Let's discuss why Black folk run away from being apart of Africa

Options

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    babelipsss wrote: »
    We African Americans have our own culture. It is admired and emulated in EVERY country in the world. We simply don't realize our appeal and influence on the rest of the world especially but not limited to people of color. It is this lingering slave mentality that blocks too many of us from seeing what everybody else knows. We don't need to be like anyone else. They want to be like us.

You can never forget your root culture where you derive from and some of our culture needs to be gone.

sadly my dude its already forgotten. that is why u cant point to a country and a city and stay this is where i come from. its not our fault.

No, isn't. Why we love beats, because our ancestors love the drums, why we create soul food, look at west african cuisine. From our dances, to our dialect, our speech, our movements and etc. We need to see where it descends from.

I can get deeper with this topic.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We African Americans have our own culture. It is admired and emulated in EVERY country in the world. We simply don't realize our appeal and influence on the rest of the world especially but not limited to people of color. It is this lingering slave mentality that blocks too many of us from seeing what everybody else knows. We don't need to be like anyone else. They want to be like us.

You can never forget your root culture where you derive from and some of our culture needs to be gone.

sadly my dude its already forgotten. that is why u cant point to a country and a city and stay this is where i come from. its not our fault.

No, isn't. Why we love beats, because our ancestors love the drums, why we create soul food, look at west african cuisine. From our dances, to our dialect, our speech, our movements and etc. We need to see where it descends from.

music is universal. every culture has music. soul food is ours. things like okra might grow in west Africa and slaves knew how to grow that but they also added things once they got here and created soul food in the south. ? not arguing that some ? didn't come from Africa. the argument is Africa is a Continent. you have to be able to narrow ? down. you are looking for a needle in a haystack if u think u can go to Africa and connect to ur roots because ur family loves okra and that ? is grown in West Africa (again a bunch of countries who have different cultures).

• Ajackson17
    Options

music is universal. every culture has music. soul food is ours. things like okra might grow in west Africa and slaves knew how to grow that but they also added things once they got here and created soul food in the south. ? not arguing that some ? didn't come from Africa. the argument is Africa is a Continent. you have to be able to narrow ? down. you are looking for a needle in a haystack if u think u can go to Africa and connect to ur roots because ur family loves okra and that ? is grown in West Africa (again a bunch of countries who have different cultures).

If you read my opening statement I already stated we come from west coastal Africa and central Africa. That has already been stated. But some of the things we have and intermingled from Europeans are few things that are good and most isn't good.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you read my opening statement I already stated we come from west coastal Africa and central Africa. That has already been stated. But some of the things we have and intermingled from Europeans are few things that are good and most isn't good.

if u say west Africa u are talking about at least 16 different countries. different cultures and subcultures. the idea of getting back to Africa can happen if we started our own country like Liberia. it can happen if a person is lucky enough to be able to figure out where their family originated at in Africa. the thought we are getting back to our roots by going to west Africa or central Africa is way too broad.

a person might say my roots are in the south. u would say where. they say Alabama and u would say ok.

we can say our roots are in Africa but where?

how do u know all of us came via a country in either west or central Africa. if we going by the slave trade how do u know that u didn't originate in north or east Africa? they had a slave trade and a route to the atlantic ocean.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

if u say west Africa u are talking about at least 16 different countries. different cultures and subcultures. the idea of getting back to Africa can happen if we started our own country like Liberia. it can happen if a person is lucky enough to be able to figure out where their family originated at in Africa. the thought we are getting back to our roots by going to west Africa or central Africa is way too broad.

a person might say my roots are in the south. u would say where. they say Alabama and u would say ok.

how do u know all of us came via a country in either west or central Africa. if we going by the slave trade how do u know that u didn't originate in north or east Africa? they had a slave trade and a route to the atlantic ocean.

DNA testing brotha. It helps, we are made up of different tribes and different groups. Don't be discourage. Try to learn from the one that you are the closest to. Which for me Yoruba in Benin next Mbundu in Angola.
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

DNA testing brotha. It helps, we are made up of different tribes and different groups. Don't be discourage. Try to learn from the one that you are the closest to. Which for me Yoruba in Benin next Mbundu in Angola.

Selling hope to the hopeless
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see why it's important to find your roots down to exact tribe and nation. Especially today in west Africa the various tribes are marrying each other. So it makes no real difference

You just come from west Africa and can claim any tribal background you wish because African Americans are a mix of all those tribes anyway.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Selling hope to the hopeless

What are you talking about?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    I don't see why it's important to find your roots down to exact tribe and nation. Especially today in west Africa the various tribes are marrying each other. So it makes no real difference

You just come from west Africa and can claim any tribal background you wish because African Americans are a mix of all those tribes anyway.

Personally i would like to know what tribe(s) i come from. Thats just me tho
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    The blunt truth is many ? are shamed of their African roots and the negative perception crackers depicted still has an effect. Them African ? scratcher jokes came from somewhere. ? is sad cuz black folk don't know their culture

I don't buy this at all. The real truth is that we were born in America, and been here for generations. You don't see White people talking about moving back to Ireland, Germany, etc. You're not seeing Asians going back to Japan, China.

What reason is there for someone to uproot their family structure and move to a foreign country? Where specifically in Africa is it better for us? Because i'm not seeing this.

Every group u name is accepting and willing participate in/with they culture tho ...but not ?

Again, what do you base this on? I hear these assertions always with zero examples. I'm also tired of people sideways about Black Americans like we "don't love ourselves", "have a slave mentality", or "reject our culture". It's all BS.

I base it on reality. ? don't claim anything African related. It aint hard to look up ur roots. It's so much traditional stuff that will just fade away cuz folk aren't interested. Most black folk descend from west Africa. How about attempting to learn about it vs dismissing it completely with the I'm black not African stuff anyway I've witnessed what I said first hand so do dismiss my point
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh, just move to Africa.

If brothers keep their eyes on the past, they will never know the future.

Before slavery happened, Africans werent sitting around all unified. There were different languages, different cultures and constant war. When ancestors were thrown in the boat, you had men who shared your skin color and thats it. All spoke different languages. You bring up this topic and generalize a whole continent or better yet, through em in one group. What country were your ancestors from? What were there tribes?

We are black americans. Centuries has passed. The connection is lost. Whats the point of the conversation when you cant find happiness in who you are now? Looking to the past wont identify who you are now. Forget Africa, build now.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

Before slavery happened, Africans werent sitting around all unified. There were different languages, different cultures and constant war. When ancestors were thrown in the boat, you had men who shared your skin color and thats it. All spoke different languages. You bring up this topic and generalize a whole continent or better yet, through em in one group. What country were your ancestors from? What were there tribes?

We are black americans. Centuries has passed. The connection is lost. Whats the point of the conversation when you cant find happiness in who you are now? Looking to the past wont identify who you are now. Forget Africa, build now.

No, I'm glad to go back to the ancestors. The past is the teacher and the present is to bring forth a better future. Studying my ancestry basically open up to me who I am in a greater profound way that pushed me into furthering my skill set and opening my eyes to what's going on into the world. I'm good the path I'm taking.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »

so you think black people can built another Mali in America?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hahaha

This thread gets made every quarter and the same old responses. ..

I would suggest the thread starter do him and not try to persuade Black Americans who are comfortable with their national identity
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    How bout we discuss why africans hate on african americans and ? it up for them europeans and let the asians come in and take ? over?

How about we discuss africans selling africans to europeans and spaniards?

How about we discuss the congo dandies?

https://www.rt.com/shows/documentary/321990-congo-fashion-conscious-men/
  • zzombie
    Options
    How bout we discuss why africans hate on african americans and ? it up for them europeans and let the asians come in and take ? over?

Africans only hate african americans when they come to america and get treated like ? by people they idolized back at home and when they see these same people not taking advantage of all the privilages they have here

Slavery had always existed in humanity is just that europeans and especially arabs perfected the art of breaking and making a slave. Some african tribes sold slaves to survive they needed the wealth slavery provided them so that they could fight off other tribes. Other african states were muslim, nuff said

congo dandies??? when you don't have ? and your surrounding look ? you like to pretend you are clean it's the same thing ? in the projects do with jordans
  • white sympathizer
    edited December 2015
    Options

Africans only hate african americans when they come to america and get treated like ? by people they idolized back at home and when they see these same people not taking advantage of all the privilages they have here

Slavery had always existed in humanity is just that europeans and especially arabs perfected the art of breaking and making a slave. Some african tribes sold slaves to survive they needed the wealth slavery provided them so that they could fight off other tribes. Other african states were muslim, nuff said

congo dandies??? when you don't have ? and your surrounding look ? you like to pretend you are clean it's the same thing ? in the projects do with jordans

What privileges persay?

Getting shot at by police or other ? ?

Banks (wells fargo) denying your black ass a home loan but giving a bunch of money to the Mexicans?

Having to work twice as hard and keep your head down much further to advance in the corporate world?

Their ancestors were 150% responsible for there even being african americans in the first place, so why the ? do you expect to come over here and get love when youll turn another black man or woman down driving your musty ass yellow cab but do all but open the door for and shine the shoes of any white boy that flags you down?

Im actually quite sick of people acting like africa is some great mecca of blackness and africans are these strong mandingo warrior ? when in actuality theyre the biggest ? in existence hands down,say what you will about the native americans and how they went out, but atleast they didnt sell their own to whitey for a pittance.

• zzombie
    Options

What privileges persay?

Banks (wells fargo) denying your black ass a home loan but giving a bunch of money to the Mexicans?

Having to work twice as hard and keep your head down much further to advance in the corporate world?

Their ancestors were 150% responsible for there even being african americans in the first place, so why the ? do you expect to come over here and get love when youll turn another black man or woman down driving your musty ass yellow cab but do all but open the door for and shine the shoes of any white boy that flags you down?

Im actually quite sick of people acting like africa is some great mecca of blackness and africans are these strong mandingo warrior ? when in actuality theyre the biggest ? in existence hands down,say what you will about the native americans and how they went out, but atleast they didnt sell their own to whitey for a pittance.

Privileges of going to school free housing free food stamps free. USA has tons of social programs scholarships, grants etc etc etc.

Africans don't come over here with a bad attitude they developed it.

And native Americans did enslave each other and us
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's discuss why Black folk run away from being apart of Africa
    THIS: (can you blame us?)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQve4J4JzKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tRzM2tZFng

• zzombie
    Options
    African Americans don't descend from the dinka tribes
  • white sympathizer
    Options

What privileges persay?

Privileges of going to school free housing free food stamps free. USA has tons of social programs scholarships, grants etc etc etc.

? who fault is that they cant go to school in africa and get an education?

And what free housing do you see? That welfare and section 8 ? got lists and limits, not to mention being on any of that ? aint no damn privelege or honor or something to strive for.

They dont come over with a bad attitude towards them crackers because they were taught to kiss their ass during apartheid and never stopped, thats why you see these congo dandie idiot ? taking credit out and putting their families way below poverty to buy the clothes of some european ? designer, them ? aint ? quite frankly.

? in the hood are very ignorant, but i aint never heard of a ? that aint got no running water or hardly any food taking out a loan to go buy some damn clothes.
  • zzombie
    Options

What privileges persay?

And what free housing do you see? That welfare and section 8 ? got lists and limits, not to mention being on any of that ? aint no damn privelege or honor or something to strive for.

They dont come over with a bad attitude towards them crackers because they were taught to kiss their ass during apartheid and never stopped, thats why you see these congo dandie idiot ? taking credit out and putting their families way below poverty to buy the clothes of some european ? designer, them ? aint ? quite frankly.

? in the hood are very ignorant, but i aint never heard of a ? that aint got no running water or hardly any food taking out a loan to go buy some damn clothes.

who's fault is it ?? until very recently the ?

there are how many projects in america??? alot everything has limits but at least here is exists

african don't hate african americans ? that ? is all in your head as yes the dandies are stupid.
  • white sympathizer
    Options

What privileges persay?

who's fault is it ?? until very recently the ?

there are how many projects in america??? alot everything has limits but at least here is exists

african don't hate african americans ? that ? is all in your head as yes the dandies are stupid.

So whos fault is it now?

Oprah built a damn school over there

And ? projects aint free, not to mention are ? as hell, again that ? aint nothing to go to another county to aspire for, thatd be like me wanting to go to europe and aspire to stay in one of those government hostels.

Africans, by in large do hate african americans, just like ? told them to, you dont see africans parlaying with african americans unless they doing hair

You go to colleges, they hang with other africans and white boys and for some reason feel like theyre superior to african americans, even going so ? as to say we stole their culture.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? hate knowledge like they hate themselves, but they love the white man. Any talk whatsoever about leaving them will make them angry. Let them lay under their masters for eternity. Those who know should abandon those who don't.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    ? hate knowledge like they hate themselves, but they love the white man. Any talk whatsoever about leaving them will make them angry. Let them lay under their masters for eternity. Those who know should abandon those who don't.

So Africans run Africa?

Or is it China France USA that holds all the resources?

How you gon move to a place when they not even in charge of it?