Diagnosing the New ?

Options
playmaker88
playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
Is a daily migraine getting you down?
Do you wake up in cold sweats…confused?

Does your stomach churn, despite the fact that you ate right?

These aren’t symptoms of the flu or food poisoning. Far worse, you might be friends with a New ? . Ya know, the Black person who uses the #AllLivesMatter hash tag. The one that relies on words like “all-inclusive” when talking about racism (assuming they believe in it). I’ll delve into that later, but the New ? didn’t always have color blinders on.

Coined by American writer and philosopher Alain Leroy Locke during the Harlem Renaissance, historically the term “New ? ” was defined by Black people’s “active refusal to obey Jim Crow-era laws post World War I” and post Reconstruction. According to Locke, because Blacks experienced less discrimination while fighting in France during World War I, this was one of the catalysts that breathed self-confidence, assertiveness, and militancy into the Black community.

In other words, Black folks were reminded of their humanity and advocated for its recognition. This was the pillar of the New ? Movement during the 1920s, which demanded equality across politics, education, class, and stronger desegregation efforts.

My, my how today’s New ? has fallen from history as Locke does somersaults in his grave.

There ain’t nothing militant or active about today’s specimen. Mainly because these clueless individuals truly believe we’re living in a post-racial society. The New ? subscribes to respectability politics better than a clown performs at the circus. Their detrimental political philosophy is only outdone by their delusional beliefs that everyone is already equal. At the end of the day, you’re still a n***** in the eyes of racist people and ain’t no damn degree, salary, Brooke’s Brothers’ office suit or church dress is going to change that.

Just because Black people share skin color with New Negroes does not mean they share our ideologies. The New ? ’s vantage point is one that is so willfully blind and mistakenly optimistic that it actually ends up contributing to a racist system. The only thing blissful about the ignorance of today’s New ? is how far in life they managed to make it without getting shot. Remember momma use to say, “You can’t do the same things they do.” The New ? needs to take heed to that philosophy. It's the only way that we may be able to "do the things that white people do."

So, with the New Year approaching, I think it’s time we snatch the tag off today’s New ? . In no prioritized order, I decided to provide a quiz on five of many key qualities to look for in a friend or acquaintance who you suspect is a New ? . If someone in your circle is a “yes” when it comes to all of these statements below, then free yourself RIGHT NOW.

They Only See The "Human" Race

Sweetie, you don’t have the privilege to only see the human race. Are we all humans? Of course! Should we all be treated like humans? Absolutely! But are we all treated like humans? Hell to the no! I’ll never forget about my humanity for others, even in light of racism, but that doesn’t mean I dress the world up in “Because I’m happy” songs and accessorize it with a lack of awareness. Stay woke.

They Collect and Drink White Tears

You know what I can’t stand more than racism? A New ? who will tap dance to please their oppressor. There can only be one Bojangles, and he passed away in 1949. I get it. Being Black can sometimes be exhausting. But compliance and assimilation aren’t viable solutions. While most of us feel that we should force mainstream society to see its failures and shortcomings around race, the New ? ; they will cry and whine about why the majority won’t accept them…um… like they don’t see they’re a ? , and a brand new one at that. So, similar to White tears, the New ? ’s tears are distilled with good intentions, but lack any sort of concrete comprehension. My suggestion is to urge them to stick their noses in the corner and read a Frederick Douglass book…all of em.

They Think Fellow New Negroes are Cutting-edge

“That Don Lemon really has his finger on the pulse of what’s going on.”

“Raven-Symone truly is the voice of millennials.”

This type of "real talk" only comes from fellow New Negroes. It's not a complete surprise that New Negroes admire their famous peers when they see them on TV. It’s like Hollywood and TV has a clown car full of New Negroes, and you never know which one is going to pop out next. “Racism is rare." Really, Will Smith…really? I’ll never look at Fresh Prince of Bel Air the same. And the more recent of Lupe Fiasco coined #ThanksWhitePeople hash tag coonpaign, which says to the world behind every great Black man is a White man. Again, right sentiment, misplaced tactic. We hope he is kidding.

They Vote Against Themselves

To be fair, New Negroes aren’t the only people who vote against themselves. Caitlyn Jenner is still voting like she’s a rich, white man instead of a transgender woman. And the food stamp capital, Owsley County, KY, is white and republican, even though the GOP drastically cut funding for the food stamp program in that state. Then you have these ? cartoon characters praising Donald Trump.

Voting against yourself is nothing novel for idiots of all races and classes. Personally, I’ve never been one to just vote Democrat "just because," or brand all Republicans as evil racists, but I’m a firm believer in voting to protect the greater good of a society’s most at-risk populations. And if you’re anything other than a rich, white man, you’re included in those at-risk populations. So, when I catch wind of New Negroes voting against themselves, I just want to point them to Amistad because they’re about two aimless votes from being in shackles.

They Never Get Angry

James A. Baldwin moved the needle on what it means to be Black in America when he said, “To be a ? in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a constant state of rage.”

I’m always very perplexed when I see happy-go-lucky, unconscious and unaware New Negroes. I’m not saying they have to pop off on everything to everybody, but where’s the emotion? Another police brutality case involving the shooting death of a Black body? All smiles from the New ? . Nine shot dead in a church in South Carolina? No complaints from the New ? . Congress just passed a vote to reinstate slavery? I guess that’s just life according to the New ? . Are we reading the same headlines? I’m not advocating for aimless anger, but anger can by a very useful tool. It was anger that sparked the Civil Rights Movement. It was anger that propelled students from my Alma mater, Mizzou, to strike. It was anger that got all of us this far in life. Hell, this country was colonized by anger. Even Jesus flipped a table once. But of course the New ? isn’t angry because what’s there to be angry about in their eyes? I wish they’d all drown in White people tears.

Read more at EBONY http://www.ebony.com/life/diagnosing-the-new-? #ixzz3w6gTrmSB
Follow us: @EbonyMag on Twitter | EbonyMag on Facebook

Damn i felt like I wrote this myself right on down to the New ? Terminology. Through are many convos here in different threads. This guy has to be a poster.

Comments

• jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wouldn't consider the "new negros" the same "new negros" as the Harlem renneisance

It's like when white people try to say the music of today like post Malone is hip hop when it's completely different than what hip hop is or was at its root

Just because they look like the "new negros" doesn't mean they act like the "new negros" which means they aren't the "new negros"

But this is like violin playing, we know nig nogs gon nig, it's not natural, they are displaced and out of their element, and don't have the knowledge from their ancestors, they are at the hands of people who mean them no good
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yea, terrible comparison. The Harlem Renaissance was a movement started by brothas and sistas who were racially,socially, and economically conscious and all about black pride. These "new negros" in the OP are fuckboys, ? , racially confused mfs that should be compared to the ones from the HR era.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't know who wrote this article but the voting against themselves is a stupid ? point. Liberals and Democrats will easily sell your rights down the ? river for "comfort and security." Reps aren't any better but your ? foolish if you think Democrats are this magic greater good ? ? be spewing.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im wit it, but one thing i wish we stop doing. Is saying no matter what you do, to "them" you're still a ? ". And lettin that have some kinda negative effect on what you think you can do. ? love to be on that Rick Ross ? "Dee ? Cant Hol Me Bac, Dee ? Wont Hold Me Back". But fall into the belief that a white man can and will hold them back.

But up and down ask em, and there aint no white man "harder"..no ? , than a ? .
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    don't disrespet the New Negros by comparing them to today's ?
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    don't disrespet the New Negros by comparing them to today's ?

but ? hate Cosby though
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They new ? is just the old house negros grandson

A old "new" ? at 1:40.....in 196something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjIX4QMIiOw

And instead of airing young Uncle Ruckus out in front of an audience for being a ? ? , he called the white reporter and the media out on that attempt to divide us even more. That ? was cold!
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Tom Dubois
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Koltrain wrote: »

Tom Dubois

Listen brah, that compromised ? probably annoys me than he does you, but you got it all wrong. There is a world of a difference between an assimilated ? (like Tom Dubois) and a house ? who says what the white man wants to hear. Yes, many assimilated negros do do that, but it is not part of the meaning of assimilation. There are assimilated black folk who do not say what the white man wants to hear.

The difference is subtle, but still very important.

By the way, this is not to say that assimilation is OK if it doesn't lead to house-negroism.
  • bbkg79
    bbkg79 Members Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah the "New New ? " can't seem to remove ? from his vocabulary. I agree with a lot that was written in the first post. Lack of cultural education is a factor, and a lot of us have gotten caught up in the game of capitalism with no room for anything else. While we chase the dollar, we lose other aspects of ourselves. Other cultures move in to appropriate/takeover or take credit for things we've started. I'm unlearning though, thanks for posting.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bbkg79 wrote: »
    Yeah the "New New ? " can't seem to remove ? from his vocabulary. I agree with a lot that was written in the first post. Lack of cultural education is a factor, and a lot of us have gotten caught up in the game of capitalism with no room for anything else. While we chase the dollar, we lose other aspects of ourselves. Other cultures move in to appropriate/takeover or take credit for things we've started. I'm unlearning though, thanks for posting.

Shut up ?

? Gregory say ?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I hate these new new ? .
  • Tragedy1
    Tragedy1 Members Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Options

Malcolm was charismatic.