So Umar Johnson Was Trying To Claim To Be A Relative of Frederick Douglass?

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
So apparently "Dr" Umar Johnson was out here trying to claim he's a relative of Frederick Douglass and the family responded to the
April 18, 2016
To whom it may concern:
The family of Frederick Douglass has received numerous inquiries about Umar Johnson questioning his relationship to Frederick Douglass. There have also been questions about the legitimacy of his PhD and handling of the donations he’s received for a school he is promoting. We can tell you with 100% certainty that he is not a descendant of Frederick Douglass.
With that being said, Mr. Johnson is very careful not to bill himself as a “descendant”, but he doesn’t correct people when they refer to him in this way. He calls himself a “blood relative” which is a nebulous reference designed to make people think he is a descendant. We have researched his explanation of being a “blood relative” to the Great Abolitionist. Some of the information he provides is accurate, but an extremely important piece of his explanation, with regard to a documented relative of Frederick Douglass, is false. The information he recites correctly is from the public record so his knowledge of our family ancestry is far from definitive proof.

The official Douglass family tree is held in the archives at the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site in Washington, DC. Mr. Johnson’s name is not on it.

Sincerely,
Frederick Douglass Family Initiatives

http://www.fdfi.org/category/press-releases

Comments

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I recently read the narrative of Fredrick Douglas and umar claiming to be a relative is meaningless because Douglas firstly didn't really know who his father was and secondly his grandma had many many grand children
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm pretty sure he said that he was directly related to Fredrick Douglas' brother

Question: what does this do? Why are so-called "conscious" people constantly trying to tear Umar Johnson down?

This is a direct question to you OP @blackrain

How is this related in any way to the work he does or the factual information that he spreads?
  • blackrain
    edited April 2016
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he said that he was directly related to Fredrick Douglas' brother

Question: what does this do? Why are so-called "conscious" people constantly trying to tear Umar Johnson down?

How is this related in any way to the work he does or the factual information that he spreads?

I'm not trying to tear him down. The thread title is presented in the form of a question not a definitive statement. How about actually commenting on the families statement and them saying some of the things he's claiming is false.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Folks gotta stop running behind these so called conscious folks that have zero stripes.....all them ? who are apart of the so called black conscious community are hustlers and scammers...what have those ? done in all these years?????

Surely you not trying to talk down on the work Dr Umar been putting in

I swear ? hate themselves
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His grandma populated a plantation u might b related to him who gives a ? #Always hating
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    Folks gotta stop running behind these so called conscious folks that have zero stripes.....all them ? who are apart of the so called black conscious community are hustlers and scammers...what have those ? done in all these years?????

What has the info he's dropped done for you? How have you applied this info? Is he really a Dr.?

I love myself enough to ask these types of questions about anyone.....but yea what has he done?

He's the only one pointing out the bias against black boys in the education system

He's one of the only ones pointing out the REAL issues behind crime in low-income areas

He's given out many MANY history lessons in his speeches

What have YOU done comparable to any of this??

What makes Umar Johnson a Creflo Dollar?

Umar doesn't pass around collection plates at his speeches, Umar hasn't asked people for a private jet and gotten it0
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

I'm not trying to tear him down. The thread title is presented in the form of a question not a definitive statement. How about actually commenting on the families statement and them saying some of the things he's claiming is false.

My very first sentence was a comment on the family's statement, how about reading my post next time THEN responding

What false things are Umar Johnson claiming??
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    The Dr. Watkins Vs Dr Umar ? made me raise a eyebrow. Especially when I suggested Dr. Umar ? his issue with Dr. Watkins on Facebook. Dr. Umar or whoever runs his Facebook deleted my post. When confronted with certain issues Dr. Umar handles the confrontation like a teenager. Usually with memes and calling people haters. He's losing credibility at a fast rate. Hope he enjoys the money and the trips its providing him. He's nothing more than Creflo Dollar in a dishiki.

Explain how he is in any way like Creflo Dollar please

You ? don't know your history and don't CARE to know your history but you think you know better than a man that goes out of his way to teach lost/suppressed history to people too ignorant and insecure to want to learn it smh
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What has the info he's dropped done for you? How have you applied this info? Is he really a Dr.?

I love myself enough to ask these types of questions about anyone.....but yea what has he done?

He's the only one pointing out the bias against black boys in the education system

He's one of the only ones pointing out the REAL issues behind crime in low-income areas

Umar doesn't pass around collection plates at his speeches, Umar hasn't asked people for a private jet and gotten it0

? that's all he's done???

That ain't ? and he's not the only one pointing out that particular information that's going on in the school system with black boys. It's folks dropping way may info and goes way more deeper in history....as a matter of fact he hasn't said ? I didn't already kno when it comes to history.

I never said I was a leader or pretended to be a leader....this is how negores react when u question those who claim to be leaders.....

Please drop some more info on something that's tangible that he's done because I still don't see how y'all follow these ? .

Not that I agree with everything he says/does, but he does do a lot for the community. I know he has a weekly teleconference for black patents to call in and ask questions regarding Childs education and mental health. He also extends himself to be a resource to fight for misdiagnosed children when it comes to ADHD and being put on medication.

He also is involved with the National Independent Black Parents Association.

To insinuate that he does nothing is being dishonest.
  • blackrain
    edited April 2016
    Options

My very first sentence was a comment on the family's statement, how about reading my post next time THEN responding

If you read the op instead of reacting emotionally as if I'm the one who wrote the family statement you'd see what the family is claiming he's falsely claiming. That he's related to Frederick Douglass through someone and they're saying the claim is false. I'd say the family of the person he's trying to claim a connection to is more than just some random "conscious" person trying to tear him down
  • blackrain
    Options

He's not the only one or one of few doing those things. There was just a thread about a program someone started directly for young black boys called the Gentleman Program.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Umar doesn't handle criticism well when Boyce and other have asked him about the school project. The fact he has the money now to open one and its not, would make anyone concerned.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

a.mann wrote: »
    jono wrote: »

Can someone answer me why a person asking for money would refuse to offer any documentation to potential investors?

Now watch in a few days/weeks/months he will produce a business plan and act like he always had one...

Ask yourself this as well...
    Dr. Watkins is a PHD in finance with hella connections and personal education on the subject of raising money. Not only that, but he was also a professor. So Watkins could have not only helped homie get the money, helped with the business plan if he needed it but also put him in touch with educators and other institutions to make it a reality...

But more than that...he is a ? investor!! He already gave to the ? school fund!

And you ? on him? Does that sound like something a smart businessman would do?

Is that somebody you would do business with?

It's odd when you really think about it

It DOES appear as if Umar is keeping any one with a reputable background in investment or financial management at arms length

It's like Umar has this thing set up that all you can do is donate your money and praise him....

and if you ask questions about the progress of the school...how the money is being utilized ...
    all he has to do is invoke "you wouldn't ask the white man..." ""but the white man..." etc.etc.
    and that gets people off his trail

• AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    The Dr. Watkins Vs Dr Umar ? made me raise a eyebrow. Especially when I suggested Dr. Umar ? his issue with Dr. Watkins on Facebook. Dr. Umar or whoever runs his Facebook deleted my post. When confronted with certain issues Dr. Umar handles the confrontation like a teenager. Usually with memes and calling people haters. He's losing credibility at a fast rate. Hope he enjoys the money and the trips its providing him. He's nothing more than Creflo Dollar in a dishiki.

i remembered when you posted about that

thats when his money started looking funny in the light to me

how you gon campaign for all this money from the standpoint on trying to be accountable for how our youth are being raised, yet, when people ask you legitimate questions about said money, you start calling them haters?
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aint mad at the scrutiny, it comes with the territory and its necessary

but with that being said, if we held this nation and its entities to the same standards we hold ourselves to our existence here would be completely different

Wonderful point.

Also, what the short sighted posters fail to comprehend is, whatever capacity people like Umar rise to they are human beings. Most other groups will take their scholars, academics flaws and all. They name buildings after them, parks etc etc. We tear our folks down when most often all they are doing is delivering a message. One small misstep or difference of opinion and out come the small minded. I believe free thinkers and people of strong integrity can separate the message from the flawed individual.
  • Bulletproof Wallets
    Bulletproof Wallets Members Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    His family history has nothing to do with the purpose of his message.
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

That ain't ? and he's not the only one pointing out that particular information that's going on in the school system with black boys. It's folks dropping way may info and goes way more deeper in history....as a matter of fact he hasn't said ? I didn't already kno when it comes to history.

I never said I was a leader or pretended to be a leader....this is how negores react when u question those who claim to be leaders.....

Please drop some more info on something that's tangible that he's done because I still don't see how y'all follow these ? .

@bold: that's a lot more than you've done. PERIOD

You're posting like you know better than the dude actually going out trying to make a difference, then you "claim" you're not trying to be a leader. That's throwing rocks and hiding your hands

@italicized: no, this is what happens when crab ? try and crab. None information that Umar Johnson has spread has been refuted. This is essentially a gossip thread. It has nothing to do with his message

Why does he have to do something tangible for YOU ? ??

Is the information not enough for you to go out and do something tangible for yourself?? I don't expect for Umar Johnson to do ? for me except give me information that I did not previously know. THAT is powerful enough to me
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

Not that I agree with everything he says/does, but he does do a lot for the community. I know he has a weekly teleconference for black patents to call in and ask questions regarding Childs education and mental health. He also extends himself to be a resource to fight for misdiagnosed children when it comes to ADHD and being put on medication.

He also is involved with the National Independent Black Parents Association.

To insinuate that he does nothing is being dishonest.

Y'all need to set the bar higher for who y'all support as these black conscious community leaders (whatever that means)....

But if y'all count that as stripes than who am I to say anything....

For folks who really want to be put on with folks that are really doing something and who are real leaders with real stripes just hit me privately.....

The rest of y'all ? who are supporting these frauds and scammers y'all keep doing y'all thing no hate.

How about you explain what that means, you were the first one to bring it up

Set the bar higher too who btw? Y'all love to judge black leaders against mythical figures like Jesus, like they aren't real people

White people love notable people despite their flaws. Apparently a lot of ? lack the mental dexterity to be able to do so with other blacks smh
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

If you read the op instead of reacting emotionally as if I'm the one who wrote the family statement you'd see what the family is claiming he's falsely claiming. That he's related to Frederick Douglass through someone and they're saying the claim is false. I'd say the family of the person he's trying to claim a connection to is more than just some random "conscious" person trying to tear him down

Where did they say this?

I didn't read that at all, please point it out for me thanks
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

He's not the only one or one of few doing those things. There was just a thread about a program someone started directly for young black boys called the Gentleman Program.

? that's 1 black man suiting up a small group of boys in 1 school

That's supposed to be equal to all the hundreds of thousands that UJ has reached??