AZ >>>>>>>>>>> Jay-Z (Stop Using Popularity In Your Argument)

Options

Comments

• Mr 202
    Mr 202 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Mr 202 wrote: »
    First album ? loved me cos they thought I was poor, now that I'm successful the industry don't love me no more.

If Jay was broke with the same catalog and without the pop hits y'all ? will call him GOAT.
    Az is nice but not top tier.. There's only a selected few on that Level.

Cosign

AZ is nice and his Life's a ? verse is legendary. Doe or Die is as good as Reasonable Doubt, but there's something to be said about an MC that has the ability to break into pop culture without watering down his music, which Jay did flawlessly in the middle of his career. Blueprint 1 was a perfect balance between real, ? Hip Hop with a few radio singles.

Jay Z is an A list rapper, AZ, while I admit he's nice with the pen, isn't an A list rapper.

I'd bet most people in middle America don't even know who AZ is.

No, you're still using his popularity as a crutch to help him. If AZ did Money, Cash, Hoes y'all would laugh him off the block

You talking like Jay is drake.....this is a ? that gave you street is watching.what separates him from AZ and others is the simple fact that he can do everything they do on the microphone and still find a way to have commercial success. Something Az knows nothing about.when you are successful commercially it helps extend your career... Do you see fat joe every where now or not? Reason is because he has a smash hit.AZ never had one that's why he damn near had no rap career and I like him as a rapper
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »

Cosign

AZ is nice and his Life's a ? verse is legendary. Doe or Die is as good as Reasonable Doubt, but there's something to be said about an MC that has the ability to break into pop culture without watering down his music, which Jay did flawlessly in the middle of his career. Blueprint 1 was a perfect balance between real, ? Hip Hop with a few radio singles.

By his own admission Jay watered and dumbed down his music for mainstream success. His biggest selling album had two commercial singles One had the Annie Sample the other was a part of The Rush Hour Soundtrack.
    Jay Z is an A list rapper, AZ, while I admit he's nice with the pen, isn't an A list rapper.

So being known in middle america, having radio singles and mainstream success determines whose the better rapper now?

Whats the purpose of misquoting somebody on a message board when there's a "quote" button?

Jay Z made a bigger impact on mainstream America. Lyric for lyric and verse for verse its all a matter of opinion, but Jay Z had more commercial success. Its not like we're comparing MC Hammer's 10 million sales to Rakim's gold album. The difference is that lyrically Rakim can rap circles around MC Hammer whereas the difference between Jay Z and AZ is strictly a matter of opinion.

True Hip Hop heads could debate who's better between Jay Z and AZ but there's no dispute who made a bigger impact.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doe or die is not better or on the same level as RD, matter fact AZ's catalog is solid but underwhelming at the same time
  • Logic Last
    Logic Last Members Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cosign

By his own admission Jay watered and dumbed down his music for mainstream success. His biggest selling album had two commercial singles One had the Annie Sample the other was a part of The Rush Hour Soundtrack.

So being known in middle america, having radio singles and mainstream success determines whose the better rapper now?

Whats the purpose of misquoting somebody on a message board when there's a "quote" button?

Jay Z made a bigger impact on mainstream America. Lyric for lyric and verse for verse its all a matter of opinion, but Jay Z had more commercial success. Its not like we're comparing MC Hammer's 10 million sales to Rakim's gold album. The difference is that lyrically Rakim can rap circles around MC Hammer whereas the difference between Jay Z and AZ is strictly a matter of opinion.

True Hip Hop heads could debate who's better between Jay Z and AZ but there's no dispute who made a bigger impact.

AZ had a bigger impact on me. Justin Bieber had a bigger impact than Musiq Soulchild. So he better? I hate followers. I hate people who can't think independently.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    AZ is one of the few who's skills not only didn't deteriorate but probably got better over time, but that still doesn't change the fact that his catalog is not up to par with some of the greats
  • Logic Last
    Options
    AZ is one of the few who's skills not only didn't deteriorate but probably got better over time, but that still doesn't change the fact that his catalog is not up to par with some of the greats

AZ got four classic albums. He right there with Ghostface. Top ten.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Doe or die 2 haaaas to be groundbreaking imo, it can't be another undeniable or format, has to be ranked amongst the best AZ albums
  • juelz21
    juelz21 Members Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ok since nobody wants to make that argument for jay-z technically speaking

i will

jay-z has equal rhyme schemes to az but az is clearly better in that department but jay-z has better metaphors wordplay punchlines but az has a better flow then jay-z but jay-z better albums then az.
  • Logic Last
    Options
    Doe or die 2 haaaas to be groundbreaking imo, it can't be another undeniable or format, has to be ranked amongst the best AZ albums

Aziatic was fire too
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've never heard anyone say this ever, no diss to az but I've never ever heard this before
  • Lovebabois
    Lovebabois Members Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with TS.... AZ top 5 DOA
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lovebabois wrote: »

Lol
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Doe or die is not better or on the same level as RD, matter fact AZ's catalog is solid but underwhelming at the same time

Lets stop with the Revisionist history.. When both were released, Doe or Die was the bigger album, performed better commercially and had the better reviews than Resonable Doubt. AZ was the bigger more anticipated rapper then.

Doe or Die was hailed classic from the jump, most didn't view Reasonable Doubt as a classic, in fact it didn't start getting recognition until Jay said "Classic should have went Triple" on Blueprint.
  • Lovebabois
    Lovebabois Members Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    Options
    qawshun wrote: »
    Lovebabois wrote: »

Lol

Nasir
    Albert
    Kool G Rap
    AZ
    Styles P
  • its....JOHN B
    Options

Lets stop with the Revisionist history.. When both were released, Doe or Die was the bigger album, performed better commercially and had the better reviews than Resonable Doubt. AZ was the bigger more anticipated rapper then.

Doe or Die was hailed classic from the jump, most didn't view Reasonable Doubt as a classic, in fact it didn't start getting recognition until Jay said "Classic should have went Triple" on Blueprint.

Ok and which one stood the test of time? All that other ? doesn't matter he had a bigger buzz because of life's a ? but could never maintain that buzz or get out of Nas' shadow, Jay got a buzz and never looked back, and the one album there wasn't much buzz behind was his best one
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh I'm high as ? reading this thread.. .
  • Mr 202
    Mr 202 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Bruh I'm high as ? reading this thread.. .

Drink some water
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope. Jay's got him wherever you want to go with it: Flow, freestyle (off the top), bars, metaphors, word play, cadence, discography.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options

O.C. got a better catalog if you really want to talk about underrated
  • 3Hunna
    3Hunna Members Posts: 162
    Options
    No this a troll thread

Word Play - Jay Z (He's the best ever at this)
    Multi's - Jay Z
    Punchlines - Jay Z (He's the best at this)
    Metaphors - Jay Z
    Similie's - Jay Z
    Rhyme Schemes - Jay Z
    Flow - Jay Z

Hooks - Both weakness and neither sing

• SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I swear to u I said this........ In 96 my ? in 96!!!! Vividly remember I was aware of AZ first and loved how he laced his ? . When jay came around I was like oh he like AZ just not as good. Been known that
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah..
    but AZ >>> Nas tho..
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Logic Last wrote: »
    Jay generally is a notch or two above AZ with production because of his budget but I feel like AZ is actually a combination of Jay and Nas. Brooklyn swag, hustling but lyrical. His voice is unique more so than JayZ and his hooks are solid. Dude just couldn't get out of Nas shadow and couldn't fully switch to Jay's lane because his lyrical fans hate.

Being commercial came easy to AZ. Sugar Hill, Hey AZ, For The Love of Money. AZ just never invested in radio payola and Nas left him for dead.

Do or Die blows Reasonable Doubt out the water. Pieces of a Man is classic. However, it's true AZ has no Blueprint but Blueprint was mostly Kanye. IMO

We banning unpopular opinions? Y'all are ? and bandwagon followers.

Fukk you if you not feelin me.

I know hip hop more than you little twerps. Been on this board before you were born. Check the date you fakkots.

qve7mgj2odth.jpg
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay discography is not better than AZ, lyrical I think AZ got it, but it's close. Jay was just more commercial.