Options
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Du need to just stay home for rest of week if thats the case
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/08/remembering-philando-castile-everything-mr-phil-did-was-for-the-kids
    'This is bigger than Philando': family waits to speak to investigators about shooting

The family of Philando Castile, the 32-year-old fatally shot by Minnesota police this week, said on Friday that investigators had not yet spoken with them about his death, while the county prosecutor vowed to prosecute the case “to the fullest extent of the law”, if charges are warranted.

Speaking in an interview with CNN, Diamond Reynolds, Castile’s girlfriend, said she wanted justice in the case.
    But, she said: “Today is not only about justice, and getting justice ... it’s about all the families who have lost people.”

When asked about the overnight shooting spree in Dallas, which left five police officers dead and several wounded, Reynolds – whose shocking live video of Castile’s last moments was shared across the US – said her boyfriend’s death represented a larger, widespread problem.

“This thing that has happened in Dallas, it was not because of something that transpired in Minnesota today,” she said. “This is bigger than Philando … this is bigger than all of us.”

Castile’s mother, Valerie, told CNN there would be peaceful protests in Minnesota, before returning to the loss of her son.

“My son died just the other day and I haven’t had sleep in almost 48 hours,” she said.

The pair said they had not heard from investigators about the shooting and had difficulty with officials when trying to make arrangements for viewing his body until Friday.

“I have not been in contact with investigators,” Castile said. “No one has reached out to me.”

Reynolds added that she was struggling to grieve, something compounded by the fact her daughter was set to graduate from pre-school on Friday.

“I’m tired,” she said. “My daughter, I’m just trying to keep her strong, and encourage her and constantly keep praying for justice.”

The family’s remarks followed a steady stream of protests on Thursday through St Paul, Minnesota, where Castile was killed after a traffic stop on Wednesday.

Earlier on Friday, tensions flared after about 100 protesters and police officers squared off during a march. But Mica Grimm, an organizer of Black Lives Matter Minneapolis, said there was “a whole different tension going on” compared to Dallas.

Following a vigil on Thursday at the school where Castile worked, Grimm said a smaller group of roughly two dozen people broke away in the evening , and began marching to Larpenteur Avenue and Fry Street, the intersection in nearby Falcon Heights about five miles away where Castile was killed.

The group moved along a light-rail route, disrupting traffic and at one point halting transit service. Grimm said the crowd swelled to about 200 people along the way to the scene of Castile’s death.

When the group made the return trip, she said “there was a small group that was upset”.

At one point, she said, someone smashed a window of a police cruiser, and, along Grand Avenue, storefront windows were broken by rocks. Police then quickly assembled.

Protesters formed a line and linked arms in an effort to de-escalate the situation. “People started chanting, expressing how they felt about Black Lives Matter,” Grimm said.

The situation felt significantly heated, she added, given that the details of the killings of five police officers in Dallas were still coming out. “What happened in Dallas is going to change everything,” she said.

St Paul police did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

At a press conference on Friday, Ramsey county attorney John Choi said he had spoken with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension superintendent, Drew Evans, and added that both offices had been corresponding since Thursday morning.

“He has assured me that they are making this investigation a top priority,” Choi said. “I have asked for a prompt and thorough investigation. Both of these goals are equally important to uphold.”

Choi said it was common for his office to bring similar cases before a grand jury, but said he had not decided if the Castile shooting would be presented to one yet.

“I believe there are benefits to [a grand jury]. However, I will decide how best to proceed at a later time,” he said.

Minnesota law requires the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that an officer’s use of force wasn’t justified, he continued. “The use of deadly force is justified only when necessary to protect the officer, or another, from apparent death or great ? harm,” he said.

But if charges were brought by a grand jury or his office, Choi said the case would be vigorously prosecuted.

“[If] charges are warranted in this case … I assure you that we will prosecute this case to the fullest extent of the law,” he said.

Even before the chaos that engulfed Dallas on Thursday, the US had had a tumultuous week. On Tuesday, a Louisiana man, Alton Sterling, was shot and killed by police officers.

Then, on Wednesday, came the fatal shooting of Castile. He had been visiting his hometown of St Louis, Missouri, over the weekend for a family reunion and had only been home for a day before he was killed in a suburb of St Paul.

• stringer bell
    Options

In St Paul on Thursday, Diamond Reynolds told a crowd how her boyfriend had been killed. After leaving work, she said, Castile had picked up her four-year-old daughter.

They went to a grocery store. Castile got his hair cut. Then, around 9pm, officers from the St Anthony police department pulled over Castile’s vehicle in Falcon Heights for a broken headlight.

“The officer asked for licence and registration,” Reynolds told the crowd. “As my boyfriend, Philando, went to reach for his identification, which he always kept in his right backside pocket, he began to let the officer know that he was concealed and carried, he was armed.”

Moments later, shots rang out. “Not one shot, not two shots, not three shots, but five shots,” Reynolds said. “For no reason.”

At that moment, Reynolds made the incident public by launching a live video feed on Facebook.

No other injuries were reported, officials said. The police officers, identified as Jeronimo Yanez and Joseph Kauser,radioed for an ambulance. Castile was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he was declared dead at 9.37pm.

“He was reaching for his wallet and the officer just shot him in his arm,” Reynolds said in the 10-minute video. While she spoke, Castile lay slumped across the car seat, with blood stains on his shirt. The camera continued to roll as Reynolds was detained. At one point, her daughter can be heard trying to console her: “It’s OK, mommy,” she said.

As the cafeteria supervisor of JJ Hill Montessori Magnet school, Castile had a reputation as a gentle man who ensured the school’s 400 pupils were well fed. While children ran about the school playground, people swapped stories about Castile during an hourlong vigil on Thursday evening.

“Everything Mr Phil did in this school was for the kids,” said Tony Fragnito, former chairman of the JJ Hill parent teacher organisation.

Speaking at the vigil for Castile at JJ Hill, Reynolds said: “They killed him while he was still wearing his seatbelt … They killed him as he was reaching for his identification.” The Hennepin County medical examiner said on Thursday that Castile died from multiple gunshot wounds.

Valerie Castile also spoke at the vigil. She thanked the massive crowd for their presence, saying her son would have been proud to have seen “how many people are supporting him under these unfortunate circumstances”.

She added: “He was my one and only son, and he was executed by the police. It was my son today, but it could be yours tomorrow.”

Yanez, who shot Castile multiple times, and Kauser have been placed on administrative leave. The St Anthony police department, which contracts police services with Falcon Heights, turned the investigation of the shooting over to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, and it is ongoing.

The bureau said in a statement late on Thursday that witnesses were being interviewed, and several videos, including squad car footage of the shooting, had been collected. St Anthony officers do not wear body cameras, the bureau said.

On Thursday, Minnesota’s governor, Democrat Mark Dayton spoke out against the police officers’ conduct and blamed the death of Castile on racial bias. “Would this have happened if the driver and passenger were white?” he said at a press conference.

The governor called for a federal investigation into the shooting, but his words did not ease the grief of family and friends. After the vigil at JJ Hill, Dayton briefly met Castile’s family at a rally in front of the governor’s residence, where protesters had begun to gather on Wednesday and the crowd continued to swell overnight.

By Thursday evening, the protest grew tense as people showed signs of frustration.

Castile’s shooting comes after an incident several months ago in Minneapolis when police officers shot and killed 24-year-old Jamar Clark. Prosecutors at the state and federal level declined to bring charges against the officers involved.

Monique Tweh, 27, and her husband, Richmond, had driven from nearby Maple Grove to show their support for Castile and his family. Standing on Larpenteur Avenue, She held a sign that stated: “You will be in our hearts, Philando Castile.”

“No one should die over a traffic stop,” she said.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/nashville-officer-decommissioned-over-comments-minnesota-police-shooting#stream/0
    Nashville Officer Decommissioned Over Comments On Minnesota Police Shooting

Metro Police Chief Steve Anderson has decommissioned an officer from the Hermitage Precinct after a Facebook post regarding the shooting of Philando Castile in Minnesota.

Officer Anthony Venable made the post on his personal account Thursday afternoon. In an online discussion of the shooting, Venable made the comment “Yeah. I would have done 5.”

This is an apparent reference to the number of shots fired by the officer in the Minnesota case.

Venable claims he was being sarcastic

Chief Anderson says the department is treating the matter “very seriously” and decided to take action “regardless” of the original intent.

Venable has been with the police department for eight years and currently works the midnight shift.

I'm sure this will get zero media attention...
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ^^^he says he woulda done 5 with the understanding that Phil was completely innocent.

He basically admitting cops are Predators
  • stringer bell
    edited July 2016
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/09/us/philando-castile-jeronimo-yanez.html?_r=0
    Details Emerge of Philando Castile Shooting, and Minnesota Protests Carry Into Morning

ST. PAUL — Protests over the fatal shooting of Philando Castile by a suburban police officer stretched well into Friday morning near the Minnesota governor’s residence, as new details about the encounter emerged and many here continued calling for a federal inquiry.

Late Thursday night, the authorities said Mr. Castile, a 32-year-old cafeteria supervisor at a St. Paul school, had been killed by multiple gunshot wounds, and the medical examiner ruled his death a homicide. State investigators identified the officer who shot him as Jeronimo Yanez, a four-year veteran of the St. Anthony Police Department.

Much remained unknown about the events leading up to the shooting, about Officer Yanez’s background, and about whether the Justice Department would open a separate, federal investigation into the case.

All through Thursday, hundreds of protesters had gathered outside the governor’s residence in St. Paul, many prompted to act by the Facebook Live video streamed by Mr. Castile’s girlfriend showing the graphic aftermath of the shooting. Both Gov. Mark Dayton, a Democrat, and President Obama spoke out after the shooting, expressing concern about encounters with police officers that have left African-Americans like Mr. Castile dead.

But as night fell in St. Paul and chanting continued, word spread about the shooting of several officers in Dallas after a protest march there. Some Minnesota demonstrators stood together to watch the news footage, and roughly a dozen St. Paul police officers, including a canine unit, circled up in the parking lot of a nearby church, an apparent increase in force from earlier in the evening.

Even with a turnout that numbered in the thousands, the Minnesota protests remained peaceful but forceful on Thursday. As midnight passed and the crowd waned, the scene grew more tense at times, with face-offs between the remaining protesters and officers in riot gear.

“If you throw rocks, we will use riot control munitions,” police officers told protesters at one point. By about 3 a.m., the scene seemed to have calmed again, though some demonstrators remained outside the governor’s mansion.

Hours earlier, some of Mr. Castile’s relatives, including a sister who said she considered him a father figure, addressed the protesters and spoke of their grief.

“That was my father, and they took that away from me,” said the sister, Allysza Castile. “Something has to change because they are killing our black men.”

In speeches and interviews, many who knew Mr. Castile recalled him as a gentle, kind man who was passionate about his job. Sami Gabriel, president of Teamsters Local 320, said she had known Mr. Castile since he joined the union in 2002. She said Mr. Castile was a “quiet person” who was well regarded by co-workers and beloved by students in the St. Paul school cafeteria where he worked.

“He was a great role model,” said Ms. Gabriel, who said Mr. Castile excelled in what traditionally has been a female-dominated profession. “And to have an African-American male in a lunchroom with kids who look up to him is a testament to who he was.”

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which is investigating his death, said the shooting happened after Officer Yanez and another officer, Joseph Kauser, pulled Mr. Castile over Wednesday night in Falcon Heights, a suburb of St. Paul that St. Anthony police are contracted to patrol.

Investigators gave few details about what had happened, but they said that Officer Yanez had approached from the driver’s side and Officer Kauser from the passenger’s side, and that Officer Yanez eventually opened fire. State officials said a gun was recovered from the scene, though the Facebook Live video suggested Mr. Castile might have had a permit to carry a gun legally. State officials said they were barred by law from saying whether Mr. Castile had a concealed-carry permit.

Investigators released scant information about Officer Yanez, though he was mentioned in last year’s St. Anthony Police Department annual report as giving a tour to Cub Scouts, participating in a “Shop With a Cop” program with local youth and volunteering at a Cinco de Mayo celebration. That report also said Officer Yanez was a member of an organization for Latino police officers. He and Officer Kauser are now on standard administrative leave.

No one answered the door Thursday night and the lights were turned off at a home where records indicated Officer Yanez lives.

Sean Gormley, executive director of Law Enforcement Labor Services, the union representing St. Anthony officers, released a statement calling the Facebook Live video “emotional” and “difficult to watch,” while still urging due process for the officers.

“It’s critically important to remember, despite the graphic nature of the video, that there is still a great deal we don’t know about what happened in this incident and why,” Mr. Gormley said.

Smh.. It's truly sad that good positive brother was murder like he was.. This man was doing good in his community.. Plus he was going above and beyond at his job.. Not only doing his job at high level but he also trying to be a strong role model to those kids at the school where he worked.. I really feel so bad for his family and friends that he was taken away from them by that coward w/ a badge...
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/nashville-officer-decommissioned-over-comments-minnesota-police-shooting#stream/0
    Nashville Officer Decommissioned Over Comments On Minnesota Police Shooting

Metro Police Chief Steve Anderson has decommissioned an officer from the Hermitage Precinct after a Facebook post regarding the shooting of Philando Castile in Minnesota.

Officer Anthony Venable made the post on his personal account Thursday afternoon. In an online discussion of the shooting, Venable made the comment “Yeah. I would have done 5.”

This is an apparent reference to the number of shots fired by the officer in the Minnesota case.

Venable claims he was being sarcastic

Chief Anderson says the department is treating the matter “very seriously” and decided to take action “regardless” of the original intent.

Venable has been with the police department for eight years and currently works the midnight shift.

I'm sure this will get zero media attention...

venable.jpg
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    powface wrote: »
    Almost every day now...how long will the innocent civilians stand by and be victimized by those that swore an oath to protect them?

In my opinion a broken tail light does not warrant pulling someone over and running their information, the police could have easily just drove next to him and mentioned it. The sad reality this is just a pathetic ploy for the State to collect revenue from the citizens. When is the last time you went to traffic court? ? sickening.

Man I just got hit with a super speeder ticket by a ? ass cop who was pulling over people for the hell of it. at court the ticket is $700 with the only option to go to drivers class which$ $120 and $500 for the option. If u take it to court u are automatically put on probation. ? is crazy... ? pulled me over ? I had my dorag on and I made eye contact with him while driving.Talked to a Asian chick in line behind me and he pulled her over 7 min after me with the same ? . The whole system is ? and ? up.

screen-shot-2012-05-14-at-10-26-58-pm.png

Needed a haircut. It laid my hair down... come on b u know what that is
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://gawker.com/cop-on-apparent-police-scanner-audio-said-philando-cast-1783339741
    Cop on Apparent Police Scanner Audio Said Philando Castile Looked Like a Robbery Suspect "'Cause of the Wide-Set Nose"

The local NBC affiliate KARE has a recording of what seems to be police scanner audio from the moments before St. Anthony police officers stopped Philando Castile on Wednesday. “The two occupants just look like people who have been involved in a robbery,” a man can be heard saying on the tape. “The driver looked more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide-set nose.”

KARE notes that it has not been able to independently verify the authenticity of the tape, but that a license plate number mentioned matches Castile’s car, and that the locations mentioned correspond to the stop as well. Shortly after the officers pulled Castile over, Officer Jeronimo Yanez shot him and killed him, apparently as he reached for his wallet. The audio is below, followed by a transcript. (KARE redacted Castile’s plate number.)

Officer: I’m going to stop a car...I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over.

The two occupants just look like people who have been involved in a robbery. The driver looked more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide-set nose.

A minute and a half later on the recording, according to KARE, an officer frantically calls dispatch, mentioning shots fired.

Officer: Shots fired, Larpenteur and Fry.

Dispatch: Copy. You just heard it? You just heard the shots fired?

Officer: Code 3! Shots fired.

Dispatch: Copy. Shots fired, Larpenteur and Fry. Do you need medics?

Officer: Code 3!

Dispatch: Copy. Medics, Code 3 to Larpenteur and Fry.

Officer: One adult female taken into custody. Driver at gunpoint.

The stop that precipitated Castile’s death was far from the first time police pulled him over. According to NBC News reporter Tom Winter, he’d been stopped 31 times for traffic violations since 2002.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    powface wrote: »
    Almost every day now...how long will the innocent civilians stand by and be victimized by those that swore an oath to protect them?

In my opinion a broken tail light does not warrant pulling someone over and running their information, the police could have easily just drove next to him and mentioned it. The sad reality this is just a pathetic ploy for the State to collect revenue from the citizens. When is the last time you went to traffic court? ? sickening.

Man I just got hit with a super speeder ticket by a ? ass cop who was pulling over people for the hell of it. at court the ticket is $700 with the only option to go to drivers class which$ $120 and $500 for the option. If u take it to court u are automatically put on probation. ? is crazy... ? pulled me over ? I had my dorag on and I made eye contact with him while driving.Talked to a Asian chick in line behind me and he pulled her over 7 min after me with the same ? . The whole system is ? and ? up.

screen-shot-2012-05-14-at-10-26-58-pm.png

Needed a haircut. It laid my hair down... come on b u know what that is

it was more about the asian
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? got killed because he had a "wide set nose?" What's wrong with this country?
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/funds-pour-in-to-support-family-of-philando-castile_us_577fc418e4b01edea78d8ea1
    Funds Pour In To Support Family Of Philando Castile

Donors have come together to support the grieving family of Philando Castile, a 32-year-old black man who was shot and killed by police during a traffic stop in a Minnesota suburb on Wednesday.

Funds are pouring in for two campaigns set up in memory of Castile, whose death was captured on a Facebook Live video shot by his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds.

Director Xavier Burgin established the first GoFundMe campaign, which as of Friday afternoon had collected over $100,000. Burgin said he will hand over all the funds to Castile’s mother, Valerie, or her representative.

Castile’s sister, Allysza, set up a second campaign with the hopes of also supporting the family.

“We just lost a very good man ― never in trouble, a law-abiding citizen,” Allysza wrote on the GoFundMe page.

As of Friday afternoon, that fund had gathered more than $37,000.

• stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.startribune.com/bca-squad-video-in-castile-case-won-t-be-released-yet/386082391/
    BCA: Squad video in Castile case won't be released yet

Squad car video of the Philando Castile incident is in the hands of state investigators, but they have refused to release it to the public.

Jill Oliveira, a spokeswoman for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), on Friday called the video “investigative data” and therefore not public until the inquiry is complete.

The Star Tribune requested the video under Minnesota’s Data Practices Act, which states that certain data about a police response or incident remain public, even if part of an active investigation.

Stacie Christensen, director of a Minnesota agency that interprets the state’s public records law, said the BCA “may be right” in its decision. When public and nonpublic data that are part of an active investigation are so inextricably intertwined that a government agency can’t redact the nonpublic portions, the entire document can be withheld, Christensen said. She cited a 1993 decision by the Court of Appeals.

Not everyone agrees.

“How does she know it’s inextricably intertwined?” said Don Gemberling, spokesman for the Minnesota Coalition on Government Information.

Gemberling, a retired lawyer who helped draft the law enforcement section of Minnesota’s public records law, said the video should be made public.

“I think what the statue is saying is that when these things happen, certain basic elements of data about the situation are always public,” Gemberling said. That’s true whether it’s a document or a video, he said.

Gemberling acknowledged that an agency is “on pretty safe ground to withhold the video” if it provides the information in another form, such as a copy of the police incident report.

As of Friday evening, the city still had not provided an incident report. St. Anthony City Attorney Jay Lindgren said the city plans to release basic information about the police response, as well as some personnel data.

“Given the volume of requests coming in, we cannot provide you with an estimate of when this process will be completed,” Lindgren told the Star Tribune via e-mail Friday.

Smh...
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.startribune.com/philando-castile-had-permit-to-carry-gun/386054481/
    Philando Castile had permit to carry gun

Philando Castile had a valid permit to carry a gun when he was shot and killed by a St. Anthony police officer, a source confirmed to the Star Tribune Friday.

Castile, a 32-year-old school cook from St. Paul, was killed by a St. Anthony police officer during a traffic stop in Falcon Heights Wednesday night. His final minutes were live-streamed by his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, who was a passenger in the car.

In the video, Reynolds said Castile told the officer, Jeronimo Yanez, that he had a permit and was carrying a gun. Yanez shot Castile multiple times.

“He’s licensed to carry, he was trying to get his ID, his wallet out of his pocket and he let the officer knew he had a firearm and was reaching for his wallet,” Reynolds said in the video as a bloodied Castile lay in the driver’s seat dying.

Although the names of gun permit holders are not public under state law, a source confirmed Castile was issued the permit when he lived in Robbinsdale.

Yanez and his partner that night, Joseph Kauser, are on paid administrative leave. On Friday the Falcon Heights City Council, which contracts with the St. Anthony police department, hired a public relations consultant in the wake of the shooting.

Yanez has been with the St. Anthony police department since 2011. Gov. Mark Dayton has asked the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and federal authorities to investigate Castile’s death.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.startribune.com/what-we-know-about-the-officer-who-fatally-shot-philando-castile/386016701/
    St. Anthony officers who made traffic stop are longtime friends, former classmates

Their names are still enshrined at their alma mater as Baton of Honor winners.

The faculty at Minnesota State University, Mankato’s law enforcement program chose Jeronimo Yanez and Joseph Kauser from about 500 students as the best in their class — an award given to promising future cops for their smarts, respect and leadership qualities.

The longtime classmates and friends-turned-colleagues graduated together in 2010. Two years later, both wore the gun and badge for the St. Anthony Police Department — their first jobs in law enforcement.

They were on duty together Wednesday evening when they pulled over Philando Castile, his passenger, Diamond Reynolds, and her 4-year-old daughter in a traffic stop. The encounter would spark grief and outrage across the world after Yanez shot Castile four times as he sat in the driver’s seat — the aftermath broadcast on Facebook by Reynolds.

The officers, whose names were released Thursday by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), remain on paid administrative leave while the shooting is under investigation. Neither officer could be reached by telephone or in person. But Yanez’s attorney, Thomas Kelly, said his client is cooperating with the investigation and remains distraught by the shooting.

“He’s very upset about this terrible tragedy,” Kelly said Friday. “He’s very saddened about the loss to Philando’s family and recognizes the tragedy of the whole event.”

Kelly wouldn’t discuss details about the night Castile was shot, only saying Yanez reacted to the actions of the driver.
    He added that Yanez has not been subject to disciplinary actions during his time with the St. Anthony police department.

He described Yanez, 28, as a kind man who gives generously of his time to the St. Anthony community. He said Yanez is Latino and described his participation in activities such as Cinco de Mayo parades.

Police officers are now on watch at Yanez’s home.

“This has all been very impactful on his life,” he said.

According to the BCA, Yanez approached Castile’s vehicle from the driver’s side; Kauser, 31, approached from the passenger side.

In a live Facebook video, Reynolds described what happened next: “He [Castile] told him he was licensed to carry and that he had his gun on him and then he started shooting. He started shooting for no reason.”

“I told him not to reach for it, I told him to get his hand off it!” a clearly panicked Yanez screams, only his arm and hand visible as he keeps the gun trained on a dying Castile.

“You told him to get his ID, sir, his driver’s license,” Reynolds replied.

Yanez, still pointing the gun, said nothing.

Castile died as a result of the gunshot wounds.

Yanez and Kauser, two of the best students in their class, their lives tied together since college, now face national scrutiny.

Long before the shooting, they were expected to shine in their profession. Side-by-side photos in a 2010 newsletter show Yanez and Kauser grinning in their graduation robes next to their instructor, a red, white and blue cord around their necks signifying the Baton of Honor.

To Paige Burke, a classmate and fellow Baton of Honor winner, both Yanez and Kauser were model students and “leaders of their class.” She remembers them excelling in the classroom, attending all of the extracurricular training, and being the first whom professors would seek out with any leadership opportunities.

The former chairman of the department, Jeff Bumgarner, remembers the same things when he taught the two.

“They reflected and embodied what we looked for,” he said.

He particularly remembers Yanez as someone who didn’t come from privilege, “a very nice, a sensible guy who got into law enforcement for the right reasons.”

“He was very interested in serving the community,” he said.

The two went through courses like Tactical Communication — in which officers learn what to do during a traffic stop. The protocol varies from department to department on how to approach drivers holding a permit to carry a firearm.

Under state law, drivers are not obligated to tell an officer they are armed unless asked. But, “Never let them actually grab [the gun] to show it,” said their instructor, Christian Dobratz.

In 2011, the mayor of St. Anthony swore Yanez in at the department. Kauser followed in 2013. In annual reports the department hailed Yanez for meeting with community members to teach bike safety, giving a tour to Cub Scouts and annually standing guard at the Law Enforcement Memorial Monument in front of the State Capitol.

Yanez lives in the Twin Cities with his wife and child. Both are members of a Catholic church. Neither officer has faced any lawsuits, court records show. Kauser does not appear to have received any citations. Yanez has received two, both in 2014, for violating snow emergency parking restrictions and for what appears to be missing license plates or tabs.

The city of St. Anthony is in the process of providing public data about their personnel records, its attorney told the Star Tribune.

What’s clear is that the two have never been involved in a confrontation like the one Wednesday night. The department’s interim chief said Wednesday night that there hadn’t been an officer-involved shooting in the department for 30 years.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    ? got killed because he had a "wide set nose?" What's wrong with this country?

Smh

Basically

He was racially profiled and murdered in front of his daughter
  • r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What this rumor he was wanted for a armed robbery
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    r.prince18 wrote: »
    What this rumor he was wanted for a armed robbery

From what I'm gathering he wasn't wanted or a person on interest for anything, he just "looked" like a suspect from a previous armed robbery at the time he was pulled over.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's crazy how people are trying to make being pulled over 30 times somehow relevant. ? I've been pulled over almost that many times in the same time period, do I deserve to be shot too? Nvm don't answer that.