When did the Source Magazine start losing its mic rating credibility?

Options

Comments

• mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1999 or when it came out Benzino was in charge
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    No limit definitely had some good ? .

Ice cream man is dope to me and I'm from ny
    Bout it bout it will always be my ?
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No limit definitely had some good ? .

Ice cream man is dope to me and I'm from ny
    Bout it bout it will always be my ?

They sure did. I may not like everything they put out. But the albums by TRU, C-Murder, Mac, Fiend, Soulja Slim, Mia X, Mystikal, Mr. Serv-On and Kane and Abel were dope to me. A lot of people just like to hate No Limit because of the singles and videos. They probably never listened to an album in its entirety.
    If I call somebody wack, I give them a chance at least then state my opinion.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Lil Kim's "The Naked Truth" got 5 mics & Common's "Be" didn't?
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What No Limit albums got 4 mics that were undeserving?

Any album that wasn't his project.

Mystikal_9689.jpg
    You showed a magazine cover of P...they would've been stupid not to feature him on the cover - he was selling hella records at the time. I'm curious to see all these 4 mic ratings you talkin about.

What the ? does even mean? E-40 was going platinum when The Source was relevant and he never got a Source cover. It took MCA dying for the Beastie Boys get a Source cover and they're one of the most influential and important groups in the history of hip hop.

You Down South cats always get all in your feelings when ever the subject of the wackness that emanated from that tank label is brought up. Fifteen years after the fact, you're still are under the delusion that No Limit Records had drop artists and produced good music, not only that, you're trying to convince the rest of the world of it too.

Master P is the genesis of the garbage music that's out today and you Down South cats are the blame for it because ya'll muthafuckas supported that ? en masse. There was a myriad of reasons why Richmond, (and the Bay for that matter,) didn't support P, and one of is the muthafucka was straight trash, (on top of the fact that he was stayin' bitin' ? ? .)

With the exception of Mystikal, every No Limit artist was a no talent, flowless, no lyric havin' hack who had no business even looking at a microphone let alone recording albums for the masses. Instead of wondering why hip hop community doesn't like Master P and No Limit, y'all need to ask yourselves why love the dude's music so much. the only thing positive I can say about No Limit is that at least they were the one's writing that ? .

Yall call this ether? I asked for examples of albums that got 4 mics and this little boy wrote a three part trilogy about how the south ? his mom while he was in the next room trying to sleep. Tell me how you really feel bruh...we can work through this together.

And aint nobody talking about how great P's music is; he was on the cover cause he sold millions and millions of records. He was on the first cover of the XXL too...it's called marketing what's hot at the time.

• illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I personally quit ? with the source when this album didn't get the 5 mics it was deserving.

littlebrotherminstrelshow_1.jpg
  • cyb3rtr0n
    cyb3rtr0n Members Posts: 3
    Options
    man, why they ban and jail a ? ? wtf yo
  • cyb3rtr0n
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @KillaCham ...

my bad about the signature. I'll remove it pronto yo. let me get my account back
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cyb3rtr0n wrote: »
    @KillaCham ...

my bad about the signature. I'll remove it pronto yo. let me get my account back

you dont belong on this site. u seem too ? to be on a forum. like one of them ? ass ? that got a dell for his birthday. no disrespect. keep doing your thing
  • cyb3rtr0n
    Options
    gemini86 wrote: »
    cyb3rtr0n wrote: »
    @KillaCham ...

you don't belong on this site. u seem too ? to be on a forum. like one of them ? ass ? that got a dell for his birthday. no disrespect. keep doing your thing

lol, ? you
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when stillmatic got 5 mics.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Benzino was cool with one of the founders
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Benzino was cool with one of the founders

DAVE MAYS
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man people were ? about The Made Men album getting rated so high. I even paid for that ? lol. Outkast never got 5 mics and we hated that ? too. Made men killed them.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What No Limit albums got 4 mics that were undeserving?

Any album that wasn't his project.

Mystikal_9689.jpg
    You showed a magazine cover of P...they would've been stupid not to feature him on the cover - he was selling hella records at the time. I'm curious to see all these 4 mic ratings you talkin about.

What the ? does even mean? E-40 was going platinum when The Source was relevant and he never got a Source cover. It took MCA dying for the Beastie Boys get a Source cover and they're one of the most influential and important groups in the history of hip hop.

You Down South cats always get all in your feelings when ever the subject of the wackness that emanated from that tank label is brought up. Fifteen years after the fact, you're still are under the delusion that No Limit Records had drop artists and produced good music, not only that, you're trying to convince the rest of the world of it too.

Master P is the genesis of the garbage music that's out today and you Down South cats are the blame for it because ya'll muthafuckas supported that ? en masse. There was a myriad of reasons why Richmond, (and the Bay for that matter,) didn't support P, and one of is the muthafucka was straight trash, (on top of the fact that he was stayin' bitin' ? ? .)

With the exception of Mystikal, every No Limit artist was a no talent, flowless, no lyric havin' hack who had no business even looking at a microphone let alone recording albums for the masses. Instead of wondering why hip hop community doesn't like Master P and No Limit, y'all need to ask yourselves why love the dude's music so much. the only thing positive I can say about No Limit is that at least they were the one's writing that ? .
    The label was pretty corny overall and Mo B. ? was the worst hook man of all time, but they did drop some heat from there. Tru 2 the game, Ghetto Dope, Fiend there's one in every family, shell shocked, Mia X was dope, I kinda liked Soulja Slim and Mystikal was good. They are definetly not the worst label ever.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the guy with the stick in his nose from 3 6 was more than likely Lord Infamous

lol @ max rex tryna start the region ? , ? worry bout bumpin keak da sneak or some ?

i aint een gon lie tho i wasnt the biggest no limit fan myself, im more cash money.
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stop frontin, yall know damn well that it started when he started exposing the great white hope!
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When benzino gave the hangmen 3 5 mics

The ass in that sig....
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When they gave wack ass Bun B 5 mics.....
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Lots of misinformation.. Made Made album Classic Limited Edition was originally given 3.5 mics.. Benzino added a mic to the rating given it 4.5 mics hoping it would help his group.

The other album Kurupt Double Album Kuruption Elliot Wilson wanted to give it 3 mics. Dave Mays peoples had produce a song on the album and wanted to give it 4. Last minute without telling Elliot Dave gave Kurupts album 3.5 mics.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Dave Mays became Benzino's ? ...

The Eminem beef, plus using the mag for his own personal gain brought it's demise.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First Benzino used the mag to push his group & his own silly ass rap career. Made Men's album got 4.5 mics even tho no one outside of Mass really checked for them (plus they were terrible). Then came the Em beef which basically came at a time where Interscope had some of the hottest albums out there so their opinion was ? . Add that along with them changing Little Brother's Minstrel Show rating (from 4.5 to 4 thanks to Benzino). Then the fuckery of The Naked Truth getting 5 mics (while Dave May's was ? Lil' Kim's manager) & you get The Source on that path to no one gives a ? .

It's sad too cuz from the early 90's to the beginning of the 00's it was a dope mag people bought religiously including me.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    grYmes wrote: »
    First Benzino used the mag to push his group & his own silly ass rap career. Made Men's album got 4.5 mics even tho no one outside of Mass really checked for them (plus they were terrible). Then came the Em beef which basically came at a time where Interscope had some of the hottest albums out there so their opinion was ? . Add that along with them changing Little Brother's Minstrel Show rating (from 4.5 to 4 thanks to Benzino). Then the fuckery of The Naked Truth getting 5 mics (while Dave May's was ? Lil' Kim's manager) & you get The Source on that path to no one gives a ? .

It's sad too cuz from the early 90's to the beginning of the 00's it was a dope mag people bought religiously including me.

Little Brother actually got 5 but Zno changed it to 4.5 because his words " They weren't giving Jeezy a fair chance "meaning his own Source staff.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    grYmes wrote: »

Little Brother actually got 5 but Zno changed it to 4.5 because his words " They weren't giving Jeezy a fair chance "meaning his own Source staff.

I've always herd conflicting stories that it was either 5 or 4.5 originally. Deserved a 5 IMO.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When they went back and re rated albums, that ? was a wrap for me...