The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Food environment is a huge concern in United States. No access to fresh fruit and vegetables meams fewer people will eat them. And if you do have access its expensive to eat healthy, so fast food it is.

Case in point, I see more weed dispensaries in Detroit than supermarkets and that ? ain't been legal that long.

No it is not. It is less e,pimsive to eat healthier for a week then it would be to eat fast food for a weak

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/healthy-vs-unhealthy-diet-costs-1-50-more/

No. We aren't going to simply claim that a "healthy diet" is more expensive then an "unhealthy diet. Not only are those terms so loose and undefined in that study they don't even attempt to set a baseline beside simply using calories as a form to measure health when in general calorie will only effect weight and the actual nutrients inside said food effect health.

Overall eating general nutrient rich healthy food (rice, beans, greens, lean meat/fish) will cost less then eating 3 square meals a day of fast food or junk food (chips, sugared drink, empty chocolates) and be overall more filling which will in return save you even more money

Yes we are. Thats what i said.

And the rest of my post refuted clearly why such a claim is foolish and why basing it off calories is an arbitrary reasoning that doesn't measure food actually being healthy but instead calorie intake. But just completly ignore that and continue to believe something which is completly false.
    Moore7s wrote: »
    No it is not. It is less expensive to eat healthier for a week then it would be to eat fast food for a weak - Jackal

Bars

Ether
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It depends on what you're buying.

I buy a big bag of frozen broccoli from Sams for about $6. It last for 4weeks.
    The bag of wild brown rice is about $3 to $5. It also last about 3-4 weeks.
    Almond milk 3 half gallons for about $7-$9. That last about 2-3 weeks(I'm not the only person that uses it)
    Bag of Almonds from Sams is about $15 and last about a month.
    Oatmeal cost me about $8 and last about 4weeks.

I buy fresh fruit every week
    I buy my grapes, strawberries, blueberries. For about $15-$16
    I buy my apples, oranges, cucumbers, carrots, and spinach from Publix for about $20.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Food environment is a huge concern in United States. No access to fresh fruit and vegetables meams fewer people will eat them. And if you do have access its expensive to eat healthy, so fast food it is.

Case in point, I see more weed dispensaries in Detroit than supermarkets and that ? ain't been legal that long.

No it is not. It is less e,pimsive to eat healthier for a week then it would be to eat fast food for a weak

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/healthy-vs-unhealthy-diet-costs-1-50-more/

No. We aren't going to simply claim that a "healthy diet" is more expensive then an "unhealthy diet. Not only are those terms so loose and undefined in that study they don't even attempt to set a baseline beside simply using calories as a form to measure health when in general calorie will only effect weight and the actual nutrients inside said food effect health.

Overall eating general nutrient rich healthy food (rice, beans, greens, lean meat/fish) will cost less then eating 3 square meals a day of fast food or junk food (chips, sugared drink, empty chocolates) and be overall more filling which will in return save you even more money

And the rest of my post refuted clearly why such a claim is foolish and why basing it off calories is an arbitrary reasoning that doesn't measure food actually being healthy but instead calorie intake. But just completly ignore that and continue to believe something which is completly false.
    No it is not. It is less expensive to eat healthier for a week then it would be to eat fast food for a weak - Jackal

Bars

Ether

People don't shop per calories. They shop by gotdamn price.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bgoat wrote: »

Almond milk 3 half gallons for about $7-$9. That last about 2-3 weeks(I'm not the only person that uses it)

I buy my apples, oranges, cucumbers, carrots, and spinach from Publix for about $20.

Its also about where you live. Options are limited especially in cities like Detroit.
  • bgoat
    Options

Its also about where you live. Options are limited especially in cities like Detroit.

I feel ya, I'm down here in kountry ass Alabama.
  • bgoat
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I also use my foodsaver to help keep my strawberries, blueberries, and cucumbers as long as possible. They'll usually last about 2weeks. Especially since buying strawberries and blueberries from Sams vs Publix. Get more and pay less at Sams.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »
    MAN ITS HARD AS HELL TO EAT HEALTHY FOR LUNCH IF YOU DONT BRING YOUR LUNCH FROM HOME...

tbh not really..

Yes it is. Most fast foods even the so called healthy places have crazy amounts of sodium.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Bars

Ether

People don't shop per calories. They shop by gotdamn price.

Did you read your study you posted because the claim they are basing that healthy cost more is off of per calorie each serving and even go as to lump all process meat into the unhealthy side while lumping all fruits into the healthy side which is why I said that the study in the first place was abritary and just generally broad in it assessment.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel like this thread is Shot at @irony
  • Mseries_
    Mseries_ Members Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    I feel like this thread is Shot at @irony

Word I've said it before homeboy's eating out budget gotta be like 10 stacks for the year or $200 a week( if you got it like that, I ain't mad at you). But how he ain't got gout or super low energy levels, ahhh man that ? crazy.
  • jniam
    jniam Members Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is cheaper to make your own food than to eat out.

$10 on 2- 14 pack of chicken drumsticks
    $3 on a 3-lbs of black beans
    $4 on 3-lbs of brown rice
    $6 on tomato paste, sauce, oil for a stew
    $8 on various spices and seasoning
    $8 on frozen normandy blend mega bag (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, squash)

$40 total (approx)

The rice, beans, sauce and spices last at least a month. The chicken is gone in 4 weeks (freeze the unused ones). Essentially I have lunch for the month at $1.33 a meal. Grilled chicken, black beans and rice with steamed veggies and Nigerian tomato stew.

At my internship the people there do the DC food trucks every day. At least $8-12 dollars per meal downtown. Sure, eating out tastes way better, not gonna lie. But do the math.

$40 for lunch for a month vs $200 in lunch take out. Might not be much if your making good bread, but for those at the lower end of the income pole, every dollar counts. $160 over 6 months is almost $1,000. That's enough to upgrade your wardrobe or get yourself a very nice treat.

I usually bring lunch M-F then eat out once on Saturday and one on Sunday. Moderation man.
  • jniam
    jniam Members Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I also use my foodsaver to help keep my strawberries, blueberries, and cucumbers as long as possible. They'll usually last about 2weeks. Especially since buying strawberries and blueberries from Sams vs Publix. Get more and pay less at Sams.

My mans, please put me unto the link for a food saver.
  • bgoat
    Options
    jniam wrote: »

My mans, please put me unto the link for a food saver.
    http://www.foodsaver.com/home

It's very similar to this one and about what I paid for mine. I also ordered some of the attachments, like for mason jars. I store my store my strawberries, blueberries, and cucumbers in these jars.
    http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sealers/the-foodsaver-v3240-vacuum-sealing-system/FSFSSL3240-P00.html#start=3
  • The_Jackal
    Options

$40 total (approx)

The rice, beans, sauce and spices last at least a month. The chicken is gone in 4 weeks (freeze the unused ones). Essentially I have lunch for the month at $1.33 a meal. Grilled chicken, black beans and rice with steamed veggies and Nigerian tomato stew.

At my internship the people there do the DC food trucks every day. At least $8-12 dollars per meal downtown. Sure, eating out tastes way better, not gonna lie. But do the math.

$40 for lunch for a month vs $200 in lunch take out. Might not be much if your making good bread, but for those at the lower end of the income pole, every dollar counts. $160 over 6 months is almost $1,000. That's enough to upgrade your wardrobe or get yourself a very nice treat.

I usually bring lunch M-F then eat out once on Saturday and one on Sunday. Moderation man.

I agree. The problem is people don't know how to cook food so that it is tasty and they over eat and don't realize they are full.
  • 25centsandwich
    25centsandwich Members Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    Options

$40 total (approx)

Do you really eat that everyday tho?

I think what people confuse cheap for convenience...

Honestly its just too easy to go to a fast food joint and pay 5 bucks for something you can eat in the car...

I honestly dont have time to heat the food up and sit down and eat for lunch...im lucky if i get time for a solid breakfast...

And this is not counting the prep time at home...

That said, the key to everything is moderation...

People who say they will NEVER drink soda but drink sugary almond milk everyday are ridiculous ...or people who swear off mcdonalds but drench salads and meat in sugar and fat laden sauces..
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Manggis/purple mangosteen is delicious and incredibly healthy, they swear by that ? in Indo

dont know if its really healthy But I drink my coffee with red ? , tastes incredible.

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Sticky this. The things people are posting and the "knowledge" they are passing along in the pic thead is disgusting. Im talking to my BLACK people. Bc we are predisposed to a lot of ? and these pwople just dont give a ?

You are more likely to die, amd die early, of diabetes or heart failure than by a cop or any type of gun violence, oh but aint nobody on the IC gon rally for that tho /rant

i can see it now

police guns down unarmed black kid and gets away with it

S2J: what about black people's eating habits though? you ? wanna protest police brutality but refuse to put down fried chicken?

Yawn. I was well aware of the reach that would come as soon as i typed it. I didnt stutter. Get your fat ass outta McDonald's and cover ALL bases of improving quality of life

i agree. black people's eating habits are the death of us. and a large number of our people dont want to hear that eating healthy ? . its unfortunate. some have changed their eating habits but a lot more work needs to be done

but you undermined police brutality and gun violence in our community for healthy eating. they're not related to this topic. why bring them up? you have the tendency of coming off as a ? ? whether its your intent or not. and this ? right here?

"oh but aint nobody on the IC gon rally for that tho"

the very thread your're posting in and the conversations being had nullifies that remark. not to mention the getting healthy thread at the top of the page

I just pointed out how stupid you sound

You coulda did a solid 15 burpees while writin all that. Get your life together
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll eat what I wanna eat till the day I die

Thinking like that, you won't have to wait too long
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sticky this. The things people are posting and the "knowledge" they are passing along in the pic thead is disgusting. Im talking to my BLACK people. Bc we are predisposed to a lot of ? and these pwople just dont give a ?

You are more likely to die, amd die early, of diabetes or heart failure than by a cop or any type of gun violence, oh but aint nobody on the IC gon rally for that tho /rant

i can see it now

S2J: what about black people's eating habits though? you ? wanna protest police brutality but refuse to put down fried chicken?

Yawn. I was well aware of the reach that would come as soon as i typed it. I didnt stutter. Get your fat ass outta McDonald's and cover ALL bases of improving quality of life

i agree. black people's eating habits are the death of us. and a large number of our people dont want to hear that eating healthy ? . its unfortunate. some have changed their eating habits but a lot more work needs to be done

but you undermined police brutality and gun violence in our community for healthy eating. they're not related to this topic. why bring them up? you have the tendency of coming off as a ? ? whether its your intent or not. and this ? right here?

the very thread your're posting in and the conversations being had nullifies that remark. not to mention the getting healthy thread at the top of the page

you in ill pix caping for borderline fat ? with cellulite on the back of their thighs, over women that are in shape

but you're in here tryna talk healthy living?

somethings not adding up
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I made a conscious decision a few years ago to completely overhaul my diet. In the past I've lived by the axiom, "don't drink, don't smoke, eat healthy, die anyway." As a way to justify my bad eating habits. But a ? 's energy levels was ? poor. So I decided to actually READ the food labels, an actually drink water.

I don't ? with foods that have......

- High fructose corn syrup

- Hydrogenated oils

- Trans-fats

- Sodium Nitrate, of anything that's high in sodium

- Soda's

- Red meat & pork

- Candy bars

Took me baby steps to eventually eliminate all those things, but I realized that when you really put your mind to something, anything is achievable.
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

$40 total (approx)

Do you really eat that everyday tho?

I think what people confuse cheap for convenience...

Honestly its just too easy to go to a fast food joint and pay 5 bucks for something you can eat in the car...

I honestly dont have time to heat the food up and sit down and eat for lunch...im lucky if i get time for a solid breakfast...

And this is not counting the prep time at home...

That said, the key to everything is moderation...

People who say they will NEVER drink soda but drink sugary almond milk everyday are ridiculous ...or people who swear off mcdonalds but drench salads and meat in sugar and fat laden sauces..

Going to fast food place sitting in drive thru eating in the car takes more time than warming something up in the microwave.

Also man not sure your daily obligations, but take time to Sit down n eat not always running on someone else schedule. U can make time believe that
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

$40 total (approx)

You are on the same tip that I am on. Except you spend less than I do (I'm going to steal your grocery list) but I only eat out once a week (Saturday). I use to eat out on Friday but it'll drain my energy & make me sleepy then I'll have to push myself to go to the gym at midnight.

My coworker told me last week that him & his wife use to spend $300 every 2 weeks by eating out everyday. I bring my own breakfast & lunch from home while he buys pork breakfast sandwich from the break truck everyday morning. I be looking like "how y'all can eat that stuff?" Not only it's unhealthy eating habits but how you spending money on overpriced food that's unhealthy already? Sometimes my job will order fast food for everyone & my coworker will say "you better go get you some". Naw G, I'm good. You can keep that. I got my own food. Or they'll say "how does Sanford keep his body structure?" Duhhhhh, because we don't eat the same food. I am on a healthy diet
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options

i can see it now

you in ill pix caping for borderline fat ? with cellulite on the back of their thighs, over women that are in shape

but you're in here tryna talk healthy living?

somethings not adding up

@ bolded, you're talking about this?

tumblr_nypaviDGwZ1s5aqb5o7_1280.jpg

You pass huh. Oh i get it, you're a ?

@ the rest, so basically you're saying:

"Oh so you want to eat healthy yourself but you like big ? and ? on the women you ? ?!". Yea you're a an idiot & ?