Car mows down over 30 pedestrians in Las Vegas; 1 dead...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/20/us/las-vegas-strip-accident/index.html
The Las Vegas Strip was blocked off after a car mowed down more than 30 pedestrians Sunday night, authorities said.

At least one person is dead and seven are in critical condition, fire officials said. Medics tended to 37 people.

Authorities don't yet know whether the incident was an accident or intentional. The driver was in custody and was undergoing various tests, including one for alcohol, authorities said.

Rows of ambulances and police cars gathered at the scene, their lights flickering. A witness described a chaotic scene as people fled.

"Everyone was running ... and as I was running, I saw a car up on the sidewalk coming toward us," a witness told CNN affiliate KLAS. "I saw a lady, she didn't seem like she wanted to stop the car, she had both hands on her wheel and she was looking straight forward."

People scrambled to stop the driver, she said.

"I saw men running after her, yelling, 'stop, stop!' As she was passing, we saw people running after her. Everyone was so frantic and just running around."

Antonio Nassar, who was at the Strip, described a disturbing scene.

"The car rolled right in front of me. By the time I looked over to the right, all you could see was [her] driving away and people were bouncing off the front of the car, you can hear it," Nassar told the affiliate.

"The windshield is smashed at this point. She rode the sidewalk, she came to a stop at the Paris intersection, people are punching into the window ... she accelerated again and just kept mowing people down."

Traffic snaked down the streets as cars were diverted near the Paris Las Vegas hotel, where the Strip was shut down.
11:44 p.m. ET: At least one dead and seven in critical condition, fire officials said. There were a total of 37 patients.
11:45 p.m. ET: Officials don't yet know whether it was an accident or intentional.
11:50 p.m. ET: The driver is in custody and is undergoing various tests, including one for alcohol, authorities said.

Comments