Reason Debate: "I don't care if you can rap or not, as long as you can make good music"

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited June 2016 in The Reason

Reason Debate: "I don't care if you can rap or not, as long as you can make good music" 35 votes

Yes
22%
anduinBcotton5metal face terroristNothingButTheTruthxxCivicxxblackgod813Negro_CaesarBazz-B 8 votes
No
28%
playmaker88qawshunChillaDaKillanujerz84Cabana_Da_Don32DaysOfInfinitiBrideofKillaBangEm_Bart Smokey Tha BanditTayGettem 10 votes
Maybe
22%
eternal soldiertharealest561emaculateBDBIIDits....JOHN BSoloman_The_Wisebears2248pachá12 8 votes
Lebron >>> Bird
25%
soul rattlerBackInWhitetompetrez3StoneColdMikeyLike WaterBuilt 4 cuban linxCashmoneyDuxLouis DevinearTsotsi Cape Town 9 votes

Comments

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The rap music I consider good, has "good" rapping on it.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends on situation

Most of the ? folks on here say cant rap that others say make good music also excel at another piece of rap, just not the lyrical aspect, for example Gucci has a nice flow, ehh idk I'm just talking, I like good songs, if they can rappity rap too. great!
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whos even an example of an artist that can't rap, but makes good rap music?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »

I wouldnt say good myself but y'all think it it is....

Future
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Interesting...
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

I personally think he is the definition of BFI but I've seen folks give fetty wap props
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wait I dont understand the question. How can you make great music if you cannot rap?
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends the mood im in honestly.
  • ChillaDaKilla
    ChillaDaKilla Members, Banned Users Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Beta wrote: »

Future

Heres my thing with Future if
    He didn't have a strong ear for production would he even have the same hype ?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Future

Obviously not
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The issue with this many times is someone has sub par rap skills and you claim they make "good music" then the credit most times is to the producer. Which i feel is an issue in rap. People claim so and so makes good music but they don't produce the track or apply the in most cases effects that a producer or sound engineer creates. So really that rapper has limited talent and a great production team.

In the 90s and 2000'? makers like Nelly and Luda had hits that were not super lyrical but they wrote bars that were well planned and catchy. That takes skill. The issue nowadays is the some of the so called hit makers are mumbling sub par hooks and have no writing skills or variety to the hits. The reason the song is hot is because the producer did all the work.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kanye West
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

Future

Production is a key part of a good song
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Good music is subjective so even if the rapper can't spit if the individual is feeling the music then the lyrics don't matter.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options

Nellyville. Pretty decent album. Lyrically, woat.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you label the music as rap/hip hop then the rapping better be good. (Cole, Kendrick, Pusha etc)

If you just making pop music in which you happen to rap (Drake, Future, Ye, Rae Sremmurd etc) I won't knock you.

Just call what you do what it is, POP, popular or popping, music
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lebron >>> Bird
    Kanye and Nelly can rap, they shouldn't be named in here
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It depends. I ? wit Jeezy cuz I like his music but you'll never hear me argue that he's a good rapper. I know on his greatest day he's just average at best but I like the music.
  • kzzl
    Options
    Rap isn't just about having great lyrics. It's the very distinctive way in which you deliver those lyrics. Them being exceptional lyrist isnt the defining factor, it's just an advantage.

A person that can't rap doesn't grasp the basic song structure of a rap song and so can't make good rap music.

Eazy E in his first attempt in SOC is what people that can't rap look like and stay like. Silk The Shocker is arguably another. Look at the mistakes rappers make in studio footage and have to do retakes for. Folks that can't recognize or correct that stuff are people that can't rap.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rap isn't just about having great lyrics. It's the very distinctive way in which you deliver those lyrics. Them being exceptional lyrist isnt the defining factor, it's just an advantage.

A person that can't rap doesn't grasp the basic song structure of a rap song and so can't make good rap music.

Eazy E in his first attempt in SOC is what people that can't rap look like and stay like. Silk The Shocker is arguably another. Look at the mistakes rappers make in studio footage and have to do retakes for. Folks that can't recognize or correct that stuff are people that can't rap.

Arguably? More like, prototype. I thought that ? broke barriers as the first stuttering MC until I found out it wasn't nothin wrong with him. If explosive dierrhea was set to a hip hop track. You could call it a silkk the shocker comeback record and nobody would know the difference.
  • kzzl
    edited June 2016
    Options
    _Lefty wrote: »

Arguably? More like, prototype. I thought that ? broke barriers as the first stuttering MC until I found out it wasn't nothin wrong with him. If explosive dierrhea was set to a hip hop track. You could call it a silkk the shocker comeback record and nobody would know the difference.

I agree but apparently people are fans of his so I was lenient.

But check this out...

How hard would it be to hear an accapella in a foreign language and know if it's a rap song? With just an accapella and a metronome playing, I bet ? would know what type of song they were listening too. So it's more than just having tight rhymes.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That 'but he makes good music' is one of hip hops biggest cop outs. It's up there with mixtapes. Most times the music these wack ? are makin' isn't good. Quite the opposite.

• 5th Letter
    Options
    That 'but he makes good music' is one of hip hops biggest cop outs. It's up there with mixtapes. Most times the music these wack ? are makin' isn't good. Quite the opposite.

That's used when the rapper is ass.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    You have dumb ? calling Future, YG, Rae Shummard etc Dope High Quality Rapping. Terms usually and normally used for mcs who can rap and rap well. That ? got everything all ? up.