DC Passes Bill To Pay People Stipends Not To Commit Crimes

Options
13»

Comments

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Government: Just label your Compton kids ? (PTSD) for life. Just admit you wasn't ? as a parent and have no control over you kid in DC. IF you willing to do that here you go
    tumblr_mevyrg2aBf1r19b8c.gif

Some of yall ? on here looking just like this for that money
    giphy.gif
    rjiedh.gif

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Next: paying these same people not to have children.

Reason: they will require government assistance...

Just thought of a thread idea...
  • Star Nine
    Star Nine Members Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Government: Just label your Compton kids ? (PTSD) for life. Just admit you wasn't ? as a parent and have no control over you kid in DC. IF you willing to do that here you go
    tumblr_mevyrg2aBf1r19b8c.gif

Some of yall ? on here looking just like this for that money
    giphy.gif
    rjiedh.gif

you know ? love their white daddy. this is just another way for the gov to control children and their family, their is no such thing as "free money"
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn u ? are stupid
  • Star Nine
    Star Nine Members Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    Damn u ? are stupid

stop falling for the same trick white people pull all the time
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This ? is dumb and I said my city was ? up putting this ? in the mayor's office.

why is it dumb if it lowers crime, could keep a young person out of prison, and saves the government money????

Is this a serious question? You don't see a problem with using funds to pay people for not doing ? they shouldn't be doing anyway?

How about they try to fix the problems that lead to people adopting criminal lifestyles instead? This is pretty much the definition of throwing money at a problem instead of actually trying to solve it.

sigh

there's no silver bullet to ending crime

everyone has different motivations as to why they behave the way they do

with that said, many of the at risk youth targeted by this program grow up in impoverished neighborhoods with high crime rates

crime drives away businesses and subsequently economic opportunity.... exacerbating poverty

the stipend is not the solution to the epidemic of poverty and crime, but its a start in the right direction

and it's not just stripends, they have to participate and complete behavioral therapy which is aimed at resetting what's considered normal behavior for students and teaching them how to cope and deal with anger before it becomes crime

not only that it has been proven in other areas to lower crime

yes there is more we could do, but its going to take more than just the will of the city of DC

lol None of us need an education on why crime is bad. None of us believes there is one golden solution for eradicating crime from the world or even one city. None of what you said explains why paying people to be law abiding citizens is a good idea. We all agree that something need to be done, but this sets a bad precedent. If these kids are only behaving because they're getting something out of it, what happens when that money is no longer coming to them. It doesn't matter that they are participating in behavioral therapy. They have to buy-in to that type of thing for it to work. If they are only there to collect a check, then they aren't truly buying into it. It's just an all around bad idea. Would you pay your kids to behave?

lol

and you are assuming that the participants will not buy into the program based off what exactly other than preconceived notions and your own prejudices

anyways lets see if it works as it has for another city

its supposedly only one piece of a comprehensive plan to reduce crime in the city which will benefit tax payers in the long run

I was financially rewarded when I got good grades and I turned out ok so....*shrugs*

you do raise some valid concerns, I rather they give the participants city jobs myself. did wonders for my city until funding ran low... but again lets wait and see

I'm not assuming anything. I didn't say no one in the program will buy-in. I said joining the program solely for the money is not buying in, and it isn't. Buying-in is involving yourself because you want to or feel it's the right thing to do. Will some be motivated to join up for the money and then get serious once they are there? Maybe, I'm betting it's more likely that most will be interested in staying as long as the money is there and then back off when it's not.

And lol @ comparing getting money for getting good grades to getting money for not being a criminal. You're better than that desertrain. You know good and well incentivizing good performance is not the same as paying people to not be criminals.

I more so mentioned how I was rewarded for good behavior as a kid in response to your question "would you pay your kids to behave?"

When I behaved at the doctors or at a sitters, I was also rewarded

I'll more than likely do the same with my children

And its not that different a concept

The participants aren't felons or hardened criminals, but at risk youth.... the aim of the program is further incentivizing behavior that is conducive to positive outcomes for the individual and their community

The participants are actually earning the stipend by attended classes that could potentially help them better cope with their emotions and change their outlook on life for the better

Again you raise some valid questions/concerns, but again given what it has done for a community that was once facing the same circumstances, it is not some ridiculous idea as some have suggested

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is dumb and I said my city was ? up putting this ? in the mayor's office.

why is it dumb if it lowers crime, could keep a young person out of prison, and saves the government money????

Is this a serious question? You don't see a problem with using funds to pay people for not doing ? they shouldn't be doing anyway?

How about they try to fix the problems that lead to people adopting criminal lifestyles instead? This is pretty much the definition of throwing money at a problem instead of actually trying to solve it.

sigh

there's no silver bullet to ending crime

everyone has different motivations as to why they behave the way they do

with that said, many of the at risk youth targeted by this program grow up in impoverished neighborhoods with high crime rates

crime drives away businesses and subsequently economic opportunity.... exacerbating poverty

the stipend is not the solution to the epidemic of poverty and crime, but its a start in the right direction

and it's not just stripends, they have to participate and complete behavioral therapy which is aimed at resetting what's considered normal behavior for students and teaching them how to cope and deal with anger before it becomes crime

not only that it has been proven in other areas to lower crime

yes there is more we could do, but its going to take more than just the will of the city of DC

lol None of us need an education on why crime is bad. None of us believes there is one golden solution for eradicating crime from the world or even one city. None of what you said explains why paying people to be law abiding citizens is a good idea. We all agree that something need to be done, but this sets a bad precedent. If these kids are only behaving because they're getting something out of it, what happens when that money is no longer coming to them. It doesn't matter that they are participating in behavioral therapy. They have to buy-in to that type of thing for it to work. If they are only there to collect a check, then they aren't truly buying into it. It's just an all around bad idea. Would you pay your kids to behave?

lol

and you are assuming that the participants will not buy into the program based off what exactly other than preconceived notions and your own prejudices

anyways lets see if it works as it has for another city

its supposedly only one piece of a comprehensive plan to reduce crime in the city which will benefit tax payers in the long run

I was financially rewarded when I got good grades and I turned out ok so....*shrugs*

you do raise some valid concerns, I rather they give the participants city jobs myself. did wonders for my city until funding ran low... but again lets wait and see

I'm not assuming anything. I didn't say no one in the program will buy-in. I said joining the program solely for the money is not buying in, and it isn't. Buying-in is involving yourself because you want to or feel it's the right thing to do. Will some be motivated to join up for the money and then get serious once they are there? Maybe, I'm betting it's more likely that most will be interested in staying as long as the money is there and then back off when it's not.

And lol @ comparing getting money for getting good grades to getting money for not being a criminal. You're better than that desertrain. You know good and well incentivizing good performance is not the same as paying people to not be criminals.

I more so mentioned how I was rewarded for good behavior as a kid in response to your question "would you pay your kids to behave?"

When I behaved at the doctors or at a sitters, I was also rewarded

I'll more than likely do the same with my children

And its not that different a concept

The participants aren't felons or hardened criminals, but at risk youth.... the aim of the program is further incentivizing behavior that is conducive to positive outcomes for the individual and their community

The participants are actually earning the stipend by attended classes that could potentially help them better cope with their emotions and change their outlook on life for the better

Again you raise some valid questions/concerns, but again given what it has done for a community that was once facing the same circumstances, it is not some ridiculous idea as some have suggested

That's probably why you are so ? up in the head now..... ? would i look like paying my child for something he is obligated to do??? that's not teaching him to take pride in assuming his responsibility. Youth have to learn to do what is right based on their own desire not an outside reward..... because in the real world you won't be rewarded for doing what is right. IN OTHER WORDS DO WHAT'S RIGHT FOR RIGHT'S SAKE AND NOT FOR MONEY.

and who the ? is paying for this ? ??? why should my tax money go to this ? ???
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You do know America is great because of taxes

How you think the US basically run the world. Taxes that funded military.

Take away the ability to fund the military and see how great America is.
  • zzombie
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

america is great because of business it is business that created the jobs that pay people who then in turn pay taxes that fund the military. when taxes are not used intelligently it's nothing but a waste people don't want to hear this because it sounds mean but it is the hard truth
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

america is great because of business it is business that created the jobs that pay people who then in turn pay taxes that fund the military. when taxes are not used intelligently it's nothing but a waste people don't want to hear this because it sounds mean but it is the hard truth

Can have big business if you can't protect it

But you and the ppl that think like you send jobs to other countries in which return is hurting America.
  • zzombie
    edited February 2016
    Options

But you and the ppl that think like you send jobs to other countries in which return is hurting America.

Big business pays for it's protection by paying taxes jobs got sent away because the government here made doing business to hard. The usa has some of the highest corporate taxes on the planet.
  • Shizlansky
    Options

Big business pays for it's protection by paying taxes jobs got sent away because the government here made doing business to hard. The usa has some of the highest corporate taxes on the planet.

Gtfoh

Business moved away for drastically cheaper labor. No other damn reason.
  • zzombie
    Options

Gtfoh

Why was the labor cheaper you simple minded idiot???
  • Shizlansky
    Options

Gtfoh

Because the government don't give a ? about it citizens
  • zzombie
    edited February 2016
    Options

Gtfoh

Because the government don't give a ? about it citizens

lol labor is cheaper elsewhere because people in other nations are willing to work for less , that fact in combination with higher american taxes, set wages and stupid regulations drove businesses over seas. If government had kept taxes low and not passed all these stupid labor regulations then so much of american industry would not have bounced . some corporations would still have shipped their production overseas but not so much as we have today.

what the government should do is charge american corporations who make goods overseas and want to sell them in america a special tax. Meanwhile corporations who make and sell their products within america should pay no tax at all
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    What person would work for 2 dollars a hour in America?

Big business drove up the average cost of living so why would a person work for scraps when you can't afford a lot to ?

Taxes didn't drive jobs away.

Other countries treat their citizens like slaves and that's why jobs have moved.

• zzombie
    Options
    What person would work for 2 dollars a hour in America?

Big business drove up the average cost of living so why would a person work for scraps when you can't afford a lot to ?

Taxes didn't drive jobs away.

Other countries treat their citizens like slaves and that's why jobs have moved.

IT WAS not big business that drove up the cost of living business has no such power because the government stops monopolies from being created also business does not control the value of currency it does not print currency, the government does. Tariffs, trade deals AND international agreements are all in the hands of government and these things affect the business world

There is action and then reaction business adapts itself to the playing field the government creates but it does so in an unpredictable manner. That is why sometimes when the government thinks it's helping it's actually making things worse
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Big business has its hand in the government.
  • zzombie
    Options
    Big business has its hand in the government.

NOT in the way you have been lead to believe sure big business lobby politicans but business does not dictate policy for the wider economy. Big business may lobby and get what it wants for one industry or another but they don't directly influence the whole economy.

The value of the dollar and the standard or living are composed of many different factors besides the actions of business.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    crime will never stop, but if we really want to reduce crime we have to produce better people, people with more morals more pride in themselves and their community.

Crime will stop when there is no incentive to commit crimes, whether that's up to government or private sector that's up to debate

Crime will never stop no matter what incentives exist. Facts, not all crime is because of circumstances or lack of opportunities. You have people who just like the thrill, crimes of passion/jealousy, serial killers, child molesters, rapists, hate crimes, gangs and crimes from people who don't value human life or respect society.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    crime will never stop, but if we really want to reduce crime we have to produce better people, people with more morals more pride in themselves and their community.

Crime will stop when there is no incentive to commit crimes, whether that's up to government or private sector that's up to debate

WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN BECAUSE THERE WILL ALWAYS BE POVERTY thus there will always be an incentive to do crime

Poverty is not the cause of Crime though.This country is wealthier than it has ever been with tons of benefits for those who are poor.I know plenty of people who committed crimes who are not in poverty.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What difference is 200 people gonna make tho? Meh.