NYPD Gestapo Commissioner Bratton blames concert shooting on rap artists who are "thugs"…

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://abcnews.go.com/US/nypds-bill-bratton-blames-thugs-ti-concert-shooting/story?id=39385319
NYPD's Bill Bratton Blames 'Thugs' for T.I. Concert Shooting That Left Man Dead

New York Police Department Commissioner Bill Bratton today blamed Wednesday night’s fatal shooting at a planned T.I. concert on “so-called rap artists who are basically thugs.”

“The crazy world of the so-called rap artists who are basically thugs
that basically celebrate the violence they live all their lives and, unfortunately, that violence often manifests itself during the performances and that’s exactly what happened last evening,” Bratton said during a radio interview this morning on WCBS 880.

Comments

• the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hiphop is a former of entertainment. Just as films like American sniper are.....Oh wait!!

Double standard indeed.

So we get called thugs (which is really a PC, version of "? .") And guys that ? over 80 persons (acting as judge, jury, and executioner, because they were "bad guys") get called "heroes."

There is a reason most rappers are called "studio" gangsters. Illustrating the fact the Hiphop is an art form, meanwhile (culturally appropriating white rappers never get labeled as thugs, only "artists").

This Bratton guy must be running for higher office, because he's blowing the racist dog-whistle with this kind of demagoguery. I can't take him seriously when he publicly supported the cop who murdered Eric Garner, ON FILM.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

Lol nah b...this is one of those a broke clock is right twice a day scenarios..

They literally have one of the rappers on tape shooting in a crowded venue...everybody stand down on this one..save your energy for the next fight

This idiot shooter done ? it up once again. He needs the outage directed towards him.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    is he wrong though?
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    is he wrong though?

Thought the same. I mean there's so many fakes these days doing dumb ? and purposely perpetuating a thug image, what else can we expect?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rappers seem like the only musicians we want to criminalize for their lyrics. FOH
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The first thread about him he's blaming cameras for police misconduct and proved Bratton is a fasist..

Now he's calling black rappers thugs to show he's racist.. wow
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? want to be thugs
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    Rappers seem like the only musicians we want to criminalize for their lyrics. FOH

Lol you act like smooth jazz artists regularly make songs about selling drugs and killing people. And I could be wrong, but I don't think there are too many pop artists who have actually been convicted of crimes they essentially confessed to in their songs.

I'm a hip hop head, but let's not act like hip hop artists haven't brought at least some of this heat on themselves.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Cant really find fault here...
    When Rappers want to call themselves thugs, talk about thug ? and promote a thug life you cant be mad when the public takes them at their word.

The powers been using this against them since hip hop became a thing....

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    is he wrong though?

About all rappers being thugs?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if anybody deserves the label of "so-called rap artist", its Troy Average
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they never use terms like ? /Earth or King/Queen when rappers are doing good ? in the community.

Bratton is supposed to be a professional. He doesn't have to use this language or say the things he does that are controversial. The public should be disturbed by his dog whistle language and generalizations.

His words do not do anything to help anyone. He is just signaling his racist and ignorant constituents that he will keep his foot on the necks of blacks, be they rappers or students who dress in a 'hip hop' style.

Stop looking for ways to be seen as reasonable by your enemies. They don't give a ? about you acknowledging the kernels of truth in their white supremacist rhetoric. His social commentary or opinions about 'rappers' should be rejected regardless of the behavior of a few 'rappers'.

"he's right you know" is an unacceptable response and people should expect more from their employees.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    they never use terms like ? /Earth or King/Queen when rappers are doing good ? in the community.

Bratton is supposed to be a professional. He doesn't have to use this language or say the things he does that are controversial. The public should be disturbed by his dog whistle language and generalizations.

His words do not do anything to help anyone. He is just signaling his racist and ignorant constituents that he will keep his foot on the necks of blacks, be they rappers or students who dress in a 'hip hop' style.

Stop looking for ways to be seen as reasonable by your enemies. They don't give a ? about you acknowledging the kernels of truth in their white supremacist rhetoric. His social commentary or opinions about 'rappers' should be rejected regardless of the behavior of a few 'rappers'.

"he's right you know" is an unacceptable response and people should expect more from their employees.

No one is trying to be seen as reasonable by anyone. It's just that not all of us believe this is a battle worth fighting. As has already been pointed out, a lot of rappers, especially the ones that have these types of incidents at their concerts refer to themselves as thugs or worse, so why should we be in uproar over this?
  • Brother_Five
    Options

No one is trying to be seen as reasonable by anyone. It's just that not all of us believe this is a battle worth fighting. As has already been pointed out, a lot of rappers, especially the ones that have these types of incidents at their concerts refer to themselves as thugs or worse, so why should we be in uproar over this?

You want to argue... about what? You are in favor of public officials using loaded language when discussing a public safety concern?

You are in favor of public officials using sloppy language and inflammatory rhetoric?

I dont understand.

How do the misdeeds of a few warrant broad generalizations and mischaracterizations? What good comes of this?

Troy Ave was wilding. What good comes from making statements about 'rappers' in general?

When a cop shoots an innocent citizen, do you hear/read statements from Bratton about the 'crazy world of so called cops who are basically thugs'?

? Troy Ave for being an idiot AND ? Bratton for trying to score political points off a tragedy.
    And ? any ? who cosigns his rhetoric.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited May 2016
    Options

You want to argue... about what? You are in favor of public officials using loaded language when discussing a public safety concern?

You are in favor of public officials using sloppy language and inflammatory rhetoric?

I dont understand.

How do the misdeeds of a few warrant broad generalizations and mischaracterizations? What good comes of this?

Troy Ave was wilding. What good comes from making statements about 'rappers' in general?

When a cop shoots an innocent citizen, do you hear/read statements from Bratton about the 'crazy world of so called cops who are basically thugs'?

? Troy Ave for being an idiot AND ? Bratton for trying to score political points off a tragedy.
    And ? any ? who cosigns his rhetoric.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just pointing out that you're purposely misrepresenting people's stances in here. No one is applauding Bratton for what he said. Some in here are just saying this isn't the incident that people should rally around. That's part of the problem these days. Everyone wants to go full force over every little thing and it ends up diluting the impact that people have when they stand up for something.

Also, there is no reason to misrepresent what he said either. He didn't say all rap artists are thugs. He was specifically talking about rappers who promote violence through his lyrics. You believe the guy is a ? , cool. But call him out on his actual shittiness, stop adding stuff of your own in and then bashing people for not jumping on your false flagging bandwagon.
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He aint lying

You got ? stanning some ? who is named young thug
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    I'm not sure how pointing out that Bratton is a racist pig who is using a tragedy as an opportunity to spout his coded racist language is "rallying" around anything.

And yes, agreeing with him in this instance, is akin to 'applauding' Bratton in my opinion.

His words are not only false, but they are inflammatory and unnecessary.

I'm disappointed that some pppl don't expect more from their public officials than name calling and generalizations.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I'm not sure how pointing out that Bratton is a racist pig who is using a tragedy as an opportunity to spout his coded racist language is "rallying" around anything.

And yes, agreeing with him in this instance, is akin to 'applauding' Bratton in my opinion.

His words are not only false, but they are inflammatory and unnecessary.

I'm disappointed that some pppl don't expect more from their public officials than name calling and generalizations.

I didn't accuse you of rallying around anything.

His words aren't false. At least not what he actually said. There are rappers who glorify violence. There are rappers who've lived certain lifestyles and push those lifestyles in their "music." His quote was referring specifically to those people. He didn't even refer to them as rappers. He called them "so-called rap artists." So if you take his words at face value, which is what people in here have been doing, there is nothing wrong with what he said. If you choose to read more into his words because of his history or word choice, that's fine. I can't say you're wrong for doing that, but you're talking reckless when attack other for not taking those same liberties with another person's words.
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    I guess if you ignore context and history and imagine his words have no ill intent or consequences...
    You can choose to agree with his sentiments.

Not I.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I guess if you ignore context and history and imagine his words have no ill intent or consequences...
    You can choose to agree with his sentiments.

Not I.

I just said the statement he made was not wrong. If you've followed dude and have good insight into his actual meaning and want to say it's deeper than just the words he used, that's fine. Like I said, I won't say you're wrong in that. I just think you're out of line to imply what you did about people who are taking his words at face value.
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    He's wrong, imo.
    If he was right, it's still inflammatory and unprofessional.