Was Spike Lee Wrong For Making 'Chiraq' A Satire?

Options

Comments

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    LPast wrote: »
    I'm not being cynical.... There isn't a fix... Help those that you can, and section off those you can't...

Because what you are asking is some simple ? ... Stop killing 9 year olds...

But do you know what led to them killing those 9year olds??? Its bc their arent any jobs, and ...they have nothing else to turn to

9062570-large.jpg

To be all the way real with you.... Rarely heard that used as a legitamate excuse for someone doing dirt. And when it is used it be the ? that get a job and get fired for not going to work or something lol
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ppl who indiscriminately ? usually are mentally unstable or do not value their own lives

So asking them to value someone else life is not the answer

Having a purpose, a decent job encourages self worth

Mental facilities health those with illness cope

Telling a ? who is mentally unstable or who doesn't even love himself not to ? is not going to work alone

We can lock em up, which we have been doing at an alarming rate

The question is why are ppl still choosing to engage in these self destructive behaviors?

And you want to blame drill culture, the majority of the blame should be on the music industry who rewards these artists with air play and contracts
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    Ppl who indiscriminately ? usually are mentally unstable or do not value their own lives

Telling a ? who is mentally unstable or who doesn't even love himself not to ? is not going to work alone

The question is why are ppl still choosing to engage in these self destructive behaviors?

And you want to blame drill culture, the majority of the blame should be on the music industry who rewards these artists with air play and contracts

I agree. And the bolded..... How?
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    No, a film maker has the right to make anything he likes creatively
    People need to get out in the streets. Parents should be on the porches and the stoops, watching and talking to the neighborhood children. If the babies know you're there giving them attention they won't have to seek it from the local thugs. The "conscious" community should run laps through the hood day and night and push the dealers out of the hood.

The clergy should do the same. The NOI should do the same. Boycott the liquor stores, etc. These things will create an environment for an economy in the hood to grow.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    People need to get out in the streets. Parents should be on the porches and the stoops, watching and talking to the neighborhood children. If the babies know you're there giving them attention they won't have to seek it from the local thugs The "conscious" community should run laps through the hood day and night and push the dealers out of the hood.

The clergy should do the same. The NOI should do the same. Boycott the liquor stores, etc. These things will create an environment for an economy in the hood to grow.

I agree....but those are behaviors of those who are selfless in some regard. And selfishness is rampant these days.....
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Let's be honest Spike's directing style made this movie a 6/10. The movie isn't really trash but it's far from good. The kid who made Creed and Fruitvale Station would've did a better job.

Only Spike can get us out of this
  • Lord Ether
    Lord Ether Members Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm kind of jaded in my opinion about this film now. The conscious community is kind of split on wether this is a good film or not. I need to see it again to give it a deeper analysis. Naw I might stick to my opinion. I will admit people have brought up some good points.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW_5rOBlEOE
  • desertrain10
    Options

I agree. And the bolded..... How?

It's largely subconscious, but when you have a job or even a trade, you have a continuous source of feedback that you have value and you are a contributing member of society

You have purpose

Than to be able to buy things on your own instills in a person a sense of pride

It's a big reason why a lot of communities used to fund youth summer and after school job programs

There's also studies that find teens with high gang membership significantly exhibit lower self esteem than their peers and don't have close family ties
  • desertrain10
    Options
    People need to get out in the streets. Parents should be on the porches and the stoops, watching and talking to the neighborhood children. If the babies know you're there giving them attention they won't have to seek it from the local thugs The "conscious" community should run laps through the hood day and night and push the dealers out of the hood.

Good post

I wish more parents were active in their child's life and their neighborhoods

But than I know a lot of parents especially single parents that are busy working and going to school just trying to maintain

That ties into globalization and stagnant wages which has devastated communities in places like Detroit, MI that depend on the manufacturing jobs for living wages

Than there's the parents who struggle with abuse substance
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good post

I wish more parents were active in their child's life and their neighborhoods

But than I know a lot of parents especially single parents that are busy working and going to school just trying to maintain

That ties into globalization and stagnant wages which has devastated communities in places like Detroit, MI that depend on the manufacturing jobs for living wages

Than there's the parents who struggle with abuse substance

In no way do I mean to indict the parents. This is due to the society that we live in. However, something has to change. We may have to compensate for those low living wages by moving in with the parents/grandparents. Large familial units are good for babies, and can be more economically stable than a single-parent household. I wish I had all of the answers, but the issue is very complex.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't be afraid to hold parents accountable
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So it's like a clockers 2?
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Conscious community" run the dealers off of the streets...

I remember when I was this naive. Listen no one is running off dealers/gangs. The members of the community would have to regularly put their lives at risk. Who's going to do that?

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    To skip past all the psychobabble I'll just say the movie was trash. It's School Daze with guns it was a cool idea but the movie wasn't good. All those great actors too damn shame.

For clarity's sake I will say I'm not a fan of musicals and or ? singing out if nowhere in movies, so I may be biased.

u hate everything made after 1996 B.C.E ...

• Lord Ether
    Options
    @D0wn why did you give me a flag?
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Truth is Spike lane of filmmaking been closed...
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lord Ether wrote: »

Hmmm lets see
    I'm kind of jaded in my opinion about this film now. The conscious community is kind of split on wether this is a good film or not. I need to see it again to give it a deeper analysis. Naw I might stick to my opinion. I will admit people have brought up some good points.

Not being firm in your OWN opinion... allowing your OWN personal experience to be based on others...Instead of sticking to your OWN..

• desertrain10
    edited December 2015
    Options

Don't worry we aren't ...

For years, suburban municipalities have required parents to pay fines or restitution when their children are caught breaking the law

Parents are also often timed required to pay the costs incurred when their child is incarcerated in a juvenile detention facility

Resulting in poor parents incurring thousands of debt

Even now in Chicago parents are being thrown in jail because they could not afford to pay truancy fines

Not sure how that'll help these children or their parents, but we have to hold ppl accountable right?
  • Lord Ether
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

Hmmm lets see

Not being firm in your OWN opinion... allowing your OWN personal experience to be based on others...Instead of sticking to your OWN..

And then after that . I said i would stick with my opinion. I'm not trying to put our people down, but I think satire goes above some of their heads. The new generation has been dumbed down.
  • Brother_Five
    Options

For years, suburban municipalities have required parents to pay fines or restitution when their children are caught breaking the law

Parents are also often timed required to pay the costs incurred when their child is incarcerated in a juvenile detention facility

Even now in Chicago parents are being thrown in jail because they could not afford to pay truancy fines

Not sure how that'll help these children or their parents, but we have to hold ppl accountable right?

I was referring to castration
  • desertrain10
    edited December 2015
    Options

Funny

But can we drop this idea poor blk parents are largely incompetent, don't value education, need an lesson in parenting

Or that we aren't holding them accountable

It's not the reason why places like Chiraq exist
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So it's like a clockers 2?

639c364988408c98cbedbe7256be5dbf.jpg
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options

Funny

But can we drop this idea poor blk parents are largely incompetent, don't value education, need an lesson in parenting

I wouldn't say largely.... But I would argue lax parenting does play a part. Did you watch this from my AA culture thread? How do you feel about this?

https://youtu.be/k9BKXQ8ROlw
  • desertrain10
    edited December 2015
    Options

Funny

I wouldn't say largely.... But I would argue lax parenting does play a part. Did you watch this from my AA culture thread? How do you feel about this?

https://youtu.be/k9BKXQ8ROlw

Poor blk parents are no less moral or care no less for their children than their middle class, wealthy peers

The only thing that seperated these two groups is money and access
  • Brother_Five
    Options

Funny

There are parents who are not adequately supervising their children. That is not an indictment of all black parents. If 3 or 4 of your kids are gangbanging, we need to have a convo about your lack of parenting.