Grads Buried in Student Loan Debt, but Unwilling to Give Up Luxuries

Options

Comments

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got no sympathy, if you're too ? stupid/stubborn and sink yourself, oh well.

#whitepriveledge
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Jesus christ. ? really putting themselves 10k+ in debt for a car?

46yrs old and never had a car loan in my life.

Currently driving a 96 Crown Vic and a 99 Denali......both of which I paid less than $5000 for.

Just like my pops, he got hip after paying bmw leases for 10 years, now he drives all the cars he's ever liked, he got a 85/86 supra the rare body junt, he has 2 one red one blue, he bought a 86 triumph TR6, and has a 98 Lexus gs

He's the reason why I still drive my 88 caprice and 96 impala ss, not giving up either one, ? a car note
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends on how much the note is if I would finance a car. Anything over about $400 a month is ? ridiculous. My potna bought a 2016 Silverado and pays damn near $700 a month payments on that ? . ? that's more than some folks rent out here.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Like I said in the reason thread. If you have a car note but you have the money in the bank to buy your car tomorrow then cool but if you slaving from check to check (also with needed overtime) to match your car note then you are an idiot. I refuse to become a ? to a car. ? be trying to ride exclusive but be having to pull hours at extreme work hours to make their payments. My neighbor doesn't make much but he drives a 2010 impala. I told him before he bought it to not buy it, go get a old school (Monte Carlo & etc) keep it clean, stack your money then when you get a good paying job, go & attempt to get a new car.................5 years later, he is like "mannnnn, I wanna go to school but it's costly". I was like "duhhhhh, bruh I told you to not buy that car, now you gotta work hard to keep it"..

My potna is an accountant and had to go get a second job so he could afford that truck plus his rent. ? rent is $1000 a month with (after insurance) $850 into a truck. That aint including child support and other ? . I'm like ? you have no extra bread for ? . I told him the same ? if you gone get a note that ? should be no more than 3/4 of one 40 hours week worth of pay. Anything more than that you ? up.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    I wanna learn how to do IT for free online that seems like a good hustle

For Certifications (which are big in the IT field) go w/ Pass4Sure. It's helped my career thus far.....
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man keep ? 100 I got an 89 Pontiac Bonneville and even got vintage plates on that mother ? to get a discount on insurance combined with student and military discount I pay 56 a month to insure it.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Some people like nice cars and have no problem paying a note each month. I can't say that's stupid.

it's money out the window every month, and if you're a college grad it's possibly the most idiotic thing you can do. Cop a decent older ride for cash and if you want, take the money you would have spent on car notes and invest it and actually do something with that money to get ahead.
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    I'll be paying student loan debt on the income based plan until the 25 years are up. Then they'll write off the remaining balance and I'll pay the taxes on that. Student loans are ? bruh, but the schools pushed that ? on the kids like it was all good. I know we have personal accountability, but who at 18-21 going to turn down $5k refund checks?

The brain isn't even fully functioning at 18. The prefrontal cortex is fully developed around 25. "The main functions of the prefrontal cortex revolve around problem solving and decision making". It's all a scam. Who owns that sallie mae ? ? Rich crackas?
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I be feeling like a ? who dodged death when it comes to student loans I got a small one for the time I tried bs ass trade school tci something about that ? didn't add up so I stopped found some free programs did a few internships to get where I'm at now I couldn't imagine paying for 40k to possibly make 40 k a year or less ? are really coming outta college to make 13-15 an hour

I close to doing around 60 k this year I've been doing mad ot so it maybe a bit more
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    I'll be paying student loan debt on the income based plan until the 25 years are up. Then they'll write off the remaining balance and I'll pay the taxes on that. Student loans are ? bruh, but the schools pushed that ? on the kids like it was all good. I know we have personal accountability, but who at 18-21 going to turn down $5k refund checks?

The brain isn't even fully functioning at 18. The prefrontal cortex is fully developed around 25. "The main functions of the prefrontal cortex revolve around problem solving and decision making". It's all a scam. Who owns that sallie mae ? ? Rich crackas?

hqdefault.jpg
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some people like nice cars and have no problem paying a note each month. I can't say that's stupid.

it's money out the window every month, and if you're a college grad it's possibly the most idiotic thing you can do. Cop a decent older ride for cash and if you want, take the money you would have spent on car notes and invest it and actually do something with that money to get ahead.

I feel you. But you're not listening, fam. We gotta stop demonizing any decision that we wouldn't make ourselves.

I can guarantee you spend money on SOMETHING each month that someone would call 'money out the window'. But that's their viewpoint. Not yours.

I don't pay for cable. Because I think my money is better spent elsewhere and I don't watch much tv. But that's ME. To the person who loves watching the later shows and for whom tv is an escape or their only leisure time or whatever...that's money well-spent.

People who have kids and want the newest safety features or who drive a lot for work or whatever and want to have a really comfortable car or a person who is an environmentalist who wants a hybrid or electric car or a person who wants whatever the ? hey can only get in a newer car with a payment isn't stupid just for the fact that they chose a car with a payment.

Knock it off.

That's just my $00.02 though. Feel how you feel, my ? .
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I feel you. But you're not listening, fam. We gotta stop demonizing any decision that we wouldn't make ourselves.

I can guarantee you spend money on SOMETHING each month that someone would call 'money out the window'. But that's their viewpoint. Not yours.

I don't pay for cable. Because I think my money is better spent elsewhere and I don't watch much tv. But that's ME. To the person who loves watching the later shows and for whom tv is an escape or their only leisure time or whatever...that's money well-spent.

People who have kids and want the newest safety features or who drive a lot for work or whatever and want to have a really comfortable car or a person who is an environmentalist who wants a hybrid or electric car or a person who wants whatever the ? hey can only get in a newer car with a payment isn't stupid just for the fact that they chose a car with a payment.

Knock it off.

always diffusing a debate...

been getting on my nerves ?

sit this one out an let ? fight....aint nobody fighting near a sleeping baby and it ain't about ciara...

let them ? cook
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Knock it off.

always diffusing a debate...

been getting on my nerves ?

sit this one out an let ? fight....aint nobody fighting near a sleeping baby and it ain't about ciara...

let them ? cook

My bad, my ? .
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with a car note. I've lived with and without a note, it's all about living within your means. People value piece of mind at different amounts
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My whole take on it is the less payments that you have, the better. I'd like to get to a point one day where the only payments I have are to my house basic utilities/the 4 walls and Investments.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Knock it off.

@bolded, that ain't what we're talking about here. We're talking about college graduates that feel compelled to run out and get a car note but still have student loans to pay back, then get down the road wonder how they're drowning in debt.

Even still, you're acting like an older ride isn't comfortable, isn't safe, and doesn't save on gas, which is an erroneous assumption.

Nobody is demonizing decisions, we're saying the SMART decision for a recent college grad is to put off buying/leasing a new car and focus primarily on getting those loans off their back. If you do it smart, you can have them gone before you're 30... Depending on the amount you took out you could conceivably be done before you're 27 or 28.

If you want a car note, cool, do you, but the discussion at hand is bettering the financial situation of any recent college grad, and jumping out there with a car note plays right into the OP:
    They are very committed to living their life the way they want to live their life, and as frustrated as they are by student loans, they are not willing to make those lifestyle tradeoffs,” said Brendan Coughlin, president of consumer lending for Citizens Bank.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MrSoutCity wrote: »
    Community college>>>

@MrSoutCity check yo inbox, I gotta ask you something
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MrSoutCity wrote: »
    Community college>>>

I'd have went this route if I had to do it over again. Two years at my local community college to get all the physics and calculus courses I needed, then finish out university.

Might have stayed home and went to Mississippi State, instead of going out of state also. Two years of out of state fees is what ballooned my debt.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options