U.Va. Report: Nearly Half Of Med Students Studied Believe Black People Feel Less Pain Than Whites

Options

Comments

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    zzombie wrote: »
    malcolm.png{[img][/img]

Lol at this stephen not realizing that nearly all of the democrats Malcolm was talking were kicked out of the party and have been republicans for decades. Lol at uncle ruckus not knowing that the dixiecrats of the 60s became the raygun democrats of the 80s and the same ppl became conservative republicans of today. Lol at lil black ? advocating dixiecrat policies and talking points from the 50s and 60s and being too stupid to know it. Lol at this idiot thinking im a democrat. Lynch yourself fiddler.

They have not changed their philosophy just the people who carry it out but you are too ? programmed to see that
    The dixiecrats from Strom Thurmond who ran for president on a segregations platform, jessie, helms, etc all became republicans. Lol at uncle ben not knowing or understanding richard nixons southern strategy. This ? clearly doesnt that the old duxiecrats of the 50 and 60s became tax cutting, small government, raygun loving conservatives of today. Lol at this idiot thinking that liberal and conservative always meant democrat and republican. Lol at ? not realizing that the racist dixiecrats of the 60s switched their uniform from blue to red and are pushing the same racist agenda but call themselves conservative republicans today.

How stupid are you. Lol at you saying youre not a slave to a political party but voting for a party who you have already acknowledged has a vocally racist base. If thats not a political slave then wtf is?????

Drink poison uncle ruckus. You are a lot cause.

I vote for whoever i wish depending on who is running, last election i voted for obama you believe that somehow that makes me a slave because you have the i.Q and thinking ability of a two year old. You want me to vote for the political party of the so called "first black president" who increased black mass incarceration to historic proportions during the 90's.

You talk about dixiecrats but the northern liberals were worse than the dixiecrats and continue to be. You fall for their facade easily because you subconsciously believe in your own inferiority.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Smh at this idiot not knowing that republican representative joe "you lie" wilson is a protégé and worked as an aide for strom thurmond. Smh at this idiot for ignoring the fact that former republican senate majority leader trent lott advocated for the policies of strom thurmond and saying the nation would have been better off if thurman would gave been president. Smh at this idiot accepting and tolerating overt racism and claiming not to be a political slave. Smmfgdh
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @blakfyahking

I am not making a case that more is needed but simply that those wanting the drug as a form of treatment are not given the most up to date treatment.

I understand that there are many that disagree with the usage of RX for treatment of psych. disorders and I know that it can be over prescribed or misused (as with any drug) but I also think that those choosing this option are looked down on when in fact we would not look down on say a person taking insulin for Diabetes.

However a person seeks to treat symptoms whether it is through therapy or RX, it should be encouraged. Many of the drugs treatments out there are safe and effective when prescribed by someone with knowledge in the field. I do not think people going to a general practitioner should be seeking RX for psych disorders as their scope on the overall problem is limited.

We tend to hear the negative with psych meds (as we do with any negative) and yet many people thrive and do well while on them.

Yes it is very taboo in our community. I touched on that as well but I won't get into it.
  • zzombie
    Options
    Smh at this idiot not knowing that republican representative joe "you lie" wilson is a protégé and worked as an aide for strom thurmond. Smh at this idiot for ignoring the fact that former republican senate majority leader trent lott advocated for the policies of strom thurmond and saying the nation would have been better off if he would have been president. Smh at this idiot accepting and tolerating overt racism and claiming not to be a political slave. Smmfgdh

I don't care what joe wilson said it made no difference to my bank account or my daily life.
  • zzombie
    Options
    TALKING about and addressing the racism in the healthcare system is a good thing but don't tell me it's a bigger problem than over 70% of black households having no father.

where did you get that stats?

if you are getting your numbers for the U.S. Census Bureau just because a woman is technically single doesn't mean a man isn't in the household or an active participant in the child's life

Studies have shown that their is significant difference between married people living together with their children and couples who shack up. Having an uncle or grandfather in a child's life is vastly inferior to having a father who will be there everyday and Most live in boy friend situations don't last more than 6 months to a year AND BRINGING a new man into your house every year is probably not a good idea.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/adulthood-whats-the-rush/201303/cohabitations-effect-kids
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MissK wrote: »
    @blakfyahking

I am not making a case that more is needed but simply that those wanting the drug as a form of treatment are not given the most up to date treatment.

I understand that there are many that disagree with the usage of RX for treatment of psych. disorders and I know that it can be over prescribed or misused (as with any drug) but I also think that those choosing this option are looked down on when in fact we would not look down on say a person taking insulin for Diabetes.

However a person seeks to treat symptoms whether it is through therapy or RX, it should be encouraged. Many of the drugs treatments out there are safe and effective when prescribed by someone with knowledge in the field. I do not think people going to a general practitioner should be seeking RX for psych disorders as their scope on the overall problem is limited.

We tend to hear the negative with psych meds (as we do with any negative) and yet many people thrive and do well while on them.

Yes it is very taboo in our community. I touched on that as well but I won't get into it.

I hear u, I was just offering my opinion........nothing of what I said should take away from the excellent points u brought up

my issue is that where we place ourselves in the whole "feedback loop" of this issue (many other issues), is always a counter-intuitive position

we understand that racism negatively impacts our lives even in the most subtle forms....ie. just like this topic

but we also add to the problem because we come in the door ? up and not knowing exactly what it is we are trying to accomplish.....and in a lot of cases we may actually know what we want to do, but we still continue to take actions that make it harder for us to accomplish our goals

perfect example: makes no sense to worry about racism in healthcare when most of us aren't serious about our health as it is........too many of us don't prioritize having health insurance, we promote the cultural taboos of ignoring mental illness, we lead unnecessary risky lifestyles and then act surprised when we get sick/have an accident, so on and so forth

that's why I don't really see the sense in getting all riled up about the racism aspect at this point
  • skpjr78
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Smh at this idiot not knowing that republican representative joe "you lie" wilson is a protégé and worked as an aide for strom thurmond. Smh at this idiot for ignoring the fact that former republican senate majority leader trent lott advocated for the policies of strom thurmond and saying the nation would have been better off if he would have been president. Smh at this idiot accepting and tolerating overt racism and claiming not to be a political slave. Smmfgdh

I don't care what joe wilson said it made no difference to my bank account or my daily life.

Thats what i would expect to hear from someone who wants to be a part of a "vocally racist base" and their political party. So i guess you dont care about the public policy agenda of a senate majority leader who publicly espouses the views of a segregationist dixiecrat either. Smh.

Lol at this michael steele ass ? thinking any level of financial success makes him any less of a ? in the eyes of the political party he is a slave for. Lol at an immigrant saying we should vote for issues that directly effect us and then voting for the anti-immigrant party. You are a disgrace.
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    malcolm.png{[img][/img]

Lol at this stephen not realizing that nearly all of the democrats Malcolm was talking were kicked out of the party and have been republicans for decades. Lol at uncle ruckus not knowing that the dixiecrats of the 60s became the raygun democrats of the 80s and the same ppl became conservative republicans of today. Lol at lil black ? advocating dixiecrat policies and talking points from the 50s and 60s and being too stupid to know it. Lol at this idiot thinking im a democrat. Lynch yourself fiddler.

They have not changed their philosophy just the people who carry it out but you are too ? programmed to see that
    The dixiecrats from Strom Thurmond who ran for president on a segregations platform, jessie, helms, etc all became republicans. Lol at uncle ben not knowing or understanding richard nixons southern strategy. This ? clearly doesnt that the old duxiecrats of the 50 and 60s became tax cutting, small government, raygun loving conservatives of today. Lol at this idiot thinking that liberal and conservative always meant democrat and republican. Lol at ? not realizing that the racist dixiecrats of the 60s switched their uniform from blue to red and are pushing the same racist agenda but call themselves conservative republicans today.

How stupid are you. Lol at you saying youre not a slave to a political party but voting for a party who you have already acknowledged has a vocally racist base. If thats not a political slave then wtf is?????

Underrated post.

The bolded is factually correct and obviously well-documented.

Fwiw Zombie isn't the only one in this thread who apparently isn't well versed in the history of the modern de-facto US political dichotomy. Peep the few posters who positively reacted to his disingenuous post of an anachronistic Malcom X quote deliberately took out of context(coincidentally that's also a favorite tool used by white nationalists to promote their fascist conservative agenda). Posters out here exposing themselves and their lack of rudimentary knowledge on such a subject(among other things).
  • zzombie
    Options
    malcolm.png{[img][/img]

Underrated post.

Fwiw Zombie isn't the only one in this thread who apparently isn't well versed in the history of the modern de-facto US political dichotomy. Peep the few posters who positively reacted to his disingenuous post of an anachronistic Malcom X quote deliberately took out of context(coincidentally that's also a favorite tool used by white nationalists to promote their fascist conservative agenda). Posters out here exposing themselves and their lack of rudimentary knowledge on such a subject(among other things).

Another liberal broke ? who will be crying about racism while doing nothing that can actually stop it's effects on black people. I don't give a ? about the dixiecrats i don't give a rats ass and nether should you
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? up part of this is that its Black doctors who do it too. I went in with an irregular heartbeat a couple weeks back. I workout regularly, don't eat crazy, and drink water.

I went to the ER with an irregular heartbeat after two consecutive days of heartbeat increase. I told the doctor my heartbeat sped up out of nowhere the day before after I ate a bag of Cheetos (first chips in forever), drank about a cup of coffee worth of caffeine with two scoops of Amino Energy, and water.

The next day--the day I'm sitting in front of him--I drank water, milk, two scoops of protein, a multivitamin, and a small bowl of vanilla ice cream, and orange juice. Heart started racing about 30 minutes after I finished the ice cream, so I went to the hospital.

I remember all this because this ? looked me dead in the face and said: "You're on excessive stimulants. The FDA doesn't approve supplements, so who knows what's in them?"

I was like, "I can literally pull up the ingredient list on my phone. I've been taking this for years, and nothing like this has ever happened to me."

He said the ? again, then said I'd be cool to keep taking the protein, vitamins, and creatine ten seconds after saying I shouldn't take any of it. At that point I quit listening. ? said, "There's a chance you could have an undiagnosed heart condition, but a guy your age in your condition that's probably not it."

Thankfully, I'm OK... but I seriously wonder how many black lives have been lost to ? like this. My nurse came in after that and gave the best advice: "If you're taking anything new, subtract it and see what happens. Different manufacturing processes and ingredients between the same type of products, so there's probably something new or a formula switch."

Did that and voila! Nothing ever sense. Meanwhile, this ? goblin literally fast tracked me through to basically tell me keep taking what I'm taking because what? YOLO? Smh...
  • skpjr78
    edited April 2016
    Options
    malcolm.png{[img][/img]

Underrated post.

Another liberal broke ? who will be crying about racism while doing nothing that can actually stop it's effects on black people. I don't give a ? about the dixiecrats i don't give a rats ass and nether should you
    Lol at not caring about the dixiecrats but being a memer of their "vocally racist" party while advocating their racist agenda. Lol at a black immigrant belonging to the anti-black, anti-immigrant, white nationalists party of amerikkka. Unbelievable smmfh.

clayton-bigsby-chappelle.jpg?w=650
  • zzombie
    Options

Thats what i would expect to hear from someone who wants to be a part of a "vocally racist base" and their political party. So i guess you dont care about the public policy agenda of a senate majority leader who publicly espouses the views of a segregationist dixiecrat either. Smh.

Lol at this michael steele ass ? thinking any level of financial success makes him any less of a ? in the eyes of the political party he is a slave for. Lol at an immigrant saying we should vote for issues that directly effect us and then voting for the anti-immigrant party. You are a disgrace.

I am not part of any base i vote for whoever i think can benefit me and mines and as i see it right now voting for a leftist liberal democratic party that pushes colorblind racism and has paternalistic views of black people is not in my interest or yours. CALL me whatever you want to. I don't care you collect a pay check i give them.

You want to stop senate majority leaders from doing fuckery??? you are not going to do so by denying members of your own race political freedom and from my estimation the republican party in general is not anti-immigrant they are anti illegal immigrant. I came to america legally.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MoralOral wrote: »
    The white liberal base of the democratic party is worse they destroyed the structure of the black family, promoted feminism and increased black mass incarceration.

But because a republican is more prone to call you ? you hate them more. Which only proves you have the mind of a child.
    Smh at you not hating them at all. Smh at you voting for anyone after that just called you a ? . Smh at your attempts to rationalize your coonery.

I have the mind, spirit and nuts of a grown man therefore i have no love for either side. You on the other hand want to be accepted by and will vote for people after they call you a ? to your face. You are a ? of epic proportions. Lynch yourself

HATE and emotionally outbursts are for little children politics and economics are for adults call me whatever you want at the end of the day I WILL WIN and YOU will lose because i see the bigger picture and you don't your children and grand children will work for me and beg my children for jobs and their daily bread.

Lol..this is mad over the top

No it's not this ? is calling me all kinds of names just because i don't share his political views, I have good reason not to support his views. My method of black empowerment is focused on increasing our economic possibilities and to do so that requires political freedom and a culture of being self reliant and responsible.

His method of black empowerment seems to be all about cursing other black people who don't agree with him.

So say your the better person, then respond in the same manner he responded to you? That's a flawed approach.
  • zzombie
    edited April 2016
    Options
    malcolm.png{[img][/img]

Underrated post.

Lol at not caring about the dixiecrats but being a memer of their "vocally racist" party while advocating their racist agenda. Lol at a black immigrant belonging to the anti-black, anti-immigrant, white nationalists party of amerikkka. Unbelievable smmfh.

I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY how many times do i have to keep saying that. You are one damaged and emotional guy.
  • zzombie
    Options
    The white liberal base of the democratic party is worse they destroyed the structure of the black family, promoted feminism and increased black mass incarceration.

But because a republican is more prone to call you ? you hate them more. Which only proves you have the mind of a child.
    Smh at you not hating them at all. Smh at you voting for anyone after that just called you a ? . Smh at your attempts to rationalize your coonery.

I have the mind, spirit and nuts of a grown man therefore i have no love for either side. You on the other hand want to be accepted by and will vote for people after they call you a ? to your face. You are a ? of epic proportions. Lynch yourself

HATE and emotionally outbursts are for little children politics and economics are for adults call me whatever you want at the end of the day I WILL WIN and YOU will lose because i see the bigger picture and you don't your children and grand children will work for me and beg my children for jobs and their daily bread.

Lol..this is mad over the top

No it's not this ? is calling me all kinds of names just because i don't share his political views, I have good reason not to support his views. My method of black empowerment is focused on increasing our economic possibilities and to do so that requires political freedom and a culture of being self reliant and responsible.

His method of black empowerment seems to be all about cursing other black people who don't agree with him.

So say your the better person, then respond in the same manner he responded to you? That's a flawed approach.

Who said i was a better person???? I am smarter than him but i am not a better person. I don't always take the high road and ignore ignorant attacks against me. What annoys me about this guy is that he is purposely not trying to understand what i am saying.
  • SolemnSauce
    Options
    You say purposely, that's an assumption that he does fully understand and just being dificult. To say he fully understand is to say he is as smart as you. But to say you kids will be in the position to decide whether or not give his kids scraps. Is to say you are better than him, and so are your kids. But that's neither here nor there..ion really care. I just like ? wit people's logic.
  • zzombie
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    malcolm.png{[img][/img]

Both are playing both. But I see why black people are more on the Left side, because the right always represented POWER and the Left represents change in regime and support of the people. It's only really logical, but the fact is that no group is gonna support us in any form or fashion until our money starts talking.

For our money to talk we have to change certain behaviors we cannot keep doing the same ? and expecting a different outcome. But if you tell certain black people to forget political rhetoric and vote for their interests they will accuse you of being a ? .

They aren't listening because you are coming at them like you have a chip on the shoulder. No offense, but it's the truth and I don't mean you need to talk to the community softly, but you got to come at their level. When you talk you are from an ivory tower people and they are at the bottom then they are going to feel some type of way. People literally at the bottom have no idea why they are on the bottom and it's a lack of awareness and I keep learning and researching and have people rising to keep me afloat in their respective professions and disciplines.

There are aspects of Left and Right wings that we need to encompass, but we are a unique people with a unique history that needs to deal with our problems differently. We need to maximize all our tools and leaning left or right won't benefit us in a political and economic way. We need to force a third primary party to emerge.

BLACK PEOPLE are in dire straits the time has passed for talking softly. Those who are at the bottom and refuse to look up will stay at the ? bottom. People wonder why their are so many rich black people yet many of them do nothing for the community. I can tell you that it's because of people like the idiots in this thread. why am i going to sink my wealth into a community that has no values??? and blames their own short comings on outsiders whom they already know hate them
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't get it... If this article tells you something you already know...

What are you going to do about it?

Are you still going to white doctors?
  • skpjr78
    edited April 2016
    Options

I am not part of any base i vote for whoever i think can benefit me and mines and as i see it right now voting for a leftist liberal democratic party that pushes colorblind racism and has paternalistic views of black people is not in my interest or yours. CALL me whatever you want to. I don't care you collect a pay check i give them.

You want to stop senate majority leaders from doing fuckery??? you are not going to do so by denying members of your own race political freedom and from my estimation the republican party in general is not anti-immigrant they are anti illegal immigrant. I came to america legally.

lol at an immigrant thinking a political party that advocates keeping people out of the country based on their religious beliefs, building a wall to keep immigrants out and that children seeking political asylum should be turned away benefits him and his immigrant family. ? unbelievable smh. you cant make this ? up.
  • SolemnSauce
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    I don't get it... If this article tells you something you already know...

What are you going to do about it?

Are you still going to white doctors?

riley-shhh.jpg
  • zzombie
    edited April 2016
    Options

lol at an immigrant thinking a political party that advocates keeping people out of the country based on their religious beliefs, building a wall to keep immigrants out and that children seeking political asylum should be turned away benefits him and his immigrant family. ? unbelievable smh. you cant make this ? up.

YEAH i am an immigrant, but i am smart enough to know that letting Muslim immigrants from the war torn areas into the nation i am living in is ? stupid because chances are they want to ? me. Letting in the children without the adults puts a strain on the tax payers; who will be taking care of these kids???AS for building a wall it won't work to keep Mexicans out.

obama is a black liberal president he had a black attorney general and he still did nothing about the racist criminal justice system that ? fatherless black boys keep throwing themselves at. In fact he doesn't address black issues at all but because his political party does not call you ? you are happy.

I don't care for either the republican party or the democrats but i will vote for any one of them depending on the situation.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    malcolm.png{[img][/img]

Underrated post.

u making a lot of assumptions tho bruh

that quote is still relevant even tho it applies to both parties

the problem is because black folk don't make politicians earn our collective vote, we get screwed by both parties

u letting the fringes of each party dictate what they stand for..........if u would be at least willing to consider the other side, maybe politicians would take us seriously

u point out the racism in the Rep party, but blatantly ignore the paternal racism of the Dem party.........how is that any better?
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options

read something similar a while back about white pain being taken more seriously than blk pain

Also doctors tend to spend less time listening to blk patients than non blk patients; a fact proven in numerous studies

makes you wonder how many blk lives have been stunted and lost because either some doctor didn't take their pain seriously and there was a misdiagnosis

@zzombie this is somehow our fault, right?

This no lots of other more important things yes

More important things? Such as?

Going back to the days of Jim Crow I'm going to assume millions of blks have been left in either debt, stunted or dead because of some doctors prejudices and structural racism in the healthcare system ...so I would say this a pretty urgent concern

Or are you referring to the rampant racism in the housing and banking industry?

what is more important ??? for starters not sending other black people to the emergency room in the first place
    yes racism in the healthcare system is ? up and it should be stopped but the horrible violent and stupid behaviors in our communities is more destructive.

The vast majority of violent crime is committed by a small subset of the community ....mainly impoverished inner city young, blk males involved in drugs and/or gang affiliated

The vast majority of the victims are impoverished young, blk inner city males

A big problem, yes

But in terms of scope, the rampant racism in the healthcare system touches the lives of more ppl and it's impact is far more devastating

? there are more black people affected by violence and crime than racism in healthcare the affect of crime on black lives alone far surpasses racism in healthcare.

and i am not denying racism in healthcare system but to say that it comes any place close to being as destructive as black crime is a lie. do you know the economic, social and psychological strain on the black community caused by ? crime??? a lot of the after effects of crime are what either directly or indirectly send black people into the healthcare system in the first place.

the crime rate is at historic lows around the country

yes it does still remains an issue for the ppl of detroit, chicago, baltimore, etc

however the residents seek AND require medication attention, same as any other grouping of human beings, for issues other then knife and gun shot wounds the overwheming majority of the time

especially considering many of these neighborhoods are impoverished food deserts and many of its residents are malnourished because they are limited to diets high in fat, salt, suagr etc

so while the violence must stop, i'm not sure what that has to do with racism in the healthcare industry, which is the topic at hand. though i'd argue that the racism and structural inequality in the healthcare system does a lot to perpetuate the violence and poverty in these areas by keeping ppl in debt and serving as a barrier to mental health care services and substance abuse services they need

also there are indeed blk ppl who don't live in high crime areas and/ or who don't have to worry about gang violence who are affected by these prejudices
  • skpjr78
    Options
    malcolm.png{[img][/img]

Underrated post.

I AM NOT A MEMBER OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY how many times do i have to keep saying that. You are one damaged and emotional guy.

smh at publicly advocating and voicing support for ted "govt shut down/birther in chief" cruz while claiming to not be a republican. foh
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I support taking in refugees tbh