This is when people said Nas sold his soul

Options
supergangster
supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
When this song dropped people started hate on Nas they said he sold his soul for rappin on that beat and doin it with Keri aswell. What do you think about this song so many years after?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2K5rNGO0h8

Comments

• qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh nas ain't sell ? only negros say this ?
  • JamieShea88
    JamieShea88 Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Options
    Given that he murdered the beat, its commerciality is irrelevant.

"Try telling Bob Dylan, Bruce or Billy Joel they can't sing what's in their soul."

He tore that ? into pieces.

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Never heard anyone say that. That ? was a banger when it dropped and it still cranks now.
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    People said he sold his soul when It Was Written came out.

They said it was too commercial sounding.

A lot of people stopped listening to Nas after Illmatic. It was a perfect underground album and then he went pop.

Funny cuz aint ? pop about that album.
  • Sweat jones
    Sweat jones Members Posts: 641 ✭✭✭
    Options
    He sold his soul when he signed the contract and got ? and forced to drink his own ? or ? forget which one....

He talks about it on 'The Man'

After he tried to speak out with the ? they ? his life up with tax evasion and he aint been the same since.

Nas is fake as ?

False prophet baby
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »

A lot of people stopped listening to Nas after Illmatic. It was a perfect underground album and then he went pop.

Listen to Illmatic and then listen to It Was Written. It Was Written had a more polished sound. Illmatic was more gutter.

Personally I love If I Ruled The World, I think its a great song, lyrics are dope, singings dope, beats dope but I can see how somebody might consider that song commercial.

Also The Street Dreams video, he was wearing that suit. It was like, he wasn't Nasty Nas anymore, he was Nas Escobar. Thats what people had a problem with.

I kinda felt that way, but it might have been peer pressure from my friends at the time. I used to hang around backpackers that didn't like commercial rap.

In hindsight I don't have a problem with the path he chose, but at the time you could tell he switched lanes.
  • Sweat jones
    Options
  • Sweat jones
    Options
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »

Listen to Illmatic and then listen to It Was Written. It Was Written had a more polished sound. Illmatic was more gutter.

Personally I love If I Ruled The World, I think its a great song, lyrics are dope, singings dope, beats dope but I can see how somebody might consider that song commercial.

Also The Street Dreams video, he was wearing that suit. It was like, he wasn't Nasty Nas anymore, he was Nas Escobar. Thats what people had a problem with.

I kinda felt that way, but it might have been peer pressure from my friends at the time. I used to hang around backpackers that didn't like commercial rap.

In hindsight I don't have a problem with the path he chose, but at the time you could tell he switched lanes.

I think it more about him going the "gangsta rap" route and less about him going pop. But do I do agree there was a change.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No... Never herd anyone say that. People started to question Nas credibility at after it Was Written. Then it really got bad the period of late '99-'01. Nastradamus and those Fruit Roll Up jumpsuits he was rockin. Can't really accuse him of being a "sell out" since. There's rappers who've done way worse since then.
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I remember folks saying that about the "u owe me" track. Folks who remembered Illmatic were damn near suicidal off that ?
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope beat by Polo Da Don... Nas didn't sound right on it... cringeworthy even...
  • supergangster
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Maybe I chose wrong title of the thread but this is what I meant

What they said when Hero dropped was that Nas was trying to stay relevant in sales. People said that Hero would boost his sales, he chose to go with it as a single. Ppl was mad since the album was gonna be politcal, mean atleast what people said. So ppl was mad about that ? . I don't remember 100% but there was some station could been Hot97 they said Nas should stay on the topic and that Nas should not be rootin for album sales with that single that sound like a pop beat.
  • supergangster
    Options
    I REMEMBER LONG TIME AGO WHEN IT DROPPED ON THIS FORUM AND U ? MADE A THREAD BOUT IT..

PEOPLE WAS HATIN
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    "in ? son we trust..."
  • Bender Rodriguez
    Bender Rodriguez Members Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ahh i remember this ? and T/S is right though. people on the IC did say that ?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The beat was trash, the pop singer on the hook is even worse, but Nas pretty much always reps lyrically.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    qawshun wrote: »
    Smh nas ain't sell ? only negros say this ?

*African Americans
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That album was so bad, the ? Tape should have been the album
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _? _ wrote: »
    That album was so bad, the ? Tape should have been the album

I wouldn't say it was bad, but the ? Tape was ill and I would trade some tracks on there for the weaker tracks of untitled.