Can we revisit Nastradamus??

Options
tharealest561
tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2016 in The Reason
This album is almost always heralded as Nas's worst effort and, to date, I'm not quite sure why.

I think the problem stems from every project he dropped being compared to Illmatic. It Was Written (which is a top 10 hip hop album of all time and the perfect mafioso album IMO) suffered the same fate. I know this project had some duds (namely Big Girl, You Owe Me and those unnecessary skits at the end of some of the tracks) but pound for pound I think this ranks 6-7th in Nas's lengthy catalogue.

Songs like Come Get Me, Project Windows and Life We Chose are vintage Nas. Additionally, his rapping as if he were a prison on Last Words was flawless.

What's y'all's overall thoughts on this album in hindsight?

http://youtu.be/whjJ390_X3Q

http://youtu.be/0LJvYYPw6_I

http://youtu.be/YO5Tneo1lv0

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    People hated it without even listening. I remember going over my boys crib when it came out. He bought Nastradamus and Black On Both Sides on the same day. He listened to the first few songs and said it was wack and put another CD in the deck (actually I think he bought the cassettes if my memory serves me correctly).

Truth be told, Nastradamus is probably one of the better albums to come out of 1999. And I know that a lot of fire albums came out of 1999, Nastradamus is probably in the top 10.

I think people hated it because he dropped two albums in one year and neither one was a 5 mic classic. Also he seemed to be following trends instead of setting them. Still a solid album though.

And I've seen You Owe Me pack a dance floor.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    People hated it without even listening. I remember going over my boys crib when it came out. He bought Nastradamus and Black On Both Sides on the same day. He listened to the first few songs and said it was wack and put another CD in the deck (actually I think he bought the cassettes if my memory serves me correctly).

Truth be told, Nastradamus is probably one of the better albums to come out of 1999. And I know that a lot of fire albums came out of 1999, Nastradamus is probably in the top 10.

I think people hated it because he dropped two albums in one year and neither one was a 5 mic classic. Also he seemed to be following trends instead of setting them. Still a solid album though.

And I've seen You Owe Me pack a dance floor.

Of course u would u ?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I never liked it but it did have a few nice songs though.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought it was mediocre (for a Nas album)
    Few years after it dropped, I realized it was not that bad
    In fact, it was pretty good (had some bangers.) But I expected more..

..from Nas
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too many classic Nas tracks to be considered trash

Life we chose
    Project windows
    ? love us
    Last words
    Come get me
    Family

All 5 star tracks, shoot em up and New world are very close and the rest of those songs were pretty good lyrically, calling himself Nastradamus was corny and blatantly biting Pac (Makaveli), the skits were trash and the album didn't really tell a story like it should have, not very cohesive but still better than a lot of ? that was coming out and some of his best work is on there, 3 out of 5
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    It wasnt a wack album, but you rank it @ 6th best in his catalog? I still think it's his worst or 2nd worst album.
  • Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Life we chose
    Project Windows
    Come get me
    Shoot em up
    Last words
    Family
    You owe me

They're the only tracks I kept from this album, the production was a bit pop at the time, I think ? was still expecting a return to Illmatic, plus some lyrics were just too commercial and uninspired on a lot of the tracks
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we really needed that double album
  • tharealest561
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    It wasnt a wack album, but you rank it @ 6th best in his catalog? I still think it's his worst or 2nd worst album.

6-7th depending on how I'm feeling yeah. My PERSONAL ranking of his discography:

1. Illmatic
    2. It Was Written
    3. Stillmatic
    4. Lost Tapes
    5. Life Is Good
    6. ? 's Son
    7. Nastradamus
    8. I Am...
    9. Hip Hop Is Dead
    10. Untitled
    11. Street's Disciple
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If I AM and Nastradamus was a double album, it would have been better than most double albums.
  • tharealest561
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

If I AM and Nastradamus was a double album, it would have been better than most double albums.

Nastradamus, minus 2-3 songs, was a completely separate album. I Am... the Autobiography contained a lot of songs from The Lost Tapes and songs that ended up being on I Am... (The solo disc that came out). All that ? got bootlegged so he revamped it.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It ? 's on most Jay-Z albums, oh yeah I typed it!
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Straight Trash
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i liked about 3 to 4 tracks but the album is trash. i understand and know the history about what it could've been but idgaf. it's trash
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wasn't jus wack for his standards it was wack period
  • tharealest561
    Options
    So y'all think Project Windows, Come Get Me, Last Words, Life We Chose, ? Love Us, Shoot Em Up and Family wack?

I really don't see how this is viewed as trash.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not a good album dude. It's ok to admit that ? . My issue with this album is the same issue i had with Kingdom Come, the production is poor.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like it and before one of you morons say it, no I didn't "force" myself to like it either. I ? with it
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I made myself like it, cause I paid for it. it had a few good joints on it, I like the vibe.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not as bad as people want it to be.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The main issue with Nastradamus is that it WOULD have been dope if the label and Nas left it alone after it got bootlegged. We wouldn't have Lost Tapes, but we could've had one of the best double album in Hip Hop.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Now let's say you owe me something
    Yeah, owe me back like you owe your tax
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was better than that 'I am" horse ? .
    Not bad tho.
    Big girl and shoot em up was my joints on this album.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shoot 'em up used to bump in the whip! Had the 2 12's in the trunk rocking! We used to always ride out to that song.