Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Cole said

"? don't sing about love no more"

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    south4life wrote: »
    We don't have anthems anymore, everybody wants to be thugs!
    All they wanna sing about is popping bottles in the club and how gangsta they are, how many females they have and how much money they have and what set they reppin!

Where are R&B songs like.....
    1. H-Town - Emotions
    2. Dru Hill - 5 Steps
    3. Usher - Nice & Slow
    4. R. Kelly - I Can't Sleep
    5. Donnell Jones - Where I Wanna Be
    6. Jodeci - Do You Believe In Love
    7. 112 - Cupid
    8. Ginuwine - So Anxious
    9. Tyrese - Sweet Lady
    10. Maxwell - Sumthin Sumthin
    11. Aaron Hall - I Miss You
    12. Avant - I Can Read Your Mind
    13. D'Angelo - Brown Sugar
    14. Tony Toni Tone - Anniversary
    15. Bell Biv Devoe - When Will I See You Smile Again
    16. Soul 4 Real - If You Want It
    17. Next - Butter Love
    18. Myron - Destiny
    19. Jon B. - They Don't Know
    20. Blackstreet - Joy

And that's just to name a few, you had all types of styles when it came to R&B before the R&B Thug Era kicked in.
    That's why I stick with Mint Condition, Lalah Hathaway, Eric Roberson, Dwele, Goapele, Kindred The Family Soul, Musiq, Jill Scott, Anthony Hamilton, Janelle Monae, Erykah Badu, John Michael, Raphael Saadiq, Chrisette Michele, Gary Clark Jr., Tamia, Dave Hollister and Teedra Moses.

Facts
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    R&B died when singing about cheating became cool. Can you imagine Marvin Gaye singing about cheating?

Singing about cheating been going on. Its more so the vulgarity in r&b. Take Chris Brown's "Back 2 Sleep"...it's actually a nice song...but for some reason on the album version he's cussing all over the record. It messes up the vibe of the song. R&B singers topic matter hasn't really changed, but their presentation of it has. They trying the same approach as rappers calling women ? , hoes, etc.

I love that song but him saying" ? you back 2 sleep" makes it raunchy it's one of the few songs I prefer the radio version .
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    south4life wrote: »
    We don't have anthems anymore, everybody wants to be thugs!
    All they wanna sing about is popping bottles in the club and how gangsta they are, how many females they have and how much money they have and what set they reppin!

Where are R&B songs like.....
    1. H-Town - Emotions
    2. Dru Hill - 5 Steps
    3. Usher - Nice & Slow
    4. R. Kelly - I Can't Sleep
    5. Donnell Jones - Where I Wanna Be
    6. Jodeci - Do You Believe In Love
    7. 112 - Cupid
    8. Ginuwine - So Anxious
    9. Tyrese - Sweet Lady
    10. Maxwell - Sumthin Sumthin
    11. Aaron Hall - I Miss You
    12. Avant - I Can Read Your Mind
    13. D'Angelo - Brown Sugar
    14. Tony Toni Tone - Anniversary
    15. Bell Biv Devoe - When Will I See You Smile Again
    16. Soul 4 Real - If You Want It
    17. Next - Butter Love
    18. Myron - Destiny
    19. Jon B. - They Don't Know
    20. Blackstreet - Joy

And that's just to name a few, you had all types of styles when it came to R&B before the R&B Thug Era kicked in.
    That's why I stick with Mint Condition, Lalah Hathaway, Eric Roberson, Dwele, Goapele, Kindred The Family Soul, Musiq, Jill Scott, Anthony Hamilton, Janelle Monae, Erykah Badu, John Michael, Raphael Saadiq, Chrisette Michele, Gary Clark Jr., Tamia, Dave Hollister and Teedra Moses.

About half of those songs and artists are on my ipod right now. All i listen to basically
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    R&B died when singing about cheating became cool. Can you imagine Marvin Gaye singing about cheating?

Johnnie Taylor sang about cheating all the time. That was the blues but still.

R&B is mostly about sex, there are few records about love.

When we went from "ain't no mountain high enough to keep me away from you" to songs about hitting and quitting it should have been cause for alarm. "Love" songs of today (we talking mainstream now) boil down to sex, some people see no difference and that's part of the problem

This is so true...it's all ? with no love..no vulnerability..no real passion. Every song I hear from Trey songz he either ? or cheating or begging to get his girl back that left him because he was cheating.

I ? with Bryson Tiller tho
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are many ways to unpack his statements. I think the two biggest reasons for R&B sounding like hiphop are

1. The music we listen to, often is a direct reflection of the mind-state, cultural values, and priorities of the generation.

In the 70's, we had two-parent households, high marriages rates, and a profound sense of black pride. Not surprisingly, the music was a reflection of that with love songs laden with poetry-themed songs extolling the virtues of "black love." So the culture at large received a mutually beneficial upward trajectory, via black music (specifically R&B).

2. The dumbing down of our music via the Southern invasion.

Looking back when people talk about the "golden era" of Rap music, and R&B, specifically they're talking about the nineties. Not only did we still have "rap groups" (Wu-tang, Tribe, Fugees, De la Soul etc.) but we also had R&B groups.

This started to change when R-kelly (the self-described R&B thug) collaborated with Biggie on "I'm ? you tonight." This track set the table for these strange bedfellows to begin targeting hip hop heads, and the broads (Just like how adult-themed animation captures adults and kids to movies, killing 2 birds with one stone.)

Then in the 2000's, artists from the South like Future, Migos, and Young Thug, etc. With their ABC, popcorn bubble-gum rap, that don't give ? "food for thought", or drop any jewels, started singing with autotune on the hook (and sometimes through the entire song) that the line between R&B and rap music became increasingly blurred.

That's when artists like August Alisina, Trey Songs, and others started making music that sounded like rap.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://youtu.be/t3SBkMqZ71o

This a 90s R n B record. Please try to tell me that ain't a hip hop beat
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    huey wrote: »
    gotta blame teddy riley for that

Yall nosigned this but teddy riley started new jack swing. New Jack swing was R & B + hip hop beats. Prove us wrong.

edit: Also rappers on R&B songs became needed. If you didnt have a rapper on your ? in the 90s. Your new single may been looked over. Y

Yes R&B thug became a thing. But that was only after you had to have a rapper on your singles.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

Yall nosigned this but teddy riley started new jack swing. New Jack swing was R & B + hip hop beats. Prove us wrong.

edit: Also rappers on R&B songs became needed. If you didnt have a rapper on your ? in the 90s. Your new single may been looked over. Y

Yes R&B thug became a thing. But that was only after you had to have a rapper on your singles.

It got no signed because Teddy Riley still made R&B w/o a hip hop influence content wise. It's not the sound, it's the content of the music and the lyrics being written that has changed R&B...and even back in the day when a rapper got on an R&B track the rapper catered to the topic of the song. Now you'll have a rapper on an R&B song talking about everything but the damn song itself. Look at the music he did with Blackstreet, Bobby Brown, etc. Yes those songs had a hip hop influence in terms of beats, but those are R&B records content wise.
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It all boils down to the current r&b singers just not having talent...they get by with excellent engineers & auto-tune...it's a shame when we can sing along and sound just as good as the artists...man back in the 90s/early 2000s, those r&b singers could SANG! I'd be sounding like shid compared to them....I can't name one r&b singer that can sing...and I mean SANG a cappella...now although the talent isn't in the industry now, you can't tell me there's no one out there that can sing like Gerald Levert or Dino from H-Town or Al Green...they just haven't been discovered...

plus, more r&b artists need to start taking the mixtape/independent route like some of the rappers...because these record labels are only going to sign artists that are safe (i.e the August Alsina's, Chris Browns and Trey Songz)....their style is currently what's popular so they don't want to risk signing an artist who is truly r&b because that may not be what the music listeners want (smh).

Can you imagine how refreshing it would be to hear an r&b singer that can actually sing? Do y'all realize how long it's been since there's been a male r&b singer that can actually sing???(not including r.kelly and usher)...if someone was to come out now and drop a "separated" or a "woman's work" now, dude would sell like 500,000 first week.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Nowadays most urban artists are harmonizing so it's not much of a difference these days, and we know soul singers don't get played on hip hop stations anymore.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    There's also no more real groups. Think of the last time you heard 4 or 5 people legit harmonizing and sounding great
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    There's also no more real groups. Think of the last time you heard 4 or 5 people legit harmonizing and sounding great

i think that's because there's not enough money to be made in music to be splitting up 4 and 5 ways anymore. Dam shame really
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

Teddy still made R&B songs with Blackstreet and he produced on the Dangerous album with songs like "I Will Be There", "Keep The Faith" and "Gone Too Soon" and he produced tracks for The HIStory album like, "You Are Not Alone" which was written by R. Kelly and "Stranger In Moscow".

Teddy mixed it up and that's why he had hits for days, not to mention when Guy got back together and did my favorite song "Dancin".

R.Kelly started the R&B thug sound, Trey Songz kept it going, Chris Brown thrived in it and August Alsina took the torch.
  • r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about the weekend
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's the progression of culture and the evolution of music. Artists can create whatever they want to create and you as a consumer have the option to support what you like. I don't understand the desire for creativity to remain static.

The R&B Avant does lost its fire in the 2000s because none of the artists, including Avant, were innovating. An Avant single could have been sung by anyone else at the time and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Sales declined and consumers went somewhere else. Neo soul was hot for a good minute but it didn't stick the way it could have because artists were too busy complaining about the name of the genre and didn't want to be associated with it. For instance, Raphael Saadiq started bullshitting with the "gospeldelic" thing and changed the nature of his sound to steer away from the neo soul movement.

Avant should stop complaining about what other artists are doing and what people enjoy and continue doing what he does, but in a way that captivates an audience. He's going to have to think out of the box and not cling to R&B clichés.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MallyG wrote: »
    This isn't anything nowhere near new tho.

It can make a come back b/c music is cyclical in a sense, but it has to be quality with people that can really blow w/ great production to match. Labels have to get behind real RnB also b/c they had a hand in it dying out.

Side note, he can start bringin' RnB back by stop wearing muscle shirts w/ airline wings on'em. Nikka outchea lookin' like Derek Fisher and Rampage Jackson @ the same damn time.

Lol yo that's Captain America's logo from Winter Soldier.I would wear a loose shirt like that cause I'm skinny.

I think RnB has also ruined Hip Hop.Future and Drake don't know if the singing or rapping.You don't get the pure raw Hip Hop sound like 36 Chambers,Pain in Full or a Public Enemy album anymore.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Teddy Riley had to because that was still expected. New Jack Swing was still new. R Kelly still putting out regular R&B but he starting the R&B thug ? .

People want that blunt talking ? and they are giving it to you. No artistic wordplay.

• Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    r.prince18 wrote: »
    What about the weekend

the weeknd is harder on hoes than most rappers
  • Fly society513
    Fly society513 Members Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everything in mainstream R&B is a reflection of what's going on in real life imo. You have some people in love and happy, but social media and other outlets say otherwise.

My ? Jon sings, and I always told him his music reminds me of the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-yz7-W9F7M