Cuba willing to give up American fugitives to USA for Cuban spy. USA wants Assata Shakur....

Options
d.green
d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
Obama's boys want Assata Shakur in this prisoner swap.
SMH

Hope Ms Assata leaves Cuba and gets to Africa or another country that will grant her PA.

Cuba Wants Convicted Spy Released in U.S. Prisoner Swap

Cuba and the United States are discussing possible exchanges of prisoners, including the release of a woman considered one of the most damaging spies in recent history, U.S. officials told NBC News.

The discussions, said to be in their early stages, are part of efforts by the two countries toward normalization of diplomatic relations.

Among the names floated by Cuban leaders, officials say, is Ana Montes, convicted in 2002 of spying for the Cuban government for nearly two decades while working for the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency.

Montes was sentenced to 25 years in prison and is due to be released in 2023.

For their part, American officials say the U.S. is interested in getting back Americans who sought refuge in Cuba from U.S. prosecution.

"Cuba has been a haven for U.S. fugitives," said one federal law enforcement official.

Among those U.S. officials would like back is Joanne Chesimard (Assata Shakur), who escaped from a New Jersey prison in 1979 where she was serving a life sentence for killing a state trooper by shooting him with his own gun at a traffic stop.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/u-s-cuba-relations/cuba-wants-convicted-spy-released-u-s-prisoner-swap-n585601

Comments

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Once Cuba and US relations got better over the last couple of years, I knew something like this was going to happen....I hope she is able o make it to another country that grants her political asylum
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    welp its only a matter of time
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The last I recall...........
    Why Cuba will never send Assata Shakur to the U.S.

http://www.essence.com/2015/03/05/cuba-says-returning-assata-shakur-us-off-the-table

Despite improved relations between the United States and Cuba, Cuban officials have no plans to turn American fugitive Assata Shakur over to the U.S.

President Obama announced in December that the two countries have restored relations, even releasing political prisoners from both sides. But, the chances that Cuba will agree to turn over Shakur are slim. Earlier this week, Gustavo Machin, deputy director for American affairs at the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told Yahoo! News, "I can say it is off the table. There are very serious doubts about that case. We consider that a politically motivated case against that lady."
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4y5dvbyj88fd.png
    a0qzc8kk8ld6.png
    Time to make travel arrangements
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is this the result of Obamas trip to Cuba?

Must be 2 sides...
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    can Obama pardon her???? will he pardon her???
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4y5dvbyj88fd.png
    a0qzc8kk8ld6.png
    Time to make travel arrangements

U think. Cuba just gonna let her go right now?
    If shes smart, she would of left, when they sent Jay and "Angela Davis" I mean Beyonce over there.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    better Montes stay in jail in the US than go back just over Shakur. not worth it.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Assata was the first person that crossed my mind when i heard about the opening of relations with Cuba. Obama is the type of dude to go out of his way to sell Assata out. He is the same guy who gave us the beer summit.
    Beer-summit_cheers.jpg
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Only way she leaving that island now is if they get her now she's been on the run to long they won't let her get away again.

• d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    can Obama pardon her???? will he pardon her???

Mutulu Shakur did his 30 and they still holding him....so i doubt it.

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    shitload of African nations have no extradition treaty with the US. Assata need to sneak her ass off that island and get on a plane to one of them. Truthfully she shoulda been outta Cuba tho. High tail it to Eritrea or Ethiopia or some ? .
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who is the Cuban spy they speak of that all of a sudden appeared out of nowhere
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    who is the Cuban spy they speak of that all of a sudden appeared out of nowhere
    Montes spied for 17 years, patiently, methodically. She passed along so many secrets about her colleagues — and the advanced eavesdropping platforms that American spooks had covertly installed in Cuba — that intelligence experts consider her among the most harmful spies in recent memory. But Montes, now 56, did not deceive just her nation and her colleagues. She also betrayed her brother Tito, an FBI special agent; her former boyfriend Roger Corneretto, an intelligence officer for the Pentagon specializing in Cuba; and her sister, Lucy, a 28-year veteran of the FBI who has won awards for helping to unmask Cuban spies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/feature/wp/2013/04/18/ana-montes-did-much-harm-spying-for-cuba-chances-are-you-havent-heard-of-her/

Her story needs a movie. She wasn't even Cuban. If it wasn't for Sept 11th, she would have kept it going. I don't see how Assata is comparable to her in terms of their actions.

Ana%20Montes1364404571.JPG

• mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope that lady lives all her days as a free woman. All of em.....

"The United States continues to seek the return from Cuba of fugitives from U.S. justice. The Department repeatedly raises fugitive cases with the Cuban government and will continue to do so at every appropriate opportunity."

Oh, I'm sure they will keep doing so. I wonder how Assata felt when Barry recently went over there for that "Change" junk and/or was her freedom going to be a part of that.....
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Okay so most likely he won't pardon her but I still hope he does because I would like that old lady to live out the rest of her life without the threat of jail hanging over her head... besides to us and the righteous thinking people of the world she will always be innocent anyway