Jamaica Wants Reparations, What About You?

Options
JokerzWyld
JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
I came across this article during my daily revolutionary google searches. What do you think about this case in particular, and reparations for the continent and the diaspora in general? How much would be enough? What should we invest in with the money? How should the money be dispersed? I, of course, have a plan, but I would like to hear from the group first.

I put the article in a spoiler for the folks who like to read, and the ones who don't.

theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/30/slavery-reparations-call-overshadows-david-camerons-visit-to-jamaica

article_update_img.jpg

A visit by David Cameron to Jamaica began awkwardly as the island’s prime minister pressed him to enter talks on reparations for slavery and campaigners called for him to personally atone for the slave-owning wealth of a relative in the 1800s.

Portia Simpson Miller, the Jamaican leader, raised the issue of reparations in a formal meeting with Cameron on Tuesday evening, hours after his arrival on was greeted by a military band playing ? Save the Queen.

Appearing together after the talks, she said her nation wanted to engage the UK on the matter while also being “aware of obvious sensitivities”.

However, the prime minister ignored the subject in his reply, saying his visit was about future trade ties and hailing the historic links between the two countries.

The controversy has overshadowed the first visit of a UK prime minister to the Caribbean island for 14 years.

After initially remaining silent on the issue, Cameron now faces pressure to mention Britain’s involvement in slavery when he addresses Jamaica’s parliament on Wednesday.

Jamaican opposition politicians are threatening to boycott this speech, with Ed Bartlett, a frontbench spokesman for the country’s Labour party, saying the issue of reparations was “gaining movement in the region”.

Bert Samuels, a member of the island’s National Commission on Reparations, appeared on Jamaican television to say Cameron needed to “atone, apologise, personally and on behalf of his country” for slavery.

“His lineage has been traced and his forefathers were slave-owners and benefited from slavery,” he said. “We were left behind because of racism.”

This appears to be a reference to the fact that General Sir James Duff, Cameron’s cousin six times removed, received more than £4,000 compensation for loss of 202 Jamaican slaves when the trade ended 1833.

The Press Association of Jamaica has also submitted an official complaint to their prime minister about Cameron’s refusal to take questions from the media after their talks, in contrast to US president Barack Obama.

Asked by UK reporters about reparations before his visit, Cameron said: “This is about the future relationship and about what we should be doing together economically in terms of trade and investment and this significant infrastructure fund I am announcing which will make Britain the biggest bilateral donor in the Caribbean by quite a long way. So that is what the visit is about, it’s talking about the future.”

Asked about the bilateral meeting, a No 10 spokeswoman said: “On reparations, the prime minister said he understood it was an issue for some people.

“He noted that the government abhorred slavery and indeed had passed the Modern Slavery Act to tackle human trafficking today.

“He reiterated the long-standing position of the United Kingdom that we do not believe reparations is the right approach.

“The prime minister underlined that he wanted to focus on the future and how the United Kingdom could help to spur economic growth across Jamaica.”

As part of that, Cameron announced the UK would give £300m to the Caribbean to pay for infrastructure. The UK will also build a £25m prison in Jamaica using the foreign aid budget to house around 300 of the country’s citizens currently serving sentences in the UK. Simpson Miller met Cameron’s commitments with loud impromptu clapping and embraced him at the end.

Before the announcement, Cameron met naval servicemen and women on RFA Lyme Bay, which helped the Dominican storm relief effort. It also works interrupting the trafficking of drugs, mostly ? and marijuana, in the Caribbean.

Comments

• ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's too late. Would cost trillions just to give us decent reparations.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reparations will keep up slaves. True reparations must be taken.
  • JokerzWyld
    Options
    Black people deserve reparations IMO, and not only for Slavery, but for abject and overt discrimination after slavery as well, and colonialism in Africa as well. With that said, I doubt it will ever happen. Western countries have already shown that they have no conscience.

It would require a few trillion dollars to make investments in our betterment though. Instead of just writing checks, I would start by giving federal tax-exempt status to every black person, and donating money to HBCUs. I would also give every black person half-price off College & trade School tuition. This policy would last for 100 years. #iHaveaDream
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If that ? were to ever happen it would be split between the jlp and pnp that's all
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CP203 wrote: »
    If that ? were to ever happen it would be split between the jlp and pnp that's all

Lol sad but true
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We need to take it then to receive it. I want gold and precious resources so we can use to develop our science and technology and have food and water. HOTEP!
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »

Lol sad but true

Man listen England is spending 25 million £ to build a prison in Jamaica lol
  • MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I need some new rims..........
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options

Lol sad but true

I RATHER that money go to something else but crime in jamaica is insane so that might not be a bad idea
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    We need to take it then to receive it. I want gold and precious resources so we can use to develop our science and technology and have food and water. HOTEP!

Absolutely. We need to learn to master our local natural resources.

As far as the brothers that spoke on education; I believe we need to reevaluate/redefine "education". I believe that modern day education is merely indoctrination and we don't need anymore indoctrination. But knowledge, wisdom, and understanding in universal law is imperative.

Freedom comes when we decide to be free, not when someone gives it. If someone "freed me" I'm still a slave.
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hold up...
    The UK will also build a £25m prison in Jamaica using the foreign aid budget to house around 300 of the country’s citizens currently serving sentences in the UK.

Cameron balks at mentioning reparations for slavery, but got the gall to mention this. FOH.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

As far as the brothers that spoke on education; I believe we need to reevaluate/redefine "education". I believe that modern day education is merely indoctrination and we don't need anymore indoctrination. But knowledge, wisdom, and understanding in universal law is imperative.

Freedom comes when we decide to be free, not when someone gives it. If someone "freed me" I'm still a slave.

If it ain't ever flowing as nature than it isn't education. Indoctrination is freezing the mind state in a eternal ignorance, true knowledge and wisdom is speeding the flow of energy.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not disagreeing. How come education benefits other races so much?

I think they maintain their culture while taking advantage of said education.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    LPast wrote: »

Of course. You need your identity while obtaining correct information.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tax free living would enough reparations for me. Include the samoans, Indians and Mexicans that were kicked out.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    tax free living would enough reparations for me. Include the samoans, Indians and Mexicans that were kicked out.

Tax free lol hahahahah not with these stealing liberals running all over this country.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

I agree with you on the maintaining their culture aspect, but I also believe that the "knowledge" they receive is more about who I "know" than what I know. We go through the process to get some sort of certificate of approval to gain access into certain markets in a capitalist society. They benefit from it because they are allowed access into it.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options

You are giving modern education (college degree)to much credit.

Other races benefit more from their adherence to their native cultures and it's values.

I would even argue a college degree outside of the areas of Medicine, law, engineering and finance have no community value. Many college grads have pointless degrees. It's the hookups other races have within their community that gets pushes them above and beyond.

• Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Instead of reparations for specific countries to atone for slavery, colonialism, imperialism, war crimes etc. why not just invest in helping the international poor for it's own sake?
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    its not a case of whether slave descendant should get reparations for slavery its their right to, its just a question of how the money is appropriated.

My suggestion would be free higher education for all proved slavery descendants

all paid for By British, American and European Banks that were started,funded and sustained by the Atlantic slave trade.

Oh and ? the British Prime Minister for his commentary on this subject.

^I'd like for this to happen and also for them to expand affirmative action.

A great job and possibly stock in a profitable corporation is much better than a lump some of money unless you getting millions or better.

Like someone already mentioned it would take trillions of dollars for Black folks to get reparations then would come the problem of how to disperse.

That's not to mention it would be shot down by conservative Congressmen.

I'd rather see Black folks get some of the managerial and COO jobs that are given primarily to Caucasian men and women that are oftentimes less qualified than their Black counterparts as well as stock and bonds in profitable cooperations.
  • JokerzWyld
    Options

Lol sad but true

I know. ? crazy man.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That damn pig ? ' Cameron. There's a large Caribbean contingent here so he knows it's a sticky issue. He and all his boys are still eatin' offa slave gwup and reparations would fully end that. The money these guys got in compensation smh for slavery endin' winds up in the billions these days and we'd need many trillions