Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Options

Comments

• (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    The Finn complaint
    I'm sorry about dudes up and arms about Finn is wrong. There are too many instances where we look at roles and don't appreciate them because we ourselves think they are stereotypical. There was absolutely nothing wrong with his role. It would've been the exact same case if dude was white, I guarantee it. And that's what we should want, not any special treatment just fairness.

You have to think, Finn couldn't do much but shoot a blaster which most storm troopers are trained to do. They are supposed to be expendable that's why there are so many of them. Everything that he encountered it was his first time encountering it and he picked up on it all really fast. There was no token black guy moment to be had. He is one of the leads and drove the story.
    One thing about Finn, dude didn't have any kick ass moments. Great acting, courageous character, but I didn't see anything that showed me dude was awesome. Everybody in the movie has their moment, Poe the most, even Chewie went ham for a hot second. I ain't see that with Finn. The times he did, it was in a bumbling way. He'd try and then fail or need help. Rey's sidekick is the best way to put his role here. Cool movie, but it is what is.

And after all that dude got friend-zoned at the end of the movie. LOL. And then this dude was in sanitation in The First Order it's later revealed, which was really strange to throw in. Like why the hell was he suddenly sent to the front lines? So what he got promoted? Well, where was any of that military training that got him promoted at? I'm just saying.
    No bad ass moments? Shooting down the tie fighters during his escape w/ Poe? Gunning down Captain Phasma on Jakku? Being the only non force user/droid to wield a lightsaber in battle? Actually giving Kylo Ren a couple slices? And I didn't get any type of inclination that he got friend zoned. Rey just had to go off and complete the mission of finding Luke.

Some of these gripes are coming off real nitpicky.
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    The nitpicking some of you dudes doing is ridiculous.

? talmbout blackholes n ? in a scifi fantasy, lmao.

And really need exposition of Finn's job title in the first order , really ??

There are like 2 more movies to go , maybe ya'll will get the Malcolm X Finn you desire in 8&9 lol.

People that complain about Finn haven't watched the film.
  • (ob)Scene
    Options
    The Finn complaint
    I'm sorry about dudes up and arms about Finn is wrong. There are too many instances where we look at roles and don't appreciate them because we ourselves think they are stereotypical. There was absolutely nothing wrong with his role. It would've been the exact same case if dude was white, I guarantee it. And that's what we should want, not any special treatment just fairness.

You have to think, Finn couldn't do much but shoot a blaster which most storm troopers are trained to do. They are supposed to be expendable that's why there are so many of them. Everything that he encountered it was his first time encountering it and he picked up on it all really fast. There was no token black guy moment to be had. He is one of the leads and drove the story.
    One thing about Finn, dude didn't have any kick ass moments. Great acting, courageous character, but I didn't see anything that showed me dude was awesome. Everybody in the movie has their moment, Poe the most, even Chewie went ham for a hot second. I ain't see that with Finn. The times he did, it was in a bumbling way. He'd try and then fail or need help. Rey's sidekick is the best way to put his role here. Cool movie, but it is what is.

And after all that dude got friend-zoned at the end of the movie. LOL. And then this dude was in sanitation in The First Order it's later revealed, which was really strange to throw in. Like why the hell was he suddenly sent to the front lines? So what he got promoted? Well, where was any of that military training that got him promoted at? I'm just saying.
    I see both sides but I think his moment will come which leads me to believe he will have the most development. He will grow into "that ? " just like they are grooming Ren to be a better version of himself.

I think the janitor part just turns it into him being an unlikely hero. He was just a mere janitorial stormtrooper but in turn he saved the galaxy. That sounds better than all galaxy badass saves the day. We see that all the time so I'm ok with his portrayal. He had moments for sure but they weren't grand, I can agree with that.

Now after Ep 8 and he ain't had his moment we can be like wtf but in Ep 7 with Finn its like a learning process. Everyone else involved were basically vets or had an advantage. Poe is an elite pilot and Rey is force sensitive who has been living on her own since a child so she knows how to handle herself. He'll get his shine.

Idk if this is a spoiler but anyway
    Does anybody else think the quip about "yes this is what the resistance looks like" a shot at the racists/doubters for casting a black lead?
    Yeah, I thought that exact same thing when he said that line.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options

There are like 2 more movies to go , maybe ya'll will get the Malcolm X Finn you desire in 8&9 lol.

Ridiculous? LOL, yeah, I'll be that then.

This series means something to folks childhood, so they gonna eat up whatever they can get. I understand. Y'all in here saying it's gonna get greater later.. I'll just let y'all marinate on that.
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agrv2385 wrote: »
    If Anakin can find redemption after slaughtering a bunch of kids then
    Kylo Ren can find redemption after killing his own daddy. He still can get back to the light side before this trilogy is over

No , he deserves that work for that ? , I will not forgive that treachery.
    seriously if luke had killed vader would there have been redemption for him? nah reno crossedd that line. but i like it, hes triller than vader was power wise
    that was my thinking as well. Luke was tempted by his anger and the emperor to ? his father and join the dark side at the end of ROTJ but he didn't and gave us the "I'm a jedi, like my father before me" line.

Ren chose to ? his father, which I think shows he's fully gone to the darkside now
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aight I do got 1 complaint. Pretty minor...
    Captain Phasma. I remember being hyped that they had Brienne of Tarth in this ? . They literally could've had anybody in that suit and it would've been the exact same. Wasted character. I know the nerdy side of Gwendoline Christy was just happy to be there. But she was wasted in this role.
    She's having a bigger role in episode 8 and probably 9 too
  • (ob)Scene
    Options

Ridiculous? LOL, yeah, I'll be that then.

This series means something to folks childhood, so they gonna eat up whatever they can get. I understand. Y'all in here saying it's gonna get greater later.. I'll just let y'all marinate on that.
    No. We're saying that you should marinate on the fact that you're complaining that we weren't provided any promotion or battle training montages of Finn with the First Order.
  • cannonspike1994
    Options
    artakartel wrote: »
    What they got paid:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-harrison-ford-was-paid-76-times-what-newcomers-daisy-ridley-and-john-a6780391.html

Harrison Ford: £16.7 million +0.5% of the films gross + an additional £1 million in compensation for his leg being broken on set

JJ Abrams: was paid £3.3 million to direct + 2% of the film's gross

Carrie Fisher: £1 million

John Boyega: £300,000 + an unspecified cut of the box office
    Daisy Ridley: £300,000 + an unspecified cut of the box office

Disney is trynna be slick they knew this movie would be big bank , smh at them cutting such small checks , them cats better get paid for 8 & 9.

They get a cut of the box office this movie is estimated to make 2 billion at the box office. There going to make millions off this movie
  • cannonspike1994
    Options
    How the ? did Harrison Ford get paid more than the director and writer of the film.
  • gifted
    gifted Members Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Options
    These unknown newcomers would've signed up for free. It's an opportunity of a lifetime that opens up other doors. Harrison Ford rightfully gets paid what he gets because he is an established legend and they need him as a key piece to tell this story. Damn a percentage of profits gonna be nice.

Not big on star wars but I enjoyed this movie. A good balance of action, sci fi and storytelling as well as a homage to the original.
  • gifted
    gifted Members Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Options
    John Boyega (Finn) surprised the audience and introduced the movie at the cinema.
  • bscoop
    bscoop Members Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    Options
    artakartel wrote: »
    What they got paid:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-harrison-ford-was-paid-76-times-what-newcomers-daisy-ridley-and-john-a6780391.html

Harrison Ford: £16.7 million +0.5% of the films gross + an additional £1 million in compensation for his leg being broken on set

JJ Abrams: was paid £3.3 million to direct + 2% of the film's gross

Carrie Fisher: £1 million

John Boyega: £300,000 + an unspecified cut of the box office
    Daisy Ridley: £300,000 + an unspecified cut of the box office

Disney is trynna be slick they knew this movie would be big bank , smh at them cutting such small checks , them cats better get paid for 8 & 9.

If you do the numbers they did all them ? ? .
  • cannonspike1994
    Options
    gifted wrote: »
    These unknown newcomers would've signed up for free. It's an opportunity of a lifetime that opens up other doors. Harrison Ford rightfully gets paid what he gets because he is an established legend and they need him as a key piece to tell this story. Damn a percentage of profits gonna be nice.

Not big on star wars but I enjoyed this movie. A good balance of action, sci fi and storytelling as well as a homage to the original.

300 000 though ??

atleast make it about 750 000

It's in British pound s they probably got paid around $500,000.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As far as Kylo Ren is concerned
    Luke and Leia were supposed to Balance the force, so it makes sense that their kids would be the ones, im not closing the chapter on him being all villany
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Finn complaint

My point exactly. He was a dancing ? that got friendzoned and the whites and ? loves it.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Finn should be in the Guinness book of world records for the most Ls taken.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I need Episode 8 to have more scenes with Po and Fin the actors had great chemistry and Rey as well.
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "an unspecified cut of the box office""

Smart kids.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spoiling this just to be safe but
    cosign whoever said that ? about Phasma earlier. They could've put anybody in that armor. Idk why it was kinda of a big deal that Brianne was cast for that role when she didn't really do ? . But then again it's only part one of the trilogy and I don't think she died unless I missed something
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh, and what's the consensus on Snoke,
    based on what little we saw of him?
  • big_chris67
    big_chris67 Members Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    The theater i was in only had 8 people in it and saying it was 8 is pushing it and this was after i got a email saying they had to switch my seats and move me to a bigger theater, i was sitting dead center with only 8 people on it. And I don't know what previews they showed ya'll but that Civil War ? is gonna be off the chain, and they showed a preview of a cartoon movie called Zootopia where a rabbit was at the DMV trying to get some help from a slow ass sloth, that ? was funny as ? !!!!
    JJ Abrams will always be known as the man that killed Han Solo R.I.P

Man, we had ? previews.

No civil war or batman vs superman

Got

TMNT
    Independence Day
    X-Men

But did get this funny cartoon "The Secret Lif of Pets" from the creators of Minions. Looks funny.

DAMN we got batman vs superman, civil war, AND Independence day and that garbage ass TMNT