NYPD Gestapo Commissioner Bratton blames concert shooting on rap artists who are "thugs"…

Options

Comments

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    is he wrong though?

About all rappers being thugs?

I don't think it was said that all rappers were thugs.

A so-called rap artist who is a thug shot up the venue so the statement wasn't factually inaccurate.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they never use terms like ? /Earth or King/Queen when rappers are doing good ? in the community.

Bratton is supposed to be a professional. He doesn't have to use this language or say the things he does that are controversial. The public should be disturbed by his dog whistle language and generalizations.

His words do not do anything to help anyone. He is just signaling his racist and ignorant constituents that he will keep his foot on the necks of blacks, be they rappers or students who dress in a 'hip hop' style.

Stop looking for ways to be seen as reasonable by your enemies. They don't give a ? about you acknowledging the kernels of truth in their white supremacist rhetoric. His social commentary or opinions about 'rappers' should be rejected regardless of the behavior of a few 'rappers'.

"he's right you know" is an unacceptable response and people should expect more from their employees.

No one is trying to be seen as reasonable by anyone. It's just that not all of us believe this is a battle worth fighting. As has already been pointed out, a lot of rappers, especially the ones that have these types of incidents at their concerts refer to themselves as thugs or worse, so why should we be in uproar over this?

You want to argue... about what? You are in favor of public officials using loaded language when discussing a public safety concern?

You are in favor of public officials using sloppy language and inflammatory rhetoric?

I dont understand.

How do the misdeeds of a few warrant broad generalizations and mischaracterizations? What good comes of this?

Troy Ave was wilding. What good comes from making statements about 'rappers' in general?

When a cop shoots an innocent citizen, do you hear/read statements from Bratton about the 'crazy world of so called cops who are basically thugs'?

? Troy Ave for being an idiot AND ? Bratton for trying to score political points off a tragedy.
    And ? any ? who cosigns his rhetoric.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just pointing out that you're purposely misrepresenting people's stances in here. No one is applauding Bratton for what he said. Some in here are just saying this isn't the incident that people should rally around. That's part of the problem these days. Everyone wants to go full force over every little thing and it ends up diluting the impact that people have when they stand up for something.

Also, there is no reason to misrepresent what he said either. He didn't say all rap artists are thugs. He was specifically talking about rappers who promote violence through his lyrics. You believe the guy is a ? , cool. But call him out on his actual shittiness, stop adding stuff of your own in and then bashing people for not jumping on your false flagging bandwagon.
    Bratton is indirectly playing the race card. Don't understand? Next time the police ? a unarmed black kid dressed in "thug" attire, and america accepts it, you'll understand then. Its deeper than Troy Ave
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they never use terms like ? /Earth or King/Queen when rappers are doing good ? in the community.

Bratton is supposed to be a professional. He doesn't have to use this language or say the things he does that are controversial. The public should be disturbed by his dog whistle language and generalizations.

His words do not do anything to help anyone. He is just signaling his racist and ignorant constituents that he will keep his foot on the necks of blacks, be they rappers or students who dress in a 'hip hop' style.

Stop looking for ways to be seen as reasonable by your enemies. They don't give a ? about you acknowledging the kernels of truth in their white supremacist rhetoric. His social commentary or opinions about 'rappers' should be rejected regardless of the behavior of a few 'rappers'.

"he's right you know" is an unacceptable response and people should expect more from their employees.

No one is trying to be seen as reasonable by anyone. It's just that not all of us believe this is a battle worth fighting. As has already been pointed out, a lot of rappers, especially the ones that have these types of incidents at their concerts refer to themselves as thugs or worse, so why should we be in uproar over this?

You want to argue... about what? You are in favor of public officials using loaded language when discussing a public safety concern?

You are in favor of public officials using sloppy language and inflammatory rhetoric?

I dont understand.

How do the misdeeds of a few warrant broad generalizations and mischaracterizations? What good comes of this?

Troy Ave was wilding. What good comes from making statements about 'rappers' in general?

When a cop shoots an innocent citizen, do you hear/read statements from Bratton about the 'crazy world of so called cops who are basically thugs'?

? Troy Ave for being an idiot AND ? Bratton for trying to score political points off a tragedy.
    And ? any ? who cosigns his rhetoric.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just pointing out that you're purposely misrepresenting people's stances in here. No one is applauding Bratton for what he said. Some in here are just saying this isn't the incident that people should rally around. That's part of the problem these days. Everyone wants to go full force over every little thing and it ends up diluting the impact that people have when they stand up for something.

Also, there is no reason to misrepresent what he said either. He didn't say all rap artists are thugs. He was specifically talking about rappers who promote violence through his lyrics. You believe the guy is a ? , cool. But call him out on his actual shittiness, stop adding stuff of your own in and then bashing people for not jumping on your false flagging bandwagon.
    Bratton is indirectly playing the race card. Don't understand? Next time the police ? a unarmed black kid dressed in "thug" attire, and america accepts it, you'll understand then. Its deeper than Troy Ave

Yeah but mate someone was shot at a concert, let's not forget what led to the quote
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That 50 vs 50 cops and firefighter brawl didn't even make the news..
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cant really find fault here...
    When Rappers want to call themselves thugs, talk about thug ? and promote a thug life you cant be mad when the public takes them at their word.

The powers been using this against them since hip hop became a thing....

I mean, basically we coulda just closed this thread after this post.

There really aint nothin' left to say.

You got rappers who openly admit to being gang members and glorifying that lifestyle.

You almost expect there to be drama at a self-proclaimed "gangsta" concert.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's wrong, imo.
    If he was right, it's still inflammatory and unprofessional.

That's fair, and you're probably right.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

I don't agree with that. It's like someone said. A broken clock is still right twice a day. If dude was just pointing at some random black kids and making this comment or a random rapper even, you'd a point. But he's speaking directly about a rapper involved in a violent act who also happened to rap about violent ? . @Brother_Five says dude is a racist and is coming from a racist stance when he says this. Ok, I'll assume he's right. That doesn't change the fact that the letter of what he said has some merit even if the spirit of it is based on racism. This is one of those cases where in public you might be like "? that racist cracka" outside, but be like "He's got a point, some of these ? be wildin" behind closed doors.

Anyway, I'll let it go. Like I said, I'm not saying you dudes are wrong for thinking the way you do. I just don't think the other sides expressed in this thread were wrong either.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread remind me of that “black savage" thread.

Pea brained ? couldn't separate the criminal from the racist rhetoric for the life if them and swore it wasn't a fight worth fighting.

• Copper
    Options
    is he wrong though?

A so-called rap artist who is a thug shot up the venue so the statement wasn't factually inaccurate.
    He didn't say all rap artists are thugs. He was specifically talking about rappers who promote violence through his lyrics.

“The crazy world of the so-called rap artists who are basically thugs"
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If dumb ? didn't shoot up the concert, we wouldn't be here. Somebody died while just being out trying to have fun. Let's talk about that first... We can talk about that racist cop later.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    is he wrong though?

He didn't say all rap artists are thugs. He was specifically talking about rappers who promote violence through his lyrics.

Yes, the use of "so-called" means he's talking about a specific group that he doesn't believe to be actual rap artists but instead are thugs.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm on the fence wth this one, i mean that's the life that gets promoted in some music, that's the music they allow on the radio, that's the music that puts money in people pockets, that's what the labels sign so. You take a animal outta the jungle it's still an animal and will behave like one.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everybody in hip hop is saying this doesn't represent hip hop,....

Yet some one who is obviously anti hip hop is saying this is our culture, and y'all riding with him.....
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cant really find fault here...
    When Rappers want to call themselves thugs, talk about thug ? and promote a thug life you cant be mad when the public takes them at their word.

The powers been using this against them since hip hop became a thing....

Thread
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't agree with that. It's like someone said. A broken clock is still right twice a day. If dude was just pointing at some random black kids and making this comment or a random rapper even, you'd a point. But he's speaking directly about a rapper involved in a violent act who also happened to rap about violent ? . @Brother_Five says dude is a racist and is coming from a racist stance when he says this. Ok, I'll assume he's right. That doesn't change the fact that the letter of what he said has some merit even if the spirit of it is based on racism. This is one of those cases where in public you might be like "? that racist cracka" outside, but be like "He's got a point, some of these ? be wildin" behind closed doors.

Anyway, I'll let it go. Like I said, I'm not saying you dudes are wrong for thinking the way you do. I just don't think the other sides expressed in this thread were wrong either.
    Violence is violence. People killed each other in this country before hip hop ever existed. Bratton's picking and choosing what he wants to speak out exist. It's selective outrage
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Violence is violence. People killed each other in this country before hip hop ever existed. Bratton's picking and choosing what he wants to speak out exist. It's selective outrage

Yo I don't think anyone disagrees with that, or with the notion that he's a racist cracka or even that what he said is racist but he's talkin' about a self proclaimed thug shootin' someone at the concert of another self proclaimed thug. This is one of those times they love coz it's indefensible and they'll prolly all eat it up and say ? like this ? did.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Copper
    Options
    is he wrong though?

Yes, the use of "so-called" means he's talking about a specific group that he doesn't believe to be actual rap artists but instead are thugs.

Which group of rap artists do you think this white elderly NYPD commisioner bratton considers real rappers?

You think he got a playlist of conscious rappers he listens to while on the job?

What type of rap lyrics you think he prefers?
  • Copper
    Options

Yo I don't think anyone disagrees with that, or with the notion that he's a racist cracka or even that what he said is racist but he's talkin' about a self proclaimed thug shootin' someone at the concert of another self proclaimed thug. This is one of those times they love coz it's indefensible and they'll prolly all eat it up and say ? like this ? did.

No he's not...he's generalizing a whole group
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DWO wrote: »

Yet some one who is obviously anti hip hop is saying this is our culture, and y'all riding with him.....

C'mon, son. Aint nobody ridin' with this pig.

And don't nobody care what some old white cop thinks about hip hop.

Re-read his comment and tell me exactly what you disagree with.

Everybody in hip hop is saying this doesn't represent hip hop

Even the ones who openly brag about their gang ties and refer to themselves as thugs?

Some of these dudes need to make up their minds.

• Copper
    Options

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is why I can't take y'all serious sometimes. Y'all value what this white cop says over your own opinions and what should be the opinions of your people.

Troy Ave would call himself a thug, talks about thug and gangster ish in his songs, apparently shoots into a crowd.

But your fight isn't with him, it's with this guy... Because his words are hurtful...
  • Copper
    Options
    Troy ave is arrested the guy making inflammatory stereotypical remarks about an entire demographic is the leader of the NYPD who enforces rules that effect the people he's demonizing...

• fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hiphop is a former of entertainment. Just as films like American sniper are.....Oh wait!!

Double standard indeed.

So we get called thugs (which is really a PC, version of "? .") And guys that ? over 80 persons (acting as judge, jury, and executioner, because they were "bad guys") get called "heroes."

There is a reason most rappers are called "studio" gangsters. Illustrating the fact the Hiphop is an art form, meanwhile (culturally appropriating white rappers never get labeled as thugs, only "artists").

This Bratton guy must be running for higher office, because he's blowing the racist dog-whistle with this kind of demagoguery. I can't take him seriously when he publicly supported the cop who murdered Eric Garner, ON FILM.
    lol c'mon now, most of today's rap is far from any type of "art".
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are people so sensitive now? Why does that idiot cops opinion matter now? Man y'all ? couldn't have lived through the 80's when hiphop was REALLY GETTING ATTACKED. This little ? that's happening today ain't ? . Luke and ice-T wish that all they had to worry about was somebody calling them a thug. Imagine having to deal with a Tipper Gore, C. Delores Tucker, etc. It's dumb to get mad about this dude saying thug right now. Somebody died at a ? concert! I bet that cop could call the shooter a ? ass ? and the victims family wouldn't give a ? .