Ladies, do you find that hip hop and rnb are getting more disrespectful?

Options

Comments

• jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree that video was some ? ? , but my mans red cafe be spittin
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Red cafe? Lololololololololololololololololilololololololololol no sion
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That bryson tiller trapsoul held a ? down when my girl dipped no lie.

CPm5soGW8AAG8tU.jpg

• KingFreeman
    Options
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tell me this don't sound like a plies record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQHzuMiMDc
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

CPm5soGW8AAG8tU.jpg

Im stealing this fam

Trapsoul is my ? man
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? searching for obscure old records to combat the argument that music today is more ? than it used to be.

But whatever. ? stupid.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    ? searching for obscure old records to combat the argument that music today is more ? than it used to be.

But whatever. ? stupid.

ill be the first one to say I'm not contributing to the discussion in any way...that was just hilarious to me
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's make hip hop and rnb great again!
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You got songs like

"These hoes ain't loyal"
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    You got songs like

"These hoes ain't loyal"

Modern day version of me and Mrs Jones
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    http://youtu.be/UCasBry5OJk

Young boy coming with that ? . Had that avant flow.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great thread, It's not just hip hop and rnb, all music has been watered down in the mainstream.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All the singers wanna be like the rappers now. Everybody goin out they way to be tough. I blame R. Kelly, ? switched it up once he dubbed himself the r&b thug. Been a long time since i heard ? consistently singin about somethin like they meant it.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New Addition is the bridge between classic r&b and the sexually charged music we have today
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    New Addition is the bridge between classic r&b and the sexually charged music we have today

Yeah
    Candy Girl was raunchy as ?
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options

CPm5soGW8AAG8tU.jpg

I drove by after his show was over last week... bad ? Everywhere (echo)
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There has always been lude and lascivious lyrics but it wasn't as popular and available.

I know first hand that they were just as bad back in the day. My grandpa sang a song where he changed the words to something that didn't have ? to do with the original. I cant remember what he said exactly but it had to do with ? and tying some woman up. He said they used to sing that ? back in the day in the army.

My grandpa a man of honor, valor and wisdom was singing this ? right at the dinner table like it was 1955.

Me and my sister both were like did anybody else hear this ? ?
    6v8rt.gif

• JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Any woman who feels disrespected and/or offended by hip hop is weak-minded. I say this for three reasons.

1. No artist has ever referred to ALL women by pejorative terms (hoe, ? , ? , etc.). Therefore it's safe to assume that those terms are used to refer to females that fit those characteristics. Such terms, if not applicable, shouldn't offend.

2. Hip Hop nor the artists thereof necessarily make music for women. In fact, it's a male-dominated genre that speaks to a male audience from a male perspective. Some argue that that's misogynistic, however, how many songs and genres of music have been dedicated to women? Even hip hop songs have been dedicated to uplift women at times.

3. Women, like male fans of hip hop, choose to consume this brand of alleged "mainstream hip hop" and, therefore, are to blame for it's popularity. Many hip hop artists don't make songs denigrating women of any class, but they don't get supported. Some hip hop artists can make singles that don't mention women at all, and they are ignored by many.

If you disagree, fine. What you should do is write radio and music industry executives and tell them to change the content of the music they play and manufacture. See what their responses are.

Weak?

So in defense of the misogny present in mainstream hip-hop, you dismiss or belittle women for taking offense...Word? Lol. That's pretty sexist of you

As for the other points you made. ..

1. I think for many, it’s not that words like "? " or "hoe" are necessarily the problem, but the power behind these words....Traditionally these terms have been used to demean women, and emasculate men.

So naturally when a woman hears the words ? or hoe, especially out the mouth of a man, it can serve as a reminder that as an opinionated womn or a sexual woman or a woman who is not interested in appeasing men you are not going to be as socially accepted as your male counterparts. You are a bad person.

Obviously thats not good. We than have to ask what message does that convey to a young impressionable boy or girl

Than since women are not inherently “? " another problem with its usage is that we can never differentiate properly on who “deserves” the title and who does not

2. Artist make music with a certain audience in mind, not sure how the discounts my feelings as a woman hearing something many would consider misogynistic. We don't live in a bubble. Than there's the misogny in RnB

3. Yes we all share some accountability. The artist, the labels, record execs and the consumer.

With that said, I grew up on hip hop. But the older I get the less mainstream music including hip hop appeals to me.

I can barely stomach watching some rap videos

I wrote "weak-minded" actually.

Some things in society interest men, somethings interest women. Women throughout the history of music have been the primary audience and inspiration of many genres of music, almost to a fault. I remember reading about Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" album and how Berry Gordy didn't want to make it because it didn't have any love songs for the ladies. Marvin refused to budge on the project, Gordy distributed the record, and Motown came out with it's most timeless and popular album of that era. The lesson learned is that artists can make music without accommodating the female audience. Men are an audience too. Men like music of different content and substance sometimes.

To my point about the so-called offensive terms: Ice Cube wrote on the N.W.A. record "A ? Iz A ? ," "now the title ? don't apply to ALL women" which indicates that ? is not a universal reference toward women in general. He goes on to say "it's like a disease that plagues their character/ taking the women of America/ and it starts with the letter B/ it makes a girl like that think she's better than me." His interpretation of that word refers to women with certain character flaws and attitude problems, not ALL women. So again, if the word doesn't apply, it shouldn't offend.

Now, to my use of the word "weak-minded;" I use that term for the women/men who allow the conservative media & radical feminist agenda shape their opinion of hip hop. The fact is that some hip hop artists and songs don't mention women at all, and yet they are not supported by women in general, and feminists in particular. Listen to Common, Pharoah Monche, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Yasiin Bey, Lupe Fiasco, Rakim, Nitty Scott MC, etc. The mainstream part of hip hop music is not indicative of the whole.

If you don't like Hip Hop and you disagree with me entirely, fine. Go and pick up a pen and paper and write letters to radio & record executives and get them to change the content they play and manufacture.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Any woman who feels disrespected and/or offended by hip hop is weak-minded. I say this for three reasons.

1. No artist has ever referred to ALL women by pejorative terms (hoe, ? , ? , etc.). Therefore it's safe to assume that those terms are used to refer to females that fit those characteristics. Such terms, if not applicable, shouldn't offend.

2. Hip Hop nor the artists thereof necessarily make music for women. In fact, it's a male-dominated genre that speaks to a male audience from a male perspective. Some argue that that's misogynistic, however, how many songs and genres of music have been dedicated to women? Even hip hop songs have been dedicated to uplift women at times.

3. Women, like male fans of hip hop, choose to consume this brand of alleged "mainstream hip hop" and, therefore, are to blame for it's popularity. Many hip hop artists don't make songs denigrating women of any class, but they don't get supported. Some hip hop artists can make singles that don't mention women at all, and they are ignored by many.

If you disagree, fine. What you should do is write radio and music industry executives and tell them to change the content of the music they play and manufacture. See what their responses are.

Weak?

So in defense of the misogny present in mainstream hip-hop, you dismiss or belittle women for taking offense...Word? Lol. That's pretty sexist of you

As for the other points you made. ..

1. I think for many, it’s not that words like "? " or "hoe" are necessarily the problem, but the power behind these words....Traditionally these terms have been used to demean women, and emasculate men.

So naturally when a woman hears the words ? or hoe, especially out the mouth of a man, it can serve as a reminder that as an opinionated womn or a sexual woman or a woman who is not interested in appeasing men you are not going to be as socially accepted as your male counterparts. You are a bad person.

Obviously thats not good. We than have to ask what message does that convey to a young impressionable boy or girl

Than since women are not inherently “? " another problem with its usage is that we can never differentiate properly on who “deserves” the title and who does not

2. Artist make music with a certain audience in mind, not sure how the discounts my feelings as a woman hearing something many would consider misogynistic. We don't live in a bubble. Than there's the misogny in RnB

3. Yes we all share some accountability. The artist, the labels, record execs and the consumer.

With that said, I grew up on hip hop. But the older I get the less mainstream music including hip hop appeals to me.

I can barely stomach watching some rap videos

I wrote "weak-minded" actually.

Some things in society interest men, somethings interest women. Women throughout the history of music have been the primary audience and inspiration of many genres of music, almost to a fault. I remember reading about Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" album and how Berry Gordy didn't want to make it because it didn't have any love songs for the ladies. Marvin refused to budge on the project, Gordy distributed the record, and Motown came out with it's most timeless and popular album of that era. The lesson learned is that artists can make music without accommodating the female audience. Men are an audience too. Men like music of different content and substance sometimes.

To my point about the so-called offensive terms: Ice Cube wrote on the N.W.A. record "A ? Iz A ? ," "now the title ? don't apply to ALL women" which indicates that ? is not a universal reference toward women in general. He goes on to say "it's like a disease that plagues their character/ taking the women of America/ and it starts with the letter B/ it makes a girl like that think she's better than me." His interpretation of that word refers to women with certain character flaws and attitude problems, not ALL women. So again, if the word doesn't apply, it shouldn't offend.

Now, to my use of the word "weak-minded;" I use that term for the women/men who allow the conservative media & radical feminist agenda shape their opinion of hip hop. The fact is that some hip hop artists and songs don't mention women at all, and yet they are not supported by women in general, and feminists in particular. Listen to Common, Pharoah Monche, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Yasiin Bey, Lupe Fiasco, Rakim, Nitty Scott MC, etc. The mainstream part of hip hop music is not indicative of the whole.

If you don't like Hip Hop and you disagree with me entirely, fine. Go and pick up a pen and paper and write letters to radio & record executives and get them to change the content they play and manufacture.

Again I'm not sure how something that was created and produced for public consumption is above public reproach regardless of its core target audience

Also not sure how the fact that there are women that support misogynistic content makes it any less misogynistic or offensive to others

The verse from cube was not necessary. As I already stated since women are not inherently “? " one of the problems with its usage is that song to song, artist to artist we can never differentiate properly on who “deserves” the title and who does not. But what is definite is that the word has traditionally been used to demean women and emasculate me

Not all all hip hop is bad. I listen to Common and Lupe. But like other forms of media, such as tv and film, a lot of Hip hop and RnB that makes the radio and to our tv sets today is misogynistic, explicitly hyper sexual, violent, etc...I would contend that you are deaf and blind if you can't see that

With that said, misogyny is social problem. Its a wider problem with society that manifest it self in different ways in different locations and sub- sections of society. Everybody, including music artists and consumers, contribute to the culture of misogyny in different ways. Thus we all share accountability
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was taught at an early age the difference between entertainment and real life so most music doesn't phase me.

Anyways, I'd rather hear Rick Ross rap about ? than watch Bill actually go through it. At least I already know everything Ross say is a lie...

I balance my misogynistic music with my soulful music. Some days I'm selling dope in my head, other days I'm healing my spirit.

I am interested to see how the next generation will push the envelope of decency though... Like will r. Kelly ever run out of sex euphemisms? Who's gonna be the next Nicki?

Hiphop is supposed to be rebellious and underground. By that I mean it shouldn't have mass appeal. Everybody shouldn't approve of all of the content. I don't. But I can also appreciate a creative flow/lyrics, great beats, and literary skills.

But if all you listen to is degrading music, maybe it's time to branch out from the genre. Because what you put in is what you get out.

My playlist has Coltrane next to ? c, Sade followed by some jeezy,etc...

The bold is the key word out of your whole post. Have to understand that most of these kids out here barely being taught their abc's and 123's. So to them without being taught the bare minimum they don't know there is huge ? difference between real life and entertainment. With TV and the really now the internet more so than TV raising kids they don't know the difference and its ? destroying them in real life when they realize ? don't work like they saw it on TV, youtube or worldstar.

What kids and ? people listen to and watch over and over again does affect the mind IMO. We are seeing the results of that with no guidance and plan by those who hate us to flood us with the ? .
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nobody can deny there is misogyny in a lot music but at the same time women need to be held accountable for their actions just as much as the folks trying place blame at the feet of said misogynist.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Nobody can deny there is misogyny in a lot music but at the same time consumers need to be held accountable for their actions just as much as the folks trying place blame at the feet of said misogynist.

Fixed that for you