Kendrick Lamar Says Drake & Future Were His favorites in 2015

Options
J.J._Evans
J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/kendrick-lamar-says-drake-and-future-made-some-of-his-favorite-rap-music-of-2015-news.19435.html
Kendrick Lamar Says Drake & Future Made Some Of His Favorite Rap Music Of 2015

Kendrick Lamar's To ? A Butterfly was probably the densest album of the year, through a combination of its grandiose musical arrangements, disparate influences, political themes, and very technical rapping. While this made the album a critical success, it also made it the go-to project for a certain type of rap fan to describe as "real hip-hop".

The unending debate over whether or not rap that focuses on social commentary and lyricism should be more valued than songwriting-based acts was brought up again recently, as Hot 97's Ebro criticized Complex's choice of putting part rap hitmakers Rae Sremmurd at number 3 on their list.

Naturally, Kendrick Lamar's TPAB was used as an example of what rap "should" be, but when Pusha T, a rapper old-heads would very much describe as "real," came to the defense of the Sremm bros, it was clear that the purist ideology might finally be dying out.

In a new interview with the New York Times, Kendrick agreed that hip-hop doesn't need to fit into a certain box to be considered "real". When asked about his favorite rap this year, he mentioned a couple of surprising names.

"Of course Future killed it. He smashed. Drake smashed. Future’s work ethic was crazy, his energy," he said. "This is the thing about hip-hop music and where people get it most misconstrued: It’s all hip-hop. You can’t say that just what I do is hip-hop, because hip-hop is all energies. James Brown can get on the track and mumble all day. But guess what: You felt his soul on those records."

K-Dot went on to explain the appeal of this particular kind of rap.

"If it makes you feel good, and it makes you move — I don’t know these guys personally. I don’t know what makes them move on a personal level. I can’t knock it. It feels good when I listen to it, when I’m in that vibe," he said. "You feel it. You can get the highest level of that — you can get Future — or you can get the watered-down version, somebody else trying to be that. That’s the bad [expletive]."

Comments

• J.J._Evans
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    Where are all the guys that say Drake and Future are not hip hop?

Kendrick just said that y'all are liars.

Kendrick also sent warm regards to Macklemore

You never take an active artist's opinion on other artists...ever. They are biased and being political.

Ie Kanye been infatuated with trash music'-Paul Wall on Late Reg, Chief Keef, Travis Scott, etc

Ie I believe it was Kanye was the one said Nicki Minaj was gonna be a top 5 DOA artist all time

This means nothing
    Kendrick could have simply remained quiet.........

Yet, he decided to praise both Drake and Future.

It means a lot.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You never take an active artist's opinion on other artists...ever. They are biased and being political.

Ie Kanye been infatuated with trash music'-Paul Wall on Late Reg, Chief Keef, Travis Scott, etc

Ie I believe it was Kanye was the one said Nicki Minaj was gonna be a top 5 DOA artist all time

This means nothing

So glad someone posted this. I don't feel like the unnecessary debate that will follow. The fact Kendick said this means alt to the Threadstarter.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This means nothing

Im sure sometimes thats the case but given his explanation it sounds genuine
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gave Drake nothing but two words lol "Drake smashed". Thats that polite interview talk doesnt really sound like praise. Think its safe to say that theres still animosity between the two ever since Control
  • soulfulcat
    soulfulcat Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol.... *Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif*
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Giving his opinion on a topic is hardly calling people liars....a dusty ass 1970's new york mc could come out and say future isnt hip hop, does that mean kenrick is a liar? No

We all have different definitions of what hip hop is or sounds like to us

Imo future is wack, im also a fan of kendrick but being a fan doesnt mean im about to take his opinion and be like well if kendrick said hes good then there is no debate, he must be good....hell nah

• illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lol..

He said drake had a good year,
    he never said dude was his favorite..
  • Go figure
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »

Giving his opinion on a topic is hardly calling people liars....a dusty ass 1970's new york mc could come out and say future isnt hip hop, does that mean kenrick is a liar? No

Imo future is wack, im also a fan of kendrick but being a fan doesnt mean im about to take his opinion and be like well if kendrick said hes good then there is no debate, he must be good....hell nah

Does Rappers Delight sound more like a song Kendrick would make or some radio ? we hear everyday?
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol like his co-sign means anything when all of these ? associate w/ each other in real life. Kendrick prolly got paid to say that ? .
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "This is the thing about hip-hop music and where people get it most misconstrued: It’s all hip-hop."

Translation: Theres a time and place for everything! I listen to Dead Prez, them the next minute I listen to LMFAO!...I listen to EVERYTHING! !!
  • Go figure
    Options
    "This is the thing about hip-hop music and where people get it most misconstrued: It’s all hip-hop."

Translation: Theres a time and place for everything! I listen to Dead Prez, them the next minute I listen to LMFAO!...I listen to EVERYTHING! !!

Theres a difference between saying future/drake is hip hop and LMFAO is hiphop
  • bck145
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »

Does Rappers Delight sound more like a song Kendrick would make or some radio ? we hear everyday?

Rappers delight isnt anything like the radio songs from 2015, 2015 was a lot of mumbling and bad singing

Kendrick doesnt make a lot of pop rap like rappers delight but i could see him remaking a throw back song similar to rappers delight before a future or young thug would
  • Go figure
    Options

Rappers delight isnt anything like the radio songs from 2015, 2015 was a lot of mumbling and bad singing

Kendrick doesnt make a lot of pop rap like rappers delight but i could see him remaking a throw back song similar to rappers delight before a future or young thug would

of course, nothing will be like it was 40 yrs ago. sounds/trends change I thought this was common knowledge

point is just bc u don't like it doesn't mean its not hip hop

there have been a lot of garbage songs tht came out that still fit under the hip hop category
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "You feel it. You can get the highest level of that — you can get Future — or you can get the watered-down version, somebody else trying to be that. That’s the bad [expletive]."

Man just make music , tha ? is this ? talkin bout. Tha ? is a 'watered down Future'???

Like Future aint essentially a watered down Akon and T Pain

Low quality products are easily replicated and replaced. There is nothing Future does that RHQ, Young Thug, K Camp, Bryson Tiller, Torey Lanez, or any of these new ? cant do. Just slight variations of the same ?
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This means nothing

Wow, you think Paul Wall was Trash on "Drive Slow".???
  • Go figure
    Options
    "You feel it. You can get the highest level of that — you can get Future — or you can get the watered-down version, somebody else trying to be that. That’s the bad [expletive]."

Man just make music , tha ? is this ? talkin bout. Tha ? is a 'watered down Future'???

Like Future aint essentially a watered down Akon and T Pain

Low quality products are easily replicated and replaced. There is nothing Future does that RHQ, Young Thug, K Camp, Bryson Tiller, Torey Lanez, or any of these new ? cant do. Just slight variations of the same ?

None of what u are saying proves that the artists dont make hip hop music

Youre just saying u dont like or respect them, which is not what this thread is about
  • J.J._Evans
    Options

This means nothing

So glad someone posted this. I don't feel like the unnecessary debate that will follow. The fact Kendick said this means alt to the Threadstarter.

? , get out your feelings goofy. You and a few more have been at me since the Drake vs meek thread. Your baiting don't work on me........LOL.
  • Go figure
    Options
    I remember another thread where people were saying if u listen to music outside of hip hop it makes u less credible to critique it

So if kendrick listens to drake/future and to u they are not hip hop does that make him less credible as a rapper?

This ? not addin up
  • bck145
    edited January 2016
    Options

of course, nothing will be like it was 40 yrs ago. sounds/trends change I thought this was common knowledge

there have been a lot of garbage songs tht came out that still fit under the hip hop category

Hip hop music usually means you rap, lmfao might be corny but they rap, who knows wtf youd call what future does
  • Go figure
    Options

Hip hop music usually means you rap, lmfao might be corny but they rap, who knows wtf youd call what future does

Scratching is hip hop n barely has any vocals on it