Jay-Z "Is that your ? ".. Top 15 GOAT diss record or no??

Options
Noble Al Lee
Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was thinking back to high school and how much I ? wit this song back then. I bought Memphis Bleeks album bc of this song tbh. Now at that time I was listening to it with no context at all. I thought it was just a fire bragging rights type of record. After the whole Jay/Nas beef that had nasirs baby mother carmen in the middle, it was clear that "is that your ? " was a subliminal track and precursor to "Takeover".

https://youtu.be/e1KnK9-rPsc

Now as a 30 yr old man, I once again revisited that song and have come to the personal conclusion that it is arguably a top 10 or 15 all time great diss record. Takeover attacked nas' music career and street credibility with some ad hominem attacks in there as well. But with it now being common hip hop knowledge that Jay did indeed ? nas' bm Carmen, a lot of the bars from that subliminal diss, imo as a grown man with a bm, are WAY more disrespectful than anything said on takeover. Jay went on record and completely exposed the mother of nas' child to those who understood the deeper inner workings of their rivalry.

"Why you home alone? While she out with me, room 112 hotel balcony. Why she say "Jay you can call the house for free". Thats no respect at all, you better check her dawg.....She keep begging me to hit it raw, and you wifed her.... ? , I put the rubber on tighter"

SMH I woulda had to pull that uzi out my army jacket lining and spray Jay, Memphis and missy just for being on that track.

NOTE-- I'm not trying to turn this into the 10000th "who won the beef jay or nas" thread. I'm talking about the merit of this record alone. What do y'all think about this being arguably being one of the most slept on subliminal records ever.

Comments

• blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was thinking back to high school and how much I ? wit this song back then. I bought Memphis Bleeks album bc of this song tbh. Now at that time I was listening to it with no context at all. I thought it was just a fire bragging rights type of record. After the whole Jay/Nas beef that had nasirs baby mother carmen in the middle, it was clear that "is that your ? " was a subliminal track and precursor to "Takeover".

https://youtu.be/e1KnK9-rPsc

Now as a 30 yr old man, I once again revisited that song and have come to the personal conclusion that it is arguably a top 10 or 15 all time great diss record. Takeover attacked nas' music career and street credibility with some ad hominem attacks in there as well. But with it now being common hip hop knowledge that Jay did indeed ? nas' bm Carmen, a lot of the bars from that subliminal diss, imo as a grown man with a bm, are WAY more disrespectful than anything said on takeover. Jay went on record and completely exposed the mother of nas' child to those who understood the deeper inner workings of their rivalry.

"Why you home alone? While she out with me, room 112 hotel balcony. Why she say "Jay you can call the house for free". Thats no respect at all, you better check her dawg.....She keep begging me to hit it raw, and you wifed her.... ? , I put the rubber on tighter"

SMH I woulda had to pull that uzi out my army jacket lining and spray Jay, Memphis and missy just for being on that track.

NOTE-- I'm not trying to turn this into the 10000th "who won the beef jay or nas" thread. I'm talking about the merit of this record alone. What do y'all think about this being arguably being one of the most slept on subliminal records ever.

AGREED

I been sayin this ? for years.....

....but I also say "U Wanna Be Me", by Nas dont get nearly the props it deserves.
    I know it came out after Ether, but everytime I hear that song, I picture Nas up in the mic booth with a serious ice grill on his face when it was spittin them lyrics.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo this ? was venomous, the album version at least...

Thought this was to Mase tho?
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont care for sub disses

say it with ya chest

not the top 10 diss

case dismissed
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah Son wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    No its not a top 10 diss for the same reason SupaUgly isn't a top 10 diss.

Your supposed to attack your opponent, not his girlfriend.

Ether was aimed at Jay Z. Not his girl, mother, aunt, niece, etc.

By attacking his girl/bm it means he couldn't think of anything to say to Nas.

Here go another stupid post. He didnt "attack his girl" he bragged about taking his rivals ? . Told the world Nas was in love with a hoe that ? his enemy. I mean do you really think this was a diss song aimed at Carmen? I feel stupid explaining stuff that simple to a old head. Come on man stop letting KRS down

The question was, "Is That Your ? a Top 10 Diss record Yes or No". The answer is no because he didn't diss Nas, he dissed his girl.

By all means, explain how dissing Nas's girl = a top 10 diss?
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A subliminal dis could never be in my top anything.
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Made this thread a few months ago
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    A subliminal dis could never be in my top anything.

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 5 stalker song yea...
  • Ether44mag
    Ether44mag Members Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yes definately! I personally prefer subliminal beefs and this song is a personal ether to Nas's fellings for sure haha we talkin about his babymoms here ! thats the kind of speech if someone tells you that in front of a crowd at a basketball court or some you gotta move outta town after that hahaha
  • raheemclassick
    raheemclassick Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gradually I'm taking over your ?
    Coming over your ?
    Got my feet up on you sofa, man
    I mean a hostess for my open hand
    You coming home to ? dishes and empty soda cans

f1346fb80eb1299cb8dc766c7843829e.jpg

I got your ? in my Rover man
    I never kiss her, I never hold her hand
    In fact I diss her I'm a bolder man
    I'mma ? her, it's over man
    It's over man, it's over

giphy.gif

Yo, why you home alone, why she out with me?
    Room 112, hotel balcony
    How she say Jay you can call the house for me?
    There's no respect at all
    You betta check her dawg
    She keep beggin' me to hit it raw
    So she can have my kids and say it was yours
    How foul is she? And you wifed her
    ? , I put the rubber on tighter
    Sent her home, when she entered home
    You hugged her up
    What the ? is up?
    She got you whipped, got your kid
    Got your home, but that's not your ?
    You share that girl
    crying-kid1-251x300.jpg
    CRYMATIC BY NAS"

• hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Its a great record, dissing by proxy is kind of irrelevant though. Carmen is a BM who can really say what her and Nas relationship was at the time. If anything Jay made the beef about Carmen more than an issue with Nas or competition about who was the best rapper.

Crazy thing is, all these years that was Jay - Z ace in the hole. He was brag about ? Carmen, who lets face it, at the time was a bad little ? but looking back on it...? so what?

Gossip girls get into all that who ? who ? , most ? don't care.

Jay was in love with Carmen, he wanted a family with her and too me that takes away much of the sting of 'I ? your wifey and I don't even love her' lines.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Me and my bredas used to rap every lyric of this back in the day, I thought I was the schitt spitting that double/triple time haha
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol ? actin' like Jay ? ' Carmen is a minor. I don't like to comment on these ? ' personal lives but that's gotta hurt