who killed big l and why

Options
Nah Son
Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in The Reason
fact is some guy named gerard woodley was arrested but let got shortly after because there wasnt enough evidence. heres an article ive found that describes some theories about the murder:
"Big L was murdered at 8:30pm on the evening of Monday, February 15th 1999 in front of 45 West 139th Street Harlem, New York. He lived just houses away at 104 West 139th Street. The shooter was one whom Lamont Coleman had known since he was a child. Nine bullets to the head and chest ended the life of a man whose lifetime work was days away from being rewarded. Gerard Woodley of Brooklyn, a man who once sat beside brothers Lamont, Leroy, and Donald to eat, a man openly invited into Terry’s household, shot L several times in the chest to make certain his death, then, to ensure that there would be no open casket funeral, shot him in the face. The ruthless and violent nature of this crime is even surprising to a city where murder is a common occurrence. This callous crime was committed against a childhood friend. Woodley, who was 29 at the time of the shooting had already been arrested earlier that year with Donald Phinazee, and faced federal drug charges for trafficking ? . Woodley was held without bail for the murder of Lamont Coleman, but according to Dan M. Rather, assistant district attorney, he could not be charged because there was insufficient evidence, however, the investigation does remain open. Gerard Woodley is not where he belongs, he is currently free, and he probably will remain that way. He served a brief sentence around the time of L’s murder for an unrelated charge of one count of distribution and possession with intent to distribute ? base.

Lamont’s lifeless body was found outside the Delano Housing project, which was only a block from the very park were he got the gift of gab. Ironically enough, the place where he learned to rhyme, and the common things he spoke of, was what consumed him. At L’s funeral at the George Washington Bridge dozens of hip-hop’s finest attended, members of DITC, and other stars such as Cam’ron and Ma$e were eager to pay respects to their long time friend. The calls would come in that night, offering condolence, from across the world. It appears that Big L was more than just Harlem’s Finest.

“It’s not your enemy who gets you it’s always your own people” —NaS

The facts are undisputed, however, the explanation is indefinite. What was the reason for the death of Lamont Coleman? The answer is simple: no one willing to tell knows. The theories of his death go from glamourous gangland warfare to a random mistaken identity. One story, as told by an ancient Source Magazine, involved Big L himself as a key figure in an infamous Harlem murder. It would be a case of conflict within the NFL (? For Life) crew, of which all people in this story were members. In this theory Gerard Woodley’s good friend, simply known as “Reggie” was gunned down under the instruction of Big Lee aka Leroy Phinazee, one of L’s two brothers. The night Reggie was gunned down, L supposedly placed a large gold chain around Reggie’s neck, as he continued to say, “You look ill in that”. The shooter was instructed to blast the guy wearing the gold chain. The crime unfolded as planned and eventually word came to Woodley that Lee was the mastermind. As a result Woodley made a plan to ? Lee, however, since Lee was in jail at the time, he was untouchable. In Gerard’s mind he planned to do the next best thing, murder L himself. Note that this is a theory, and the truth behind it is uncertain; also note that L never had a criminal record.

Other stories of L's death involve unknown beefs between Woodley and Lee, unrelated to Big L. These stories involve, drugs, money, and robbery. Keep in mind that Woodley, Lee and L were all in the NFL crew, and had all been seemingly good friends. The original theory was that Big L’s murder was a mistaken identity, this because L had no known enemies. The mistaken identity theory can be dismissed because the identified shooter was in the same street crew as L. As you know no one has ever been charged L’s slaying (Woodley was released because the state felt there was not sufficient evidence), therefore, no one has legally been held accountable, like the killers of other fallen emcees such as Biggie and Pac, L’s killer is still at large."

http://www.angelfire.com/hiphop3/harlemsfinest139/Pages/bio.html

another thing i read is that his older brother wanted to find out who the murderer was and was also killed two years later. damn. i wonder why every time a rapper gets murdered no one gets arrested and nobody knows what happened. its a shame and its ? up..

chris rock said it best:

he was an incredible rapper and one can only imagine in what position he would be today.

r.i.p big l.

Comments

• BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    all i heard was that L was killed for his brothers dirt, because his brother was locked up. then they killed him too. and yea, i remember that chris rock bit, it's true
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ^that's what I heard. And that chris rock video = truth lol
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    damn I remember an old article about this..it was either in the source or xxl i think..it broke down the whole thing...there was one about the lost boys and freaky tah too
  • Cake4real
    Cake4real Members Posts: 815
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Interesting thread
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    he woulda bee where fab is.no higher
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    To me Big L was a great loss. I didn't know they killed his brother 2 years later tho. i guess all that you touch one of mine stuff is only good on record
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    To me Big L was a great loss. I didn't know they killed his brother 2 years later tho. i guess all that you touch one of mine stuff is only good on record

Big L was #1 to me around that time. His freestyles on underground radio was never a dull moment. He used to come thru with children of the corn, camron, mcgruff and 'em, even Jigga, and he always rep'ed the hardest on a freestlye. He had lyrics for days.
    At the time he got killed, he was getting his business side going to - with his own label. I was looking forward to him getting that exposure because it seemed like ? like Cam and Jay wasn't tryin to return the favor....

On another note, I didn't even know his brother got killed - did that happen in jail ?
  • Nah Son
    edited July 2010
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »
    Big L was #1 to me around that time. His freestyles on underground radio was never a dull moment. He used to come thru with children of the corn, camron, mcgruff and 'em, even Jigga, and he always rep'ed the hardest on a freestlye. He had lyrics for days.
    At the time he got killed, he was getting his business side going to - with his own label. I was looking forward to him getting that exposure because it seemed like ? like Cam and Jay wasn't tryin to return the favor....

On another note, I didn't even know his brother got killed - did that happen in jail ?

actually Jay-Z said in an online chat that L was set to sign a contract with Roc-A-Fella but then he got shot one week before..Big L's brother was shot in the same neigborhood after he had tried to find out who the killer of his brother was.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i thought he got robbed and then they shot him he was suppose to go on tour with big pun but pun forgot to pick him up
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It's deeper than Rap
  • Nah Son
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It's deeper than Rap

well its obvious that the murder had nothing to do with rap
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    RIP Big L Coreleon...

All I herd was He got killed over his brothers dirt...

That article was very interesting...
  • truhthbetold1999
    truhthbetold1999 Members Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The first story about big l is the correct one and gerard woodley is the one that did ? big l the stupid ass system let him go,gerard woodley and reggie white killed big lee's cousin and reggie white got killed for his part in the act by big lee's cousins people and gerard felt big l would set him up to be next because at the time big lee was in jail so gerard woodley killed big l and rudy meyers aka high jumping rudy a gym teacher at the school197 on 135th st. Madison who wishes to remain anonoymous for his part because of his fake innocent image and his fake muslim name(rashid)drove the getaway car for gerard, it is also established that he and gerard woodley were both scared to face big lee after their coward acts so they put rudy meyers nephew pastachio up to ? big lee when he came home pistachio is now serving time alot of time for his act.and from the words of big lee himself if i'm in here (jail)and know who did it aint no way the people out their on the block don't know.everyone on 139th and lenox are the true snakes and back stabbers to sit back and conspire to have the two main people that gave that block and everyone on that block their idenities killed and to this day big lee existence on that block is still alive through all the living and caniving phonies over there that big lee smacked around and protected and fed so while all of yall stand on big lee's corner 139th lenox and work out on big lee's bar in the park and stand behind gerard woodley and praise him for such a coward move remember non of yall over there will ever accomplish what big lee and big l accomplished loosers so stop useing big l's name to get ahead and stop saying big l was your man and you loved him and really lt him r.i.p
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

lol........................
  • Scholar Jaw
    Scholar Jaw Members Posts: 498
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Big L was no doubt dope. Probably the most the naturally gifted MC ever. But I cant understand why these fools on youtube be saying ? like

"If Big L was alive, he'd be running the game now"

No he wouldnt. No disrespect to Big L, but he wasnt runnin the game when it was about the streets. How on earth would he run the modern age hip hop.

R.I.P to him, but if he was alive he'd be Papoose status.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

you might be right about this one
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The same people who blackballed canibus is the same people who killed Big L.

Too many rappers would have lost because they didnt have SKILL.

we are suppose to have a nation of new rappers with skills. instead, we have rappers named wacka.

history is a sonofabitch huh?
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The first story about big l is the correct one and gerard woodley is the one that did ? big l the stupid ass system let him go,gerard woodley and reggie white killed big lee's cousin and reggie white got killed for his part in the act by big lee's cousins people and gerard felt big l would set him up to be next because at the time big lee was in jail so gerard woodley killed big l and rudy meyers aka high jumping rudy a gym teacher at the school197 on 135th st. Madison who wishes to remain anonoymous for his part because of his fake innocent image and his fake muslim name(rashid)drove the getaway car for gerard, it is also established that he and gerard woodley were both scared to face big lee after their coward acts so they put rudy meyers nephew pastachio up to ? big lee when he came home pistachio is now serving time alot of time for his act.and from the words of big lee himself if i'm in here (jail)and know who did it aint no way the people out their on the block don't know.everyone on 139th and lenox are the true snakes and back stabbers to sit back and conspire to have the two main people that gave that block and everyone on that block their idenities killed and to this day big lee existence on that block is still alive through all the living and caniving phonies over there that big lee smacked around and protected and fed so while all of yall stand on big lee's corner 139th lenox and work out on big lee's bar in the park and stand behind gerard woodley and praise him for such a coward move remember non of yall over there will ever accomplish what big lee and big l accomplished loosers so stop useing big l's name to get ahead and stop saying big l was your man and you loved him and really lt him r.i.p

No disrespect but black folks don't know ? called LOGIC. Listen, if NO ONE (including you) wanna FESS UP and TELL then how the ? are the police supposed to know anything and how the ? are you or anybody else gonna cry about justice?

? talk all that snitch stuff when it's another statistic but when it's their family member or their man they wanna cry justice. Look, ? in LA KNOW Orlando killed 2pac but no one wanna fess up cuz they'll get labelled a snitch. Instead they rather go at Funk Flex or Suge Knight and use them as scape goats and act tough with them on the Internet or via records.

How is the police gonna lock any of these criminals up if nobody is fessin up? And then when the feds DO lock ? up y'all cry "the police is lockin' brothas/rappers up". I feel sorry for african americans, y'all have the most ? up mentality out in the world, but yet still think it's worse overseas LMAO. I live in both places btw and yes i'm black.
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    *? lover post*

yeah.

10 characters
  • Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i can't front - that ? banger just dropped a couple jewels.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    gets no worst than admitting to liking trannys
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I remember reading that awhile ago (years maybe) on here
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    *? lover post*

that ? was disgusting
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Props to dude who gave info on the 139th street intrigue that got Big Lee & L killed.

Vado said it best in 2009...................

"I seen the whole 139th Crew take each other out!"

Anyway, Ciroc stop with that African Americans is the worst ? . It's not true. In Jamaica, Haiti, Brasil, Nigeria, Canada & England etc., all types of ? up ? goes down there too. And in most of those places blacks are the majority so it's no excuse.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh how can you hit somebody in the face 9 times in a drive by?