The Official World Politics Thread - All Breaking News here.

Options

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    But I'd hedge my bets some public schools would close or turn private to avoid being free.
    well, they won't be FREE. they'll be free to the students, but someone is going to pay for it. nothing is FREE. so their spending and/or costs likely won't go down if the government is footing the bill.

• (ob)Scene
    (ob)Scene Members Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Seems to me Sanders only does well in predominantly white states. I feel that after the next small states or caucuses he wins the media is gonna try and make it look like they're "equal". As if Hillary isn't 500-600 delegates shy of winning the nomination.

Like I've told you a million times. The "super delegates" don't vote until after all of the primaries and caucuses have gone. If they're even or close to it come time for them to vote they won't all vote in line with their earlier pledge. If Sanders sweeps today it's 1257 - 1039 as the pro-Hillary CNN has been stating on air all day today.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bernie is not winning the nomination
  • tupacfan12
    tupacfan12 Members Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The super delegates are not gonna jump to Bernie cause he won another round of white states like Washington, Idaho, and Alaska sorry. I respect the fact that Sanders supporters are holding on hope but....the delusion is real.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    Lmao is it funny to anyone else that the guy with the most posts in here is a Canadian lol

A confused Canadian at that..I'm slick gonna have to put dude on ignore until election season over

"Trillary" ? outta here
  • (ob)Scene
    Options
    Only on the IC will ? take the numbers, flip em and denounce Trillary, then in the very same breadth try and say that Sanders is ahead LOOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOL

Yall ? man !!!! I'm looking up AVIs for you as I type. Best believe I'm going to have fun with this one !!!!!!

Excuse me, but you're the person that's counting votes that have yet to *clears throat* actually vote. And my ? please point out where I said Sanders is ahead?

You're trying to paint me as irrational but making yourself look irrational in the process b/c my words are right there for everyone to see.
  • (ob)Scene
    Options
    tupacfan12 wrote: »
    The super delegates are not gonna jump to Bernie cause he won another round of white states like Washington, Idaho, and Alaska sorry. I respect the fact that Sanders supporters are holding on hope but....the delusion is real.

No one said they flip now. Only way they flip is if Sanders is ahead after California votes on the final day of primaries. They're not going to all vote Hillary if she's tied or behind. If it's tied or close the delegates will split but likely lean towards Hillary. If he winds up with a 50+ delegate lead he'll get enough to give him the slight victory.
  • (ob)Scene
    Options
    Some of you are so lucky Hillary did the improbable and pulled out all 5 of the March 15 states because if Ohio and one other went to Bernie he'd be tied or ahead right now and you'd all be feeling foolish.

Not to mention the amateurs that said Sanders should have dropped out after Super Tuesday, not giving attention to the fact that all of the heavy pro-Hillary states were the first states to vote.
  • Stiff
    Options
    In a Trump vs Clinton general..i'm SERIOUSLY considering voting for Trump. The Republican party as we know it won't survive a Trump presidency and it's time for that party to die. Also he'll bring overt racism back in-style and I think Black people handle that better...get people woke. Covert racism been kicking Black people's ass.

I'm in Georgia so it's gonna go red anyway.
  • SuperSoaker
    SuperSoaker Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hilary is like we give Bernie his props but that's where it stops. Honestly you do kinda sound irrational when you use words like "improbable." Like you discredit her wins and big up his. You can't change the fact that she swept those states, ? your what ifs. What if Michigan went her way cuz she she gave a better answer on trade in the debate.

Honestly I see it as the democrats have two great candidates and both of them would make great presidents. I didn't even vote in my states primary cuz I couldn't decide between both. Your going blow your ? ? when Bernie stumps for Hilary In the general. Lolol
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    In a Trump vs Clinton general..i'm SERIOUSLY considering voting for Trump. The Republican party as we know it won't survive a Trump presidency and it's time for that party to die. Also he'll bring overt racism back in-style and I think Black people handle that better...get people woke. Covert racism been kicking Black people's ass.

You been watching my post bro
  • (ob)Scene
    Options
    Hilary is like we give Bernie his props but that's where it stops. Honestly you do kinda sound irrational when you use words like "improbable." Like you discredit her wins and big up his. You can't change the fact that she swept those states, ? your what ifs. What if Michigan went her way cuz she she gave a better answer on trade in the debate.

Honestly I see it as the democrats have two great candidates and both of them would make great presidents. I didn't even vote in my states primary cuz I couldn't decide between both. Your going blow your ? ? when Bernie stumps for Hilary In the general. Lolol

First off all... the improbable comment was clearly outside of the point I was making.
    Second of all... Hillary winning all 5 March 15 states was improbable. Because you ? was even in this thread beforehand not thinking that ? would happen so let's not play revisionist.

And I wasn't saying what if Bernie won those states as part of my rebuttal, please don't muddy my statement because the points I made were very clear.

I won't blow my ? either because I've said a million times in here that I expect Hillary to win. You Hillary dudes love dealing in hyperbole.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do we keep bringing Dukakis up?

Trump is not George H. and Sanders--although his chances to win are slim--will not lose democratic support in the general with Trump or Cruz on the other side of the aisle.

• Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dont waste your vote but i am with you only if we did this in mass ensure that they get what they wont.. hell .. we have been through worse.
  • Stiff
    Options
    Sanders is not going to win Cali Bwahahahahahhahaha and looooollloolololol @ "if Ohio went to Bernie we'd be tied" you ? maaaannn loooolllloooolllllloooolllllloooolllll. As if Trillary wasn't killing him prior on all fronts. And now we're "amateurs" because Sanders should drop out so she can prepare for Trump because Trillary Clinton has her foot on his neck and from here he can only get pyrrhic victories AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAA !!!!

Same question goes that yall seem to avoid and dance around - "why do you think the majority of the democrats are so heavily on her side and not Sanders ??" And it's not because "well there's no one else to vote for!" No one wants to raise an eyebrow as to why they're not really supporting the man at all.

I'm saying tho..does "trill" mean something different in Canada? Are you just calling her "Trillary" because "trill" rhymes with "hill"? Like can you name 5 "trill" things about her?

• Stiff
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

You been watching my post bro

Nah not even..great minds i suppose
  • (ob)Scene
    Options
    Sanders is not going to win Cali Bwahahahahahhahaha and looooollloolololol @ "if Ohio went to Bernie we'd be tied" you ? maaaannn loooolllloooolllllloooolllllloooolllll. As if Trillary wasn't killing him prior on all fronts. And now we're "amateurs" because Sanders should drop out so she can prepare for Trump because Trillary Clinton has her foot on his neck and from here he can only get pyrrhic victories AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAA !!!!

Same question goes that yall seem to avoid and dance around - "why do you think the majority of the democrats are so heavily on her side and not Sanders ??" And it's not because "well there's no one else to vote for!" No one wants to raise an eyebrow as to why they're not really supporting the man at all.

Alright, it's getting to the point where we're incapable of having a civil discussion because your comprehension has gone completely out the window. I said, "if Sanders is ahead after California votes on the last day..." Meaning if Sanders is ahead after all the voting is completed (Cali is the last state to vote).

And the answer to why are they so heavily on her side is the same reason why they were so heavily on her side against Obama until the end. She's the favorite & it serves their careers better to do so as long as that's the case. Nobody anywhere believes Hillary got those pledges based on some type of principled stand. I hope you aren't playing yourself by insinuating that.
  • (ob)Scene
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »

Alright, it's getting to the point where we're incapable of having a civil discussion because your comprehension has gone completely out the window. I said, "if Sanders is ahead after California votes on the last day..." Meaning if Sanders is ahead after all the voting is completed (Cali is the last state to vote).

And the answer to why are they so heavily on her side is the same reason why they were so heavily on her side against Obama until the end. She's the favorite & it serves their careers better to do so as long as that's the case. Nobody anywhere believes Hillary got those pledges based on some type of principled stand. I hope you aren't playing yourself by insinuating that.

Implications implications implications out the ass. It has nothing to do now with the fact that Bernie Sanders disses the democrats calling them the establishment ? It has nothing to do with the fact that he's against corporate America for no good reason at all ?? It has nothing to do with the fact that Sanders' plans have many loopholes disastrous for the economy or misleading ? Why can't yall give Hillary any props that she's a good politician, she's running a good campaign, has a solid base within and outside her party and to root out the Republicans and has a strong plan for the economy ? Yeah we can't have a civil discussion if y'all wont give her any props. As if to imply ppl are "stupid" because they see through Sanders and feel Hillary is someone more suited to lead the country and carries a deeper symbolic and historical message if she wins (first female president). But this is about yall dislike for a woman and not that she can actually run the country well. None of yall have yet to objectively point out the flaws in your deities Sanders policies we pointed out earlier yall always wanna change the subject or say "well Hillary...". You say we playing ourselves when 2 pages ago yall were trying to say Sanders had no flaws and was an angel. These people are politicians they play a game for votes and quid pro quo for favours.

Yall are implying that Sanders can win, how when Hillary is just a few hundred votes shy of clinching the nomination and Sanders would literally have to win every single stage from here on out at no less than 60% (John King's words) to win LOOOOOLLLOOLOLOLOL.

You have lost your mind entirely. For the 500th ? time no one said Sanders is perfect, I said as much a few pages ago. You just aren't going to get me to say Clinton is better for MY country because I don't believe she is. Better politician =/= better candidate. For every hole you want me to poke in Sanders, Hillary has a dozen that you refuse to poke in her. And your statement that she's a few hundred votes shy of clinching is a fallacy because the Super Delegates HAVENT voted yet. Are you aware that this is the first democratic primary where the media is actually posting the super delegate numbers in the daily totals? Have you asked yourself why that is the case?
    Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting’s Jim Naureckas has called attention to the fact that the Times used to report delegate counts as if they were only a result of “voters who mattered.” Naureckas wrote, “The unpledged superdelegates can only indicate who they intend to vote for, which is not necessarily who they will actually vote for; they can and in the past have changed their minds. Counting them the same as pledged delegates is a bit like counting delegates from states that haven’t voted yet because voters in those states tell pollsters they intend to vote for one candidate or the other. They may or may not feel differently when the time comes.”

In 2008, when Clinton ran against then-Senator Barack Obama, the Times treated the number of pledged delegates as the accurate and current delegate count in the race. The Times counted “only delegates that have been officially selected and are bound by their preferences.”

“The way the media has been reporting this is incorrect,” DNC chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz said on MSNBC on February 27. “There aren’t pledged delegates, i.e. super delegates, earned at any of these primary or caucus contests. Those unpledged delegates are elected officials, party leaders, people who have spent years and years in the Democratic Party. Members of Congress, our DNC members are super delegates. And they have the ability to decide who they choose to support at the convention at any point.”

“They’re really free to decide all the way up until July,” Wasserman Schultz added. She later added that combining “super delegates” with “pledged delegates” from primaries or caucuses at each phase of the contest does not provide an “accurate picture” of how this works.
  • Stiff
    Options

I'm saying tho..does "trill" mean something different in Canada? Are you just calling her "Trillary" because "trill" rhymes with "hill"? Like can you name 5 "trill" things about her?

-_-* ......

I can't take you seriously when 5 months ago you made a thread on why you were gonna vote for Donald Trump and how he was the future and someone you believed in. You were dead ass debating that ? for 5 straight pages. Not a bright and shining moment for you, what you think we forgot !? Give me a moment to up the thread.

Btw I think it's trill that a woman could overcome the odds to be a viable and likely choice for president of the united states when a year earlier she was WASHED. I think it's trill she represents for her gender. I think it's trill the most powerful woman in the world is going to be a woman. I think it's trill she has a plan to regulate hedge funds and shadow banking (inb4 well a president should fight corporate !! SMMFH a president has to create balance for everyone and work with everyone). I think it's trill she strategically crafted her position and is why she's dominating the race, I think it's trill for someone to go through what she went through with Bill and come this far is amazing.

You guys hate Trillary because she's a woman and a thoroughbred politician, point blank, through and through. You want Sanders to win because you hate what it represents if Trillary Clinton wins. You guys hate that ? . Accept that the head of your country is going to be a woman.

*drops mic*

Whoa whoa whoa

Let me up that thread for you. You're legitimately confused.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/535591/so-i-was-watching-donald-trumps-press-conference-and-it-hit-me/p1
    So I Was Watching Donald Trump's Press Conference and it hit Me

Im pretty sure id vote for him before hilliary clinton..lol can't even deny dude keeps it real

So from that you get me saying "he's the future and somebody I believe in" ? Lol ok. No.

Nobody hates "Trillary" because she's a woman. We dislike her and distrust her because she represents politics at its worse. She is unprincipled and changes her positions based on which way the tide goes. She'll say something today and if she feels like the exact opposite position is more likely to get her elected tomorrow then that will be her position. She's the most transparently phony politician in recent memory. She has to be prodded aggressively to acknowledge Black issues but expects our vote unconditionally.

And you've been raving this whole thread about how she's such a great politician and has run a great campaign and that's simply untrue. She has name recognition. That's the only reason she's a factor at all. Because of her husband. Her negatives are the highest in the history of a democratic party front runner. There is no enthusiasm behind her or her campaign. She started off with a 50(!) point lead in the polls and let a no-name outsider come within the margin of error of her( just like she did in 2008). If her last name wasn't Clinton she would be a nobody. She's no Elizabeth Warren (an ACTUAL woman of principal that I WOULD vote for to lead the country)

So @Stiff tell us about your political views in summary as to why Trump in your words "he's real" and "someone who will do more to change the country at this point" and why you'd "vote for him because he's speaking to me about how I feel" ? Could you do it for those of us who don't want to read 8 pages of ignorance ?

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/535591/so-i-was-watching-donald-trumps-press-conference-and-it-hit-me/p1

*puts foot up on table and leans back in reclining chair and lights cigar*

And the bolded you pulled out your ass. LOL I would love for anybody to find me saying that Trump is "speaking to me about how I feel"

My position on Trump is the same. He's real in that he's overtly racist..instead of "dog whistle" politics as usual. And as I've said in this thread I would absolutely still vote for Trump over Hillary if given a choice. You resorting to crazy straw man's and mischaracterizations...kinda thought you were better than that but you are from DrakeLand so what else to expect.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Who Is Ted Cruz?
    Ross Douthat

ENOUGH, for one week at least, about the strange victories of Donald Trump. Let’s talk about the mysteries of his last real competitor, Ted Cruz.

On the surface, Cruz is a straightforward figure: The ideological zealot, the politician-as-activist, the unbending embodiment of True Conservatism. He’s the scourge of Obamacare, the bane of the G.O.P. establishment, the evangelical moralist with a flat-tax plan and a Reagan quote for every occasion. If Trump has dynamited Republican orthodoxy and tapped out nasty tweets from the rubble, Cruz has kept pace by promising to rebuild that same orthodoxy stronger than before.

In this framing, Cruz is basically Barry Goldwater come again, an ideological crusader who might still grab his party’s nomination, but whose general election prospects are limited by his own extremism.

I’ve used this framing myself, and it might be the best way to approach a Hillary-Cruz race. But it also seems inadequate to understanding Cruz’s strange ascent.

Start at the intuitive level. Despite what you may have heard, true belief is pretty common among politicians. Listen to Rand Paul talk about liberty or Marco Rubio dilate on the promise of America; watch Bernie Sanders rail against inequality or President Obama defend technocratic liberalism. They all radiate sincerity. Watch a Goldwater speech: you can tell the man believed it.

With Cruz, though, even the most fervent peroration always feels like a debater’s patter, an advocate’s brief — compelling enough on the merits, but more of a command performance than a window into deep conviction.

This doesn’t mean that Cruz’s conservatism isn’t sincere. But the fact that he seems so much like an actor hitting his marks fits with the story of how he became Mr. True Conservative Outsider in the first place. Basically, he spent years trying to make it in Washington on the insider’s track, and hit a wall because too many of the insiders didn’t like him — because his ambition was too naked, his climber’s zeal too palpable. So he deliberately switched factions, turning the establishment’s personal disdain into a political asset, and taking his Ivy League talents to the Tea Party instead.

Then once installed as a leader of the counterestablishment, he walked a line that looks, again, far more calculated than most conviction politicians. While his fellow Tea Party senators, from Paul to Rubio to Utah’s Mike Lee, built detailed policy portfolios that fit their interests and inclinations, Cruz never seemed to take a step on any contentious issue without gaming it out 17 moves ahead.

His push for the Obamacare shutdown, and the bill of goods he sold the party’s base, was a particularly remarkably exercise in self-serving political cynicism. But on many fronts — Edward Snowden, trade policy, immigration, the fate of Middle Eastern Christians — Cruz has proceeded with several fingers in the wind; every time the conservative mood has shifted even a little, he’s shifted quickly too.

The same pattern has prevailed in the presidential campaign, in his complicated relationship to Trump — obsequious at first, cynically imitative on issues where Trump’s demagogy has worked, and finally self-righteous and dudgeon-filled now that the name-calling and scandal-mongering have been turned against his reputation and his family.

Throughout this rise, Cruz has often seemed less like Goldwater than like American conservatism’s own Kenneth Widmerpool, the most memorable character in the English novelist Anthony Powell’s series, “A Dance to the Music of Time.”

A dogged, charmless, unembarrassed striver, Widmerpool begins Powell’s novels as a figure of mockery for his upper-class schoolmates. But over the course of the books he ascends past them — to power, influence, a peerage — through a mix of ruthless effort, ideological flexibility, and calculated kissing-up.

Enduring all manner of humiliations, bouncing back from every setback, tacking right and left with the times, he embodies the triumph of raw ambition over aristocratic rules of order. “Widmerpool,” the narrator realizes at last, sounding like a baffled, Cruz-hating Republican senator today, “once so derided by all of us, had in some mysterious manner become a person of authority.”

This is not exactly a flattering comparison. But the American reader, less enamored of a fated aristocratic order, may find aspects of Widmerpool’s character curiously sympathetic. And some of that strange sympathy could be extended to Cruz.

Unloved, unattractive, a Simpsons-quoting nerd still chasing the teenage dream of world ? , the Texas senator has outworked, out-organized and outlasted the candidates who were supposed to beat him, from the blueblood to the ? .

His cynicism can be repellent, his message discipline exhausting, and his Reagan-vintage policy proposals induce a mild despair. But in the drama of this insane campaign, he has actually earned his position, and if his doggedness wins the Republican nomination on the second ballot it will be one of the most fascinating triumphs in recent political history.

Though it will also probably be short-lived. But if you think a little thing like losing a general election will dispose of Ted Cruz’s ambitions, you don’t know Ted Cruz.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/opinion/who-is-ted-cruz.html

Also read this
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/us/politics/donald-trump-transcript.html?action=click&contentCollection=N.Y. / Region&module=Trending&version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

im not a very voracious reader but ill read ? that piques my interest

I ? with the Atlantic
  • Stiff
    Options
    Really all it boils down to is this:

@Sion is a banker so he ardently supports Hillary. She's the candidate that best represents him and his interests. If I was a banker maybe I'd be more supportive of her to because she would be MY candidate.

Me I'm working/lower-middle class so I support Sanders. It's just that simple. He's the candidate that I feel represents my interests.
  • (ob)Scene
    Options
    You guys hate Trillary because she's a woman and a thoroughbred politician, point blank, through and through. You want Sanders to win because you hate what it represents if Trillary Clinton wins. You guys hate that ? . Accept that the head of your country is going to be a woman.

*drops mic*

Sion, do you know anything about the current climate of American politics?

Most Sanders supporters would have preferred Elizabeth Warren for president over Bernie & she'd be destroying Hillary right now if she had decided to run for office. Get lost with the sexist nonsense you're talking.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

-_-* ......

I can't take you seriously when 5 months ago you made a thread on why you were gonna vote for Donald Trump and how he was the future and someone you believed in. You were dead ass debating that ? for 5 straight pages. Not a bright and shining moment for you, what you think we forgot !? Give me a moment to up the thread.

Btw I think it's trill that a woman could overcome the odds to be a viable and likely choice for president of the united states when a year earlier she was WASHED. I think it's trill she represents for her gender. I think it's trill the most powerful woman in the world is going to be a woman. I think it's trill she has a plan to regulate hedge funds and shadow banking (inb4 well a president should fight corporate !! SMMFH a president has to create balance for everyone and work with everyone). I think it's trill she strategically crafted her position and is why she's dominating the race, I think it's trill for someone to go through what she went through with Bill and come this far is amazing.

*drops mic*

That might be why Zombie hates Hillary.