Buddy Hield in the NBA

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in From the Cheap Seats
This deserves its own thread to be documented and bumped 3, 4 years from now lol

The elephant in the room ...Steph Curry

Wasnt too long ago an elite 'undersized sg' scorer was lighting teams up but we mostly all assumed it wouldn't transfer to the league

So is Buddy more Steph, JJ Redick, or Adam Morrison (in terms of success, not position)

What if he's one of the cats who are the face of this 'new' Steph influenced 3pt happy game.

Nbadraft.net has Buddy all the way up to #3

Whats your take

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never heard of him....but I guess I will one day
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Somewhere in between Steph and JJ
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Beta
    Options
    Imo I see a mix of Lillard and Eric Gordon
  • S2J
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Jodie Meeks

Meeks was stiff with no handle. Buddy doesn't have run pg handles, but he has 'freeze you, get by you, get separation' handles

Eric Gordon is a good one, maybe most accurate. Eric Gordon with heart, health, and actual ? to give

Lillard? nah
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Bradley Beal

edit I didn't read the op Don't know how his career will project but his game reminds me of beal
  • thagame
    thagame Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hield reminds me of a slightly more athletic Jodie Meeks. It is simple as this if he hit his shots 3pt 40% he will have a long career, either as a starter or probably a sixth man. He will be an average defender though. I don't like that he creates more turnovers than assists. He has the ball way too much to not be assisting at all I don't see secondary playmaking skills. Dude is a high volume shooter and still has efficiency which you really can only compare him to someone like Steph.

Meeks as a Junior Kentucky vs. Hield as a Senior

PPG APG TO Reb/g 3PM/g 3p%
    Jodie Meeks 23.7 1.7 2.66 3.38 3.25 0.406
    Buddy Hield 25.4 2.02 3.02 5.69 4.05 0.464

• silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Next Ray Allen IMO.

I would love him with AD and Holiday in Gentry's system as a Pelican
  • Beta
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Never heard of him....but I guess I will one day
    Beta wrote: »
    Imo I see a mix of Lillard and Eric Gordon

Sit this one out

It was from a couple of vids

Don't let me be right in a year or 2 lol
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thagame wrote: »
    Hield reminds me of a slightly more athletic Jodie Meeks. It is simple as this if he hit his shots 3pt 40% he will have a long career, either as a starter or probably a sixth man. He will be an average defender though. I don't like that he creates more turnovers than assists. He has the ball way too much to not be assisting at all I don't see secondary playmaking skills. Dude is a high volume shooter and still has efficiency which you really can only compare him to someone like Steph.

So he average more TOs than assist.

And 5.6 is to damn high for a college player.

? that I'll pass on him. He's not that quick either.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

5.6 is his rebounds
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

5.6 is his rebounds

Oh ok cool.

I thought that ? was abnormally high lol
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    I project Hield to be a top 3 shooting guard by year 2 and will be rookie of the year unless he lands in Sacramento
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see dwade in his game
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    I think he'll be a top 10 shooter in the league right from the jump, his release is closer to Steph than it is Gordon or Beal
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    People just bring up Lillard because they were both 4 year players, no need
  • S2J
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lillard and wade lmao

And u have to do better than 'a more athletic jodie meeks'. Jodie Meeks with more athletiscm is an entirely different player
  • thagame
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Lillard and wade lmao

And u have to do better than 'a more athletic jodie meeks'. Jodie Meeks with more athletiscm is an entirely different player

It is what it is that is what I see. He isn't that much more athletic than Meeks but he appears to be able to slash a little bit better than Meeks but it is not like he is an athlete that is in the class of a Westbrook, Lillard, Wall or Bledsoe. He is slightly limited by his height, wingspan or whatever he isn't explosive and he he is not that great defender or hasn't shown any playmaking ability. Meeks was a really good shooter he just didn't play on a fast paced system that gave him green light like Buddy but man he was putting up some shots.

Like I said above I think he has a chance to be a good pro but it is going to depend on him being an elite shooter. If he is not an elite shooter though what else does he do? The NBA exposes players who are one dimensional.

I wouldn't select Hield with the 3rd pick unless I had all-star big man and very, very suspect guards that you wanted to part with.

And to those that say he reminds you of Ray Allen I just don't see it. Allen in college wasn't just a shooter. The closest comparison of athlete and shooter in college to Ray Allen was probably Ben Mclemore but his shooting didn't translate to the NBA yet.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He will be good unless boston drafts him n he will end up averaging 8 points a game
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't watched much NCAA ball like I usually do so I don't know much about the guys in this draft. I will say i've seen his numbers and how well Oklahoma has been all season and all the above are impressive.

I think for him to be a successful NBA player (like with any player) a lot will ride on what team drafts him and how steady their over all situation is and what vision they have for him as a player.

Curry and Riddick (JJ took a minute and a lot of changes to his ball dominate Duke days to adjust to the NBA) are kind of the exception and not the rule when it comes to undersized (height and wingspan) non good to great athletic NCAA guards who become big time contributors in todays NBA.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm curious who goes 1st overall in the draft this season though. I've seen some mock drafts have Brandon Ingram as the 1st pick over Simmons. A lot will change of course once the draft order, combine and individual workouts begin though.

I think the Simmons kid might turn out to be a hype job though. I mean the SEC isn't the greatest basketball conference and LSU didn't do to well with the so called best freshman in all of nation on their roster. I know it's a team sport but in basketball (especially NCAA) 1 man can make a huge difference in win's and losses.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think this is gonna be a weak draft
  • thagame
    Options
    I'm curious who goes 1st overall in the draft this season though. I've seen some mock drafts have Brandon Ingram as the 1st pick over Simmons. A lot will change of course once the draft order, combine and individual workouts begin though.

I think the Simmons kid might turn out to be a hype job though. I mean the SEC isn't the greatest basketball conference and LSU didn't do to well with the so called best freshman in all of nation on their roster. I know it's a team sport but in basketball (especially NCAA) 1 man can make a huge difference in win's and losses.

I think Simmons is the real deal but he is a player that needs players around him to maximize what he does best especially shooters. He is going to be close to a triple double machine if the coach let's the offense run through him.
    He is not a player you should expect to put scoring on his back. I also think Ingram has the potential to be close to what Giannis is right now but it will take 2 years to show it. His strength has to catch up because he is younger than most freshman.