Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
By Wilborn P. Nobles III, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on June 22, 2016 at 4:48 PM, updated June 23, 2016 at 6:30 AM

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/06/jefferson_parish_deputy_killed.html

What started as a pedestrian stop in Harvey's Pebble Walk neighborhood ended in the fatal shooting of a Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office deputy Wednesday afternoon (June 22), a JPSO spokesman said.

David F. Michel Jr. was repeatedly shot while on duty by the unidentified suspect near the intersection of Manhattan Boulevard and Ascot Road, JPSO spokesman Col. John Fortunato said. Many people in nearby offices saw deputies swarm the area and Pebble Walk in search of the gunman as the Sheriff's Office's helicopter circled overheard. Authorities eventually caught the suspect during the manhunt. Fortunato said witness accounts indicate the suspect acted alone.

Michel was driving a department-assigned black Dodge Charger when he stopped the suspect, who was walking near Manhattan and Ascot, authorities said. It is not clear why Michel initiated the stop. Michel's vehicle was parked in the entrance to the parking lot of a strip mall in the 2400 block of Manhattan Boulevard.

The deputy was shot around 12:21 p.m. along Manhattan Boulevard.

JPSO cited witnesses who described seeing a scuffle erupt between Michel and the male suspect. At some point in their interaction, the suspect withdrew a gun from his waistband and repeatedly shot the deputy around 12:21 p.m. The suspect shot Michel three times in his back, the Jefferson Parish corner said. He then fled into Pebble Walk, Fortunato said.

"The suspect fired several shots, including when the officer was down," Fortunato said.

Minutes later, Michel, 50, was rushed to University Medical Center in New Orleans by ambulance. New Orleans Police Department spokesman Aaron ? said NOPD aided JPSO in clearing the route by managing traffic for the deputy, who arrived at 12:45 p.m. Michel died from his injuries less than an hour later.

Victoria Le, whose office is in the Manhattan Boulevard strip mall adjacent to the shooting, said neither she nor her co-workers overheard the gunshots. She said they witnessed the rush of Sheriff's Office vehicles and sirens as deputies responded to help Michel. Some vehicles even sped through their parking lot, she said.

268012958001_4973927781001_4973792914001-vs.jpg?pubId=268012958001

A swift reaction followed Michel's fatal shooting as law enforcement and the deputy's loved ones rushed to the hospital. Among those present was a sobbing woman related to Michel, said Rose Harper.

"It makes me want to cry," Harper said while leaving the emergency room.

Michel become a reserve deputy at JPSO in 2007 before a promotion to full-time deputy in 2014, JPSO said. Chief Deputy Craig Taffaro said he spoke with the deputy's father after the shooting, telling Taffaro that "as difficult as this is," his son was "doing what he loved to do."

Stay with NOLA.com for more on this breaking story.

jpso-deputy-david-michel-jr-b08f1485d3e30761.jpg
Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Deputy David Michel Jr., 50, of Marrero, was fatally shot Wednesday, June 22, 2016, while conducting a "pedestrian stop" near the intersection in Manhattan Boulevard and Ascot Road in Harvey, JPSO officials said. (Courtesy of JPSO)

Let dear ole Rex translate, so this muthafucka was out here ? ' with people, (it was probably quota time,) the pig pulls up on some unsuspecting citizen and catches a bad one. It was obvious that the citizen was fearing for his life and only did what a ? ass cop would have did in a similar situation and defended himself. That's good for that ? ass cop, he shouldn't been out here ? ' with people. Though I am curious as to the race of the shooter considering his photo hasn't been released as of yet.

Comments

• _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let dear ole Rex translate, so this muthafucka was out here ? ' with people, (it was probably quota time,) the pig pulls up on some unsuspecting citizen and catches a bad one. It was obvious that the citizen was fearing for his life and only did what a ? ass cop would have did in a similar situation and defended himself. That's good for that ? ass cop, he shouldn't been out here ? ' with people. Though I am curious as to the race of the shooter considering his photo hasn't been released as of yet.

Stormfront grade commentary right there.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Maximus Rex
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Grandmother of Jefferson Parish deputy's accused killer: 'Jerman is not that boy'

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/06/jefferson_parish_deputy_killed.html

-c635756fae6edbc6.JPG
    Abrel Smith, a police officer with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, kneels down in prayer at the intersection of Manhattan Boulevard and Ascot Road in Harvey near where Jefferson Parish Sheriff's deputy David Michel Jr. was fatally shot on Wednesday, June 22, 2016. (Photo by Brett Duke, Nola.com | The Times-Picayune)

11864722.png

By Jonathan Bullington, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
    Follow on Twitter
    on June 23, 2016 at 3:00 PM, updated June 24, 2016 at 1:41 AM

Yvette Neveaux was near the end of her workday Wednesday (June 22) when a customer came in talking about a police officer having just been shot on Manhattan Boulevard in Harvey.

A few hours later, 10 or so Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputies – one holding a picture of her grandson Jerman Neveaux -- pounded on her front door. There had been "an incident" on Manhattan Boulevard, she heard the deputies say as they spent about an hour searching through her family's Gretna home.

"That's when I put two and two together," Neveaux, 52, said by phone Thursday, a day after Jefferson Parish authorities identified Jerman Neveaux as the person responsible for what Sheriff Newell Normand called the "cold-blooded murder" of deputy David Michel Jr.

Authorities said Jerman Neveaux, 19, shot the deputy three times during a pedestrian stop. Michel was pronounced dead at a hospital. The teenager was arrested Wednesday and charged with first-degree murder Thursday.

"I know my child didn't do this," Yvette Neveaux said of the moment deputies came to her house. "But I knew I had to hold it in because they're not going to feel sympathy for me, because that's their officer who got killed."

'More of a follower'

Jerman Neveaux returned to his native New Orleans last year after moving with his mother and two younger sisters to Arlington, Texas, his grandmother said. His mother, frustrated with his disobedience, hoped the move would help rid him of friends she thought were a bad influence, Neveaux said.

In New Orleans, however, Jerman Neveaux's behavior continued. He was arrested Feb. 9 for possessing a stolen firearm, Orleans Parish court records show, and pleaded guilty last week to a misdemeanor charge of possessing stolen things. He was sentenced to six months of inactive probation.

He was scheduled to return to Orleans Parish court June 27 for an arraignment hearing on a charge of contributing to the delinquency of juveniles.

Neveaux said her grandson's troubles stemmed from the company he kept.

"He is more of a follower than a leader," she said. "He does not have the mind of a 19 year old. He has the mind of a 12 year old. He says he understands but he doesn't understand."

[img]https://scontent-ord1-1.? .fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p526x296/11043039_856141171111646_1916781525810725143_n.jpg?oh=c2bb3b175693b372fdc73769d41f8779&oe=57FC9DB4[/img]

Jerman Neveaux lived with his paternal grandmother and with aunts in the year since he returned to New Orleans, Neveaux said.

"We tried telling him, the road he was going down, following these guys he was with, was not the right path for him," she said. "I used to tell him all the time, 'You don't need friends. All you need is one friend you can rely on, and who has your back and won't put you in jeopardy.'"

For the last two weeks, he moved in with Neveaux and her husband in Gretna.

"I felt like over here, there's really no transportation, so it's hard for him to get around," she said. "I felt like all the people he was hanging with were on the east bank."

'The wrong person'

Neveaux said her grandson was unemployed, but she was talking to neighbors and friends about trying to find him a job at Wal-Mart or at a Dollar Store near their house.

Jerman Neveaux was sleeping when his grandmother left for work around dawn Wednesday. He was gone when she and her husband got home from work later that afternoon. Her 14-year-old granddaughter, in town visiting from Texas, told her Jerman left, Neveaux said. But her granddaughter didn't know where he was going or whether he was with anyone else.

Jefferson Parish authorities say Michel, 50, spotted Jerman Neveaux around 12:20 p.m., walking closely behind a nervous looking man near Manhattan Boulevard and Ascot Road.

Michel, a nearly 10-year veteran of the sheriff's office, stopped Jerman Neveaux and tried to search him, Normand said. But the teen turned and, gun in hand, reached over Michel's back, Normand said, firing one shot into the deputy's clavicle area. Jerman Neveaux then fired two more shots into Michel's back as both fell to the ground.

An ambulance rushed Michel to University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. Authorities said they later caught Jerman Neveaux in the 1500 block of London Cross road in Harvey. The arrest was recorded on video, which appears to show at least two officers punching him several times, with one of the officers appearing to hit him about 10 times or more.

Normand said his office is aware of the video and is examining the circumstances of the arrest.

Jerman Neveaux was taken to University Medical Center for treatment of injuries that include a fracture to the bone in his eye socket, authorities said.

"I'm confused. They tell me he's in the hospital (and) nobody can see him," Yvette Neveaux said. "Why can't we see him? Because (deputies) beat the ? out of him?"

Authorities booked Jerman Neveaux with first-degree murder, aggravated assault with a firearm, battery of a police officer and resisting arrest. He admitted to shooting Michel, Normand said, because he had a gun on him and didn't want to go back to jail.

"So he killed a deputy," Normand said at a press conference Wednesday night. "What do you say about that?"

Neveaux said her grandson's mother was heading to New Orleans on Thursday, and family would gather to find an attorney.

"They grabbed the wrong person," Neveaux said of the accusations against her grandson. "When something like this goes on, everybody wants to say this is the person. Jerman is not that boy."

Staff writers Michelle Hunter and Ben Myers contributed.

-b3b9668d0bf1fddb.JPG
    Jerman Neveaux, a 19-year-old New Orleans man was arrested in the fatal shooting of a Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputy on Wednesday (June 22), JPSO Sheriff Newell Normand said. (Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office photo)
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    Questions of excessive force surround arrest of suspect in deputy's killing

1731.png

By Michelle Hunter, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
    Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on June 23, 2016 at 7:26 PM, updated June 24, 2016 at 7:53 AM

Cellphone video recorded of the arrest of the suspect accused of fatally shooting a Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office deputy has led to questions about whether excessive force was used to take him into custody. Sheriff Newell Normand said his department is investigating the matter.

"We always want to do things the right way," he said. "I don't tolerate doing things the wrong way."

Jerman Neveaux, 19, of New Orleans, remained hospitalized Thursday evening at University Medical Center following his arrest in the death of Detective David Michel Jr., 50. Neveaux is accused of shooting Michel three times in the back after the deputy stopped him as he was walking near Manhattan Boulevard and Ascot Road in Harvey around 12:20 p.m. Wednesday (June 22).

Michel, a nine-year veteran of the department, was pronounced dead shortly after he arrived at University Medical Center. Neveaux ran into the nearby Pebble Walk neighborhood. Following a brief search, deputies took him into custody in the backyard of a townhouse in the 1500 block of London Cross Road, about five blocks from the scene of the shooting.

The cellphone video, which was obtained by our news partners at Fox 8 News, was recorded from an upstairs window of a neighboring apartment.

A woman who answered the door at that neighboring apartment on Thursday morning said she did not record the video but did witness part of the arrest.

The woman was asleep when she woke to the sounds of a commotion that sounded like it was coming from her backyard. When she looked out the window, she saw the deputies on top of a man later identified by authorities as Neveaux.

"All I seen was the man handcuffed and they was beating the hell out of him," the woman said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scnlM7QEHK4

Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office deputies arrest Jerman Neveaux, 19, who authorities said shot JPSO Deputy David Michel Jr. on Wednesday, June 22, 2016. (Video courtesy of WVUE Fox 8 News)

In the video, a deputy who appears to be kneeling near what is possibly Neveaux's head can be seen delivering at least 10 blows.

At one point, it appeared that Neveaux had lost consciousness, the woman said. He was lying still on the ground when another deputy kicked him.

"I think that kick woke him up," the woman said.

Neveaux was still hospitalized Thursday evening with a fractured eye socket and abrasions to his face, according to Normand.

Neveaux's grandmother, Yvette Neveaux, does not believe he is responsible for Michel's death and said she thinks authorities grabbed the wrong person.

"I'm confused. They tell me he's in the hospital (and) nobody can see him," said his grandmother, Yvette Neveaux. "Why can't we see him? Because (deputies) beat the ? out of him?"

Normand has seen the video and said his investigators have identified the person who shot it.

"I wouldn't say that the video is clear and convincing of anything," he said.

From his viewing, he said he did not see any indication that deputies hit Neveaux while handcuffed. He acknowledged the video does show a deputy striking Neveaux, but said the suspect was still in possession of the .38-caliber pistol they later recovered from him.

The deputies were also searching for a possible second suspect. Investigators later determined Neveaux acted alone.

Detectives canvassed the neighborhood Thursday morning to speak with witnesses to the arrest, he said. Anyone else who would like to provide information about the incident is asked to contact the Sheriff's Office at 504-364-5300.

Normand directed those who feel uncomfortable talking to Sheriff's Office detectives to contact the FBI.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's been released from the hospital and booked and denied bond.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Many people in nearby offices saw deputies swarm the area and Pebble Walk in search of the gunman as the Sheriff's Office's helicopter circled overheard. Authorities eventually caught the suspect during the manhunt. Fortunato said witness accounts indicate the suspect acted alone.

I know what that feels like. I wish he would've got away.....
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    They made sure to emphasize that he was a man.
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's gonna come to court wearing one of those Hannibal Lecter masks.

Pig logic: Murder multiple unarmed black men with impunity, almost never get prosecuted for it. Then act surprised when one those young black men clap one of yours.

According to the cowards punching & kicking the (handcuffed) suspect......

"Revenge is the sweetest joy, next to getting ? ."

-2pac voice
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    walking closely behind a nervous looking man near Manhattan Boulevard and Ascot Road.

Michel, a nearly 10-year veteran of the sheriff's office, stopped Jerman Neveaux and tried to search him, Normand said. But the teen turned and, gun in hand, reached over Michel's back, Normand said, firing one shot into the deputy's clavicle area. Jerman Neveaux then fired two more shots into Michel's back as both fell to the ground.

Wait what.

He got stopped and frisked because the guy walking in front of him was nervous?

Whatever...just because he's police doesn't mean everyone is going to respect police doing ? .
    idkwiz-khalifashrugwhatever.gif

700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Give that young ? a medal
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What started as a pedestrian stop...

Fair.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options