Mobb Deep - Drop A Gem On 'Em

Options

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    moyo wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Another way to look at it was Hit Em Up was like the Pearl Harbor attack. It came out of nowhere and devastated Hawaii.

But in hindsight, the Pearl Harbor attack wasn't THAT devastating.

Ok bruh, whatever u say. U can try to downplay "Hit em up" all y'all want too, but that ? was monumental. I know for a fact that it bothered Prodigy n Biggie, & had a whole coast in its feelings. It's been 20 years & whole lot has changed but ya can't take away the history n the waves that rippled after that record first cane out. Good debate tho, I'm glad we could talk about this ? like grown men.

So was the Pearl Harbor attack.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Javon803 wrote: »
    Drop a gem on em came out just before pac died. Of course the song won't take off. Who would care about some hip hop beef at that point when dude just died

? hit me up took off the minute pac dropped it quit your caping smh

Caping? ? the only time I ever see you post to defend pacs honor, other than suck pac ? what else do you do on the IC?

Anyway, its not "caping" its true, what DJ or radio station is going to keep playing a diss record about someone that JUST died? especially a beloved rapper like pac with a the biggest ? ass fanbase that youre proving to be true? smh youre a ?
  • Javon803
    Javon803 Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Options
    Drop a gem on em came out just before pac died. Of course the song won't take off. Who would care about some hip hop beef at that point when dude just died

Remember how 50 cent diss towards Ja Rule picked up momentum as he went on? Well maybe Drop a gem would of did that but Pac died and it put a end to that kind of energy.

I don't see it and I like drop a gem on em actually but I don't see it having the same impact as hit me up and I been a mobb deep fan for years but to me they never been on pacs level
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Honestly, I always thought Big's Last freestyle on The Wake Up Show was the highlight of the beef. While the beef escalated from the Dogg Pound's trailer getting shot up, to 2Pac getting robbed at Quad City, to Pac thinking Who Shot Ya was about him, to Hit 'em Up to Drop A Gem On Em, I thought Big reciting those two verses from Long Kiss Goodnight and You're Nobody Til Somebody Kills You on the Wake Up Show was the grand finale of the beef. Those two verses were clearly subliminals about 2Pac. Everybody in the room was thinking the same thing whilee Big was spitting those verses. You can hear the reaction from the people in the room.

And I always thought those verses sounded better over the Hell On Earth beat than the Life After Death versions (Its interesting to note that Big was rapping over Mobb Deep's Hell On Earth Beat).

Long Kiss Goodnight

Uhh.. I'm flamin gats, aimin at, these ?
    maniacs, put my name in raps, what part the
    game is that? Like they hustle backwards
    I smoke Blackwoods and Dutchies, ya can't touch me
    Try to rush me, slugs go, touchy-touchy
    You're bleedin lovely, wit'chyo, spirit above me
    or beneath me, your whole life you live sneaky
    Now you rest eternally, sleepy, you burn when you creep me
    Rest where the worms and the weak be

My nine flies, baptize, rap guys
    With the Holy Ghost, I put holes in most
    You hold your toast shaky, slippin tryin to break me
    Look what you made me do, brains blew
    My team in the marine-blue, six Coupe
    Skied it out, weeded out, cleanin out -- the block
    for distances, givin long kisses ?

You're Nobody Til Somebody Kills You

? in my faction don't like askin questions
    Strictly gun testin, coke measurin
    Givin pleasure in the Benz-ito
    Hittin ? , spendin chips at Manny's
    Hope you creeps got receipts, my peeps get ? like cleats
    Run up in your crib, wrap you up in your Polo sheets
    Six up in your wig piece, ? decease
    MWA, may you rest in peace
    With my Sycamore style, more sicker than yours
    Four-four, and fifty-four draw
    as my pilot, steers my Leer, yes my dear
    ? 's official, only, the Feds I fear
    Here's a tissue, stop your blood clot cryin
    The kids, the dog, everybody dyin, no lyin
    So don't you get suspicious
    I'm Big Dangerous you're just a Lil Vicious
    As I leave my competition, respirator style
    Climb the ladder to success escalator style
    Hold y'all breath, I told y'all -- death
    controls y'all, Big don't fold y'all, uhh
    I spit phrases that'll thrill you
    You're nobody til somebody kills you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rYC0Ohqih4

I know this has been done a million times but that Wake Up Show Freestyle was a perfect way to go out. If you're gonna go out, go out with both guns blazing!!!
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »

Lmao @ THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE WINNING are you ? serious? Your hate for westcoast legendary music is that deep? BTW you forgot E 40 was making his mark, we had the Likwid Crew also, we Had Ice Cube and above the Law, underground dope cats likr Rass Kass and Dialated People's, Death Row was just at the for front but that's definately not all the west had.

And You're disqualified from the convo just attempting to slide corny ass Flex Hogan in there like he's ? wit somebody. What artist was killing those tape? Please dont come back and say Jeru the damager or somebody. Foh

So instead of buying All Eyes on me I shoulda Bought a Doo ? tape with Jeru, Chino Xl's one verse and maybe if Im lucky a lost Prodigy verse that ? claim was suppose to ? the west coast and some complimentary Sean Jean perfume.

No thanks bruh!! Keep ya mixtapes filled with nobodies and ya toilet water cologne, im good. We didn't need Doo ? we had Sway & king Tech Saturday nights at midnight.

Here's the thing, the mix tapes that were coming out in the mid 90s would have the tracks on All Eyes On Me before the album dropped. If All Eyes On Me was released on February 13, 1996, if you bought a mixtape at the end of January you'd have 3 or 4 songs from All Eyes On Me.

California was a hick town compared to New York. Mixtape DJs in New York were releasing West Coast Hip Hop faster than the West Coast labels. I remember walking down 125th st and seeing all the Mackevelli posthumous albums on CD-Rs.

My point is that the mixtape DJs in New York were getting material weeks, if not months, before it was officially released.

You guys are comparing an album like ? or All Eyes On Me to a mixtape (or maybe I'm the one making the comparison) but the mix tapes had the album cuts from ? and All Eyes On Me months prior to those albums release.

Here's a tape I remember bumping at the Northeastern University dorms in the winter of 1994, smoking blunts and building with the Gods;

Spring One - Doo ?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8i7i6xaz9f5x810/Doo+? +-+Spring+1.rar

You've gone stark raving mad if you don't think this tape is better than anything Death Row ever released.

tumblr_inline_nu80kh3L2o1si78ro_500.jpg

you have a lot of hip-hop knowledge 5g, but to call CA a "hick-town" is just dumb east coast-bias. L.A. is the industry capitol and Cali had hip-hop on smash in the 90s to now. Not just DR. Yes NYC had a mix-tape scene culture but that ? was LOCAL until 50 and the internet blew that up in the 2000s. fall back.
  • smp4life
    Options
    I don't give a damn how many mix tapes y'all dropped didn't none of that ? bang as hard as any album Death row dropped in the 90's. Regardless to how y'all wanna re-write history, Drop a gem on em and whatever mixtape y'all dropped didn't have the global and cultural impact that Hit em up or anything that Pac did in 1996. Point blank period.

Yeah but you guys (the other 47 states) didn't even know what was going on in the Tri-State. And people in the Tri-State didn't know or care what was coming out on Death Row or the other 47 states.

You can rep your set, throw up gang signs and crip walk all you want, but cats in New York didn't care about the West Coast. If ya'll dropped something hot it would make a mixtape, otherwise the Tri-state had its own culture and buying West Coast rap albums wasn't something that we did.

That's the ether that burns so slow; The fact that the New York didn't care about the West Coast. Its not like a New York ? would buy a West Coast album and not like it, its more like a New York ? would pick up a copy of The Source and see some West Coast cat with a perm and think 'what the ? ?' The West wanted to go back and forth and make diss records while New York rappers had their own culture that the West didn't even know about. A New York ? would go to 125th st and cop some mix tapes while everybody in the other states are waiting in line at Sam Goody or Tower Records on a Monday night waiting for 12:01am to be the first person to buy a retail album.

^^^ @ the bolded. If you didn't catch that then you weren't there.

No one is arguing that NYC is on NYC's ? . West Side Connection spoke on that on their Bow Down album and plenty of west coast artists got mad when they got spins all over the country except for NYC. West coast got love for east coast music too so it stings even more so. What's your point? Just cuz NYC is listening to their little mixtapes that NO ONE ELSE in the country is listening to doesn't mean they are winning.
  • smp4life
    Options
    I'm not even from the west, I'm from the south. But that's that arrogant ? attitude that makes people say ? New York. Trust me, as much as y'all didn't care about anything coming from the other 47 states, we weren't concerned about ? coming from New York. From our vantage point Mobb deep and the rest of the ? from NY got sonned during that ? , and all the mixtapes and unreleased erased mythical verses won't change our minds on that.

@ the bolded. But from New York's vantage point mixtape DJs were dropping freestyles and exclusive material 2 months before it was officially released to the radio, video and retail channels. There's stuff on those mix tapes that to this day have never been officially released (e.g. Doo ? 's 95 Live part 1 and part 2 mix tapes)

Once you put retail sales in the equation then it may have appeared as though Death Row was outselling the best New York artists, until Bad Boy sold 30 million units in 1997 alone;
    • Can’t Nobody Hold Me Down (single) – Puff Daddy & Ma$e 4X Platinum
    • Hypnotize (single) – Notorious B.I.G. – Platinum
    • I’ll Be Missing You (single) – Puff Daddy & The Family – 3X Platinum
    • Its All About The Benjamins (single) – Puff Daddy & The Family - Platinum
    • Been Around The World (single) – Puff Daddy & The Family– 2X Platinum
    • Life After Death (album) – Notorious B.I.G. 10X Platinum
    • No Way Out (album) – Puff Daddy & The Family – 7X Platinum
    • Harlem World (album) – Ma$e – 4X Platinum

pffft ? outta here with singles dude. DR dropped classic albums and a double album.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    smp4life wrote: »
    I don't give a damn how many mix tapes y'all dropped didn't none of that ? bang as hard as any album Death row dropped in the 90's. Regardless to how y'all wanna re-write history, Drop a gem on em and whatever mixtape y'all dropped didn't have the global and cultural impact that Hit em up or anything that Pac did in 1996. Point blank period.

Yeah but you guys (the other 47 states) didn't even know what was going on in the Tri-State. And people in the Tri-State didn't know or care what was coming out on Death Row or the other 47 states.

You can rep your set, throw up gang signs and crip walk all you want, but cats in New York didn't care about the West Coast. If ya'll dropped something hot it would make a mixtape, otherwise the Tri-state had its own culture and buying West Coast rap albums wasn't something that we did.

That's the ether that burns so slow; The fact that the New York didn't care about the West Coast. Its not like a New York ? would buy a West Coast album and not like it, its more like a New York ? would pick up a copy of The Source and see some West Coast cat with a perm and think 'what the ? ?' The West wanted to go back and forth and make diss records while New York rappers had their own culture that the West didn't even know about. A New York ? would go to 125th st and cop some mix tapes while everybody in the other states are waiting in line at Sam Goody or Tower Records on a Monday night waiting for 12:01am to be the first person to buy a retail album.

Just cuz NYC is listening to their little mixtapes that NO ONE ELSE in the country is listening to doesn't mean they are winning.

Told you ? to stop speaking for the whole country, this was just proven to not be true on the page before this of this thread

try again
  • smp4life
    Options
    Death Row had the rap game shook. They disrespected left and right and who from the east had the nerve to diss and name names? Tim Dog, that's it.

Death Row artist got their trailer shot up and didn't respond. My bad, they kick buildings down on green screen.

Um, what you want them to do? Randomly spray up times square? I don't think it was known who shot at them.
  • smp4life
    Options
    P on Pac's ? still.

That's Pac on the hook right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUjIboq8LCw
  • Javon803
    Options

Caping? ? the only time I ever see you post to defend pacs honor, other than suck pac ? what else do you do on the IC?

Anyway, its not "caping" its true, what DJ or radio station is going to keep playing a diss record about someone that JUST died? especially a beloved rapper like pac with a the biggest ? ass fanbase that youre proving to be true? smh youre a ?

? it's true in your delusional ass mind smh and I do post in other post on here just not all the time I don't have time to be on the ic all day oh so it's a ? fan base when it ain't sucking New York ? ? and telling the truth huh? But keep telling yourself those lies so you can believe them smh
  • 5 Grand
    Options

you have a lot of hip-hop knowledge 5g, but to call CA a "hick-town" is just dumb east coast-bias. L.A. is the industry capitol and Cali had hip-hop on smash in the 90s to now. Not just DR. Yes NYC had a mix-tape scene culture but that ? was LOCAL until 50 and the internet blew that up in the 2000s. fall back.

First of all, you claim that Cali had "hip-hop on smash in the 90s to now". Once again this is a clear case of regionalism. Because from 1996-2016 there have been only 5 West Coast albums to get any run on the East Coast and I can name them;

1. All Eyes On Me,
    2. The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory
    3. Chronic 2001
    4. The Documentary
    5. Good Kidd Maad City

Second of all, the mixtape scene in New York wasn't that local because I was getting them in Boston and ANYBODY that went to a HBCU was exposed to mix tapes from New York. If you read the Doo ? interview I posted, even Angie Martinez (Hot 97 radio personality) said she had a 2Pac interview where he had taken offense to something Q Tip said on one of Doo ? 's mix tapes. (Now that I think about it, that might have had something to do with The Source Awards fiasco)
  • smp4life
    Options
    Another way to look at it was Hit Em Up was like the Pearl Harbor attack. It came out of nowhere and devastated Hawaii.

But in hindsight, the Pearl Harbor attack wasn't THAT devastating.

C'mon brah.

Casualties and losses
    2 battleships totally lost
    2 battleships sunk and recovered
    3 battleships damaged
    1 battleship grounded
    2 other ships sunk
    3 cruisers damaged
    3 destroyers damaged
    3 other ships damaged
    188 aircraft destroyed
    159 aircraft damaged
    2,403 killed
    1,178 wounded
    4 midget submarines sunk
    1 midget submarine grounded
    29 aircraft destroyed
    64 killed
    1 captured
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    edited March 2016
    Options

so it's a ? fan base when it ain't sucking New York ? ?

No kid dont overthink, its a ? ass fanbase just cause your ? ass is in it and other ? of your breed. FACTS
  • Javon803
    Options

No kid dont overthink, its a ? ass fanbase just cause your ? ass is in it. FACTS

Quit your ? ? ? ? lol go back to sucking mobb deeps ? and living in fantasy land smh
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    edited March 2016
    Options

No kid dont overthink, its a ? ass fanbase just cause your ? ass is in it. FACTS

Quit your ? ? ? ? lol go back to sucking mobb deeps ? and living in fantasy land smh

I dont speak your ? boy language so leave out the feelings on your next reply so ill understand

thanks in advance
  • Javon803
    Options

Just cuz NYC is listening to their little mixtapes that NO ONE ELSE in the country is listening to doesn't mean they are winning.

Told you ? to stop speaking for the whole country, this was just proven to not be true on the page before this of this thread

try again

It's true you hoe ass ? just because two people from other places was ? with it doesn't mean most were so no the rest of majority of the country was not sucking ny ? like you want so bad to believe lol ? had they own music and cultures in others places
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options

try again

It's true you hoe ass ? just because two people from other places was ? with it doesn't mean most were so no the rest of majority of the country was not sucking ny ? like you want so bad to believe lol ? had they own music and cultures in others places

huh?????????????
  • smp4life
    Options

First of all, you claim that Cali had "hip-hop on smash in the 90s to now". Once again this is a clear case of regionalism. Because from 1996-2016 there have been only 5 West Coast albums to get any run on the East Coast and I can name them;

1. All Eyes On Me,
    3. Chronic 2001
    4. The Documentary
    5. Good Kidd Maad City

Second of all, the mixtape scene in New York wasn't that local because I was getting them in Boston and ANYBODY that went to a HBCU was exposed to mix tapes from New York. If you read the Doo ? interview I posted, even Angie Martinez (Hot 97 radio personality) said she had a 2Pac interview where he had taken offense to something Q Tip said on one of Doo ? 's mix tapes. (Now that I think about it, that might have had something to do with The Source Awards fiasco)

1st DR having hip-hop on smash nationally isn't mutually exclusive. Obviously NYC will always have good music poppin. But that list above is laughable. I wasn't in NYC at the time so I'll take your word for it but I feel sorry for yall that you missed all those classic records like The Chronic (which biggie stated he was influenced by), ? , Ice Cube's whole discography, Streetz iz a ? , Xziibits first three records and plenty of other cool stuff.
  • smp4life
    Options
    P from Am I Crazy:

"I told you, me and Pac would've worked it all out
    Because Majestry and Stretch would've dead that now
    And we would've all been brainstorming wow
    Imagine life with an army like that right now"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdE27FwP-Tk
  • 5 Grand
    edited March 2016
    Options

1. All Eyes On Me,
    3. Chronic 2001
    4. The Documentary
    5. Good Kidd Maad City

1st DR having hip-hop on smash nationally isn't mutually exclusive. Obviously NYC will always have good music poppin. But that list above is laughable. I wasn't in NYC at the time so I'll take your word for it but I feel sorry for yall that you missed all those classic records like The Chronic (which biggie stated he was influenced by), ? , Ice Cube's whole discography, Streetz iz a ? , Xziibits first three records and plenty of other cool stuff.

1. All Eyes On Me,
    3. Chronic 2001
    4. The Documentary
    5. Good Kidd Maad City

I'm talking about the past 20 years. ? 's claiming that "Cali had Hip Hop on smash from the 90s til now." All I'm saying is that over the past 20 years, that's the only peep I've heard from California, and I have family out there. I visited California in 1997, 2001 and 2003, they didn't have much of a Hip Hop scene from what I could see. To be honest, I was the East Coast cat with the mixtapes.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options

You guys ? me wit the ? . You will say New York ? dont care about whats poppin on the west coast, yet buy a mixtape YOU POSTED with 4 songs that was on All Eyes On Me. Well which is it? Yall ? wit us more than Elitist like you will ever want to admit or otherwise the hate wouldn't be so strong. You would be able to admit the West had their time whether New York ? was tryna tune it out or not that they had they period where they was running the game. This is what I cant stand about you revisionist, the fact you gotta be bias Revisionist also. Everybody know the south took over in 98, everybody know NY had the game on lock from 1990 until the chronic dropped. And then the west had it right until late 96 but its like yall ? wanna just deny us our time only. Not yours, not the south, Just wanna act like the West Coast didn't Contribute nothing and what you don t apparently realize is ? like that make ? like you look petty and look like you still in your feelings about some kicked over buildings in a video type ? 20 years later
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You guys ? me wit the ? . You will say New York ? dont care about whats poppin on the west coast, yet buy a mixtape YOU POSTED with 4 songs that was on All Eyes On Me. Well which is it? Yall ? wit us more than Elitist like you will ever want to admit or otherwise the hate wouldn't be so strong. You would be able to admit the West had their time whether New York ? was tryna tune it out or not that they had they period where they was running the game. This is what I cant stand about you revisionist, the fact you gotta be bias Revisionist also. Everybody know the south took over in 98, everybody know NY had the game on lock from 1990 until the chronic dropped. And then the west had it right until late 96 but its like yall ? wanna just deny us our time only. Not yours, not the south, Just wanna act like the West Coast didn't. Contribute nothing and what you do t apparently realize is That ? make ? like you look petty.

DMX DMX'd the game in 98, South didn't take over till 02-03
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly, I always thought Big's Last freestyle on The Wake Up Show was the highlight of the beef. While the beef escalated from the Dogg Pound's trailer getting shot up, to 2Pac getting robbed at Quad City, to Pac thinking Who Shot Ya was about him, to Hit 'em Up to Drop A Gem On Em, I thought Big reciting those two verses from Long Kiss Goodnight and You're Nobody Til Somebody Kills You on the Wake Up Show was the grand finale of the beef. Those two verses were clearly subliminals about 2Pac. Everybody in the room was thinking the same thing whilee Big was spitting those verses. You can hear the reaction from the people in the room.

And I always thought those verses sounded better over the Hell On Earth beat than the Life After Death versions (Its interesting to note that Big was rapping over Mobb Deep's Hell On Earth Beat).

Long Kiss Goodnight

Uhh.. I'm flamin gats, aimin at, these ?
    maniacs, put my name in raps, what part the
    game is that? Like they hustle backwards
    I smoke Blackwoods and Dutchies, ya can't touch me
    Try to rush me, slugs go, touchy-touchy
    You're bleedin lovely, wit'chyo, spirit above me
    or beneath me, your whole life you live sneaky
    Now you rest eternally, sleepy, you burn when you creep me
    Rest where the worms and the weak be

My nine flies, baptize, rap guys
    With the Holy Ghost, I put holes in most
    You hold your toast shaky, slippin tryin to break me
    Look what you made me do, brains blew
    My team in the marine-blue, six Coupe
    Skied it out, weeded out, cleanin out -- the block
    for distances, givin long kisses ?

You're Nobody Til Somebody Kills You

? in my faction don't like askin questions
    Strictly gun testin, coke measurin
    Givin pleasure in the Benz-ito
    Hittin ? , spendin chips at Manny's
    Hope you creeps got receipts, my peeps get ? like cleats
    Run up in your crib, wrap you up in your Polo sheets
    Six up in your wig piece, ? decease
    MWA, may you rest in peace
    With my Sycamore style, more sicker than yours
    Four-four, and fifty-four draw
    as my pilot, steers my Leer, yes my dear
    ? 's official, only, the Feds I fear
    Here's a tissue, stop your blood clot cryin
    The kids, the dog, everybody dyin, no lyin
    So don't you get suspicious
    I'm Big Dangerous you're just a Lil Vicious
    As I leave my competition, respirator style
    Climb the ladder to success escalator style
    Hold y'all breath, I told y'all -- death
    controls y'all, Big don't fold y'all, uhh
    I spit phrases that'll thrill you
    You're nobody til somebody kills you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rYC0Ohqih4

I know this has been done a million times but that Wake Up Show Freestyle was a perfect way to go out. If you're gonna go out, go out with both guns blazing!!!

And I was listening the night he did that. I still got it on tape 20 years later. I heard it that night and didn't need a doo ? tape to hear it because the Wake up show was on the WEST COAST!
  • 5 Grand
    Options

You guys ? me wit the ? . You will say New York ? dont care about whats poppin on the west coast, yet buy a mixtape YOU POSTED with 4 songs that was on All Eyes On Me. Well which is it? Yall ? wit us more than Elitist like you will ever want to admit or otherwise the hate wouldn't be so strong. You would be able to admit the West had their time whether New York ? was tryna tune it out or not that they had they period where they was running the game. This is what I cant stand about you revisionist, the fact you gotta be bias Revisionist also. Everybody know the south took over in 98, everybody know NY had the game on lock from 1990 until the chronic dropped. And then the west had it right until late 96 but its like yall ? wanna just deny us our time only. Not yours, not the south, Just wanna act like the West Coast didn't Contribute nothing and what you don t apparently realize is ? like that make ? like you look petty and look like you still in your feelings about some kicked over buildings in a video type ? 20 years later

^^^ Now thats ?

1973-1992 - New York was the undisputed Mecca of Hip Hop

1992-93 - California and Death Row came with a new sound (Ice Cube, DJ Quick, MC Eiht, Snoop, Dre, The Chronic, etc.)

1994-1996 - New York City releases THOUSANDS of mix tapes. California responds with ? , Dogg Food, All Eyes On Me, Murder Was The Case Soundtrack, The Doggfather and The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory.

1997 - Bad Boy sells 30 Million records

1998 - No Limit releases 30+ albums but doesn't sell anywhere near as much as Bad Boy in 97

1999 - Two regions battle it out for the next 5 years; New York vs The South.

2006 - The South takes over

I'm not a hater. I was living in Boston up until 1997. I'll admit that The West Coast had a new sound in 92-93 and New York wasn't really poppin like they were in the late 80s. But by 1994 when Illmatic, Ready to Die, 36 Chambers, Hard To Earn, The Sun Rises In The East along with all of those mix tapes that started coming out, there was a renaissance in New York and ya'll missed the boat. It wasn't in Vibe magazine or The Source and it wasn't on MTV or BET, it was on 125th st and was sold in the form of 90 minute cassette tapes.

I can't count how many blunts me and my team smoked listening to 95 Live.

And seriously, you guys should stop bragging about the so-called West Coast dominance. There was really only a two year span (92-93) when The West Coast was on top. Nas, Biggie, The Fugees, Wu Tang Clan, Puff Daddy, Ma$e, DMX, Jay Z outsold the West Coast when you add all the numbers up.