Mother Of Tamir Rice: ‘It’s Quite Sad’ LeBron Hasn’t Addressed Son's Death

Options

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Lebron doesn't have to do anything. However, the Cleveland community has rallied together in hopes of changing Cleveland's corrupt judicial system and by Lebrons own admission he came back to OH not only to try and win a championship but to also be active in the community. Lebron is and has been active but this is a hot button topic. One would think this would also be a great opportunity for Lebron to use his leverage as an activist\philanthropist.

And how do we conclude that he isn't?
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    marc123 wrote: »
    what tf she want that ? to do?

Use his influence to possibly enact change in Clevelands judicial system.

I don't think he has the influence to do anything close to that.

You are being shorted sighted then. No one is asking Lebron to do it alone. The Cleveland community as a whole is out there getting it in. Lebron would be a huge help in getting some of these people in front of the right people.

Not being short sighted at all. You just have a very over inflated opinion of man who can dunk a basketball influence on that city
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Lebron doesn't have to do anything. However, the Cleveland community has rallied together in hopes of changing Cleveland's corrupt judicial system and by Lebrons own admission he came back to OH not only to try and win a championship but to also be active in the community. Lebron is and has been active but this is a hot button topic. One would think this would also be a great opportunity for Lebron to use his leverage as an activist\philanthropist.

And how do we conclude that he isn't?

Your question is pointless. As for one I am not accusing Lebron and two we are discussing his public displays of support.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    After hearing RZA speak we need to stop asking celebrities ?

They may be entertaining

But that doesn't mean we need to hear their opinion

What qualifies one to have a valid opinion?

At least know what the actual issue is. RZA said that ? can dress their way out of being shot like animals by the police

And while lebron is an awesome entertainer and athlete that doesn't translate into an advocate

Tamir rice deserves dignity even if he wasn't given that when he was killed
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's not obligated to do anything but him saying he's unaware like it didn't happen in his city seemed disingenuous.

We, the IC, are all detached from reality tho. We all live on the ? internet

Most people believe it or not don't. Not all people have desk jobs. And with alllll the shootings going on, literally overlapping each other, i STILL dont blame him for not having the entire Tamir Rice wikipedia saved to memory regardless if its his city or not.

Sandy Bland, the Wal Mart dude, Tamir, Trayvon, Oakland, Baltimore, the Dc guy, i mean im even forgetting actual names now, ? that the ? is exhausting
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

They may be entertaining

At least know what the actual issue is. RZA said that ? can dress their way out of being shot like animals by the police

And while lebron is an awesome entertainer and athlete that doesn't translate into an advocate

To too many now being popular means your opinion on anything matters and people should know it. Instead of the actual people who handle these issues daily people want athletes and actors to lead the way
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

You are being shorted sighted then. No one is asking Lebron to do it alone. The Cleveland community as a whole is out there getting it in. Lebron would be a huge help in getting some of these people in front of the right people.

Not being short sighted at all. You just have a very over inflated opinion of man who can dunk a basketball influence on that city

My opinion is sound. You just are incapable of thinking further then your own personal limitations and lack of activism. Lebron is a citizen just like you and I. Difference is, he has access to resources that the common citizen doesn't. The point here is, there are countless displays of citizens banding together enact change in their communities.
  • D. Morgan
    Options

My opinion is sound. You just are incapable of thinking further then your own personal limitations and lack of activism. Lebron is a citizen just like you and I. Difference is, he has access to resources that the common citizen doesn't. The point here is, there are countless displays of citizens banding together enact change in their communities.

You ASSuming a lot. So I'll just leave you to your dreams cause the ? you talking about that mans influence ain't reality.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

They may be entertaining

I'd like to read or listen to RZA's comment in full. Your summary doesn't quite make sense.

Lebron has made comments about his willingness to assist his community. So, no one is asking Lebron to do something he hasn't said, he's wanted to do. He's put himself in the position of advocate not the public.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? is a NATIONAL HEADLINE

LBJ is helping young black youths go to college.

He could helping spark the change that could happen with what he's doing

That lady had no reason to call out on LBJ to save her.

That's the power of the ppl to promote change.

If you want to wait on a famous person to tell you do research on who you're voting for and what to do than you already lost.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

You ASSuming a lot. So I'll just leave you to your dreams cause the ? you talking about that mans influence ain't reality.

You are just being contrary for likes. To think that Lebron has ZERO influence is utterly absurd. To think if, Lebron banded together with the PEOPLE of Cleveland would have ZERO influence is 100% stupidity. But anyways. Carry on.
  • D. Morgan
    Options

You are just being contrary for likes. To think that Lebron has ZERO influence is utterly absurd. To think if, Lebron banded together with the PEOPLE of Cleveland would have ZERO influence is 100% stupidity. But anyways. Carry on.

Still ASSuming. Never said he had 0 influence don't try to speak for me. What I said is on the screen read it again. Why you feel the need to make ? up that I never said or even insinuated to make your point?
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are athletes are looked as our political, social, and economic leaders? No one in the world looks at people who ware skilled at using their body in ways the average people can't. They look at people are skilled and great in the mind, not the body.

Let's see what Dr. Boyce Watkins, Professor James Smalls, and etc who are devoted to those areas. All of them will have something clearly more potent than what the average athlete has to say.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    The ? is a NATIONAL HEADLINE

LBJ is helping young black youths go to college.

He could helping spark the change that could happen with what he's doing

That lady had no reason to call out on LBJ to save her.

That's the power of the ppl to promote change.

If you want to wait on a famous person to tell you do research on who you're voting for and what to do than you already lost.

I agree with your premise. Lebron is also doing great things for young Black men. However, the Cleveland community has been very involved in fighting for the changes that they are seeking. No one is asking Lebron to go at this alone or to even speak for an entire community. The community is already doing that for themselves. Having some one like Lebron lend his resources would be a huge help. With or without Lebron Cleveland will continue to bring their city\state officials to task.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Why are athletes are looked as our political, social, and economic leaders? No one in the world looks at people who ware skilled at using their body in ways the average people can't. They look at people are skilled and great in the mind, not the body.

Let's see what Dr. Boyce Watkins, Professor James Smalls, and etc who are devoted to those areas. All of them will have something clearly more potent than what the average athlete has to say.

IMO because that is who the media and a lot parents push for their kids to be like and follow behind. We have parents who actually tell their child why be like Dr. So and So when he don't have money like said athlete or entertainer.

Just part of the way I see it.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Still ASSuming. Never said he had 0 influence don't try to speak for me. What I said is on the screen read it again. Why you feel the need to make ? up that I never said or even insinuated to make your point?

My point has been made 5 posts ago and it's sound. Great!! You didn't say Lebron has Zero influence. You certainly implied it. You said, "I don't think he has the influence to do anything close to that." Play silly all you like.

I then even attempted to clarify further that, Lebron aligning himself with the people of Cleveland could bolster what little influence he may have as, no one expects Lebron to go at it alone. But again contrary for no reason at all. Anyways. Carry on.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    She went a little too far

How ?

Seems light to me. She just seems to wish he acknowledges her son's death, not requiring it from him.

I understand he's not a politician but I can see how underserved people can feel their only hope is another person of color in a powerful position imagining they might havevsome influence to make something happen, especially when our politicians never really serve us.

It's already a huge ? issue.

Be real what could he do?

I'm not saying he could do anything really but to her - she's hurt, she's desperate, the rest of the system is racist, and LeBron is a Black celebrity. She might think ( for right or wrong ) that his words hold weight and hers is a just a small voice that will be ignored.

I'm not even saying Lebron has an obligation but I understand where she's coming from.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Look at it this way, when he went to Miami, all those bars and restaurants around the arena suffered financially when he wasn't there and granted the team was bad, but he has some influence on the city.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

Black history says different though. Ask, Muhammed Ali, Jim Brown, Harry Belafonte, Paul Robeson, Fela Kuti, Bob Marley, KRS-1, Africa Bambattaa, etc etc..
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

How ?

Seems light to me. She just seems to wish he acknowledges her son's death, not requiring it from him.

I understand he's not a politician but I can see how underserved people can feel their only hope is another person of color in a powerful position imagining they might havevsome influence to make something happen, especially when our politicians never really serve us.

I'm not saying he could do anything really but to her - she's hurt, she's desperate, the rest of the system is racist, and LeBron is a Black celebrity. She might think ( for right or wrong ) that his words hold weight and hers is a just a small voice that will be ignored.

I'm not even saying Lebron has an obligation but I understand where she's coming from.

Bottom line.

• twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Derrick Rose didn't say anything about Eric Garner, but he wore "I can't Breathe" shirt and all the other players in the league started to wear them. That in itself made an impact because its in the conscious of everyone. (Media, fans)
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options

How ?

I dont think he could do anything - unless it involved money or using a network of influence. She probably thinks whatever he could do would be more than her given his popularity.

But it didnt sound to me like she's asking for much other than acknowledgement of her son's death since his words carry weight. She lost a son, she's upset, she's hurt - it is what it is.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

How ?

I dont think he could do anything - unless it involved money or using a nrtwork of influence.

But it didnt sound to me like she's asking for much other than acklnowledgement of her son's deat since his words carry weight. She lost a son, she's upset, she's hurt - it is what it is.

Also, OH citizens from various socio-economic backgrounds have come out in support of Tamir and opposition of Cleveland's judicial system. S0, I think it's quite fair to remove the NBA\Celeb\Wealthy moniker placed on Lebron and simply view him as a citizen of OH who some expect to have an opinion\feelings on such a tragic event.
  • D. Morgan
    edited January 2016
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »

Look at it this way, when he went to Miami, all those bars and restaurants around the arena suffered financially when he wasn't there and granted the team was bad, but he has some influence on the city.

I never said he didn't have influence but he doesn't the amount that some people think he does. Also those empty bars are just for basketball season they still have the dolphins, marlins, The U and a hockey team games they make money off of.
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lebron tweeted bout this before it was all in the press