Liquid Swords platinum after 20 years

Options
supergangster
supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in The Reason
The Genius/GZA Liquid Swords album has been certified platinum, according to the RIAA

After 20 years the album is finally platinum.

GZALiquidSwords.jpg

Genius/GZA says that Geffen Records, which didn’t have many rappers on its roster when it signed him, was excited to release Liquid Swords.

"I was getting so much support because of the popularity from Wu-Tang,” Genius/GZA says during an interview with The Guardian that was published in June. "Making an album was a great feeling, and there were many hours in RZA’s house, in his basement, and hours of beat playing. We were still in our early stage, so there was so much support from everyone. I was doing the album, and every now and then a Clan member would come through. Rae would be there one day or Ghost another. It was just fun."

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.35815/title.geniusgza-liquid-swords-album-certified-platinum

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its hard to believe that Liquid Swords went Platinum before Only Built For Cuban Linx.

Then again, OB4CL was mixed kinda strange. The sound quality is busted on a few of the songs. I think GZA's record sounds better sonically.
  • supergangster
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Its hard to believe that Liquid Swords went Platinum before Only Built For Cuban Linx.

Then again, OB4CL was mixed kinda strange. The sound quality is busted on a few of the songs. I think GZA's record sounds better sonically.

It's kinda hard to say what album is better but I think OB4CL had more impact.

So this is actually Wu first platinum solo album beside Method Man?
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hipster white dudes ? love that album.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao so it took 20yrs for this ? album to go plat but new ? doing that in 6months to a yr.....old school lost
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know I'm gonna get flack for this but ? it. After supreme clientele this is the second best wu solo. Cuban Lynx is third.

Imo
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    200.gif

So Much Timeless Music On This Joint
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options

OBFCL has been plat in the US for a min now fam.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    Lmao so it took 20yrs for this ? album to go plat but new ? doing that in 6months to a yr.....old school lost

Unnecessary comment . It took 15 years for Illmatic to go platinum. With the lyrics Nas had on the album and the age he was during the time he wrote Illmatic, that itself should be platinum the same year it dropped.

Not one fck given
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great to see The Genius can say he has a plaque.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options

Spinoff question: Would you rather have your first (ok second) solo go platinum 20 years later meaning you're always reaching a new audience or would your rather go platinum right out the gate and and then be unheard of 2 years later?

• Siqnih Da Trapper
    Siqnih Da Trapper Members Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn 20 years tho? Ik he not the most popular but damn 20 years??
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Goat album cover
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options

Foh ?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »

OBFCL has been plat in the US for a min now fam.

According to this link, Only Built For Cuban Linx isn't platinum;

"Liquid Swords" just became the first Wu-Tang album in 11 years to go platinum.

It took twenty years, but GZA's magnum opus Liquid Swords has finally gone platinum. In the September edition of their monthly gold/platinum announcement flyer, the RIAA announced that the album officially crossed the threshold of one million units sold on September 15th. LS dropped on November 7, 1995.

Produced entirely by RZA, Liquid Swords is widely considered to be one of the best solo members from a Wu-Tang member, along with Raekwon's Only Built For Cuban Linx... -- also released in 1995. I guess now we're just waiting on that to go platinum too.

It is the first Wu-Tang album to go platinum since Ghostface Killah’s Ironman, in 2004.

Congrats to GZA and the rest of the Wu.

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/released-20-years-ago-gzas-liquid-swords-finally-goes-platinum-news.18091.html

Edit.

Although according to wikipedia, it sold 1.1 million
  • supergangster
    Options
    Goat album cover

Agree
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn 20 years tho? Ik he not the most popular but damn 20 years??
    Miles Davis is pretty popular. Kind of blue is considered one of most influential Albums of all times. Many artists from rock to jazz to r &b say it's their favorite. Many musicians too. Not too many ppl in music have ever been more popular than miles, in all of history. Kind of blue was released in 1959 and didn't go platinum until the late 80s, it didn't go double platinum until 1999. A good forty years later.

I guess Miles ain't ? compared to kriss kross tho, in your mind.
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hipster white dudes ? love that album.

I ? love that album.
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unnecessary comment . It took 15 years for Illmatic to go platinum. With the lyrics Nas had on the album and the age he was during the time he wrote Illmatic, that itself should be platinum the same year it dropped.

illmatic went platinum in 2001. It's at 1.8 now.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also GZA deserves this . He was like a father to all . He was the first who rapped , he taught ODB , and several others. When Raekwon and the rest of the gang were in the studio and did the music they all was inspired by GZA. ? dropped album in 1991 or so, he had cyphers with Big Daddy kane n ? . He been in the game for a very long game. He really deserve this platinum album

GZA and ODB freestyle from 1991.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PyXtdZxEss

thanks for this
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    3rd best solo wu album....classic