After Over 10 Years, Street's Disciple Feels Damn Near Classic

Options
Trillaaaaaa
Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
Maybe my taste changed or matured since high school but this album sounding incredible to me for some reason.

I've had the album since it came out and the beats sounded boring at the time I first popped the cd in. Compared to a lot of the other ? I was listening to in 04 though, the beats aged way better.

Name some albums or songs yall wasn't feeling at all a while back but grew to love

Comments

• Trillaaaaaa
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    We must be listening to 2 different albums. SD was one of the worst albums of the decade. 10 years later and it sucks worse than ever to me

What albums have grown on you that you aint like at all when you first heard it?
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas is one of my favorites but I can only ? with maybe 5 tracks off that album.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always thoought it was an average album. I still do.

Just a Moment was hot
    Getting Married was a dope song to me.
    A Message to the Feds is one of my favorites
    Thief's Theme is tough

The first disc was better than the 2nd. I guess it's like most double disc albums in that it's just too long (pause).
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We must be listening to 2 different albums. SD was one of the worst albums of the decade. 10 years later and it sucks worse than ever to me

Nah. Nastradamus and SD are weak only by Nas standards, which are very high
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    I always thoought it was an average album. I still do.

Just a Moment was hot
    Getting Married was a dope song to me.
    A Message to the Feds is one of my favorites
    Thief's Theme is tough

The first disc was better than the 2nd. I guess it's like most double disc albums in that it's just too long (pause).

Cosign.

It was too long. Thats how I felt about Wu Tang Forever when it first dropped. I had the vinyl album which was 4 records. I don't think I ever sat down and listened to the whole thing (Wu Tang Forever) from front to back because 4 albums is 8 sides. You have to keep getting up and turning the record over.

But I had Streets Disciple on CD-R. There were a few skippable tracks but its not as bad as people make it out to be.
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    BrazilianHairMoney Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ..... Wasn't a nas fan after street disciple..... SD, is a hypercritical album that don't make sense. Not deep at all.
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Suge in jail, pac is dead and snoop gettin checked by snitchford harris
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What albums have grown on you that you aint like at all when you first heard it?

41AFSF4CX4L._SX300_.jpg

Didnt care for it when it first dropped. Checked it out a year or two later and its been a borderline classic ever since
  • soulfulcat
    soulfulcat Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    It was a solid album with too much filler.

If it was a single disc it would've been better, this is how I'd do it.

1. A Message To The Feds
    2. These Are Our Heroes
    3. Disciple
    4. Live Now
    5. Rest of My Life
    6. Just a Moment
    7. Reason (underrated Nas song)
    8. You Know My Style
    9. Street's Disciple
    10. U.B.R
    11. Virgo
    12. No One Else In The Room
    13. Suicide Bounce
    14. Me & You
    15. Thief's Theme

Came in just to say this... would've been classic as a single disc
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    Options
    Nas is a false prophet... & I'm not saying that because he make mistakes..
    & no nas didn't sleep with me or use me.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Of course you never let Nas hit.....
  • supergangster
    Options

There is no prophets in hip hop . Muhammad is the only prophet
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    Options
    Its not really about hip hop prophets.. Yes there is other prophets besides Mohammed.. I have something against men who use this title prophet to mislead, then act as if they are exposing women who are ? . Mainly in hip hop its no prophets just men with money making profit. & rappers dont expose ? , nor is hip hop a holy music.

So I hate that nas misleads.. He is just a man with money. & he don't lead, but he call himself a prophet.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Definitely a dope album. I keep going back to it every now and then. I don't forget it amongst all the other music I have which says a lot to me.
  • supergangster
    Options
    Its not really about hip hop prophets.. Yes there is other prophets besides Mohammed.. I have something against men who use this title prophet to mislead, then act as if they are exposing women who are ? . Mainly in hip hop its no prophets just men with money making profit. & rappers dont expose ? , nor is hip hop a holy music.

So I hate that nas misleads.. He is just a man with money. & he don't lead, but he call himself a prophet.

Islam is the only real relgion and to be honest this would not happend in first place if u didnt tried to chase nas money
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Options

41AFSF4CX4L._SX300_.jpg

Didnt care for it when it first dropped. Checked it out a year or two later and its been a borderline classic ever since

I downloaded this album off the strength of Watch for the Hook and Cre-a-Tine.

Too bad it was one of the worst albums I have ever heard in my life. Only album worst than this one was Mr. Serve-On's Da Next Level
  • A-OK
    A-OK Members Posts: 7
    Options
    Plug the mics up, I'm ready to rock, knockin
    Reminiscing of measuring pots of Pyrex, cook in the kitchen
    Captain Hook to these infants, it's like my folks is still on the benches
    Surrounded by villains and henchmen, was a killer convention
    1991, son, gold fronts on the ? , gun buck by the naval
    Disciple could blaze you, we laced it with embalming fluid
    Rhymin' to music all this time
    Fightin' 'bout how Kane and Rakim would do it
    Seemed impossible to us that we could ever leave
    From the block, where the world was forever freezin'
    Hell, if I ever let them shovel me, son, in this cell again, ? these
    Devil policemen, plush leathers, I need them, riskin' my freedom
    Burners in bubble coats, ? a sermon from the neighborhood pope
    He's sexing ? 's, old ? , he's busting ones when he stroke
    Multi-colored Pelle Pelle's, young stretch mark bellies
    Babies born in a cycle, future disciples

One of my favourite Nas' songs.
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options

This statement is why i can't ? with nas fans. The reaction to Streets disciple is one of the most bizarre things i've ever seen. Is it to long long? Of course. But it also contains some of the best songs of his entire career. And it's his best rapped album after Illmatic. The title track may be the best song he's ever done, and his flow is godly. People putting in the same category as Nastradamus are insane.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've always liked the album...shrugs
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This statement is why i can't ? with nas fans. The reaction to Streets disciple is one of the most bizarre things i've ever seen. Is it to long long? Of course. But it also contains some of the best songs of his entire career. And it's his best rapped album after Illmatic. The title track may be the best song he's ever done, and his flow is godly. People putting in the same category as Nastradamus are insane.

Your right, its 10x worse than nastradamus, i was ampd for this album, its super disappointing
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not a nas fan and SD is still ass juice
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »

Your right, its 10x worse than nastradamus, i was ampd for this album, its super disappointing

worst song on Streets Disciple >>> The best song on Nastradamus.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I'm assuming there were sample issues that prevented this from getting on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go36TPW5iBc