Gene Simmons: “Rap Will Die” yo what's wrong with this cat

Options
270crownst
270crownst Members Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
Gene Simmons, who has long been critical of Rap, has again dissed the genre.

"I am looking forward to the death of Rap,” the Kiss singer says during an interview withRolling Stone. "I'm looking forward to music coming back to lyrics and melody, instead of just talking. A song, as far as I'm concerned, is by definition lyric and melody … or just melody."

In 2014, Simmons complained about the induction of Rap acts into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"You’ve got Grandmaster Flash in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?” the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member said at the time of 2007 inductees Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five. "Run-DMC in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? You’re killing me. That doesn’t mean those aren’t good artists. But they don’t play guitar. They sample and they talk. Not even sing.”

In the new interview with Rolling Stone, Simmons also predicts the end of Rap.

"Rap will die," he says. "Next year, 10 years from now, at some point, and then something else will come along. And all that is good and healthy.

"I don't have the cultural background to appreciate being a gangster," Simmons adds elsewhere in the interview. "Of course that's not what it's all about, but that's where it comes from. That's the heart and soul of it. It came from the streets."
This ? is tripping yo

Comments

• Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Rock dudes have been hating on rap for forever. They are mad because their genre is almost dead.

That said, I do understand why they have a problem with Rap acts being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It kinda waters down the meaning when everyone gets let in.

I dont agree with all of what he's saying but I understand that part of it. For the most part, I think he's downlow racist and kind of an idiot but I too am waiting for rap to die because this ? sucks now... hate if u wanna I dont give a ? .
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always knew Kiss was ? but this ? took it to another level...
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He has a point to a degree if he was speaking on the current era of rap music but he’s also subliminally coming off as racist/prejudice at the same time. He's seems bitter.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not surprising. He came out in support of Donald Sterling and Mel Gibson making racist rants...

"Everybody does it." He says.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rock dudes have been hating on rap for forever. They are mad because their genre is almost dead.

That said, I do understand why they have a problem with Rap acts being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It kinda waters down the meaning when everyone gets let in.

Almost dead?
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

Almost dead?

Most of the Rock acts are in their 60's and 70's (age) that people care about .Rock for the most part is pretty much dead in the mainstream.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? KISS!

Dude is a ? . It wont die, the music will live forever and there will always be a fan base. There are still blues musicians and blues fans that support those musicians it just isnt as popular as it was back in the 30s 40s and 50's. Hip Hop has probably reached its highest point and is declining but there will always be hip hop music. The new generation will probably create some new form of music that the airwaves will promote the ? out of and all of us will be ? about how wack it is like most of our parents did about hip hop.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    He still salty it took forever for KISS to be in the RNRHOF. There are still alot of people who don't think they should be in.

I've heard that rap/hip-hop shouldn't be in the RNRHOF but they are putting in selective rap groups/artists. Its not an extensive or even annual thing.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ thinking rap should be dead cuz u dont like whats on the radio, kys.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kiss an overrated ass doink the clown ass band too btw, a lot of those classic rock era bands were/are

van halen>>
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Turfaholic wrote: »

Almost dead?

Most of the Rock acts are in their 60's and 70's (age) that people care about .Rock for the most part is pretty much dead in the mainstream.

Maybe now would be a good time to take our ? back & revive it lol
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kiss an overrated ass doink the clown ass band too btw, a lot of those classic rock era bands were/are

van halen>>

Bon Jovi is dope too. I like both groups more than wack ass KISS.
  • Cocoa_Butter
    Cocoa_Butter Members Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    270crownst wrote: »

"I don't have the cultural background to appreciate being a gangster," Simmons adds elsewhere in the interview. "Of course that's not what it's all about, but that's where it comes from. That's the heart and soul of it. It came from the streets."

Ooooohwee. This cac really thought he was slick throwing this ? in there.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with putting rap groups in the RARHOF we need a Rap/R&B Hall of fame