Should Growing Up in Compton Be Considered a Disability?

Options
1235»

Comments

• phukkyou2
    phukkyou2 Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    deadeye wrote: »
    I know 4 dudes from Compton that either went to 1 USC, 3 San Jose State

And I'm pretty sure it's a lot more of ppl that's doing great for themselves.

Still doesn't mean that they didn't experience trauma or PTSD.

Just shows that they were strong enough to overcome it.

Everyone's not that strong.

I'm from New Orleans and I don't have ptsd. And I know plenty of friends and family that don't have ptsd.

I know ppl from New Orleans to south Dallas to Compton that's normal adults.

So just dropping a label on an entire ppl from a place is stupid and asinine

It's huge difference from having a disability and an uneven playing field.

I also know ppl with real disabilities and it's an insult to them to label someone without one as one.

It's not about labeling all ppl from Compton as disabled ...

Read the article

The intent is for ppl who have suffered severe trauma and exhibited signs of ptsd to be classified legally as disabled so schools would be legally required and better suited to accommodate them

Right now schools are not even required to train their staff on how to deal with these students...

The article is one thing, But how it will play out in reality is another .
    ADD ADHD whether it's real or not, is over diagnosed. Alotta these kids are being diagnosed for just being kids.
    So how u think a generalized diseased, that's based on where an already marginalized group of ppl live, is gonna play out?

Just a while a go, a young blk boy was suspended for partaking in a staring contest... blk girls are 6 times more likely to be suspended then their female counterparts.

U think they're gonna take their time to properly diagnose these kids,
    When they can use this "disability" diagnosis to generalized and use it to discriminate?

Of course they will. That's why we as a People have to step up and Oversee everything behind this New Provision. By changing it's label and how it's Written.

The fact that you're not even thinking about it this way is exactly what we mean by PTSD. Subconsciously you're getting white folks involved in an issue where they're not even needed, technically.

The way these Great People of G-d are coming at it is even somewhat an attest to it also. No disrespect to em or the movement tho.

And by that I mean they should've designed it under a new name and detailed provisions instead of trying to pass it off under the guise of an Intellectual Disability. Because it's not that, it's something different
  • A Ghost
    A Ghost Members Posts: 368
    Options
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nope, get up and get out, stop handicapping yourself, Have some standards and expectations. ? out of here ? . Where you start don't have to be where you finish.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HEALTH

By Avi Asher-Schapiro

October 20, 2015 | 9:24 pm
    Virgil started feeling unsafe sometime around 4th grade. That's when he remembers his mother telling him and his twin brother, Philip, to stay inside after school. The family had recently moved from Atlanta to Los Angeles, and remaining indoors, their mother told them, was the best way to avoid getting hit by a stray bullet from one of the gun battles that regularly erupted outside their apartment in Compton, California.

Six years later, Virgil and Philip — not the boys' real names — say they've lost track of how many times they've had to run from gunfire, dodge gangs, and contend with overzealous police. Just last year, Phillip witnessed one of his closest friends get shot in the head. Between the two of them, the 10th graders have already lived through more violence than many soldiers. And they've been shuffled through all three high schools in the Compton Unified School District (CUSD) in the past year — Virgil for fighting and insubordination, Phillip for chronically bad grades.

The brothers are now two of the plaintiffs in an unprecedented lawsuit that seeks to force schools to address trauma students face and the effects it has on their ability to learn. The suit, filed on behalf of five current students and three teachers at CUSD, could revolutionize the way children are taught in public schools.

"I've been through a whole lot here in Compton," Virgil says. "And some of the hardest stuff has been in the school."

The suit, Peter P. vs. Compton Unified, would require the government to recognize "complex trauma" — repeated exposure to violence, neglect, or pain — as a protected disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If the suit is successful, it would force public institutions, including schools, to accommodate those impacted by trauma under Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act, the same law that requires schools to build ramps for kids in wheelchairs and provide reading interventions to those with dyslexia.

https://news.vice.com/article/should-growing-up-in-compton-be-considered-a-disability

Change that wack ass avi
  • OmegaConflict
    Options
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Trillfate wrote: »
    Wow. Lol thats super offensive

This is the should "ebonics" be taught in schools debate all over again

^
    My first thought

But considering what we know high levels of stress and exposure to violence does to the brain of a child shouldn't our schools provide comprehensive services to deal with the fallout?

Growing up in that environment definitely has an effect on you, but it's not a disability. Many of us from So Cal(and all over the country) grew up in the same type of hoods, and you learn pretty quickly where not to go, when not to go there, and who not to ? around with.

And no, school should not be the ones to handle this. They have trouble teaching basic reading, writing, arithmetic at this point. This rest solely with parents and elected officials in that city, not a guidance counselor.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope, get up and get out, stop handicapping yourself, Have some standards and expectations. ? out of here ? . Where you start don't have to be where you finish.

I understand your sentiments and I'm not big on labels, but our experiences shape everything from our personalities to our brain chemistry

Child abuse. ? . Assault. Witnessing violence, bloodshed, and death from close quarters. Near death experiences. These events are especially traumatic causing most ppl to act out especially young ppl whose brains are not yet fully developed

There is value in our schools taking these realities into serious consideration in regards as to how they train their staff and treat their students moving forward
  • ThaNubianGod
    Options

I understand your sentiments and I'm not big on labels, but our experiences shape everything from our personalities to our brain chemistry

Child abuse. ? . Assault. Witnessing violence, bloodshed, and death from close quarters. Near death experiences. These events are especially traumatic causing most ppl to act out especially young ppl whose brains are not yet fully developed

There is value in our schools taking these realities into serious consideration in regards as to how they train their staff and treat their students moving forward
    That's the job of parents, not schools. Teachers are equipped to teach lesson plans, nothing more. In fact, broken families are the #1 cause of the troubles you listed.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Wow. Lol thats super offensive

This is the should "ebonics" be taught in schools debate all over again

^
    My first thought

But considering what we know high levels of stress and exposure to violence does to the brain of a child shouldn't our schools provide comprehensive services to deal with the fallout?

They should, but it should be provided under a different provision, so the system bears the stigma and not the child.
  • (Nope)
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    A lot of you ? sound just like those "pull your bootstrap up" racists ass republicans.

No, i sound like a ? with a ? brain ..
    How does being labeled disable, gonna help the blk community?

Knowing the history of this country, y'all are making it easier to be discriminated against.

This country is designed for whts, rich wht ppl at that, they have the most control and benefits in this country. when they wanted to keep their troubling rich kids out of jails, they created Affluenza.

Labeling blk kids disabled, is not gonna work for them like affluenza worked for whts. Its gonna work against them.

Instead of fighting for better opportunities for our kids, we're gonna label them disabled?

You realize there is legislation in place that protects those labeled "disabled" from being discriminated against based on their disability. The amount of disease both mental and physical and deleterious affects on personality traits that can be attributed to socio-economic status (SES) would surprise you. I suggest doing some research.

I don't like the disability label, but this is a step in the right direction. They are openly acknowledging the problem.
  • (Nope)
    Options

If you are born resilient, you might be able to ingest and overcome this trauma, but if you are sensitive or fragile and experience this trauma you're dealing with what's called a "double whammy." It's going to ? you up.

People are letting ego drive their response.

There is a multitude of research to suggest this is needed.

• (Nope)
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'm from New Orleans and I don't have ptsd. And I know plenty of friends and family that don't have ptsd.

I know ppl from New Orleans to south Dallas to Compton that's normal adults.

So just dropping a label on an entire ppl from a place is stupid and asinine

It's huge difference from having a disability and an uneven playing field.

I also know ppl with real disabilities and it's an insult to them to label someone without one as one.

It's not about labeling all ppl from Compton as disabled ...

Read the article

The intent is for ppl who have suffered severe trauma and exhibited signs of ptsd to be classified legally as disabled so schools would be legally required and better suited to accommodate them

Right now schools are not even required to train their staff on how to deal with these students...

ESSA will implement that training, but it's not comprehensive. That's a huge onus to place solely on teachers. Needs to be more.
  • desertrain10
    edited January 2016
    Options

That's the job of parents, not schools. Teachers are equipped to teach lesson plans, nothing more. In fact, broken families are the #1 cause of the troubles you listed.

Parents obviously have a part to play

Schools should play a part as well

We spend a significant amount of our waking hours in classrooms as children and teens

Trauma sensitive school could help to lower the highschool drop out rate amongst. Exposure to trauma is associated with a higher risk for school dropout

High school dropouts are more likely to land in prison ...more ppl in prison, results in more broken homes

And trauma sensitive school environments could possibly benefit not only traumatized children, but also those who are affected by these children, including child peers and school personnel

Teachers are already being tasked with dealing with difficult students. With the proper training and assistance from onsite mental health professionals and social workers, teachers will be better off

There are already California school districts who have successfully implemented comprehensive, multilevel school-based prevention and intervention program for children
  • ThaNubianGod
    Options

No sorry, but parents don't have a "part", they have the whole thing. You have classes with 30-40 students, and you expect some underpaid teacher to raise these kids too? You think the school counselor is going to help a kid loving in a rough neighborhood with a nice after-school talk? i don't mean to come at you in a harsh way because I know you mean well, but this won't change things.

Parents need to:
    -Teach their kids lessonsoutside of school as soon as they can talk. That should continue until at least junior high.
    -Know where their kids are, and who they're with, because that the #1 area where trouble starts
    -Make them eat, sleep well. Stop being lazy with the fast food that has gotten our kids unhealthy. Stop allowing them to stay up all night, and wonder why they can't function at school the next day.
    -Talk regualry to their teacher's. hell, give each of their teacher's your cell number, and have them text you if your kids are acting up, or not doing well.

Simply put, we need to go back to making our kids the #1 priority in our lives. People say they are......but actions speak louder than words. Especially many fathers who are just doing enough...and not much else. I don't know, to me there's nothing better than seeing a kid excel, and I want the next generation of Black kids to be on par with Asians kids.
  • desertrain10
    edited January 2016
    Options

No sorry, but parents don't have a "part", they have the whole thing. You have classes with 30-40 students, and you expect some underpaid teacher to raise these kids too? You think the school counselor is going to help a kid loving in a rough neighborhood with a nice after-school talk? i don't mean to come at you in a harsh way because I know you mean well, but this won't change things.

Parents need to:
    -Teach their kids lessonsoutside of school as soon as they can talk. That should continue until at least junior high.
    -Know where their kids are, and who they're with, because that the #1 area where trouble starts
    -Make them eat, sleep well. Stop being lazy with the fast food that has gotten our kids unhealthy. Stop allowing them to stay up all night, and wonder why they can't function at school the next day.
    -Talk regualry to their teacher's. hell, give each of their teacher's your cell number, and have them text you if your kids are acting up, or not doing well.

Simply put, we need to go back to making our kids the #1 priority in our lives. People say they are......but actions speak louder than words. Especially many fathers who are just doing enough...and not much else. I don't know, to me there's nothing better than seeing a kid excel, and I want the next generation of Black kids to be on par with Asians kids.

So you just going to ignore the rest of my post

As I said before there are already California school districts who have successfully implemented comprehensive, multilevel school-based prevention and intervention program for children with signs of PTSD ...suspensions dropped 89%

http://acestoohigh.com/2014/01/28/hearts-el-dorado-elementary/

So this isn't just me being naive

Good parenting is important, unfortunately fact is not every child will or has a good support system at home...many are poor...many are orphans...many of the parents struggle with substance abuse...many suffer abuse or other trauma at the hands of their guardians...

Regardless, once a child is inflicted with PSTD it is likely going to effect their performance in school... impacting school personnel and their schoolmates in the process if or when said child acts out

The most humane and effective thing to do would be to is for schools to train their teachers and other staff on how to deal with these children

As of right now schools are pushing these kids into the criminal justice system because they are ignorant as to how to deal with them...if we want to break the cycle of poverty in these communities this approach is obviously counterproductive
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ass040.jpg

Lmao how you ban him but leave the pic up?
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well it is a lovely pic
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • A Ghost
    A Ghost Members Posts: 368
    Options
    I like this photo

AP553707242877_0.jpg?itok=ofGUhZL5
  • BlackCat
    BlackCat Members Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was a good thread. The teaching standards in the country need some serious reformation, and was bringing good discussion. ? @OMEGA_CONFLICT
  • OmegaConflict
    Options
    BlackCat wrote: »
    This was a good thread. The teaching standards in the country need some serious reformation, and was bringing good discussion. ? @OMEGA_CONFLICT

? you too ?
    <3
  • comptoncali
    comptoncali Members Posts: 3
    Options
    Oh the humanity...
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm wit it ,make it atl, east New York, New Orleans , far rockaway, little rock, Newark, tallahasse, Tampa bay, oakland