Is the black community guilty of devaluing black lives based on gender and sexuality?

Options
A Talented One
A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
I am reading a New Yorker story about Black Lives Matter, and was struck by some passages.

I'm referring to these:
The names of Grant, Martin, and Garner—who died in 2014, after being put in a choke hold by police on Staten Island—are now part of the canon of the wrongfully dead. The point of Trans Liberation Tuesday was to draw attention to the fact that there are others, such as Ashton O’Hara and Amber Monroe, black trans people who were killed just weeks apart in Detroit last year, whose names may not be known to the public but who are no less emblematic of a broader social concern. According to a report by the Human Rights Campaign, between 2013 and 2015 there were fifty-three known murders of transgender people; thirty-nine of the victims were African-American.

...Yet, over all, her comments were more concerned with the internal dynamics of race. For Garza, the assurance that black lives matter is as much a reminder directed at black people as it is a revelation aimed at whites. The message of Trans Liberation Tuesday was that, as society at large has devalued black lives, the African-American community is guilty of devaluing lives based on gender and sexuality.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/03/14/where-is-black-lives-matter-headed

Comments

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u know why i did it!
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We're they unjustly killed by law enforcement? If not then it's a completly different situation. ? get killed everyday b and everybody don't get recognized
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • A Talented One
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    We're they unjustly killed by law enforcement? If not then it's a completly different situation. ? get killed everyday b and everybody don't get recognized

It's a different situation. I agree. But it's troubling that the vast majority of trans people who are killed (presumably by other blacks) were blacks. And I'm assuming that they were killed because they are trans. That makes their killings different from other killings.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    But what about black on black crime?
  • The_Jackal
    Options

It's a different situation. I agree. But it's troubling that the vast majority of trans people who are killed (presumably by other blacks) were blacks. And I'm assuming that they were killed because they are trans. That makes their killings different from other killings.

Shesh that's a pretty damn astounding conclusion to come to without any evidence to back that it. Also the presumption that they were killed by other blacks is another forgone conclusion to simple come to.
  • A Talented One
    Options

Shesh that's a pretty damn astounding conclusion to come to without any evidence to back that it. Also the presumption that they were killed by other blacks is another forgone conclusion to simple come to.

Why would they lump in trans people killed because they are trans with trans who were, say, robbery-gone-wrong victims? I believe they are citing hate crimes.

Most blacks who are killed are killed by other blacks, just as most whites who are killed are killed by other whites.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No. What does this have to do with BLM ?

Another person mixing up the movements.

There are organizations and movements dedicated to LGBT treatment.

It's more likely that this topic is devaluing BLM - which is about cops killing Black people with impunity.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Why would they lump in trans people killed because they are trans with trans who were, say, robbery-gone-wrong victims? I believe they are citing hate crimes.

Most blacks who are killed are killed by other blacks, just as most whites who are killed are killed by other whites.

Because it's a fleshly headline that garners clicks and views on there website. As far as blacks being killed by blacks that true but you are specifically stating that they were all kind only because they were trans which is a ridiculous conclusion
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I CARE very little about the problems of ? no matter their race and definitely not trying to protest for anything even remotely having to do with pro ? .
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BLM doesn't care about black lives they can't publicize. if white folks hand picked what black people matter folks would lose their minds.

That said, I live in Detroit and heard nothing about dead trannies and still...dont really care.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trannies ride with ? rights.If you ? you loose your colour.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    are they killin trannies for being trannies or or killin trannies for gettin got by trannies?

yCIAqZL.png

My cousin got got and pulled over in traffic and fought that ? on the 105 freeway... Swear to ? .

I went and picked him up from the 77th it took everything in me to not laugh in his face when he told me the story
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Divide and conquer tactics. smh

It's like that ? ''All lives matter" nonsense created by white folks to divert from historical evidence about institutional racism against black males.

No disrespect to the LGBT community and what not, but there is 400 years of history of racism and the emasculation of black males vs whites. Don't compare or try to tag your struggles on the backs of us.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    So what's their point?
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    *sigh* because ? have not been apart of the BLM movement....yall ? me
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Divide and conquer tactics. smh

It's like that ? ''All lives matter" nonsense created by white folks to divert from historical evidence about institutional racism against black males.

No disrespect to the LGBT community and what not, but there is 400 years of history of racism and the emasculation of black males vs whites. Don't compare or try to tag your struggles on the backs of us.

Agreed.....

But they will tag they struggle along w/ ours. They been doing it and if not consequences. I forgot where I got it from, but I think it was Bayard Rustin who helped label the Black Panthers as "dangerous" when they didn't play along w/ him. Brother Umar dropped very similar knowledge about this too...
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody knows blm is an lgbt movement painted black, ? freaks just want black people to catch the strays for their ?
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I imagine most tranies get killed or maimed for trying to past as Women. Some dudes get fooled out here and cannot take humiulation of being with a man when they straight. It's no black on black problem it's keep it 100 or face the consequences.
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To me, this whole super pro trans movement, its just like the anti-bullying one a few years ago. Just bloggers and (journalists) trying to stir up views with a controversial topic.
    I read something a little while back (think it was on gawker) about how no one is talking about the (epidemic) of trans murders. Then this ? has the nerve to say like, 20 something murders happened last year of trans people across the U.S. Granted 1 murder is too many, but thats not even close to the number of young black males killed by police.
    No matter what bad thing happens to blacks in this country, its always someone quick to try and rope in another group of people, then say they have it worse, or just as bad. But more often than not, they dont have it as bad smh.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Elaborate please
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    jetlifebih wrote: »

Elaborate please

On what? That there have been ? ppl apart of the BLM movement?
  • A Talented One
    Options
    Some of the people intimately involved with the BLM movment, and from the very beginning, have also been involved with the LGBT movement. So I don't see how you can say that they are hijacking the movement or that it is comparable to white folks talking about "All lives matter."
  • A Talented One
    Options
    I imagine most tranies get killed or maimed for trying to past as Women. Some dudes get fooled out here and cannot take humiulation of being with a man when they straight. It's no black on black problem it's keep it 100 or face the consequences.

That's probably a big part of it.

Why don't you have as many white dudes killing white trans women for similar reasons?