Kareem Abdul Jabbar Calls Michael Jordan A Sell-Out

Options
_Goldie_
_Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
edited November 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
Fair or Foul?

22a8b4f8a8a2178aeb299e4bc8ea2109.jpg

It's been nearly three decades since NBA Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar squared up against Michael Jordan on the hardwood, but the former Los Angeles Laker recently fired a few shots at His Airness on a very different playing field — politics.

"You can't be afraid of losing shoe sales if you're worried about your civil and human rights," Abdul-Jabbar told NPR. His comments were made in response to an infamous Jordan quote — "Republicans buy sneakers, too" — that dates back to 1990, which, although some say was exaggerated, has never actually been disputed by the man himself.

"He took commerce over conscience. It's unfortunate for him, but he's gotta live with it," Abdul-Jabbar said.

In the past, we've covered Michael Jordan's refusal to speak up against sneaker violence, and while this is a different beast altogether, Abdul-Jabbar's "commerce over conscience" statement rings true in both situations. Hopefully the G.O.A.T. will clap back sooner than later.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar Calls Michael Jordan A Sell-Out 72 votes

Fair
88%
Africa Unitedgnsdwade206playmaker88texas409white715S2Jblack caesaraneed123jonofortyacresRobCoLifevagrant-718Ip manharry knucklezdallas' 4 evaillestni99ainneCapitalBMr.LVThe Lonious Monk 64 votes
Foul
11%
yellowtapesportStewLPastWhoisDonG???FigoElzo69Renaissancestackmaster 313bamnboy7 8 votes

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jordan won't respond.

As far as selling out goes, while an argument can be made that Jordan has chosen to not divorce himself from Nike considering human rights violations and cultural effects here in the United States, it still is a stretch to blame any of it on him. Whether it was his name on those shoes or someone else's, those problems will still persist.

If he can at least take a portion of the money that he makes and put it to where it will benefit humanity, I can't really be mad at him.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fair
    id like to think that being an NBA star that kareem would be able to say this with more conviction than somebody who is say, an outsider to that culture.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been saying ? MJ the ? .
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Fair
    As much as I love Jordan the basketball player. Off the court he is a ? ? .

This dude is a self righteous ? . Who only serves his own personal interests

Look up Michael Jordan and private prisons
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? doing his best to find the next white hope from America in the NBA
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MJ won't get in any argument about politics.

The most pro black move he's ever made is help spike Lee finish Malcolm x when he ran out of money

Side note: MJ wouldn't have stopped violence in america over his shoes by speaking out about it...even if he cared
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Jordan is a Carolina hustler. Money Mike ain't tripping on none of that. It's all about being wealthy. To each his own , black people too worried about so called leaders when they need to be focusing on themselves. Jordan couldn't change you as an individual even if he woke up as Malcolm tomorrow morning, we expect too much out of people who we think COULD be a positive example while ignoring the blatant negative examples we see on a daily.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fair
    gh0st wrote: »
    russell-civil-rights-413x300.jpg

blog.constitutioncenter.org/2012/02/the-athletic-dream-team-youve-never-heard-of/

Kareem been a OG of standing up could you imagine if this was done today?

Dude looks like James Toney behind Kareem lol
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fair
    Fair but I rock Js
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gh0st wrote: »
    russell-civil-rights-413x300.jpg

blog.constitutioncenter.org/2012/02/the-athletic-dream-team-youve-never-heard-of/

Kareem been a OG of standing up could you imagine if this was done today?

These new athletes are too lazy and pacified to be on that today.
  • felliwonda
    felliwonda Members Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Good ass thread... Yo is a difficult topic this one man on one end you got that part were u look at Jordan and the power he has to be able to move the masses and help the disenfranchised like it was mentioned... But on the other hand you got a businessman who can't help but continue to be a businessman and not reach down to those we see that need that help, while you have some that simply.
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    Jordan is a Carolina hustler. Money Mike ain't tripping on none of that. It's all about being wealthy. To each his own , black people too worried about so called leaders when they need to be focusing on themselves. Jordan couldn't change you as an individual even if he woke up as Malcolm tomorrow morning, we expect too much out of people who we think COULD be a positive example while ignoring the blatant negative examples we see on a daily.
    Unfortunately this is true sometimes
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »

All that's ? , Mike was put in a position where he was the most revered athlete in the world. Any man that doesn't stand up to affect change is a coward ? ass ? . How can you be cool with making millions of zdollars while the ? that emulate you are being beaten, shot and mistreated on a daily basis?

Like I said to each his/her own. You absolutely right in the point you're making but is it Mike's fault totally? Are the people you say are being beaten, shot and mistreated responsible for their own actions at all? Where does personal responsibility kick in at? I understand children are impressionable but are you saying that black people need someone to show them the right way to be rich? I know that people like Ali, Jim Brown and Kareem have taken personal stances towards activism especially in regards to the black community but just because a brotha is the best at playing basketball and selling sneakers, that doesn't mean his views or personal leadership qualities is contusive to what is needed in relation to black people.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mj is just an ? but he's not responsible for sneaker violence. As for the nike sweat shops would you rather those chinks have no jobs???
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I'm keep rockin J's shrug