New Orleans to build a slave ship museum

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
https://youtu.be/Hvf7-tkdJjo
The New Orleans Tourism and Marketing Commission got the approval last Thursday from the city council backing the idea of a slave ship museum.

It was 1st proposed in 2001 and then again in 2013.

According to WDSU, Mark Romig, the head of the New Orleans Tourism and Marketing, said that it could be a big draw for the city of New Orleans.

“They want to come into the city, and instead of sitting by a pool and reading a book, they want to get into the history, the culture and the authenticity of our city,” said Mark Romig, head of the New Orleans Tourism and Marketing Commission. “It allows people to get into history and understand it better.”

It’s going to be a massive 5 story building with a replica of a real slave ship. It will also have restaurants and a DNA center. They are also building a replica of a slave ship to go up and down the Mississippi river.

This will cost the city $170 million, and no time frame has been given as to when the project will start.

Read More: New Orleans Wants To Make A Slave Ship Museum | http://1079ishot.com/new-orleans-slave-ship-museum/?trackback=tsmclip

Comments

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Wtf

Stop the BS New Orleans.

Huh? Most people don't get into history because they can't possibly understand how certain events happened. Go ahead build a slave ship have a good curator show how cramped and small and miserable it can be let people actually experience it to open their eyes to the true horrors of it.

170 million should be put towards the schools in New Orleans. That's what we need the most.

I'm not saying neglect the past but my city needs to think more about the future of these young black kids.

I've lived there I grew up there.

@The_Jackal

I ain't disagreeing that it couldn't be put towards the school ain't never been to NO so can't speak on it just saying the project in itself ain't a bad idea.
  • jono
    Options
    Why not build a regular museum? Why does it have to be shaped like a slave ship
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Because it's easier especially for children with low attention span to learn with interaction and through experience. Nothing wrong with a regular museum at all just think it's more personal and definitely more impactful on a young mind to see something like that.

Like you can speak on slavery and a child will understand or you can have then watch 12 years a slave and they will emphasize.
    The idea ain't bad at all.

But bruh. This is just helping the wrong ppl.

Idk the poltical scene of of NO so wouldn't know who profiting off it and such.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It sounds like a dope concept, especially for young african americans that claim they are far removed from racism and history. I just hope it's done in a way that provides an accurate depiction of the slave trade and not a revised version where we were just passengers on a ship
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »

Because it's easier especially for children with low attention span to learn with interaction and through experience. Nothing wrong with a regular museum at all just think it's more personal and definitely more impactful on a young mind to see something like that.

Like you can speak on slavery and a child will understand or you can have then watch 12 years a slave and they will emphasize.
    The idea ain't bad at all.

But bruh. This is just helping the wrong ppl.

Idk the poltical scene of of NO so wouldn't know who profiting off it and such.

With the ? I've seen since living here and the friends I know who's kids & their schools are struggling overall, this idea is stupid as ? . No matter how it gets twisted to seem like a positive.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Can we start fixing these damn ? holes in the streets first? I swear New Orleans has the WOAT priorities.

I kid you bruh.

I lived in the The East most of my life.

And I'm 28 years old and I can go to a ? hole off Dwyer and E. Hermes that been there as long as I been on this earth.

@silverfoxx

Smdh lol
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Can we start fixing these damn ? holes in the streets first? I swear New Orleans has the WOAT priorities.

We got them extremely bad in my city. The south should forever have smooth streets because we love our cars down here & how tf are we going to enjoy them with rims, when it's ? holes every where
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    Why? They already have Angola prison.

angola.jpg

Too soon fam. Too soon.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    ATalentedOne already applied to work as a waiter

tooo dam easy
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a distraction. Lately, Ive been seeing alot of evidence that Black people were in America before the Native Americans (came walking from asia during the ice age).

And we think we all look different from Africans because all "African-Americans" have one drop of white blood and that is why we look different.

When we was sayin " I gots Indian in my fammmmmmleeee" who was there to dismiss it?

When we were sayin "slaves escaped to find refuge with the natives" who was there to tell us that natives had slaves too?

When we asked "out of all the races in the world, why Africans had to be slaves?" who told us "well, they were the strongest and could tolerate the diseases white people carried because of the sickle cell gene."

But I am a history major and tend to read ? that i didnt get from college and read that George Washington said "take away the feathers and moccasins, and in 100 years, nobody will ever know the difference (from the African slaves).

And lastly, we were told slaves always went north for freedom. Florida was spain during slavery. 1513-1845. So, by that logic, slaves ran from alabama, mississippi, and georgia, to ohio, barefoot, when free land florida was right there?

Who taught us this ? and why?

im done.
  • jono
    Options
    The Charles H Wright here in Detroit has an exhibit that is a replica of a slave ship. Its moving to experience but its a part of the larger museum visit
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Charles H Wright here in Detroit has an exhibit that is a replica of a slave ship. Its moving to experience but its a part of the larger museum visit

Right down from my alma mater

Wayne State.

@jono
  • jono
    Options

Right down from my alma mater

Wayne State.

@jono

I graduated from WSU too. Currently in grad school there.