Did he produce "the light"?

Did he produce or copy and paste?

bobby caldwell open your eyes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPgMjXhqmfw

Lol at this post
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    then reopen the thread then hear this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP8DBF2KyTU

then /thread.
    http://youtu.be/Tfp-2jp8M3w

How can dilla be praised so much but alchemist not recieve the same if not more love. I know dilla is prolly a major influence of alc but I alc makes a more soulful beat while dilla seems make jazz beats.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeeeess baby!

Thanks for the confirmation beat was mad chill

• Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeeeess baby!

Thanks for the confirmation beat was mad chill

kys
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dilla is one of those few that I can actually remember where I was when I found out he passed. That speaks to his greatness.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First Dilla song I heard was One Won't Do when I came across the video in a hip hop site in 2006. I remember having trouble figuring out what the video was about as it almost seemed like a tribute to someone who died but at the time I had no idea it was him the guy rapping that had died or who he was. I thought illa J was the ? rapping. I remember thinking "hmm I don't know where this guy came from but he not bad! Plus he knows common William and talib. And kept replaying that ? like over and over. Lol. Then few weeks went by and terminology did a song on the Two Can Win beat I notice he mention the name Dilla. Still didn't know who he was. Next thing i knew, a 3 years and some change went by without me hearing much else about this Dilla guy, then, out of nowhere, that same year in 2010 some how I find myself in Best Buy copping the jay stay paid album. Can't remember how or what lead me to it but I knew to buy it. That's when I start digging found out he died back on 2006 started connecting the dots on all that ? I heard on One Wont Do and all. And From there I start studying his whole ? .

That same year in 2010 I discovered Nujabes by accident from a hip hop documentary that just so happen to play Just Forget instrumental in the credits and it caught my ear . Found out Nujabes died that same year I discovered him in 2010 similar to how I didn't discover Dilla till after death . Dug into Nujabes catalog for a few months and got hooked for a while but then went back to Dilla months later. Couldn't believe how much material I was finding on him. And I gotta thank ? for him My life really haven't been the same ever since I got heavy into Dilla
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dilla's music changed my life before I even knew it did. One of my favorite songs as a kid was Pharcyde's Drop. I didn't even know what a producer was but that beat was ridiculous to me.

https://youtu.be/N4QZ89VCrIs

I started reading the album booklets around then and saw the name "Jay Dee" in there. Didn't know if it was Jermaine Dupri or not back then until I started to do more research. Been following and listening to anything involving him since. The hard kicks, the euphoric sounds, the bounce, those sine wave basslines. I could listen to ? like this all day.

https://youtu.be/AWbtrKQYkQo

https://youtu.be/TyST6lyJHK4
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I get chills whenever stop plays on the shuffle
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Man I get tired of people having to make excuses as to why they like Dilla. "He's an acquired taste" or "he's not for everybody." Wtf? People love to ? on Dilla or call him overrated or something, but be calling other producers the GOAT. Other producers who are probably just as good but not better than Dilla. He is one of the best to ever do it and it's time people realized that. Use your googles!
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EyeofAsaru wrote: »
    His work is like ? minimalist abstract basement boom bap with a traces of jazz/soul..He also made some spaced out dark beats at times..Guess battling the lupus brought out some krazy ? at times

Some of his beats sound rich but skeletal with pockets perfect for a emcee to get their bars off

It sounds like Detroit ..best way eye can describe it..

You either like it or u don't..Most of dillas work is acquired taste save for the few commercial tracks he produced

Respect, but Imo its disrespectful to even have to explain it. Like he a ugly browd who u gotta explain her good personality or sum ? lol. Never heard a ? explain Dr Dre's sound, or Pharell's sound. If his ? ass dont like it, he dont like it

My favorite Dilla beat, Skyzoo spit over it for his tribute track. Utterly amazing

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg96yJRzYxA

Some genius on YouTube loops all his beats for an hour. Fam im about to get so much work done over this. Might even be inspired to write

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aiSqklIgP00
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its the way he produced. ive been into sample-based production for about 15 years now, and a good way to explain what i do is like this.... i take a small piece of a song (maybe 5 seconds), chop it up into pieces (like a puzzle) and then put the pieces back together in a way that makes it sound totally different then it did originally.
    what dilla did was similar to that, but the way he chopped up his samples and put them back together, he was a visionary. he didnt folllow the rules and templates that most musicians follow. so it was fresh and different at a time when most hip hop production had a similar template. plus dilla was one of the first well known producers to not use quantize--to keep his beats sounding loose and maybe even very slightly off-beat. plus he also had a great understanding of sound. he knew how to mask sounds with other sounds.

• Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Think Twice >>>>
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The same can be said about any producer, from Dr Dre to Pete Rock to Preemo to Bang Em Smurf to Kanye to anybody producing, everybody got differents sounds and if you not into that particular sound then it's not for you.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I first noticed the skills of dilla on busta it aint safe no more album. Because of him he had me interested in production at a young age.
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u heard what pusha said on his album bout dilla
  • _God_
    Options
    u heard what pusha said on his album bout dilla

I listened to pusha album and once again 0 replay value so I missed what he said
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he's a producer's producer
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Has TC heard OB4CL2? It's an album with production from Rza, Dr. Dre, Pete Rock, and Eric Sermon and J Dilla had the best beats on the album. That's saying something.
  • _God_
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

U think he better than alchemist?
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    _? _ wrote: »

U think he better than alchemist?

yeah
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like Alchemist but he can't see Dilla. Alc the GOAT white producer though.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Rick Rubin? Jake One?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rick Rubin? Jake One?

Rick Rubin. I forgot he is white. Alc got Jake One
  • _God_
    Options

Rick Rubin? Jake One?

Rick Rubin. I forgot he is white. Alc got Jake One

Alc got Rick Rubin too