Options

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    DWO wrote: »
    Revisionist history or something like that, while I grew up in the 80's..... it was a different time in boxing's popularity.... People glamorize the past and overrate a lot of fighters from the 80's because that era was so well loved and boxing was one of the largest sports ..

But when it really comes down to it, a lot of those fighters compare to the talent level of any era, whether it's Floyd in his prime, Leonard, or even the guys of today....

Leonard wasn't levels above his competition like Floyd is, Leonard is right in the same class as hagler, hearns, and Duran as well as others..

Floyd is a class above all his competition his entire career.... And it's not cuz his era was weaker, his era was as good as any era, including the 80's..... boxing just wasn't as loved... But the talent is still there..

Floyd would have been a level above that era too.... Yes Leonard is stronger, but Floyd is the goat, he would have timed and took the strength advantage Leonard had away just like he neutralizes every one else....

You don't even believe the ? you just typed.

So overpowering Floyd is the only way Leonard could beat Floyd?

I'll give you Floyd could compete in any era but most of these so called top fighters today couldn't compete and yall know it. Andre Ward is the only other fighter I would confidently say could compete in any era.

Tell me who in Floyd's class is in the same class as Hagler, Hearns and Duran?

Naw riggy could. Crawford could jmm could Gonzalez could. I'll say this fighters back then had more heart and we're more skilled in cutting off the rung and fundamentals. But a lot of their inferior comp gets ignored cuz if it being top heavy.

Were they really? Or is that how our young minds and hearts remembered it???

That's like how as a kid I thought hulk Hogan and the ultimate warrior were the greatest wrestlers to ever live... Until I saw guys like Daniel Bryant and Seth Rollins leave them in the dust skill wise, but still never touch them popularity wise.....

Now that's not exactly the same cuz wrestling is all scripted, but my point is I think a lot of us remember things differently because of how impressionable we were as kids...

You put hagler hearns or Duran in today's boxing and they have virtually the exact same careers.... They not going to obliterate everybody, but they still going to be champs... Because they're very good talents.....

My whole point is Leonard fits in with them as well.... He's just leader of the pack.... Floyd is still a level above everyone else
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Roy shane forest quartey Hopkins Tobey Manny Morales Barrera Vasquez Tito

Of course Roy that goes without saying.

Shane not so much he would be a challenger though might even win a belt. IMO in that era Shane wouldn't have such a good run at 147 like he did. I could see him still be a top fighter at 135 like he was though. In that era he damn for sure not skipping over 140 to go straight to 147.

I respect Vernon Forest he would make some for sure noise.

I like Quartey but not sure.

B-Hop that ? but he would have tougher run that he did.

James Toney can fight in any era and be a top fighter no doubt.

I don't see such great runs for Manny, Morales and as much as I hate to say it Tito either. Definitely not saying they would be bums but I don't think their names would ring out like they do now.

Barrera I like a lot.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    If you don't think Oscar Shane and Manny are in the same class as hagler hearns and Duran....

You definitely romanticize the past.....

That's just like people who will never concede to anyone being in the same class as Jordan because he has a special place in their hearts..

Fans of a sport do this all the time....

You name any sport on the world and fans will always feel that the athletes of yesteryear were just better because they're the ones that sparked their love for the sport..
    It's understandable, just not accurate... and it makes conversations like these difficult to have..... ? really going to pretend Manny was just average like he's not today's almost equal counterpart of Roberto Duran... like mosely and Oscar in 2000 wasn't a super fight on par with anything that happened in the 80's talent and build up wise.....
    The only thing that hurts Floyd is beef with promoters that prevented certain cigars fights from happening sooner.... But look no further than Pryor and McCollum to see the same ? going on back then too....

Not romanticizing a damn thing. Stating my opinion. That if they fought prime for prime Duran beating the dog ? out of Manny. Hagler beating the dog ? out of De la Hoya. Hearns beating the dog ? out of Mosley.

If you don't agree cool.
  • D. Morgan
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Revisionist history or something like that, while I grew up in the 80's..... it was a different time in boxing's popularity.... People glamorize the past and overrate a lot of fighters from the 80's because that era was so well loved and boxing was one of the largest sports ..

But when it really comes down to it, a lot of those fighters compare to the talent level of any era, whether it's Floyd in his prime, Leonard, or even the guys of today....

Leonard wasn't levels above his competition like Floyd is, Leonard is right in the same class as hagler, hearns, and Duran as well as others..

Floyd is a class above all his competition his entire career.... And it's not cuz his era was weaker, his era was as good as any era, including the 80's..... boxing just wasn't as loved... But the talent is still there..

Floyd would have been a level above that era too.... Yes Leonard is stronger, but Floyd is the goat, he would have timed and took the strength advantage Leonard had away just like he neutralizes every one else....

I'll give you Floyd could compete in any era but most of these so called top fighters today couldn't compete and yall know it. Andre Ward is the only other fighter I would confidently say could compete in any era.

Naw riggy could. Crawford could jmm could Gonzalez could. I'll say this fighters back then had more heart and we're more skilled in cutting off the rung and fundamentals. But a lot of their inferior comp gets ignored cuz if it being top heavy.

Were they really? Or is that how our young minds and hearts remembered it???

That's like how as a kid I thought hulk Hogan and the ultimate warrior were the greatest wrestlers to ever live... Until I saw guys like Daniel Bryant and Seth Rollins leave them in the dust skill wise, but still never touch them popularity wise.....

Now that's not exactly the same cuz wrestling is all scripted, but my point is I think a lot of us remember things differently because of how impressionable we were as kids...

You put hagler hearns or Duran in today's boxing and they have virtually the exact same careers.... They not going to obliterate everybody, but they still going to be champs... Because they're very good talents.....

My whole point is Leonard fits in with them as well.... He's just leader of the pack.... Floyd is still a level above everyone else

Unless they fight each other if not them ? going undefeated. Only Hearns might take a loss but can't really think of who he would lose to right now.

To bold only in Floyd's era is he a class above everyone in the 80's era ? no.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rigo maybe. Crawford ain't fought nobody to say that for sure but I agree the potential is there. JMM I don't know I don't think he could hang with prime Sweet Pea, Chavez, Duran and Aaron Pryor.

You have to think fighters like Margarito, Mayorga, Berto, Baldomir is not getting any run or built up as good fighters in that era. Those would be fighters the elite in that era are fighting against on their way to the top not fights that would be put on ppv or the main event for a big HBO or Showtime cards.

I like the kid but no way is Danny Garcia getting a belt at 140 or 147 and considered a top flight challenger to the champs in that era.

I like the Floyd era don't get me wrong but was lacking plain and simple. Floyd was great no question or doubts about it. It's just a lot of people wouldn't be able make it or even be considered elite or p4p back then that are considered that now.

Garcia is on the level of chapo Rosario . Crawford is on the Donald curry. Dejesus level. Guys back then www fighting a bunch of baldomir and Margarito level guys folk just ignore it
  • aneed123
    Options

Shane not so much he would be a challenger though might even win a belt. IMO in that era Shane wouldn't have such a good run at 147 like he did. I could see him still be a top fighter at 135 like he was though. In that era he damn for sure not skipping over 140 to go straight to 147.

I don't see such great runs for Manny, Morales and as much as I hate to say it Tito either. Definitely not saying they would be bums but I don't think their names would ring out like they do now.

Barrera I like a lot.

Shane beats the ? outta Chavez at 140.
  • Dupac
    Options
    If you don't think Oscar Shane and Manny are in the same class as hagler hearns and Duran....

That's just like people who will never concede to anyone being in the same class as Jordan because he has a special place in their hearts..

You name any sport on the world and fans will always feel that the athletes of yesteryear were just better because they're the ones that sparked their love for the sport..
    It's understandable, just not accurate... and it makes conversations like these difficult to have..... ? really going to pretend Manny was just average like he's not today's almost equal counterpart of Roberto Duran... like mosely and Oscar in 2000 wasn't a super fight on par with anything that happened in the 80's talent and build up wise.....
    The only thing that hurts Floyd is beef with promoters that prevented certain cigars fights from happening sooner.... But look no further than Pryor and McCollum to see the same ? going on back then too....

Not romanticizing a damn thing. Stating my opinion. That if they fought prime for prime Duran beating the dog ? out of Manny. Hagler beating the dog ? out of De la Hoya. Hearns beating the dog ? out of Mosley.

If you don't agree cool.

Cool....

?
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Barrera I like a lot.

I'll give you that is quite possible
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Rigo maybe. Crawford ain't fought nobody to say that for sure but I agree the potential is there. JMM I don't know I don't think he could hang with prime Sweet Pea, Chavez, Duran and Aaron Pryor.

You have to think fighters like Margarito, Mayorga, Berto, Baldomir is not getting any run or built up as good fighters in that era. Those would be fighters the elite in that era are fighting against on their way to the top not fights that would be put on ppv or the main event for a big HBO or Showtime cards.

I like the kid but no way is Danny Garcia getting a belt at 140 or 147 and considered a top flight challenger to the champs in that era.

I like the Floyd era don't get me wrong but was lacking plain and simple. Floyd was great no question or doubts about it. It's just a lot of people wouldn't be able make it or even be considered elite or p4p back then that are considered that now.

Garcia is on the level of chapo Rosario . Crawford is on the Donald curry. Dejesus level. Guys back then www fighting a bunch of baldomir and Margarito level guys folk just ignore it

? wasn't for titles or on closed circuit tv(ppv of today). People (media and fans) actually had Margarito as the most feared/avoided man in boxing. When did a ? ass fighter like that back then get that type of status? People will always fight those types of guys but the status those guys have no they never had back then was my point.

I think Crawford could be better than Curry but hasn't proven it yet. Through not fault of his own. Postol is a decent start to get there.

I will say this if Crawford, Spence, Lubin, Andrade, J-Rock and few others max out their potential and all fight each in or very close to their primes they could very well be on the level.
  • aneed123
    Options

Barrera I like a lot.

He would give Duran and ray all they could handle at 135. He could best Pryor and aguello azumah Nelson all pickem fights. He is a great in any era. Back in the day the greats are put on a pedestal while the lesser guys get ignored and folk front like all the fighters were Duran ray level. Naw it was just more boxing and it was spread out
  • D. Morgan
    Options

If you don't agree cool.

Cool....

?

55c1ff07_dap-o.gif
  • aneed123
    Options
    I'm give u a good example. Back in the day all styles were appreciated. I'm huge Camacho fan. But I'd he fought today and was black not Rica he would be treated like Corey Spinks or riggy. Denied opportunities for greatness and called boring.
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Barrera I like a lot.

He would give Duran and ray all they could handle at 135. He could best Pryor and aguello azumah Nelson all pickem fights. He is a great in any era. Back in the day the greats are put on a pedestal while the lesser guys get ignored and folk front like all the fighters were Duran ray level. Naw it was just more boxing and it was spread out

Disagree Mosley can't make adjustments if his game plan wasn't working he didn't adjust he went harder at doing the same ? thats not working.

2nd bold I don't do that but I get what you saying.

I wouldn't even say it was more boxing I would say the elites fought each more often cause that was the only way there were going to get big money. Even adjusted for inflation Leonard being the 80's money man wasn't going make the 80's equivalent of 25+mill for a fight against people like Berto and Ortiz.
  • aneed123
    Options

Barrera I like a lot.

Disagree Mosley can't make adjustments if his game plan wasn't working he didn't adjust he went harder at doing the same ? thats not working.

I wouldn't even say it was more boxing I would say the elites fought each more often cause that was the only way there were going to get big money. Even adjusted for inflation Leonard being the 80's money man wasn't going make the 80's equivalent of 25+mill for a fight against people like Berto and Ortiz.

At that lower weight Mosley was meldrick Taylor with power. He could sleep Duran if he caught him flush.
  • Dupac
    Options
    Mosely was phenomenal at 135... Arguably an all time talent....
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Barrera I like a lot.

At that lower weight Mosley was meldrick Taylor with power. He could sleep Duran if he caught him flush.

Duran ain't have that chin issue until he moved to 147 and got hit by Hearns. Who we all know had a hell of a right hand.

Let's say thats true for the sake of this good convo. I would say if that doesn't happen Duran is washing Mosley.
  • aneed123
    Options

Barrera I like a lot.

Duran ain't have that chin issue until he moved to 147 and got hit by Hearns. Who we all know had a hell of a right hand.

Let's say thats true for the sake of this good convo. I would say if that doesn't happen Duran is washing Mosley.

IDK. Cuz it would be a war of attrition not Duran putting in a boxing clinic. I remember Duran's comments on not wanting to fight Pryor.... he a monster meaning I don't want to go to war. He and Mosley is a war
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Barrera I like a lot.

IDK. Cuz it would be a war of attrition not Duran putting in a boxing clinic. I remember Duran's comments on not wanting to fight Pryor.... he a monster meaning I don't want to go to war. He and Mosley is a war

I like Duran for the win but 135 is both of them best weight IMO especially for Duran. A case could be made for Mosley at 147. I just think Mosley had bigger fights at 147 but he looked better at 135 to me.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Duran being underrated a bit, Mosley is a tad too stiff and robotic to deal with Duran who was a lot more versatile than given credit for. Mosley had serious pop at 135 but Hearns like pop I cant cosign. In a 15 rounder Duran stops him in 12.
  • D. Morgan
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Do yall agree with the bold at the end of the article????

Julian Williams: After I Beat Jermall Charlo, I Want 'Better' Jermell

IBF #1 ranked super welterweight contender Julian "J Rock" Williams (22-0-1, 14KOs) wasn't very impressed with IBF champion Jermall Charlo's recent twelve round decision victory over Austin Trout two weeks ago. Charlo started off fast before fading at the end of the Showtime televised bout.

With the IBF ordering Jermall to face Williams next, the Philadelphia native was ringside for the fight at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas.

Trout was the most experienced opponent of Jermall's career and the win raised his record to 24-0 with 18 knockouts. Williams feels the record looks good on paper, but it's padded up with overmatched opponents.

"Jermall Charlo isn't nothing special. He has a lot of fabricated knockouts. He's fought a lot of fat, blown up welterweights and junior middleweights. I think that Jermall is just an okay fighter," Williams told BoxingScene.com.

Williams does think more highly of Jermall's twin brother Jermell, who became a champion on the same card when he stopped John Jackson to capture the vacant WBC super welterweight title.

While Jermall has the flashier record due to his knockout percentage, Williams feels Jermell is a superior fighter with a 28-0 record and 13 knockouts.

After facing Jermall, Williams said he would like to face his twin brother to snatch up his title as well. Jermall has a WBC unification due against mandatory challenger Charles Hatley which is likely going to happen before the year is out.

"Jermell is way better. It isn't even close. My plan is to beat Jermall and then hopefully unify with Jermell. I've been telling people for a long time that Jermell is the better of the two fighters," said Williams.
  • aneed123
    Options
    He is right. The boxer charlo is better cuz he uses his jab counters better and now is showing he has power 2 cuz he sitting down on his shots more. It's a shame j rock Charlo bros andrade all never will get a canelo fight
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    He is right. The boxer charlo is better cuz he uses his jab counters better and now is showing he has power 2 cuz he sitting down on his shots more. It's a shame j rock Charlo bros andrade all never will get a canelo fight

One of them might get it but I wouldn't doubt that none of them fight him either.
  • Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J Rock solid, i aint ? wit him at first, but hes cool...i'll take him over both Charlos..
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't pick either Charlo over Canelo. They werent particularly impressive last time out.

Andrade would be a better match up vs Canelo. It could happen if Canelo is content with staying at 154 at some point.

• D. Morgan
    Options
    I'm give u a good example. Back in the day all styles were appreciated. I'm huge Camacho fan. But I'd he fought today and was black not Rica he would be treated like Corey Spinks or riggy. Denied opportunities for greatness and called boring.

I missed this post yesterday.

All styles not being appreciated is part of whats ? up boxing. Cause its a lot of commentators who ? on fighters who fight in the style that they want them too.

In no other sport are the athletes asked by commentators or fans to go against their best attributes and skills to get the win.

I talk about this ? all the time.