'Gifted ? ' Ben Carson calls for 'mutual respect' between police, minorities...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/261022-carson-walks-fine-line-on-criminal-justice-race
Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson on Saturday called for “mutual respect” between police and minority populations.

Carson explained his views on trying to balance criminal justice and race relations during an event at a historically black college, as he seeks inroads with minority voters in 2016.

“We have to stop allowing the purveyors of division to succeed,” he said at this year’s Presidential Justice Forum at Allen University in Columbia, S.C.

“The purveyors of hatred have come and convinced us that there is a war on women, a war on religion, a war on poor people, a war on race and war on virtually everything,” Carson told BET host Jeff Johnson.

“That’s what’s happening between African Americans and police. It’s getting people in their respective corners and hating on each other rather than talking to one another intelligently. It’s not getting us anywhere.”

Carson said the relationship between law enforcement officials and the communities they serve is at the heart of true criminal justice. He called for cooperation between police and minority populations at the grassroots level nationwide.

“There is so much malice now that they are no longer friends anymore,” Carson said. “The police have to respect the community and the community has to respect the police. That’s the thing that’s lacking – mutual respect.

“I think it makes a huge difference when people know each other,” the retired neurosurgeon added. "That’s really going to be the solution – those relationships.”

Carson said media coverage of police abuses had cast the profession in a negative light, taking away from the sacrifices most law officers make for civilians.

“I believe that police are way underappreciated. There are people who put their lives on the line every day,” he said.

“We need to take care of police officers because they take care of us. It’s a very stressful job,” Carson continued. “For those who don’t like police officers, I’d like you to think about what your life would be like if they weren’t around for 24 hours. It would be awful.

“I’m not aware of a lot of cases where police officers come up to someone like you and say, ‘I’m going to shoot you.’ ”

Johnson immediately took issue with that remark, challenging Carson with evidence to the contrary.

“I’ll show you the Tamir Rice video,” he said, referencing footage of a 12-year-old shot and killed by police in Cleveland earlier this year over a toy gun.

Carson also derided mandatory minimum sentencing and called for ex-felons to get back their voting rights upon completion of their sentences.

And he ripped the Black Lives Matter movement for ignoring some of the biggest struggles in the African-American community.

“I believe we ought to be talking about all black lives, not just a few,” Carson said, disputing the notion the movement should only focus on alleged police brutality.

“The greatest number of black lives are eliminated in abortion clinics,” he said. "That bothers me.

“In our cities, the number one cause of death in our black communities is homicide. That is a very severe problem to me. I’d like [Black Lives Matter] to mix all those things into the conversation.”

Comments

• cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hes right about abortion black woman who get abortions need to be exterminated. they are race traitors
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hes right about abortion black woman who get abortions need to be exterminated. they are race traitors

Abortion is universal. He's a ? for singling this out in one particular race. He's destructive to our community when he buries the underlying problem to our society by pointing out our "flaws" to America. I hate that ? Carson rap song.
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    optimistic wrote: »

It never ceases to amaze me how one can call abortion an atrocity, yet recommend murder as the solution

murder is a solution for those heartless ? . Everyone should have the right to start life.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It never ceases to amaze me how one can call abortion an atrocity, yet recommend murder as the solution

So we gon act like there´s no difference between murder and abortion.People are funny.
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    tumblr_nd74aextpM1rvwdbto1_500.jpg

pizza-makin' too

Herman-Cain-20679991-1-402.jpg

real talk i couldnt remember his name so i googled pizza tycoon black guy and he was the first link
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So we gon act like there´s no difference between murder and abortion.People are funny.

Uh......
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Inb4 he gets called out for placating to agitators by his peers for saying the police have to respect the communities.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He like the super mutants from Fallout.He a super ?
    This makes me ashamed og being born John Hopkins because he practiced there
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How dare this sleepy muthafucka turn this ? around to some abortion fuckery. Let's give the babies a chance to live so the cops can ? em up in 12 years. SMDH.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Birth control, facials, condoms, throat babies, abstinence, etc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>abortion.

People need to cut that ? out. If you don't have enough responsibility to practice any of this ? maybe you should keep it in your pants. Yall gotta stop killing these babies b/c you are too weak to handle a situation that YOU created.

Btw ? uncle ben carson. That tap dancing ? has destroyed everything that he once stood for.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    Birth control, facials, condoms, throat babies, abstinence, etc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>abortion.

People need to cut that ? out. If you don't have enough responsibility to practice any of this ? maybe you should keep it in your pants. Yall gotta stop killing these babies b/c you are too weak to handle a situation that YOU created.

Btw ? uncle ben carson. That tap dancing ? has destroyed everything that he once stood for.

I agree with all ya said but to me pregnancy via ? is the ONLY good reason to even consider abortion. I wouldn't blame a woman for not wanting to go through that. That's just my opinion, probably just opened a can a worms... Ah well.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's crazy that my cable guy who was white guy had a dope convo witn me about politics and he had the nerve to recommend me to Ben Carson. Told me I would appreciate his views smh. I was ? of once I found out who Ben Carson was and offended that white people assume educated blacks with a proper accent like ? . No ? , sometimes you gotta remind folks where you come from and too NOT get ? twisted. I love my black People.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Personal rights>>>>>your feelings
  • skpjr78
    edited November 2015
    Options
    grYmes wrote: »

I agree with all ya said but to me pregnancy via ? is the ONLY good reason to even consider abortion. I wouldn't blame a woman for not wanting to go through that. That's just my opinion, probably just opened a can a worms... Ah well.

I agree with that. Also an exception for the life of the mother. But if you look at the number of abortions and compare it to the number of rapes, incidents of ? and the number of pregnancies that result in death of the mother its obvious that the number of abortions is multiple times greater than all those factors combined. I agree with abortion being an option under those circumstances but youre not being honest if you think ALL or even a majority of abortions are due to those factors.

• skpjr78
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »

Life>>>>>>>>killing babies
    Birth control>>>>>>>abortions
    Adoption>>>>>>abortion
    Fire Dept>>>>>abortion clinic
    Anything in life>>>>>>>>being murked in the ?
    Having a chance>>>>>>>being murdered before your first breath
    Birthdays>>>>>>abortion day
    Life>>>>>death
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Adoption>>>>>>abortion
    Life>>>>>death

Doing what the ? you want>>>>Doing what's morally, ethically, socially correct.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Adoption>>>>>>abortion
    Life>>>>>death

In your opinion and only your opinion. Lucky you don't control ?
  • skpjr78
    Options

Adoption>>>>>>abortion
    Life>>>>>death

i control my ? , my skeetter, where it goes and where it doesnt go. thats more than enough to prevent an abortion.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Carson said the relationship between law enforcement officials and the communities they serve is at the heart of true criminal justice. He called for cooperation between police and minority populations at the grassroots level nationwide.

“There is so much malice now that they are no longer friends anymore,” Carson said. “The police have to respect the community and the community has to respect the police. That’s the thing that’s lacking – mutual respect.

Lol at "no longer friends anymore."

Fam is right but its not something you can just reboot. It'll take decades of work to change that.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Adoption>>>>>>abortion
    Life>>>>>death

i control my ? , my skeetter, where it goes and where it doesnt go. thats more than enough to prevent an abortion.

Good amd any women controls here body and if she wants to or doesn't