Drake and Nicki Minaj Are Getting Hosed....

Options

Comments

• GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    So Drake didn't tour but a lil bit

And I find it funny and ? up that J. Cole only got 1.5 million for sales because most of his sales came in 2015 due to album being released in mid December.

They all getting ? .

You do realize that's normally how much you gonna get off a album unless you on a independent..... You not getting 5-10 million off album sales unless yo album selling 5-10 million copies

And that's getting ? over.

He's platinum right that's 1 million copies let's say at $10.

That's 10million. And he's not even getting 20% of that.

I hate how artist getting ? over. ? is crazy.

The average artist gets 3 points and album which equates to 30 cents and album. You go platinum then that's 300k. That's not including singles. J Cole making 1.5 mil off sales is actually pretty good imo.

He probably has an option to buy back his masters too seeing how Jay, Rihanna,etc have theirs.

GOAT.... I was just finna type this.... Rappers ain't never got $10 off an album unless they indy or sum ? .... The fact that Cole got a mill off a mill sold is actually really good
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »
    Sion wrote: »
    Lolololololol Birdman will die before he let Drake and Nicki go. It'll start with Nicki complaining she wants out and not getting her just due and then all eyes on Drake...

But what about their album contract? If they fulfill that, can't they leave after that?
    When I look at Wayne and what he is rightfully owed, he is not seeing that money. That's just how Slim and Baby are. While he is still young, I'd just leave it all and start fresh. Rebrand his name and own his music going forward.
    Wayne was the most loyal to Cash Money and look how they did him. In my eyes Drake and Nicki would get the same treatment because their the company's biggest cash cows outside of Wayne.

Looking at the way Birdman moves he'd probably wait till they on that last album of the deal then put em in the bushes so they can't leave
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »
    Sion wrote: »
    Lolololololol Birdman will die before he let Drake and Nicki go. It'll start with Nicki complaining she wants out and not getting her just due and then all eyes on Drake...

But what about their album contract? If they fulfill that, can't they leave after that?
    When I look at Wayne and what he is rightfully owed, he is not seeing that money. That's just how Slim and Baby are. While he is still young, I'd just leave it all and start fresh. Rebrand his name and own his music going forward.
    Wayne was the most loyal to Cash Money and look how they did him. In my eyes Drake and Nicki would get the same treatment because their the company's biggest cash cows outside of Wayne.

Looking at the way Birdman moves he'd probably wait till they on that last album of the deal then put em in the bushes so they can't leave

All jokes aside, that makes no sense. Drake and Nicki are too big to let that happen especially Drake and the machine he has behind him now. It all depends on the contract they have. I hope people would take what Wayne went through as an example.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From what i was reading on billboard artists with low publishing amounts have outside songwriters....safaree, meek mill, quentin miller?

We know Drake does
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're a ghostwriter I don't think you get publishing rights because you sold the verse thru and thru.

But besides publishing and touring Drake and Cole deal looks the same.

WATTBA sold a lot in 2016 so his album sales would be a lot higher and with no touring it would be crazy high.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're a ghostwriter I don't think you get publishing rights because you sold the verse thru and thru.

But besides publishing and touring Drake and Cole deal looks the same.

WATTBA sold a lot in 2016 so his album sales would be a lot higher and with no touring it would be crazy high.

I meant writer period, any other name other than the artist on those credits getting some kind of check....I think.
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake samples a lot of rnb songs, even on IYRTITL which was probably his album with most rapping

those samples definitely cut into his publishing
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Artist revenue from touring is a monster and J Cole definitely has the ethic artists are supposed to have. I hate how a lot of rappers barely ever tour. They rather get 250k doing a quick Reebok commercial than spending 3 months getting 500k on a tour. Then they complain about not being promoted smh
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Cole isn't coming close to Drake & Nicki's endorsement and business venue bread tho..
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JColes last album was his best (FNL is his best overall). Hard work paid off
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Th funny ? to me is Drake had all the buzz in the world before signing to YMCMB (officially). He had all the leverage to tell any label to give him all his publishing and his masters. I guess he felt some type of loyalty to Wayne and Baby. smh

He positioning him self to double back and get his ? back ala Hova.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Th funny ? to me is Drake had all the buzz in the world before signing to YMCMB (officially). He had all the leverage to tell any label to give him all his publishing and his masters. I guess he felt some type of loyalty to Wayne and Baby. smh

Difference is Jay-z has been a indy artist his whole career. He always had his publishing, i believe he negotiated for his maters after he got the Def Jam President position.

We'll see if Birdman and Slim even budge if Drake tries to get his masters and publishing. We see what they doing to Wayne right now.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I REALLY wanna see how this plays out
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Difference is Jay-z has been a indy artist his whole career. He always had his publishing, i believe he negotiated for his maters after he got the Def Jam President position.

We'll see if Birdman and Slim even budge if Drake tries to get his masters and publishing. We see what they doing to Wayne right now.

Consider that they on the verge of losing all of their marquee artist Nicki, Drake and Wayne and they cant brake an artist and the big 3 probably wont resign, 10-15 years from now Drake might make a move to get his ? back not next year. Just speculation not capin I just know Drake is in rarified air and he aint coming down no time soon.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm almost for certain Drake and Nicki signed a 360....
  • endboss
    endboss Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gossiping about other mf money while working at burgerking is whats hot now? I don't get it...
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So Drake didn't tour but a lil bit

And I find it funny and ? up that J. Cole only got 1.5 million for sales because most of his sales came in 2015 due to album being released in mid December.

They all getting ? .

You do realize that's normally how much you gonna get off a album unless you on a independent..... You not getting 5-10 million off album sales unless yo album selling 5-10 million copies

And that's getting ? over.

He's platinum right that's 1 million copies let's say at $10.

That's 10million. And he's not even getting 20% of that.

I hate how artist getting ? over. ? is crazy.

The average artist gets 3 points and album which equates to 30 cents and album. You go platinum then that's 300k. That's not including singles. J Cole making 1.5 mil off sales is actually pretty good imo.

He probably has an option to buy back his masters too seeing how Jay, Rihanna,etc have theirs.

GOAT.... I was just finna type this.... Rappers ain't never got $10 off an album unless they indy or sum ? .... The fact that Cole got a mill off a mill sold is actually really good

I was always told that if a rapper who is signed to a major label get $1 off every album sold, then that's a come up..

If J. Cole got a million from selling a million records then that's a come up..

If an independent artist pay for everything out of pocket and do his own marketing and distribution, then if he sell 250,000 cd's for $8 a piece then he get to pocket $2 million..
    That's how ? in the South blew up,
    from selling they own cd's out the trunk of they car..
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    Options
    Y r folks comparing rappers(jcole) to popstars(Quentin&nikki) ?
  • uncommonsense
    uncommonsense Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That short record label owner in Houston aint trippin'.
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Taylor Smith makes crazy money...

I need to get in them guts and why it say ariana Grande made only $147 touring? Lol

? is Taylor Smith

ahh beat me to it lol

Me too
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont know about ? ... he wouldnt have sold as much or have been touring as consistently without the support of a major label. So you could argue percentages, but to become a millionaire independently takes a lot more grunt work than he has put in thus far, plus they opened the door for him to make 7 million more in other places.

Its a give and take. ? talk about I want my publishing, but why would someone give you exposure without any incentive? It's like on Shark Tank where people come in and are afraid to give up 20% of their companies or whatever, with those guys on your team you will make a lot more than you would have alone and increase your opportunities to make money in other places tenfold. Don't have so little confidence in your ability to do other things.

Just think of yourself as a business man and think of your money. Would you invest in a musician and not ask for any of his publishing? If so, what are you gonna take? His merch, his touring, a percentage of sales? If it was your money that put him in the light, isnt said artist in debt to you once he is making millions? You aren't a bank, this is an investment, not a loan...

It's business, artists get ripped off because they have no leverage but they want to be famous, don't act like they didnt know what they were signing, and at the end of the day if you play your cards right, either way your family will be straight forever. ? , now you have enough money to start your own label and do ? "fair"..

Whatever that means