Life After...
    5 Grand wrote: »
    _Lefty wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    That whole talk about life after death or even 7 day theory being hyped cause their deaths are weak. If it was true, the hype would've been dead or atleast dying but yet 20 years later they still as acclaimed as they first were

I didn't see any hype for Easy E's 1996 album and that was after he died, Yeah Baby by Pun got no hype, Big L's album, Proof's album, ? C's album. But let them tell it, Life After Death was only critically acclaimed because he died.

Yea, but big and pac played out like a soap opera. That was a wild time. No other deaths in hip hop was met with so much drama. I ain't even know pun was dead for a few days, when big got hit, no internet, no social media. I knew the same night. It was like when pac died, you just knew big was on borrowed time. It was in the air. You just knew. Crazy, crazy time, that explains the hype. The two albums are still super nice regardless.

If Life After Death was mediocre or solid at best, no amount of east/west drama or death would catapult LAD to the status it has today (despite some of you ? trying y'all hardest to discredit Big's legacy) Snoop was also a big part of the east/west feud and that drama didn't elevate the Doggfather album at all.

Snoop is still alive, and snoop was an also-ran ass ? in that beef. When pac came, snoop got his tall ass put in the back seat. When snoop's album dropped ? still thought pac was alive lol, we was still tryin to figure out that "suge shot me" ? , wasn't nobody thinkin bout snoop. I was actually agreeing with you for real tho. But their deaths and the nature of them and what surrounded them is what led to the hype, but even if there was no hype, those albums are still certified in my book.

Snoop was a big name at the time. Snoop went on stage at the Source Awards and gave his famous speech, Snoop got his trailer shot up on the set of NY, NY. Snoop famously kicking down NYC buildings. It's quite ignorant to say Snoop was an also ran ass ? in the beef. Dre, Suge and Puff are alive today so does that make them also ran ? in the beef too?

In the country's eye, yes. ? was all about, big, pac, puff, and suge. The headlines belonged to those 4. Everybody else was collateral. Snoop coulda dropped illmatic and it wouldn't have made noise like that. Tupac's death had the world fascinated. BIG's album got hyped anyway, but it was as got much more recognition behind his death. Had nothing to do with the quality, had he lived, I'm pretty sure I would hold it at the same level, I listened to long kiss goodnight as I typed the last post, his flow was disgusting, no beef could add or subtract from that fact.

Nosign.

The Fugees sold 6X Platinum in 1996
    Will Smith sold 9X Platinum in 1997

The Fugees and Will Smith were outselling Pac and Big so its revisionist history to say it was all about Puff, Suge, Big and Pac.

Fugees was on another level, and though it was hip hop, it was just, another place, sorta like drake. They had textbook crossovers hits, Ms hill took them to another stratosphere. Will smith was hip hop, but he wasn't selling records because he was dope. It's like askin who came up the most out the hood, then including your cousin that went to college and became a hedge fund manager. He's from out here, but he ain't blow up the same as we did. When it came to east and west, and traditional hip hop, pac and big was carryin the show in 96, mostly pac. For the love of ? , if I have to say the quality of the albums was seperate from the hype one more time..... It contributed to initial sales, but the quality held its own despite the drama.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kendrick LOL

I'm outta here

Bruh someone on the Reason not that long ago said Kendrick was better than BIG
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Life After...
    Anyways lol @? running around bumping "I need another man in my life" calling this ? better than Blueprint

LMAO I never sang that part, EVER
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blueprint
    Kendrick LOL

I'm outta here

He is.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Kendrick LOL

I'm outta here

He is.

Sure thing G
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Life After...
    That whole talk about life after death or even 7 day theory being hyped cause their deaths are weak. If it was true, the hype would've been dead or atleast dying but yet 20 years later they still as acclaimed as they first were

I didn't see any hype for Easy E's 1996 album and that was after he died, Yeah Baby by Pun got no hype, Big L's album, Proof's album, ? C's album. But let them tell it, Life After Death was only critically acclaimed because he died.

Yea, but big and pac played out like a soap opera. That was a wild time. No other deaths in hip hop was met with so much drama. I ain't even know pun was dead for a few days, when big got hit, no internet, no social media. I knew the same night. It was like when pac died, you just knew big was on borrowed time. It was in the air. You just knew. Crazy, crazy time, that explains the hype. The two albums are still super nice regardless.

If Life After Death was mediocre or solid at best, no amount of east/west drama or death would catapult LAD to the status it has today (despite some of you ? trying y'all hardest to discredit Big's legacy) Snoop was also a big part of the east/west feud and that drama didn't elevate the Doggfather album at all.

Snoop is still alive, and snoop was an also-ran ass ? in that beef. When pac came, snoop got his tall ass put in the back seat. When snoop's album dropped ? still thought pac was alive lol, we was still tryin to figure out that "suge shot me" ? , wasn't nobody thinkin bout snoop. I was actually agreeing with you for real tho. But their deaths and the nature of them and what surrounded them is what led to the hype, but even if there was no hype, those albums are still certified in my book.

Snoop was a big name at the time. Snoop went on stage at the Source Awards and gave his famous speech, Snoop got his trailer shot up on the set of NY, NY. Snoop famously kicking down NYC buildings. It's quite ignorant to say Snoop was an also ran ass ? in the beef. Dre, Suge and Puff are alive today so does that make them also ran ? in the beef too?

In the country's eye, yes. ? was all about, big, pac, puff, and suge. The headlines belonged to those 4. Everybody else was collateral. Snoop coulda dropped illmatic and it wouldn't have made noise like that. Tupac's death had the world fascinated. BIG's album got hyped anyway, but it was as got much more recognition behind his death. Had nothing to do with the quality, had he lived, I'm pretty sure I would hold it at the same level, I listened to long kiss goodnight as I typed the last post, his flow was disgusting, no beef could add or subtract from that fact.

Nosign.

The Fugees and Will Smith were outselling Pac and Big so its revisionist history to say it was all about Puff, Suge, Big and Pac.

Fugees was on another level, and though it was hip hop, it was just, another place, sorta like drake. They had textbook crossovers hits, Ms hill took them to another stratosphere. Will smith was hip hop, but he wasn't selling records because he was dope. It's like askin who came up the most out the hood, then including your cousin that went to college and became a hedge fund manager. He's from out here, but he ain't blow up the same as we did. When it came to east and west, and traditional hip hop, pac and big was carryin the show in 96, mostly pac. For the love of ? , if I have to say the quality of the albums was seperate from the hype one more time..... It contributed to initial sales, but the quality held its own despite the drama.

But the Fugees outsold Pac in 96.

And Big didn't have an album out in 96.

To be honest, it wasn't even a beef/battle. Dogg Pound made a video with Snoop kicking down buildings and then 2Pac was talking a lot of trash and Mobb Deep responded. Thats all that happened. Big didn't have anything to do with it. Neither did Puff.

That whole East/West beef was really just between 2Pac and Mobb Deep. Notorious BIG and Puff Daddy didn't even get involved.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blueprint
    Biggie is just overrated to me. He had one main flow he used, he had a lot of quotables and he knew how to make some popular songs but if he didn't die I don't think he would be in the goat conversation. He's in my top 20. He wasn't a supreme lyricist, his content was pretty limited, he had no work ethic. He wasn't the best at anything he did. People just love him because he "brought the east coast back". It is what it is.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Life After...

Nosign.

But the Fugees outsold Pac in 96.

And Big didn't have an album out in 96.

To be honest, it wasn't even a beef/battle. Dogg Pound made a video with Snoop kicking down buildings and then 2Pac was talking a lot of trash and Mobb Deep responded. Thats all that happened. Big didn't have anything to do with it. Neither did Puff.

That whole East/West beef was really just between 2Pac and Mobb Deep. Notorious BIG and Puff Daddy didn't even get involved.

Why did ya'll flag and nosign me?

It was no battle between Big and Pac, it was just 2Pac making records dissing Biggie and Big didn't respond. He threw a few subliminals but he didn't go all out.

Its like sneaking up on somebody from behind and jumping him and calling it "a fight". Thats not a fight.

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Life After...

We not talking about the same country then. The major players in the beef were Pac, Biggie, Puffy, Suge, Dre and Snoop. Those were the major players, then you had the minor players like Doggpound, Mobb Deep, Nas and Jay Z.

Disagree with Dre at the height of the beef he was on it was written calling the beef ? and saying lets get this money and Pac was on Makaveli saying this is California love pt 2 without ? ass Dre, I would call him a minor player he was just there making good music

He was apart of it in the beginning
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Life After...
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Biggie is just overrated to me. He had one main flow he used, he had a lot of quotables and he knew how to make some popular songs but if he didn't die I don't think he would be in the goat conversation. He's in my top 20. He wasn't a supreme lyricist, his content was pretty limited, he had no work ethic. He wasn't the best at anything he did. People just love him because he "brought the east coast back". It is what it is.

Agree Biggie is around top 20 but Big is a better rapper than Jay.

• the ghost
    the ghost Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Life After...
    Blueprint has 2 of the worst songs I've heard from Jay in Jigga that ? and Hola Hovito.

Plus Mf's are still trying to figure out who I got a story to tell was about, well Dan Le Batard is.
  • juelz21
    juelz21 Members Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭
    Options
    jigga easily blueprint there are songs life after death i would take off.
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blueprint
    I LOVE both albums, but I went with my gut of what I would rather listen too personally, and Blueprint just aged better to me.

Life After Death is the best hip hop double album ever IMO, but sometimes I start playing it, and I don't want to hear some of them tracks anymore.

Plus Jay didn't have a dud like "Another" on The Blueprint.
  • NuffRespect
    NuffRespect Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stillmatic is better then every Jay album