Apple Fights Order to Unlock San Bernardino Shooter’s iPhone

Options
7figz
7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
Apple Fights Order to Unlock San Bernardino Shooter’s iPhone
Apple said on Wednesday that it would oppose and challenge a federal court order to help the F.B.I. unlock an iPhone used by one of the two attackers who killed 14 people in San Bernardino, Calif., in December.

On Tuesday, in a significant victory for the government, Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym of the Federal District Court for the District of Central California ordered Apple to bypass security functions on an iPhone 5c used by Syed Rizwan Farook, who was killed by the police along with his wife, Tashfeen Malik, after they attacked Mr. Farook’s co-workers at a holiday gathering.

Judge Pym ordered Apple to build special software that would essentially act as a skeleton key capable of unlocking the phone.

But hours later, in a statement by its chief executive, Timothy D. Cook, Apple announced its refusal to comply. The move sets up a legal showdown between the company, which says it is eager to protect the privacy of its customers, and the law enforcement authorities, who say that new encryption technologies hamper their ability to prevent and solve crime.

In his statement, Mr. Cook called the court order an “unprecedented step” by the federal government. “We oppose this order, which has implications far beyond the legal case at hand,” he wrote.

Asked about Apple’s resistance, the Justice Department pointed to a statement by Eileen M. Decker, the United States attorney for the Central District of California: “We have made a solemn commitment to the victims and their families that we will leave no stone unturned as we gather as much information and evidence as possible. These victims and families deserve nothing less.”

The F.B.I. said that its experts had been unable to access data on Mr. Farook’s iPhone, and that only Apple could bypass its security features. F.B.I. experts have said they risk losing the data permanently after 10 failed attempts to enter the password because of the phone’s security features.

The Justice Department had secured a search warrant for the phone, owned by Mr. Farook’s former employer, the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, which consented to the search.

Why aren't they (the government) asking for Apple to hack one phone, why are they asking for general software that can break the encryption on an iPhone ? That should tell you that they're shady.

Apple Fights Order to Unlock San Bernardino Shooter’s iPhone 51 votes

Apple is doing the right thing. The goverment is on their usual ? .
92%
 i ro nyMillzOGBelovedAfeninex ginobnoxiouslyfreshbkkbullybigbird_1mryounggunKwan DaiCapitalBHustleTreeMr.LVL.O.S.T.OuncemanCeLLaR-DooRnujerz84Idiopathic JokerCainHarlemThumzUptexasdaking88 47 votes
The government is right, they're trying to protect us. Apple is helping terrorists.
7%
NCswag_God_bgoatSplackavelli 4 votes

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    apple gonna fukk around an get shutdown...
    they on the wrong side of ?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You'd be surprised the number of people who follow the other train of thought. MFs are naïve or most likely, willfully ignorant - talking about they won't buy another iPhone if Apple doesn't comply - ? ' sheep.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    They'll just make a new law to force company's to allow access in any acct.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not gonna happen. Apple is firmly entrenched in the American economy. Them folks gonna get that ? wake up call when, the real movers and shakers in Govt. tell them to fall back.

• Kwan Dai
    Options
    The patriot act gives them all the access they need. Apple data is stored on servers. People are idiots. Like the ? doesn't cross their minds as to how you can wipe your phone bone clean and then restore from Apple servers. The fools really think their data is literally somewhere in a "cloud" where it can't be accessed unless you can fly plane.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

On the contrary, I think this is a good look for Apple and a bad look for other companies. Not only does it show that their phone is more secure (that the government supposedly can't hack it), but it gives the impression that they actually give a ? about their customers' security.

Exactly!! What a load of ? . Like the FBI doesn't have the tools to get around apple security or they can't pass that ? off to the NSA. Stop fronting. This is a play to make it easier for the less funded, stupid branches of law enforcement to infringe on our privacy by giving them a master key.
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apple did right....the federal government couldn't stop hackers during the Office of Personnel Management security breach, so how do you think some of the acquired information through a Fed court order would be safe......that makes Apple users vulnerable to hacking through the Federal government
  • HustleTree
    HustleTree Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im getting the iphone 7 just off the strength of this article .. good for them
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gotta watch how this play out..
    bout to get all my ? iPhones if apple pulls this off..

its said they got more money then the government.. it better. lol
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The government is right, they're trying to protect us. Apple is helping terrorists.
    ? Apple, unlock the phone.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apple has all y'all personal info and y'all cool with that.

Big Brother
    Apple
    Microsoft
    Google

All the same to me. They all know our every move.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apple ain't got ? to do with that case. So they trying to bully them and actually expect them to essentially compromise their own product and to do it at their own expense? They don't have any real obligation to help the government here, especially considering it might cost them business and/or tarnish their reputation.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Apple is doing the right thing

They shouldn't release anything with out a warrant
  • Thereal_ba
    Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You'd be surprised the number of people who follow the other train of thought. MFs are naïve or most likely, willfully ignorant - talking about they won't buy another iPhone if Apple doesn't comply - ? ' sheep.

This, and we are slowly be stripped of our privacy and rights
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Not gonna happen. Apple is firmly entrenched in the American economy. Them folks gonna get that ? wake up call when, the real movers and shakers in Govt. tell them to fall back.

I think Apple has more money than the surplus the U.S. government makes or currently has in its own bank account kept overseas. The move behind this is prolly so they can get Apple to bring it back to America so they can tax it SMMFH. Cuz if the cellphone can be broken into what does this mean for everybody....

That could be the motive. However, I think the real play here is to get local law enforcement the more access to civilian data without a warrant. There is no need to break into a phone especially and iphone when all of the data is stored on servers. They can subpoena phone logs, text and email there is no need to access that data locally.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Judge Pym ordered Apple to build special software that would essentially act as a skeleton key capable of unlocking the phone.

This can't be constitutional. The effects of that are more than what is necessary to address the problem the FBI allegedly has. It's disproportionate and overbroad as ? .
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good for Apple although there is no one who is going to tell me with all the things at the governments disposal with agencies like the NSA and CIA that they can't access Apple's servers whether they have permission or not.

It's good Apple is putting up a fight and at least giving a damn about customers and privacy, but I suspect they are inevitably fighting a losing battle going against the federal government.

The Feds will simply make provisions to already existing legislation that speak to things such as this in the future though.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Let me start off by saying I'm proabably one of the last people on this planet you would consider an apple enthusiast. In saying that, I tip my hat to Apple in regards to this matter. What the fbi is essentially saying, is for apple to hand them over a master encryption key. by designing special software that would enable them to brute force random permutations ofor an infinite amount of times. Nullifying the security of the platform and exposing a vulnerability threat hackers would love to exploit. This is a dangerous precedent law enforcement is setting here
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would agree with the FBI if I didn't think the San Bernardino shooting was a cover up (based on some of the eye witness accounts).
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

On the contrary, I think this is a good look for Apple and a bad look for other companies. Not only does it show that their phone is more secure (that the government supposedly can't hack it), but it gives the impression that they actually give a ? about their customers' security.

Exactly!! What a load of ? . Like the FBI doesn't have the tools to get around apple security or they can't pass that ? off to the NSA. Stop fronting. This is a play to make it easier for the less funded, stupid branches of law enforcement to infringe on our privacy by giving them a master key.

Lml bruh u work in it or are you making assumptions?
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apple >>>>> Andriod