Total & The Notorious B.I.G. - Can't You See

Options
Antwuan89
Antwuan89 Members Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Screwtape
    Screwtape Members Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    great track, still have totals first album on cd, its a solid album, really takes me back to that specific moment in time

puffys adlibs annoy tf out of me these days though, they never used to bother me like that.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I listen to this song at least once a week
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didnt know them ? was 16 back then ?
  • Mr 202
    Mr 202 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Biggies verse make me listen to this song
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    While she ? Nesha, she sucking shisha
    Can't You See my Total; Pam, Kima, Keisha.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? still bangs 20 years later.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7th grade all the lil hoes was singing this
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My dude played this ? all day for 3 months then my other boy ? fed up and snapped his tape ? was funny as hell
  • WORLD8712
    WORLD8712 Members Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    SlimRemy wrote: »
    There was/is a magic about those records. It's a feel not just a sound. Jimi said it best "Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."

I'm sure we can get beats to sound like it, but feel is a whole other story.

I get angry and upset because I have trouble trying to explain what's wrong. And most younger listeners don't really understand. The music of today "sounds" good. You can dance to it in the club, you can bang it in your car and ride out to it. But I can't really "feel" it like that.

That's just a reminder of the era we're living in : the digital age. For one thing, artists/producers rarely even collaborate in the same room these days & I believe that 'the magic' of the track comes from the synergy between those involved.

As far as the actual sound, the production of the 90's to the mid 00's is a good representation of how the guards changed in hip hop's overall current landscape : from soul to trap. The soul in the beats were just that, as in rappers/singers were really baring their souls rather than just riding the beat. I'm a fan of a lot of new rappers & more than a few may even be better technical rappers but not many (if any at all) have the presence on tracks a lot of rappers from that era did.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    classic 5 stars.

man when i was a kid one of the first tapes i got was a bad boy's greatest hits tape, and this was on it. like a poster above said, there was just a magic about them songs B.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Love this track, but ole girl couldn't sing worth ?
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Could've Used 3 BIG Verse On This ? ..Left The Croonin For The Hooks...That James Brown Sample Was A Killa
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah

Even the Frankie Beverly And Maze crowd was listening to this

I remember..
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gotta cruise around with this... Best way to appreciate it
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I remember this season vividly. It was summer of 1995, you had;

1. One More Chance/Stay With Me (Remix) - Notorious BIG feat Faith Evans
    2. One More Chance (Hip Hop Remix) - Notorious BIG
    3. Flavor In Your Ear (Remix) - Craig Mack feat Big, Rampage, LL Cool J and Busta Rhymes
    4. Can't You See - Total feat Big
    5. Players Anthem - Junior Mafia

^^^ All of those songs were getting heavy rotation in Boston along with this mixtape;

Mister_Cee_Best_Of_Notorious_BIG.jpg

^^^ If you went to the hood record stores in Boston you could cop this tape. I knew where they sold it but for whatever reason I didn't buy it at the time it was out. I remember buying Doo ? 's 95 Live instead.

Anyway, this mixtape, Mr Cee: The Best Of Biggie may be the first of its kind. It was full of songs that Big had recorded within the past few years that weren't on his album. There was no file sharing at the time so getting these songs all on one tape was the holy grail.

2Dopeboyz page actually got a link to the original tape and the 10th anniversary tape of the original tape:
    http://2dopeboyz.com/2008/03/10/mister-cee-best-of-biggie-10th-anniversary-edition-mixtape/