Was Spike Lee Wrong For Making 'Chiraq' A Satire?

Options
_Goldie_
_Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
edited December 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
With all the controversy around the movie I was interested in knowing the I.C's take on it. Below is videos from both side of the argument , one from Spike himself and the other from a Chicago native (Rhymefest) who both make good points.

Was Spike Lee Wrong For Making 'Chiraq' A Satire? 58 votes

Yes, the situation in Chicago is too serious to joke about
37%
kingofkingz[Deleted User]dwade206traestarleftcoastkevbigduece69Will Munny7figzJDSTAYWITITYoung_Chitlin_God_CashmoneyDuxTrillfateNeophyte WolfgangsaracenwiredakidfrankieMARIO_DROKingFreemanNegro_CaesarThereal_ba 22 votes
No, a film maker has the right to make anything he likes creatively
62%
gnsplaymaker88CracceRjonofortyacresanduinRobCoLifeqawshunbkkbullyKarl.PILL_COSBYIceBergTaylorSerious Juice MaynefranknittiCapitalBSwiffness!CeLLaR-DooRLPastNothingButTheTruthStoneColdMikey 36 votes

Comments

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Goat without even watching
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bout ? time he Updated the Intro on his videos...
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rhymefest want ? to know he still getting checks outchea though lol
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I get some of the criticisms about authenticity to an extent, but I prefer to hear some specific criticisms of the content of the film. Where exactly does the film go wrong in terms of its content? The point about satire isn't very compelling to me because I have no problem with someone using satire to draw attention to the absurdity of a situation. Satire in and of itself isn't enough for me to be worried about the content. I'll need to hear more about why the satire is used ineffectively / disrespectfully in the film.

I haven't seen the film yet, but so far, very little of the controversy surrounding the film has led me to believe that it's got things terribly wrong, especially since a lot of its critics haven't even seen the film.
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Why them Chicago ? not on sway trying to stop the violence. The irony of being out raged at the movie. Would there be outrage if this was a Midwest boys in the hood. Prolly not.

Side note. ? ain't say a word bout bamboozled. Lotta entertainers should been made
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I literally just watched the trailer on TV and thought to myself "I hope this ? aint satire". We don't need that ? right now.
    Gotta actually watch before completely criticizing.#a
    But nothing really funny about what's going on out there.
    ? killing each other off like Siamese fighting fish. Its a problem.
    Watching the vid. Im not feeling spikes angst about it. He's dead wrong. Rhymefest absolutely right. This some ? ? .
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I literally just watched the trailer on TV and thought to myself "I hope this ? aint satire". We don't need that ? right now.
    Gotta actually watch before completely criticizing.#a
    But nothing really funny about what's going on out there.
    ? killing each other off like Siamese fighting fish. Its a problem.
    Watching the vid. Im not feeling spikes angst about it. He's dead wrong. Rhymefest absolutely right. This some ? ? .

Thing is though Bamboozled was a satire as well but the movie wasn't funny it was straight serious ? basically the whole movie.

I don't have a problem with it being a satire and matter of fact I'm going to see it tonight or sometime this weekend!

Also its not like he needed to make another Boyz n da Hood, Menace II Society, Colors type of film. Spike came with a different approach and people ? on the whole movie based on a 1min and some change trailer. Like that makes a lot of ? sense. Yet these same folks want to tell people don't judge them by how they look without getting to know them.

Think about what some of yall are saying before even seeing the movie. You can not like the trailer but to ? on a whole movie that you haven't seen is kinda of ? up.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee is overrated, don't know why people sweat his movies, they just ok, ? caught up in nostalgia
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting topic.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    If spike or someone turned around and made a satire about that ? in Paris a lot of people would be in their feelings and you ? wouldn't be talking about his creative freedoms. Ijs. But again I haven't seen the film so...
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    RobCoLife wrote: »
    If Martin Scorsese had made this ? would be praising the film as a classic. And not one ? from Chicago would have said a thing negative about it.

Would Scorsese make a satire about the ? tho???
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    If spike or someone turned around and made a satire about that ? in Paris a lot of people would be in their feelings and you ? wouldn't be talking about his creative freedoms. Ijs. But again I haven't seen the film so...

still does not make the criticism right , its not about comparing tragedies. Satire magazines and comedians still made and are making material based on those paris attacks.

its not like its the first satire made about world tragedies.

if its smart and delivers whatever message across then there should be no problem

Any links to the ? your talking about?
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Full disclosure - Ive never been to Chicago and I haven't seen the movie..

But I have seen the trailer and heard reactions and reviews such as this one. I also know the hurt that city is going through

To me it's incredibly disrespectful and disengenous to make a satire, of all things, about the devastation being experienced in that area.

I mean - the name itself is inflammatory.

It seems to be the epitome of gross generalization to no positive end aside from money changing hands ..

All men in the Chi are savages?
    All a woman has to offer is her body?

Almost amazed that this got funding

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...horrible timing
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? dont understand satire and have not seen the movie.
    Jennifer Hudson and Angela Basset give serious dramatic performances, but y'all will never know because it's a 'satire'
    Smh
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »

But I have seen the trailer and heard reactions and reviews such as this one. I also know the hurt that city is going through

To me it's incredibly disrespectful and disengenous to make a satire, of all things, about the devastation being experienced in that area.

It seems to be the epitome of gross generalization to no positive end aside from money changing hands ..

Yeah that's exactly what Spike was getting at... Smh
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »

With knowing the definition of satire you still feel this way about the movie

Full Definition of satire

a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn

trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

If so why?
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I admit that I haven't seen the movie, so I could be completely off base about it.

Just my initial opinion, given the information I have