Damn, this young brother wants to be a doctor real bad: Arrested for practicing without a license

Options
A Talented One
A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
A teenager in South Florida who was advertising his health care services had certifications in holistic healthcare. He had lab coats and a stethoscope. He even had a medical office.

What the 18-year-old Malachi A. Love-Robinson didn’t have, officials say, is a medical degree.

On Tuesday, Mr. Love-Robinson was accused of practicing medicine without a license after officials said he was caught performing a physical exam and offering medical advice to an undercover agent. The episode is the latest in a series of encounters with law enforcement dating back to early 2015 as Mr. Love-Robinson tried time and again to portray himself as a doctor, officials said.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement that Mr. Love-Robinson managed to open and operate his own office, called New Birth New Life Medical Center & Urgent Care, in a building populated by medical and dentistry offices in West Palm Beach, complete with a grand-opening celebration held in January.

In Florida, practicing medicine without a license is a third-degree felony. Mr. Love-Robinson was scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday.

Brad Dalton, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Health, said in an interview that a tip from the public had led to the investigation and arrest of Mr. Love-Robinson. The tipster told the authorities that “a person who was portraying himself as a 25-year-old doctor was actually an 18-year-old,” Mr. Dalton said.

Reached by phone, Mr. Love-Robinson said Wednesday that he had been forced to close his office and called the charges against him “gut wrenching.”

“I’m not trying to hurt people,” he said. “I’m just a young black guy who opened up a practice who is trying to do some good in the community. If that is a negative thing, we have a lot more work to do in the community than to single out me.”

He said that the undercover agent who posed as a patient came in complaining of an itchy throat. Mr. Love-Robinson took her weight, checked her breathing and checked her temperature, then recommended she visit a local pharmacy for allergy medication.

“There were no scripts given,” he said, “no medical advice given.”

Mr. Love-Robinson said that he had received a Ph.D. in another field from a “private Christian university,” but he refused to name the institution or the field in which he received the degree.

He also said that he was certified to provide alternative health care.

That certificate was provided by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners, a group for holistic health professionals including herbalists and other so-called drug-free practitioners. The organization approved Mr. Love-Robinson’s application after reviewing copies of degrees and diplomas sent by mail, according to the group’s director, Donald Rosenthal.

Mr. Rosenthal said that the credential, which has been issued to some 21,000 people, does not allow for people to diagnose or treat medical conditions.

“We tell them that all they can do is consult and educate,” Mr. Rosenthal said, adding that applicants must sign a disclosure saying they understand that the certification does not substitute for the skills of a medical doctor.

Mr. Love-Robinson said that he was not trying to diagnose or treat patients.

But this week’s episode was not the first time he was accused of portraying himself as a medical doctor. Last October, he was arrested after he was accused of spending about three weeks practicing medicine without a license at New Directions, a treatment office specializing in addiction recovery, in Boynton Beach, Fla., Mr. Dalton, the spokesman for the Florida Department of Health, said.

Mr. Dalton added that the teenager was also taken into custody as a minor in January 2015 after he spent several weeks walking the halls of St. Mary’s Medical Center in West Palm Beach wearing a lab coat and a stethoscope, an episode reported at the time by The Palm Beach Post.

The newspaper reported that Mr. Love-Robinson’s mother said the teenager was suffering from an illness and refused to take medication. Mr. Love-Robinson’s illness was not disclosed.

On Wednesday, Mr. Love-Robinson said that he had been shadowing a physician, and that the medical staff at St. Mary’s was “supposed to know” what he was doing there. As for the illness his mother mentioned, he said that it was a misunderstanding, and that he was going through a “hard time and got a little overwhelmed.”

A spokesman for St. Mary’s declined to comment for the record.

As he moved throughout the area attempting to practice medicine, according to the authorities, Mr. Love-Robinson appeared to maintain profiles on several websites allowing for consumer reviews to build up his reputation. On Healthgrades.com, his specializations were listed as naturopathy and psychology.

On his profile on the National Provider Identifier Database his offered treatments included minor and orificial surgery. He was listed as a student in a health care training program, but his profile on the database didn’t contain any information about which schools he attended.

“I value my practice skills which include great communication skills as well as timely and prompt care,” his biography on Healthgrades said. “I am a strong believer that patients in general are the strongest medical tools there is.”

The health department on Tuesday served Mr. Love-Robinson a notice to cease and desist and several citations, the sheriff’s office said. He is accused of operating without the training of a medical doctor, which is typically four years for medical school and a minimum of three years for residency.

“Just because you saw a season of Grey’s Anatomy doesn’t mean you could practice medicine,” the sheriff’s office posted Tuesday on Twitter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/us/florida-teenager-is-accused-of-posing-as-a-doctor-again.html?_r=0

18xp-doctor-master180.jpg

Comments

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More like that idiot wants to be a prison inmate real bad
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The grand opening celebration was hilarious!
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He should have been a back alley ? surgeon.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interesting read
  • felliwonda
    felliwonda Members Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    Options
    So why doesn't he go to school and get legitimately certified to be a doctor if he is passionate about the profession and well of course if he is not mentally ill
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    felliwonda wrote: »
    So why doesn't he go to school and get legitimately certified to be a doctor if he is passionate about the profession and well of course if he is not mentally ill

Same thing I wondered. Dude is still young.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shrug ... the homie aint did nothing to warrant imprisonment. The same state gave Zimmerman his gun back.

he was practicing alternative medicine ..

That certificate was provided by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners, a group for holistic health professionals including herbalists and other so-called drug-free practitioners.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “Just because you saw a season of Grey’s Anatomy doesn’t mean you could practice medicine,” the sheriff’s office posted Tuesday on Twitter.

Haha.....

Buddy should've thought that one through a bit more tho.....
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just saw this on the news. The kid is very intelligent and articulate. I see a movie about this being made
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The black Doogie Howser
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    The black Doogie Howser

Nah more like the black Frank Abignail
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    one word

Ambitious
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thats very expensive and takes years of learning and effort.

D0wn wrote: »
    Shrug ... the homie aint did nothing to warrant imprisonment. The same state gave Zimmerman his gun back.

he was practicing alternative medicine ..

That certificate was provided by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners, a group for holistic health professionals including herbalists and other so-called drug-free practitioners.

There is no such thing as "alternative medicine."
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The thing is that the (grand)father must be helping this Lil ? out. A building to practice in? ? my pops wouldn't even buy me a $800 car for my first ride lol.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Thats very expensive and takes years of learning and effort.

lmao 4 years of College, 4 years of Med School, and 3 to 8 years of Residency........lil homie woulda had to start in pre-school if not the ?

jono wrote: »
    There is no such thing as "alternative medicine."

Nah don't say that around here bruh. These Wise Knowledge ? ? think AIDS and cancer can be cured with vitamins n herbal supplements lol. THE MEDIA IS SUPRESSING THE TRUTH, FREE YOUR MIND.

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    HE DID IT AGAIN!!!
    NjMzYTVkYTc4OCMvUjVCSmZ0dExIc2FVV01GWU9pZU16SFBKTU9NPS83MXg0MzoyMzI5eDEyMDAvMTI4MHg2MjAvZmlsdGVyczpxdWFsaXR5KDc1KS9odHRwczovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy94NnR6b25zMWdobXZzMmxsdHBsbGNnY3E2Z25ianN0bG91eDdud3BhcXZ0cWZia2hkcW1jOHZwdXRsYmNyc2NpLmpwZw.jpg

Can't stop, won't stop — Malachi Love-Robinson just can't quit practicing medicine, even though he is a teenager and lacks the requisite license, and even though the long arm of the law keeps trying to hold him back.

The 19-year-old dreamer was arrested for larceny and fraud — posing as a doctor, which he is not — Monday during a previously scheduled court appearance. The self-appointed Dr. Love allegedly racked up between $20,000 and $100,000 in ill-gotten gains, as well as passing a bad check, offenses for which he was thrown in Palm Beach County Jail.

OTU0NTM2ZmQ2YyMvbEdJV0szcFJHWWpZQzJlLXZQWVgxQUJpd1ZBPS8zNXgxOjkyNXg2MzkvNjIxeDQ0NS9maWx0ZXJzOnF1YWxpdHkoNzApL2h0dHA6Ly9zMy5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL3BvbGljeW1pYy1pbWFnZXMvNjFyMnlkdW1nbmRvdWEwOHd2ZGp2Y3FuYm1zY2tzc3p2ZnZ5Y3RiaWhobHJzNjN2cW5yanh6ZXI5Z3Azcmg4Yy5qcGc.jpg

This is not, however, the first time Love-Robinson has been arrested for posing as a doctor. In February, the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office busted him after his family and friends notified the Florida Health Department that he was a potential danger to the community, according to the Independent.

Love-Robinson opened his own naturopathy clinic in January, where he was administering such dubious treatments as "air therapy." He allegedly swindled elderly patients out of tens of thousands of dollars, and again, there's the pesky issue of him not being a real doctor.

In an interview with ABC, Love-Robinson insisted that he held a PhD and that "there are many types of degrees out there that hold the title of doctor." M.D. — doctor of medicine — is the only one that designates a person as able to practice medicine, and that's one Love-Robinson does not hold. He has, however, "shadowed many doctors," if that helps assuage anyone's concerns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Pi7zUumh4

During February's initial media storm, the Florida teen speculated that the legal drama was not motivated by malpractice or grand theft or practicing medicine without a license, but by other people's envy.

"It's just jealousy," he told Florida's WPBF in February. "Any time anybody has something to say about somebody, it's because they're successful."

Intriguingly, Love-Robinson's arrest on Monday was linked to events that predate his February arrest. According to the Palm Beach Post, his attorney Leonard Feuer was arguing for his removal from the case when Love-Robinson was taken into custody. Apparently, an ethical issue bars Feuer from defending Dr. Love, a task he'd reportedly planned to accomplish by pleading insanity.

Love-Robinson is no longer in jail — he posted an $8,000 bond and walked out Monday, so if past experience is any kind of indicator, it's only a matter of time (minutes? hours?) before he's back out there, healing the people.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Greatest Doctor of All Time.
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If thats not dedication

Idk what is
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That interview was hysterical! Dude is serious.

Air therapy? People paid for that?
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Leave that brother alone so he can misdiagnosed someone and they die or permanently damaged.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THEY GONE LOVE ME FOR MY AMBITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3x7ctskzfkx3.jpg
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't understand why someone can't help him. He can't intern at a hospital or something ?