Any Advice For Someone Working ~65 hours/ week ?

Options
Stiff
Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got this fulltime job at a stockroom for this uniform supply company. It works from 6 AM - 2:30 PM Monday thru Friday

And then I got this part time job at a warehouse lined up where I would be working from 3:30 PM to around 11:30 PM 3 days a week

So there might be some days where I would have to work about 16 hours on about 4 hours of sleep. I'll probably have free weekends and on days where I only work the first job I'd get off at 2:30 so that'd be cool to me.

Any advice on how to get by with minimum sleep on those days? Energy drinks? Coffee? How to stay focused? Maybe diet suggestions? Any help appreciated.

The end goal is to save up enough money to buy a foreclosed property with some partners and then either renovate it to flip it or rent it out.

Comments

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Keep it G there are plenty of other legit buisness you can get into without slaving away. I mean I work 40 a week on top of fulltime school ? and doing whatever I need for the army and still got my side hustle which is starting to become my main hustle selling firearms. Fairly cheap and easy to get into and way more longterm stability then houses.

Put to answer your question 5 hour energy work and it doesn't have like a crashING after affect
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Good luck to you brotha.

While in Grad School, I used to work for a sandwich joint. Hours stretched till 4 AM some nights. Some 12 hour days, but rarely 16.

I slept when I could and I made sure I had some Energy Drinks on deck - usually Monster or 5-Hr Energy. I was in school and had few responsibilities, so that might be a little different than your situation.

It sounds like you will have to find a cadence that works for you, along with the subtle things that help you out.

? speed reaching your goals.

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Stiff
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Keep it G there are plenty of other legit buisness you can get into without slaving away. I mean I work 40 a week on top of fulltime school ? and doing whatever I need for the army and still got my side hustle which is starting to become my main hustle selling firearms. Fairly cheap and easy to get into and way more longterm stability then houses.

Put to answer your question 5 hour energy work and it doesn't have like a crashING after affect

I know this here to be true but with my current skill set and experience levels most jobs I can get are around $10-11 / hr range until I get back in and finish school. I used to work at a credit union so this time around I wanted something where I wouldn't have to deal with the general public. I picked up the full time job for the benefits but I really like the part-time job for the skills I'd learn and be able to put on my resumé down the line.

I couldn't see myself selling guns tho
  • Stiff
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    Good luck to you brotha.

While in Grad School, I used to work for a sandwich joint. Hours stretched till 4 AM some nights. Some 12 hour days, but rarely 16.

I slept when I could and I made sure I had some Energy Drinks on deck - usually Monster or 5-Hr Energy. I was in school and had few responsibilities, so that might be a little different than your situation.

It sounds like you will have to find a cadence that works for you, along with the subtle things that help you out.

? speed reaching your goals.

Preciate that bro. Yeah I think the main part of it will be just finding a rhythm that works for me. I'm not in school at the moment ( i might go back one day) but I don't have kids or anything so my life is pretty light right now
  • Stiff
    Options
    Dont ? with those energy drinks

Do you ? with caffeine at all?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    Dont ? with those energy drinks

Do you ? with caffeine at all?

No with all the stress you need to make good choices in your intake.. look up a natural alternative.. your health is a premium
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah you have to prepare everything in advance food, clothes what your going to take with you advance make everything convenient
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My advise would be to start investing energy into a side hustle/low key talent or skill you have and wean yourself off of being an employee. Eventually if you are working 65+ hrs a week, it will be for what you're building, and you can take some of that money and flip property.

As far as lack of sleep goes it is what it is. There are only 24hrs in a day, but keeping the body healthy is important. Leave the energy drinks alone and keep the body properly nourished and lack of sleep won't be be as much of a factor. But sleep is essential.

Green and Black Teas have natural caffeine as well and have no crash.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I promised myself I wouldn't dedicate 16 hours of my day to anything I didn't love. Money isn't worth it, the stress alone is an energy drain.

Get some green tea though, you might want to sweeten it (I don't) but its good for ya. Leave those energy drinks and anything packed with sugar alone.

Snack on nuts, if you not allergic, specifically peanuts as they give energy. Drink plenty of water and sleep well.
  • Stiff
    Options
    My advise would be to start investing energy into a side hustle/low key talent or skill you have and wean yourself off of being an employee. Eventually if you are working 65+ hrs a week, it will be for what you're building, and you can take some of that money and flip property.

As far as lack of sleep goes it is what it is. There are only 24hrs in a day, but keeping the body healthy is important. Leave the energy drinks alone and keep the body properly nourished and lack of sleep won't be be as much of a factor. But sleep is essential.

Green and Black Teas have natural caffeine as well and have no crash.

I quit my last job in Jan. 2014 .. I was doing my hustle since then but eventually ? went left. Right now I'm in kind of a transition so I can get things in order. This situation is by no means permanent.
  • Stiff
    Options
    Koltrain wrote: »
    Start planning each week in advance, including your meals. Try not to fall into a habit of eating fast food alot because it's quick.
    Its cliche, but eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and drink a lot of water. Eat frequent small meals vs infrequent big meals. It might be worth it to check out some type of multi vitamin.. i think enery drinks are cool, but just remember that too much of anything can be bad....good luck bruh

Yea this right here the move just have everything laid out. Preciate that
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you gon work that much. Might as well do it for yourself. Every endeavor i've ever undertaken in life started off slow, everything. But if you put those kinds of hours in on something you have a passion for, it will be worth it in the end, and faster than you think. You'll thank yourself later on. Quarter raises every 90 days don't stand up to building something you love on your own, monetarily or morale. I wake up before my alarm clock goes off. I used beat the breaks off the snooze button before I jumped off the porch on my own.
  • Stiff
    Options
    You're going to burn out. Scratch the part time job, and become an uber driver.

I think I can handle it if I manage it well. I'm not going to be doing it forever..it's just a means to get to an end (buying property)
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The real gem is to do something you like.Because healthy people die too but happy people live longer than all kinds of people.You should work to dedicate yourself to give the means for you to do something you really like.
  • Stiff
    Options
    _Lefty wrote: »
    If you gon work that much. Might as well do it for yourself. Every endeavor i've ever undertaken in life started off slow, everything. But if you put those kinds of hours in on something you have a passion for, it will be worth it in the end, and faster than you think. You'll thank yourself later on. Quarter raises every 90 days don't stand up to building something you love on your own, monetarily or morale. I wake up before my alarm clock goes off. I used beat the breaks off the snooze button before I jumped off the porch on my own.

That's the goal man...I just need some capital and to clean up my credit
  • _Lefty
    Options

How old are you?
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You should start there in my opinion.
  • Stiff
    Options

How old are you?

• vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I could never do that 2 jobs ? . If my job don't pay enuf for the lifestyle I want then I'm going to find another job that pays more for same hours. I'm too old for this multiple jobs/slaving ?
  • _Lefty
    edited December 2015
    Options

How old are you?

You should be good for a minute runnin that schedule because you still young, but not too long. Life a turtle race. Slow and steady beats burnin the candle at both ends everytime. Especially over time. It's better to work 8 hours 7 days a week than workin 16 5 days a week. But if you got it in you, you'll know better than everybody answerin. Just take care of your body. Drink lots of water, get sleep when you can, try to live stress free, and stay away from sugar, caffeine, and fatty foods. You're askin your body to do a lot, it will give you what you're askin for provided you treat it right. Anything less is like puttin 85 octane in a corvette. Energy drinks are the devil. Coffee has its own long term effects, and refined sugar, simple sugars are one of the worst things for your body and mind.