What is so special about J. Dilla?

Options
_God_
_God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
Seriously besides him not being with us anymore? I've heard his product. And only about 5 percent of his beats my favorite rapper would spit on. Honestly if I wanted to hear jazz I would listen to al jarreau or Herbie Hancock. To me jdilla product sounds like a ? who loves jazz and wanted to reproduce with a pinch of hip hop.

Honest question and statement, no disrespect to jdilla and his fans.

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    He made dope beats, but we know "dope" is subjective.
  • _God_
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    He made dope beats, but we know "dope" is subjective.

I only ever heard boring backpack rap beats
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you arent a fan of producing hip hop hes not for you
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    How many bangers he made

Q-Tip, Kanye, Pharrell, RZA & Dr Dre know what it is with Dilla. Heard all 5 give Dilla his props
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Not a big fan of Dilla, but "didnt cha know" is one of my favorite beats of alltime.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how long u been listening to Dilla stuff?
  • _God_
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »

I haven't I just heard how good he was for the last 12-14 years
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    _? _ wrote: »
    Fosheezy wrote: »

I haven't I just heard how good he was for the last 12-14 years
    the ? drum work and his vibes is nice as ? . he focused on feeling in his music. i think the the main thing most people love about him

but he one of those artists that lure you in slow like...u won't be hooked if u only been exposed to a song here and there. but if u study his ? , like over the course of a few months, it's easy to understand how he was coming in his music... the more u understand what he was trying to do in his music the more respect and appreciation u get from it and that's ? get a hold of u and it won't let u go so easily
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let that man RIP
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dilla is the ? . From his stuff with Tribe on Beats, Rhymes, Life to his own solo stuff. The beat CD's he's made & compilations.. Not everything is perfect but no one really is. The Shining however is a great album hands down. Everyone ain't for everybody tho.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    HIS BEST ? WAS WITH COMMON AND BUSTA.
    FANTASTIC VOL. 2 & DONUTS IS AMZING ? ALSO...
    BUT I KNOW HIS UNDERGROUND RUN (POST ELECTRIC CIRCUS) ISN'T FOR EVERYONE
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i feel he's overrated, i dont quite see the hype, but at the same time

runnin
    stressed out
    find a way
    tainted

all great tracks
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    As some have said already, alot of dilla's music is an acquired taste. In the sense that a casual listener may hear one beat from him, and although they may think its hot, they probably wouldnt care to listen again, or explore the other tracks he's made. but for one to see why he's special, they would have to study and internalize his entire body of work.

sonically, he's made so many transitional changes that it would be a disservice scrutinizing just one segment of it. however he can be considered your favorite producer's favorite producer. A majority of the heavyweights (havoc, premier, dre, kanye, just blaze, pharrell, pete rock, q tip) have acknowledged his greatness and have given him the nod. he also, imo, had some of hardest hitting drums. thats basically a result of him eq'ing the hell out of them. they also had a human feel to them because, unlike many other producers, he wouldnt quantize them at all.

yea i guess one can make the argument that he's slightly overrated (although i would disagree with that immensely). but i think a majority of that argument relates to his death. an artist's death can sometimes propel them to a mythical-like status. with every artist's posthumous legacy, overzealous fans can often get carried away with too much approbation. however, that shouldnt negate from the mark he's left and the impact his sound has had on modern producers like flying lotus, robert glasper, black milk. even outside of hip hop, his influence is felt. indie rock/shoegaze bands like the horrors, golden silvers, and the mystery jets have mentioned how much of an effect he's had on them
  • mike_tech
    mike_tech Members Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    Options
    RIP dilla but i have always thought he was very overrated with his beats, there are joints he has that I really like but overall his beats are not as dope as the hype of his legacy imo.
    to me he is like mf doom, i find extremely boring and overrated but ppl who like him think he the best thing ever
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    thank you. he's one of those people that white people gravitate to because they feel not enough Black people are hip and they are starved to be in on something that everybody else aint.

Like Tech 9. I respect his hustle, but thats about it.

and i only knew him as JD. i never heard the dilla name until he died.

• qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _? _ wrote: »
    Seriously besides him not being with us anymore? I've heard his product. And only about 5 percent of his beats my favorite rapper would spit on. Honestly if I wanted to hear jazz I would listen to al jarreau or Herbie Hancock. To me jdilla product sounds like a ? who loves jazz and wanted to reproduce with a pinch of hip hop.

Honest question and statement, no disrespect to jdilla and his fans.

Felt the same way until i found out dude made a Lot of hot ? that i didn't know he made
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dilla my ? . He is a real ? best producer in da game with Havoc, RZA, Hi-Tek and Dre!
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And he basically birthed one of my faves...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o6I4yXgw80

• EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black milk reminds me of dilla alot .
    Not quite as soulful or mellow tho...