Apple Reportedly Eliminating ITunes Music Downloads "Within Two Years"

Options
MrCrookedLetter
MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in The Reason
itunes-store.png

If you have any iTunes giftcards laying around, now may be a good time to use them up. According to Digital Music News, Apple is preparing to eliminate music downloads via the iTunes Store, hoping to retire the service within two years. A less aggressive three-to-four-year timetable is also apparently being discussed, based on the assumption that industry will have transitioned to streaming only by then.

While paid music downloads do still bring in a lot of money to Apple, music industry analyst Mark Mulligan estimates that this source of revenue would only worth $600 million in 2019, a drastic decline from its peak revenue of $3.9 billion in 2012. Moreover, downloads declined by 16% “in nominal terms” last year, with them “tracking to decline between 25% and 30%” this year.

Apple launched its version of the streaming subscription service last July, and, according to Mulligan, is slated to end the year with 20 million subscribers, with Apple’s streaming revenues surpassing that $3.9 billion music downloads peak revenue.

Digital Music News also reports that part of this decision was affected by the confusion spawned by the company’s many and overlapping products and offerings.

This proposed change may be met with strong opposition, particularly by independent labels, which may heavily rely on music download sales. Apple has also recently made a point to not undermine the iTunes Store with upcoming changes to Apple Music, as Bloomberg reports.

Apple has yet to make an official statement on Digital Music News’ report.

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2016/05/apple-terminating-itunes-music-downloads/

Comments

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so nobody buys albums anymore not even download form
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm too old for this.

I like the idea of being able to buy a song from iTunes, but honestly I've never done that. I typically go to illegal sharing sites to get what I want, and if that doesn't work I'll go to Youtube and record it onto Audacity, and then convert it to mp3.

But if I REALLY like a song I'll order the vinyl from discogs or I'll order the CD from Amazon.

• huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you pay for permission to access the music you buy. intangible product of data somewhere in the cloud. analog forms are always best
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    So Apple basically gonna make everybody with a iPhone or iPad get Apple music??? Guess that's a way to get yo subs all the way up and ? over the artist more..... Been telling y'all it gets no greedier than Apple

You can clearly add your music library to i tunes now you will just have to buy digitally through amazon music. Not that hard to do. Plus you can upload music from usb or CD's on a computer and load it to your i phone.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    I'm still mad they quietly stopped making classic iPods. My dumb iPhone doesn't have anywhere near enough storage to hold my 10,000 songs like iPods did and Apple hasn't introduced any new music player that does. I like having all my music with me. I will forever buy iPod classics from eBay

That was the thing that ? me off the most about apple. The classic was the GOAT music device with hella space. Them ? stopped being made right as i was planning to invest in one.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never have and never will support any overrated Apple product. Them ? are muscling the ? out of artist. They get a 1/3 of all songs sold and they literally do nothing in the creation of music.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    So Apple basically gonna make everybody with a iPhone or iPad get Apple music??? Guess that's a way to get yo subs all the way up and ? over the artist more..... Been telling y'all it gets no greedier than Apple

You can clearly add your music library to i tunes now you will just have to buy digitally through amazon music. Not that hard to do. Plus you can upload music from usb or CD's on a computer and load it to your i phone.

Thing is Apple knows the common person isn't gonna do all that when they can easily just sign to Apple music which just puts the money in they pocket.... Plus only allowing streaming and closing your iTunes store means you get to pay artist less becuz ppl can't buy the albums where an artist would get more money
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This wack.Itunes is the only way I cop music ? streaming
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all acting like its gonna delete your music... It's not ...

Thats what i thought was going down when i read the thread title.

I still dont like this.

All these streaming services having exclusive rights to certain artists itunes always bridged the gap.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cats still coppin physical albums like it's the 90's FOH most artists full albums suck they have like 3-4 good songs I buy What I like off the album that's why itunes is the Goat
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    I'm still mad they quietly stopped making classic iPods. My dumb iPhone doesn't have anywhere near enough storage to hold my 10,000 songs like iPods did and Apple hasn't introduced any new music player that does. I like having all my music with me. I will forever buy iPod classics from eBay

Cosign. There's a ? shop around my way that sells the classic iPods. They're only like $50 used, but they're also 10 years old so I'm not sure how they hold up.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad I download all my ? through torrents. never bought ? from apple
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I aint renting ya ? ass music