NWA INDUCTED into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. Hip Hop Won

Options

Comments

• Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Saying it again. 2015 has been the best year in hip hop for a loooong time.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ice Cube on N.W.A's Rock Hall Induction: 'It's Hard to Sum Up in Words'
    "This means that the group's mark is solidified and legitimatized," says MC

BY ANDY GREENE December 17, 2015

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ice-cube-on-n-w-as-rock-hall-induction-its-hard-to-sum-up-in-words-20151217

720x405-GettyImages-137749699.jpg
    N.W.A's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction caps a huge year for the Compton rap legends.

N.W.A had been on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's ballot three times before, but 2015 was no ordinary year for the Compton rap collective. In August, their biopic, Straight Outta Compton, hit movie theaters to rapturous reviews, earning over $200 million and lots of Oscar buzz. It reminded the world just how impactful N.W.A was during their brief time together, and probably helped them finally get into the Hall of Fame. We spoke with Ice Cube about the induction, his vision for the ceremony and even the possibility of an unlikely all-star jam with fellow inductees Deep Purple, Chicago, Cheap Trick and Steve Miller.

Congratulations.

Yeah, man. I'm extremely excited about it.

Who told you the news?

My publicist.

Your first reaction?

I kept asking, "Are we in-in, or are we nominated? I know we're nominated, but are we actually in the Hall?" She had to let me know a few times that we're actually in.

What does this mean to you personally?

It's hard to sum up exactly what it means. It means a lot of things. It means that the group's mark is kind of solidified. It's all legitimized in a way because the whole music industry has to honor the group in a way. It's just hard to sum up in words, really.

It's the culmination of a pretty insane year for you guys.

Yeah. It's everything that kind of eluded us in a lot of ways when we were coming up. So many people were opinionated about N.W.A. I think everyone now at this point, no matter how you feel about us, understands what the group actually did and what it means to modern music. I think the movie helped to get people to remember that.

I think the movie also gave a context to the music. People that maybe weren't paying attention to what was happening in Los Angles back then can see it and understand what led to your music.

That's the thing that we were trying to show the audiences. Everyone knows the where and when, but a lot of people didn't know the why. The movie was able to connect some of those dots for people. Why were five youngsters out of Compton, California, rapping about this kind of stuff? It was basically trying to make sense of the world around us, in a lot of ways.

The more time that passes, the more it becomes apparent how impactful you guys were.

I believe so. It's funny. History could blur the lines and dull people's memories, but since me and Dre are really still smack dab in the middle of pop culture on a lot of different levels, it hasn't. I think that helps to keep the memory alive of what really went down back then. This movie and us being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is really a way to remember and set it in stone. It's great.

Do you think you guys are going to perform at the ceremony?

I want to. I think we can get Ren, Yella and Dre together. I think Snoop might do an honorary Eazy. I can't speak for him, but we'll ask him. We'll probably ask a few people.

They're doing it at the Barclays Center. If you guys get on the stage, you'll just destroy the place. It'll be incredible.
    It'll be great on all levels. We'll see what ends up happening, but I'm definitely down.

Did they tell you the other inductees?

No.

It's going to be Cheap Trick, Deep Purple, Chicago and Steve Miller.
    Wow. That's a nice lineup.

Are you fans of those groups?

Not really, but I know they're big [laughs]. I've been hearing their names all my life, though.

There tends to be a big all-star jam at the end of the night. Will you want to take part in that?

I don't know [laughs]. It's all about if we can do something cool. If we're doing something and it's feeling kind of corny, I won't want to do it. If we can do something cool ... I think the audience wants to see something cool. They don't want to see some forced medley.

Do you see hip-hop as an extension of rock & roll?

I think that just like any new music, it borrows from the music that's already there. Rap is a piece of rock & roll, but there's also a piece of soul, a piece of R&B, a piece of blues — all of that music that comes before it. I think rap captures the spirit of rock & roll just like rappers and guys who do rock & roll capture the same spirit, but they might go in different directions with it. But it's the same spirit.

"I think [Eazy-E would] be real excited because he was always fighting for legitimacy."

There's only a handful of hip-hop acts in the Hall of Fame. It's you guys, Public Enemy, Run-D.M.C., Beastie Boys, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. That's good company to be in.

My ? . That's like the cream of the crop when it comes to groups that made an impact. What's funny is that the hip-hop group basically started to fade away with Wu-Tang Clan. It went from groups, groups, groups to solo, solo, solo artists. I would be interested to see who is the next solo rapper that makes it into the Hall. That would be interesting.

Do you think Eazy would be happy about this?

I think he'd be real excited because he was always fighting for legitimacy, whether it was trying to get out of the dope game and become a legitimate, productive person in society. Also, the industry talked a lot of ? . This would please him I think because the music that we did is a force to be reckoned with. We got some of the most creative, talented people in N.W.A that's ever been compiled in one group. It's just exciting that the group as a whole gets recognized by the whole industry as Hall of Fame worthy.

The induction ceremony isn't that long after the Oscars. It would be crazy if the movie is nominated and these things happen back to back.

Wow. I think that would be one of the biggest years for any artist or group ever. The movie was the biggest biopic in history and being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ... Anything the Academy even thinks about giving us that day, it will be a year that will be hard to top. I just appreciate all of this. I really do.

Like Dre said at the end of Straight Outta Compton, DAMN THAT ? WAS DOPE! It's been a good year for the World's Most Notorious Group. I'm glad they got in and it's a well deserved honor. However, I do see that it takes a dope movie to get you on the public's radar. Hopefully somebody like Spike Lee or John Singleton will do a Public Enemy movie so they can get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I sincerely hope that ? Tha Police gets nominated for an Oscar for Best Song and win. That would be hella cool to see these punk ass cops all up in their feels behind that ? .

• JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who cares about the rock n roll hall of fame
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When does it air on tv?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why did you click the thread?

Obviously YOU care
  • Igot5onit
    Igot5onit Members Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are we always looking for validation from whites? ? the Rock and roll hall of fame.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Obviously YOU care

I clicked on a thread so that shows I care about the rock n roll hall of fame?

:s

What a ? dusty EASTCOAST ? lol
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options
    Igot5onit wrote: »
    Why are we always looking for validation from whites? ? the Rock and roll hall of fame.

• Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Public enemy are the goats and all

But why were they inducted before NWA? Didn't have the same impact imo.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options
    Ice Cube on N.W.A's Rock Hall Induction: 'It's Hard to Sum Up in Words'
    "This means that the group's mark is solidified and legitimatized," says MC

1992 cube rolling over in his grave

• 5 Grand
    Options

Obviously YOU care

Well the thread title says, "NWA INDUCTED into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame"

If you didn't care then you wouldn't have clicked the link, unless you habitually click on threads you don't care about.

Personally, I look at the thread title and if its not something I'm interested in I don't click the link. I guess I assumed thats how everybody uses message boards.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options

Obviously YOU care

If you didn't care then you wouldn't have clicked the link, unless you habitually click on threads you don't care about.

Personally, I look at the thread title and if its not something I'm interested in I don't click the link. I guess I assumed thats how everybody uses message boards.

He's a ? loser, pay him no mind.
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm happy for Nwa an all, but those other inductees are ? . Not that weren't good but it's supposed to be the best of the best. How the hell is chicago in but the cure keeps getting passed over.
  • ethos
    ethos Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There's only a handful of hip-hop acts in the Hall of Fame. It's you guys, Public Enemy, Run-D.M.C., Beastie Boys, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. That's good company to be in.

Like Dre said at the end of Straight Outta Compton, DAMN THAT ? WAS DOPE! It's been a good year for the World's Most Notorious Group. I'm glad they got in and it's a well deserved honor. However, I do see that it takes a dope movie to get you on the public's radar. Hopefully somebody like Spike Lee or John Singleton will do a Public Enemy movie so they can get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I sincerely hope that ? Tha Police gets nominated for an Oscar for Best Song and win. That would be hella cool to see these punk ass cops all up in their feels behind that ? .

Did you read the article you posted? Public Enemy is already in there...
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Probably because Chicago has been around longer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Chicago is a 70s band and The Cure is an 80s band.
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thats true. But Chicago was never a great band, cheap trick has one song anyone cares about. The Cure made like 5 straight classics and constantly reinvented themselves. Disintegration is one of the defining albums of the 80's, Just like heaven is one of the defining songs of the 80s. It would be like putting Terry cummings or kiki vandeweghe in the nba hall of fame but leaving out Dominique Wilkins. The way they vote on acts is just bizarre.
  • K_Fisher
    K_Fisher Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mackanaven wrote: »
    F that make a rap hall of fame.

Was thinking the same thing when I read title.

• kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the first Hip Hop solo artist will be LL Cool J

the 2017 class should be..

Chic

The Spinners

The Cars

Def Lepp

Yes

2018 class....

Chaka Kahn w/ Rufus

The Smiths

Janet Jackson

Iron Maiden

LL Cool J
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

Obviously YOU care

He's a ? loser, pay him no mind.

Get off my ? and tell your mother to come here ?
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options

Obviously YOU care

The purpose of a forum is the exchange of conversation .....you may not have a thirst for the topic but the conversation a topic sparks could garner your interest ......even having to explain something this simple illustrates your dusty ass nigganess :s

You are a true New York niggaroach
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Obviously YOU care

The purpose of a forum is the exchange of conversation .....you may not have a thirst for the topic but the conversation a topic sparks could garner your interest ......even having to explain something this simple illustrates your dusty ass nigganess :s

Sorry but I'm from Massachusetts.

And if you didn't care about NWA being inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame you wouldn't have clicked the link. Its that simple. No need to make this any more complicated.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options

Obviously YOU care

And if you didn't care about NWA being inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame you wouldn't have clicked the link. Its that simple. No need to make this any more complicated.

Lmao A dusty Massachusetts muskrat ......even worse! :s

You're a scumbag with poor reading comprehension ability ..... :#

Sad
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mackanaven wrote: »
    F that make a rap hall of fame.

Didn't vh1 try this?
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Obviously YOU care

Sad

I'm actually bored enough to entertain you;

1. Why am I a scumbag?
    2. How do I have poor reading comprehension ability?
    3. What is a "dusty Massachusetts muskrat" and how is that worse than being a "true New York niggaroach"?
    4. If you don't care about the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, why did you enter this thread?
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    edited December 2015
    Options

Obviously YOU care

Sad

I'm actually bored enough to entertain you;

1. Why am I a scumbag?

2. How do I have poor reading comprehension ability?

3. What is a "dusty Massachusetts muskrat" and how is that worse than being a "true New York niggaroach"?

4. If you don't care about the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, why did you enter this thread?

1.It was preordained from birth ask your mother

2.I clearly explained why I posted in the thread yet your pea sized brain has relegated you to being cognitively inept ...which leads you to continue to ask a question that has been answered

3.A Massachusetts Muskrat carries all of the putrid characteristics of its dusty east coast cousin the New York Niggaroach (? ,Decrepit & Useless) but the distinction comes in the fact that they also STINK :s

Yet You're Proud Of It .....

SAD